Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Assimilate fix is a massive nerf

Treebiter

57 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

1. gray health bar = invulnerable

dq1pUx3.jpg

2. the halved radius is there because shes moving (not an acceptable drawback). the only enemies that proc magnetic are ancients disruptors (loaded them in simu didnt get magnetized not once). slow movement > no movement.

3. being able to almost indefinitely stay in it before is... ding ding ding broken. 

4. shes a utility frame. shes also a telepath more so than she is a telekinetic.

5. nullys apply to everyone again since you are invulnerable manics are no threat. opsery get destroyed by that so called small explosion radius.

no, revert is a no go. side grade is what they should be and hopefully will be aiming for.

1. Level 20 ancients...lol please 

Level 80+ Ancients, Bombards, Heavy gunners Eximus esc esc can pop assimilate no problems.

2. Magnetic is what your assimilate/absorb  explosion procs ding ding...do u even Nyx at all?? Lol

3. Almost indefinitely? ..hardly. maybe on Mercury...

4. Wrong

5.Maniacs are the grineer nullys. Ospreys and nullys can pop your bubble vary fast.

Side grade is absolutely a NO. Revert and a rework is a strong possibility, hopefully DE will do what's right for the real Nyx mains not the possers hopping on the "nerf wagon" like yourself.

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

18 minutes ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

1. Level 20 ancients...lol please 

Level 80+ Ancients, Bombards, Heavy gunners Eximus esc esc can pop assimilate no problems.

2. Magnetic is what your assimilate/absorb  explosion procs ding ding...do u even Nyx at all?? Lol

3. Almost indefinitely...hardly. 

4. Wrong

5.Maniacs are the grineer nullys. Ospreys and nullys can pop your bubble vary fast.

Side grade is absolutely a NO. Revert and a rework is a strong possibility, hopefully DE will do what's write for the real Nyx mains not the possers hopping on the "nerf wagon" like yourself, 

its almost too funny. i was just standing there even if i had loaded in 100s i could have just stood there in it while using chaos and using mind control and using whatever weapon i pleased because it allows you to do ALL of those things. the point is assimilate has no negative drawback outside of people trolling you. it completely replaces absorb which is not what its supposed to do. we both want a change but the difference is you want cheese and i want some semblance of balance. enemy lvl was never in question since this is a thread mostly about Friendly Fire. but hey whatever you need to tell yourself i resign to which ever decision DE makes and will still continue to rock nyx as i see fit. oh and you can drop the being condescending its unbecoming of you.

BTW loaded in 5 lv 80 grineer manic and destroyed their face it was almost to easy being able to be invulnerable and be able to use chaos and shoot? craziness. notice at any given time during endless they only ever throw 1 or 2  manic at you within a certain time frame. with that said ciao.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

After reading all these coments and thinking about what could be improved without being OP I created my own version of a rework for Nyx. Please say what you guys think of it.

Passive: The same (30% chance). If the enemy only has meele he will stumble and fall down.

1° skill (Mind control): Controlled enemies CANNOT be affected by Nyx´s passive and the target gets 10/20/30/50% bonus attack speed for the duration of the ability. The target will suffer fatigue at the end of the ability, losing 10/20/40/50% of maximum health for 7 seconds (just like a viral proc). Not affected by power strenght.

2° skill (Psionic empowerment): Nyx buffs herself and her allies. The group gets 15/20/30/40% damage reduction and 15/20/30/45% more accuracy when firing. 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 m range. Lasts 5/7/10/12 seconds. Cannot be re-cast until the ability expires. Affected by power strenght. Max damage reduction at 75% and max accuracy gain capped at 150%

3° skill (Chaos): No change.

4° skill (Absorb): Change damage type of the blast to impact. If the total amount of absorbed damage is greater than the damage threshold when Nyx leaves her meditative state, all affected enemies have their armor reduced by 10/15/20/25% for 6/8/10/12 seconds. Also damages the targets´s shields, reducing the recovery rate of their shields by 50% (only if the threshold is surpassed). Energy drain is the same and you absorb damage from friends. However, max energy drain is capped at 15/12/8/7 per second. The armor/shield reduction cannot stack.

