The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Assimilate fix is a massive nerf

Treebiter

I started writing a reply about all sort of tweaks DE could make to Asborb and Assimilate better, but then realised that the things were fine before the nerf (in my eyes at least). I mean, feel free to fix Psychic Bolts, and if DE decided to buff Absorb, I wouldn't stop them, but Assimilate was perfect before.

I'm beginning to feel like a broken record, but To nix Nyx when there are so many other crazy-powerful frames out there is nuttier than squirrel S#&$. I have to believe this was ill-thought out, with little consideration given to the impact of the change, but the silecence is troublesome. Especially consdering how quick Rebecca was in replying initially.

Edited by Treebiter

43 minutes ago, RedDirtTrooper said:

She responded fairly recently on Reddit that it's still being discussed.

I'm a Reddit user, but I still find it strange that developers neglect updating their own forum in favour of posting on there. Do you have the link by any chance? It would be good to include here for others like myself who haven't seen it.

As a side note, I've now added Octavia to my list of frames that don't play nicely with Nyx. I guess it was metronome, but my energy drained in seconds.

Bad news? Someone help me translate what Rebecca said here?:nerd:

DE Community Manager (DERebecca)
4d

Sadly this type of speculation is rarely constructive. This fix really stemmed from a Lawful Neutral consistency path - nothing more. We will see if Chaotic Good will enter the game (i.e change something away from consistent design to allow the new).

2 minutes ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

Bad news? Someone help me translate what Rebecca said here?:nerd:

4d

Sadly this type of speculation is rarely constructive. This fix really stemmed from a Lawful Neutral consistency path - nothing more. We will see if Chaotic Good will enter the game (i.e change something away from consistent design to allow the new).

This is....cryptic

Wew lad :clem::clem::clem::clem::clem:

1 hour ago, Treebiter said:

I'm a Reddit user, but I still find it strange that developers neglect updating their own forum in favour of posting on there. Do you have the link by any chance? It would be good to include here for others like myself who haven't seen it.

As a side note, I've now added Octavia to my list of frames that don't play nicely with Nyx. I guess it was metronome, but my energy drained in seconds.

4d

2 hours ago, Legion216 said:

This is....cryptic

Wew lad :clem::clem::clem::clem::clem:

2 hours ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:
4d

I think I understood it. I think she means that they changed it because it was the "right" thing to do from a "mechanic" point of view. Since Absorb has that effect the augment should have too. But then she says that they might reconsider for their own goals/purposes to allow more variety to the game (basically saying that they might think of another change, maybe revert to what it was or a modified version with reduced drain for example).

So, yeah, there´s still HOPE! I find it funny actually, Nyx´s abilities are focused on changing someone´s mind, maybe she will be able to do so with the devs :D

>Nerfed
>killed

...do you actually realize that her 4° with that Augment it's actually a BETTER Hysteria in all sense? 
Because...You can actually use all weapons without any risk, including explosive ones. (Since the Tonkor Nerf, she probably the only one that can do that.)

Edit: Kinda forgot about the Sonicor and Staticor.

Edited by xS0nico

19 minutes ago, xS0nico said:

>Nerfed
>killed

...do you actually realize that her 4° with that Augment it's actually a BETTER Hysteria in all sense? 
Because...You can actually use all weapons without any risk, including explosive ones. (Since the Tonkor Nerf, she probably the only one that can do that.)

Volt can as well, Rhino IC charge IS, ice Chroma, Wukong, Zyphur, Trinity ..hmm

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

13 hours ago, xS0nico said:

>Nerfed
>killed

Not entirely. Valkyrs Hysteria may have been nerfed and may not be used constantly anymore, but Nyx has a bigger problem dealing with her team mates that steals her energy too quick for literally nothing but an near instant death. This becomes something more problematic at lvl 80+ missions where its best to stay in Assimilate as much as possible to not insta-die.

54 minutes ago, Mabitude said:

Not entirely. Valkyrs Hysteria may have been nerfed and may not be used constantly anymore, but Nyx has a bigger problem dealing with her team mates that steals her energy too quick for literally nothing but an near instant death. This becomes something more problematic at lvl 80+ missions where its best to stay in Assimilate as much as possible to not insta-die.

Which also isn't insane in terms of power. Why? 

Becuase a level 80+ Corpus Tech will eat through your energy pool pretty quick, not accounting for any backup he has. 