1° augment (Mind Freak): the same.

2° augment (Will of steel): Nyx projects a psionic aura around the allies that grants knockdown and stagger imunity for the duration of the skill.

3° augment (Chaos sphere): the same.

4° augment (Assimilate): Apply the changes I made for absorb. You can´t use other abilities but can fire weapons and use meele. All damage you do is reduced by 30% because of the bubble.

Phew! That´s it. With these changes Nyx has utility (1° skill), support (2° skill), crowd control (3° skill) and debuff/damage (4° skill). If you ask how Nyx´s 4° skill would cause armor reduction. Let´s say she created a kind of rift around the target that acts as some sort of mini portal. This portal allow any damage to pass through some of the armor. And yes there are stories of psionic portals.

For you guys to have an idea a normal Nyx with maxed flow has 375 energy. About Absorb let´s say your friends fire at the bubble of Absorb/Assimilate and increase the energy drain to 7 per second (limit). You can last for 53 seconds before all your energy is drained. I added the armor/shield reduction so that besides the mediocre damage of the blast you reduce the target´s defense for consecutive attacks and since it is a percentage it is viable even in endgame. Of course, I added the fact it cannot stack so you won´t strip the grinner from their armor, that would be overpowered. The damage you do in Assimilate is reduced by 30% so it is less effective to stay in the bubble and be a terminator but not so much as to render this trait useless.

Edited by HolySeraphin
Add new things

I'd like to say something in response to claims that Assimilate was overpowered to the point of being broken. Invulnerability certainly does have the potential to be overpowered and can trivialize game content. On the other hand, invulnerability is already an option on other warframes. Since arguments to nerf assimilate often bring up the issue of balance, we cannot look at Nyx in a vacuum and must consider precedents set by other warframes - Valkyr for instance. Let's do a head to head comparison:

Nyx with Assimilate (before "fix"):

- Invulnerability
- Resistance to CC and status effects
- No restriction on weapons and abilities

- Energy drain of 1/s and 8/s for every 1000 damage absorbed
- Energy can only be replenished by pickups and syndicate weapons
- Reduced movement speed; no sprinting and parkour
- Mod slot used for augment

Valkyr with Hysteria:

- Invulnerability
- Resistance to CC and status effects
- Restricted to using energy claws; no restriction on abilities
- No mobility restrictions
- Lifesteal
- No mod slots occupied by augment (for this comparison)

- Energy drain of 2.5/s increasing to 15/s; no additional cost for absorbed damage
- Energy can only be replenished by pickups
- Enemies must be out of range or LoS upon deactivation

Let's talk about what this means in the context of how these frames are played. (By the way, I'm by no means a Valkyr main and would gladly accept corrections from experienced Valkyr players).

Both abilities grant invulnerability and other benefits and impose some penalties. Reduced movement is a highly significant penalty for Nyx. All missions except perhaps Void defense and some Corpus defense missions require you to move around quite a bit in order to still be useful to the team (killing and CCing enemies in the right places, reviving teammates, etc.). Sitting in one place with Assimilate on is simply not practical. Sure, you won't die, but you won't be doing much either. The movement speed penalty also means it's more difficult to collect energy orbs to keep Assimilate going. Valkyr on the other hand, has no movement restrictions and will be killing enemies at close range, which makes energy collection for the maintenance of Hysteria easier.

Apart from mobility, Nyx's killing potential in not affected. Valkyr loses her ability to attack with ranged weapons, but given that most Valkyr players I've seen are highly melee-focused and that Valkyr's claws are quite powerful and benefit from mods, I wouldn't think restriction to using claws only is a severe penalty.

Valkyr has greater energy drain per second, but Nyx's drain is affected by absorbed damage. Valkyr's is not, so she could potentially ignore an arbitrarily large amount of damage. (More on exactly how much damage Nyx can take later)

Valkyr's Hysteria is in this state after a relatively recent rework. This means that Valkyr should represent quite well DE's current philosophy to balancing invulnerability-based abilities. Nyx's Assimilate does not seem to stand out in OP-ness compared to Hysteria, so saying it ruins game balance would be an overstatement at best.

The only aspect that can potentially be abused is the use of syndicate weapons to replenish energy. I would personally not be upset if this interaction went away. Otherwise, Assimilate does not need a nerf. But let's assume we really really badly want to nerf it. The way to do it would be to make it more self-limiting by, for example, increasing energy cost per second or making energy drain increase with time. This would encourage players to use the ability more judiciously when needed, and not keep it running for extended durations. Enabling friendly fire absorption simply makes the ability fail unpredictably due to circumstances outside the player's control. Original intent of developers with respect to this mechanic is irrelevant. What is relevant is the best solution in terms of gameplay. If Assimilate could take friendly fire from the get-go, I'd be making posts requesting that that feature be removed because it is not consistent with the ability's overall function.

Now some approximate calculations on how much damage mitigation Absorb/Assimilate actually provides:

Max energy efficiency and channeling efficiency (from efficiency and duration mods): 75%
I'll ignore armor for simplicity.
Let's assume we're taking damage over a 10s interval.
Cost to activate: 6.25
Drain per second multiplied by 10s: 10
Energy available for damage absorption: 225 - 6.25 - 10 = 208.75 (631.25 if P. Flow is equipped. I normally run without Flow because I find other mods in that slot more useful)
Cost per 1000 damage: 2 (assuming it is affected by efficiency, need to test this, otherwise 8)
Damage absorbed before energy runs out: (208.75 / 2) * 1000 = 104,375
Total effective hitpoints (assuming Vitality + Redirection and no armor) = 104,375 + 740 + 925 = 106,040
Total damage mitigation (damage needed to kill Nyx in Assimilate divided by damage needed to kill Nyx outside Assimilate) = ~63.7
(or 1 - (1/63.7), which is roughly ~98.4% mitigation)

Mesa's damage mitigation with Shatter Shield is 95%, which means only 5% of damage counts, which gives a damage mitigation value of (100% divided by 5%) = 20

Nyx's ultimate, together with a mod slot occupied by the augment, together with a bunch of penalties, is roughly 3 times more effective than Mesa's third, which introduces no penalties whatsoever (freedom to move, collect energy from any source, etc.). The difference is greater with Primed Flow, but that is yet another slot wasted (no other ability benefits). Of course, being totally invincible until you run out of energy does not have the same tactical implications as still being open to damage but only taking 5%, but I hope this provides a sense of perspective. I am repeating myself here, but if the level of survivability Assimilate provides is too OP for some, it is easy to make it more reasonable by tweaking the numbers (e.g. energy cost per damage absorbed). What we definitely do not need is to keep a mechanic that is unpredictable from the player's perspective and opens them up to trolling. Additionally, friendly fire absorption is completely untenable as a balancing measure because it penalizes any use of the ability, not just its abuse. For the nerf-happy, incremental energy drain would only penalize people who want to keep Assimilate on forever. Friendly fire means this situation (which happened the last time I played): I'm in a sortie and decide to turn Assimilate on for 3-5 seconds in a dangerous situation. A well-meaning teammate decides to wave an AOE weapon in my direction. I'm now with zero energy in the same dangerous position. OR: I'm reviving a downed teammate while standing in a pool of fire and being shot at by lv100 napalms. Said teammate forgets they're not supposed to shoot...

DE members, if you read this, please, please revert the change and then take as much time as you like/need to balance or rework the ability if you think that is best. Just please do not leave it as is and do not implement a different change rashly.