Valkyr's Hysteria has seen its fair share of changes and nerfs, but I think it's all right now. I still use it, but I focus on a more Warcry oriented build. Then again, I've been doing that since the augment came out. 

As for Absorb (and Assimilate), I don't often use them in public matches. I try to avoid it actually. Why? 

Becuase your teammates can (and will) often times get you killed if you try to use it.

If DE doesn't want to revert the infamous 'fix' , then they need to alter the ability. A full blow rework of it would be nice at this point.

Edited by KX297

Yup can confirm, my friend using Octavia went down with mallet up. I went into absorb with assimilate on and tried to revive them but their mallet drained my entire energy pool and we ended up both dying. Maybe they could add something that wouldn't allow friendly fire for the first 4 seconds of casting it, at least make iy useful for reviving friends. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)Phantoenix said:

Yup can confirm, my friend using Octavia went down with mallet up. I went into absorb with assimilate on and tried to revive them but their mallet drained my entire energy pool and we ended up both dying. Maybe they could add something that wouldn't allow friendly fire for the first 4 seconds of casting it, at least make iy useful for reviving friends. 

Or they could just put it back to what it was, it's not like it was rampant in the majority of missions anyway. A handful of people enjoyed, let that handful be happy.

The change has the right idea, but was applied from the wrong direction.

There SHOULD be parity between both Nyx ults.  But assimilate was the version that took the right direction with it.

We already know they can distinguish friendly and enemy fire.  Look at antimatter drop vs absorb.  Drop is friendly only, while absorb allows enemy fire as well.  It also has a storage cap.  We should give Nyx' absorb a similar treatment.

Give absorb a storage cap, and allow friendly fire to store damage for free up to this cap.  Enemy fire also adds to the damage stored (maybe separate from the friendly cap?  Or just let it cap out but keep absorbing with no more storage), but IT drains energy.  Remove the trolling aspect and introduce actual cooperation.  Free damage amp for Nyx by helping her, while she budgets her energy against enemy fire while taunting them and defending whatever is behind her bubble.

7 hours ago, Callback said:

There SHOULD be parity between both Nyx ults.  But assimilate was the version that took the right direction with it.

This summarizes my opinion on this perfectly.

The damage output even with a power strength build and massive amounts of damage absorbed does not put a dent in enemies above level 40. You are always more expedient when killing them with your weapons.

Moreover, Absorb at its core allows for trolling and being trolled. Ally damage absorb is a mechanic that makes your teammates a liability--even unwittingly so, if they use anything AoE or their secondary while you try to revive them--and yourself a menace when you stand in front of any weak-point bosses, such as Sargas Ruk or Vay Hek.

With that in mind, the best course of action would be to allow allies to shoot the bubble--much like Volt's shield, but without the damage bonuses. Nyx players would no longer be able to troll or be trolled, and Nyx would remain unchanged in power in solo play.

Removing this mechanic would mean less frustration with your teammates for everyone involved with virtually no change in how Nyx is used, as she's unable to regain energy in her 4 and liable to being killed in higher levels from ranged attacks when releasing that bubble and left in a vulnerable animation.

8 hours ago, Callback said:

The change has the right idea, but was applied from the wrong direction.

We already know they can distinguish friendly and enemy fire.  Look at antimatter drop vs absorb.  Drop is friendly only, while absorb allows enemy fire as well.  It also has a storage cap.  We should give Nyx' absorb a similar treatment.

Give absorb a storage cap, and allow friendly fire to store damage for free up to this cap.  Enemy fire also adds to the damage stored (maybe separate from the friendly cap?  Or just let it cap out but keep absorbing with no more storage), but IT drains energy.  Remove the trolling aspect and introduce actual cooperation.  Free damage amp for Nyx by helping her, while she budgets her energy against enemy fire while taunting them and defending whatever is behind her bubble.

storage cap is a great idea. im not one to use nyx as a damage frame because she isnt. all her kit is full on support. i always used absord specifically in dire situations like helping other get people up or knocking down nearby enemies to get a moment to breathe until they added that mechanic to drain her energy when teammates weapon fire gets absorded. i still play nyx. she still plays a great roll in a team. 

off topic. anyone feel like assimilate absorb reminds them of that moment in mass effect 2 when you were going through the collector ship with either miranda or that asari biotic field up? hehehehe.