P.S. Being able to safely take out a few isolated level 100 enemies in the Simulacrum using Assimilate is not a demonstration that Assimilate is broken. I could mod Chaos for negative duration and stunlock those same enemies for as long as I have energy. Or I could just use Chaos with positive duration and pick them off from a distance. Or Irradiating Disarm. Or Hysteria. Or any half-decent CC ability in the game. Should we be shouting to nerf all those as well?

Edited by Cornelius.EE

On 4/15/2017 at 9:57 AM, EinheriarJudith said:

the augment doesnt morph the power it completely replaces the functionality of the power. that is counter productive. you arent meant to be an invulnerable tank even valkyr has her draw back for staying in hysteria. powers that make you invulnerable need to come at an extreme cost because you cant die while you channel them. reverting it back to its broken state is an aweful idea. instead they should damage absorb cap the base power/augment and just allow you to move with its mobility restrictions and allow you to shoot but disable her other powers. the augment allows you to do to much with almost no draw back making it take priority over the base power. half the dev team at DE dont want that and i side with them it ridiculous to want that kind of cheese. there is no griefing when you solo because griefing is caused by players. 

Nyx wasn't an invulnerable tank pre-Assimilate fix. Self-damage from explosive weapons shot too close and enemy fire could still potentially pop her bubble. It was the addition to friendly fire that made her from a viable high defensive tank fall into a crutching liability.

Also, there's a thin line in arguing "morphing a power" than "changing its functionality." I can also argue that Nekros' Despoil augment completely changes the functionality the player interacts with Desecrate and what setups s/he must undergo to check and balance health, energy, and armor on the field and in their mod setup, thereby "morphing the power" to suit a different approach.

edit: Also, Zephyr's Funnel Clouds augment. It creates 8 tornadoes that no longer pickup/ragdoll/CC enemies like the base 4 and is made to be used for purely offensive purposes.

Hydroid's Curative Undertow is another augment, where you have to mod for power and efficiency, along with range and duration, to supplement allies in your pool for healing while trapping oncoming enemies as well.

Changing of functionality and morphing the power go hand-in-hand. Assimilate did the same, trading the reflective offensive nature of Absorb for half its damage and range for gimped mobility, free use of weaponry and powers, and no longer retaining damage gains from friendly-fire and to a certain extent self-damage (which is the primary damage gain to boost Absorb's damage along with enemy fire; Assimilate did not gain any damage boosts from self-damage, but it still drained Nyx's energy regardless).

Edited by (PS4)Lei-Lei_23

3 hours ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

Changing of functionality and morphing the power go hand-in-hand. Assimilate did the same, trading the reflective offensive nature of Absorb for half its damage and range for gimped mobility, free use of weaponry and powers, and no longer retaining damage gains from friendly-fire and to a certain extent self-damage (which is the primary damage gain to boost Absorb's damage along with enemy fire; Assimilate did not gain any damage boosts from self-damage, but it still drained Nyx's energy regardless).

4 hours ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

~snip~

none of those powers even remotely change the functionality of the power in the same way assimilate does to absorb. despoil only swaps energy with hp, funnel cloud gives you 4 more tornadoes but only turns the CC off. absorb not only makes you stationary it also disables the use of weapons and powers. assimilate while invulnerable allows you to move shoot and use all the other powers. its not a simple change of functionality it is a straight up replacement. she can use a launcher as if it has no self damage can use all her abilities and can move in a power that pretty much locks ALL of those things out. remember i want them to do something about friendly fire draining all the energy too only because DE needs to remember that human beings play their game and those human beings are capable of toxicity. as it stands now the augment is fine with the exception of FF asking for more than that is absurd. assimilate absorb allows nyx to do things that would kill other squishy frames.

To DE keep up the good work we have 30+ frames you dont need to change their powers drastically. if people dont like a certain kit there are many other frames they can play with. you cant please them all and you shouldnt.

@EinheriarJudith Fatal Teleport, Fire Quake, Icy Avalanche, Irradiating Disarm, Vampire Leech, and Capacitance. I'd argue all of those augments radically change the abilities they are tied to to the point of completely changing the warframes role in a group. The thing that I really don't understand about your vehemence on the subject is that you have stated the FF thing is a problem, but then act like people wanting an ultimate worthy of being called an ultimate is "cheese". You act like absorb in it's current state is just magically the way it is meant to be, rather than grossly under powered for its cost as the result of a massive nerf. I just don't understand your point of view, I see so many other powers in the game that are just manifestly better ultimates than Absorb. Most of us don't want it to be some instant press 4 to win power, we'd just like it to not be a press 4 to do-negligible-damage-and-possibly-die-horrendously-without-its-protection-when-you-need-it-most power. Now, personally, for assimilate, I don't think Nyx should be allowed to use other abilities. I think the slow movement and ability to use weapons is plenty of advantage for the augment. Heck, I'd be fine with the augment completely removing the damage portion of the ability as well. I don't mind Absorb doing junk damage either, but if it's going to do junk damage then it ought to be reliable protection. If they don't want the protection reliable, then it ought to at least do enough damage to make it worth both the energy cost and the damage gathering setup phase. As it is right now, you can potentially spend 600 energy for the crappiest ultimate AoE damage in the game while being defenseless in the middle of a crowd of enemies that it fails to kill. It doesn't do its job as a panic button if you have teammates, and it doesn't do its job as a nuke pretty much ever. That leaves it's ability to stagger enemies as the only thing you can really depend on it for outside of solo play, and yet you seem to think that's just fine.

11 hours ago, EinheriarJudith said:

remember i want them to do something about friendly fire draining all the energy too only because DE needs to remember that human beings play their game and those human beings are capable of toxicity. as it stands now the augment is fine with the exception of FF asking for more than that is absurd. assimilate absorb allows nyx to do things that would kill other squishy frames.

- Having friendly-fire in Assimilate develops toxicity in griefing Nyx players by prematurely un/intentionally popping their bubble while tanking or rescuing allies during bleedout.

- The removal of FF from Assimilate develops toxicity in griefing other frames besides Nyx because "invulnerability or massive dip in damage reduction from the ability is too op and invalidates the usage of other frames." Ok. 

- This is not asking too much. And it is not absurd to ask for the removal of friendly fire on Assimilate because, as many of the pages before your post stands, have argued why the negation of FF on Assimilate has and is still not OP in practice.

- Don't pull a Simmons from RedvsBlue. /off-topic

Edited by (PS4)Lei-Lei_23

On 4/16/2017 at 9:29 PM, RedDirtTrooper said:

@EinheriarJudith Fatal Teleport, Fire Quake, Icy Avalanche, Irradiating Disarm, Vampire Leech, and Capacitance. I'd argue all of those augments radically change the abilities they are tied to to the point of completely changing the warframes role in a group.

Yep, agreed. Bolded Irradiating Disarm to emphasize my previous textless post.

Edited by POIKILO

On 3/9/2017 at 4:59 PM, Treebiter said:

So, for anyone who doesn't play Nyx or hasn't seen the 19.13.0 patch notes, Nyx's Assimilate augment has been 'fixed' so that it absorbs friendly fire like Absorb does.

Fine on paper. However...

For me, and a lot of other Nyx players I've talked to, Assimilate's primary purpose is to tank. It's a shield. It allows Nyx to soak up a lot of damage, and has some cool synergies with self-damage weapons, guardian derision and Ack & Brunt's electromagnetic shielding. It's a powerful abilitiy, and the only thing other than Chaos that makes Nyx stand out. In fact, without Assimilate, Nyx degenerates into a one-trick pony.

The problem with this fix is that it massively hobbles Assimilate to the point of near-uselessness in many situations. For one, it's very easy to pop the assimilate bubble by accident, but in addition, it's also possible to for another player to troll a Nyx by actively removing their assimilate bubble by firing upon it. Not only does this remove their main form of defence, it also leaves them without any energy - in short, dead.

If any one from DE reads this, I implore you to rethink this decision. One of the nice things about augment abilities is how they alter the base ability. Leave Absorb as the damage soaking mini-nuke, and return Assimilate to it's rightful place as a defensive shield. As someone who mains Nyx, if I wanted to deal a crap-ton of direct damage to my enemies, I'd use a different frame.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thought on this, especially fellow Nyx players.

Thanks for reading.

Nyx Changes:

• Nyx's Assimilate Augment for Absorb no longer Absorbs Friendly Fire.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:09 AM, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

- Having friendly-fire in Assimilate develops toxicity in griefing Nyx players by prematurely un/intentionally popping their bubble while tanking or rescuing allies during bleedout.

- The removal of FF from Assimilate develops toxicity in griefing other frames besides Nyx because "invulnerability or massive dip in damage reduction from the ability is too op and invalidates the usage of other frames." Ok. 

- This is not asking too much. And it is not absurd to ask for the removal of friendly fire on Assimilate because, as many of the pages before your post stands, have argued why the negation of FF on Assimilate has and is still not OP in practice.

- Don't pull a Simmons from RedvsBlue. /off-topic

VICTORY 

Nyx Changes:

On 4/16/2017 at 11:29 PM, RedDirtTrooper said:

@EinheriarJudith Fatal Teleport, Fire Quake, Icy Avalanche, Irradiating Disarm, Vampire Leech, and Capacitance. I'd argue all of those augments radically change the abilities they are tied to to the point of completely changing the warframes role in a group. The thing that I really don't understand about your vehemence on the subject is that you have stated the FF thing is a problem, but then act like people wanting an ultimate worthy of being called an ultimate is "cheese". You act like absorb in it's current state is just magically the way it is meant to be, rather than grossly under powered for its cost as the result of a massive nerf. I just don't understand your point of view, I see so many other powers in the game that are just manifestly better ultimates than Absorb. Most of us don't want it to be some instant press 4 to win power, we'd just like it to not be a press 4 to do-negligible-damage-and-possibly-die-horrendously-without-its-protection-when-you-need-it-most power. Now, personally, for assimilate, I don't think Nyx should be allowed to use other abilities. I think the slow movement and ability to use weapons is plenty of advantage for the augment. Heck, I'd be fine with the augment completely removing the damage portion of the ability as well. I don't mind Absorb doing junk damage either, but if it's going to do junk damage then it ought to be reliable protection. If they don't want the protection reliable, then it ought to at least do enough damage to make it worth both the energy cost and the damage gathering setup phase. As it is right now, you can potentially spend 600 energy for the crappiest ultimate AoE damage in the game while being defenseless in the middle of a crowd of enemies that it fails to kill. It doesn't do its job as a panic button if you have teammates, and it doesn't do its job as a nuke pretty much ever. That leaves it's ability to stagger enemies as the only thing you can really depend on it for outside of solo play, and yet you seem to think that's just fine.

Nyx Changes:

• VICTORY!!

15 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

It's amazing what complaining can accomplish. 

12 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Phew. Now Nyx can survive. Its very odd the fact she has only 1 power.

14 minutes ago, Jabarto said:

Cool, the problem still exists and the augment is a bandaid for it again. Congrats on fixing literally nothing.

Lol k , bet you guys are fun at party's..lol. Shnitt, bunch of f overally critical buzzkills. Wow

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

10 minutes ago, Jabarto said:

Cool, the problem still exists and the augment is a bandaid for it again. Congrats on fixing literally nothing.

Well, keep in mind, this was probably the easiest change to make. I wouldn't discount the possibility of other changes in the long run, and, hey, at least we have two viable Nyx builds again.

4 minutes ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

Lol k , bet you guys ate fun at party's. Shnitt, bunch of overally critical buzzkills. Wow

And you have no sense of humor. Should I have added the word sarcasm to my post? 

Edited by Miser_able