Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon WIP Rework: Showcased on Primetime #161

(PSN)lilkevin107

3 hours ago, Kierlak said:

Smite was one of the better first abilities before, it's still ok with this change.

Hallowed Ground still locks you to an area without anything like enough defensive value to make actually staying in it worthwhile, unless that armor buff is in the thousands now.

Renewal is still total, absolute garbage. It's mechanics are just the worst. Tying it to HG is not going to help.

Reckoning needs to not be tied to HG to have it try and be as good as Avalanche baseline.

The passive is...well it's garbage too. It may be better than the current one, but jesus, NOT having a passive is better than the current one.

Well, go apply to DE and show Scott how it's done. 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)lilkevin107 said:

It's not just you lol, it does feel that way. We just better hope that the armor reduction on Reckoning is good or noticeable.

For the hoops you have to jump through, it would have to be 100% armor removal at base power strength to even try to compete with Avalanche. Two casts, higher energy cost, longer time to apply, location dependent, it needs to be way stronger, or you have just created another Saryn problem of overly dependent 'synergy' that just isn't worth bothering with in actual play.

6 hours ago, Kierlak said:

Smite was one of the better first abilities before, it's still ok with this change.

Hallowed Ground still locks you to an area without anything like enough defensive value to make actually staying in it worthwhile, unless that armor buff is in the thousands now.

Renewal is still total, absolute garbage. It's mechanics are just the worst. Tying it to HG is not going to help.

Reckoning needs to not be tied to HG to have it try and be as good as Avalanche baseline.

The passive is...well it's garbage too. It may be better than the current one, but jesus, NOT having a passive is better than the current one.

well , is better than the old thing, DE still work very hard you know, dont become a toxic player !

22 minutes ago, VentiGlondi said:

Really, this whole inverse duration thing needs to be scrapped altogether.

It's one of the worst mechanics in the game, cause it pretty much works against the modding process.

This.

Million times this.

Make the rejuvenation ability work like a HP regeneration buff that lasts for as long as the modifiable duration allows, does not switch off if recipients' HP are capped, and bears the phoenix renewal buff through all the period.

Basically, make it a health-restoring and death-preventing analog of Rhino's roar.

That easy, really.

Edited by Teloch

Based on the WIP demo, I also feel the big gains here are Smite, and especially Hallowed Ground. :heart: Sanctify all the places!

As to the static vs aura argument: I would prefer Hallowed Ground be a static deployable to be able to affect multiple locations at a time. Not all missions are Exterminates. Our buddy Frost can attest to holding his ground as a viable strategy.

The proposal for Reckoning is not much of a change. Bonus damage is still flat damage. Eventually it will still hit that scaling wall, leaving only its knockdown ability, and radiation proc -- now an effect taken up by HG.

I still would suggest for Reckoning to look toward Blazing Chakram for inspiration, where enemies have some time after being hit to be killed for a heal -- in Reckoning's case, to generate health orbs.

Renewal still feels like it should be a continuous toggle.

This all said, I would like say how excited I was to see Oberon being worked on and within such a short time from a public announcement.

Much kudos and fairy hugs to the team. Keep it up!

Meh, wtf are those ? :clem:

Synergy between abilities, ok

Visual updates, ok

Ruining 3, not ok...

Basically, the changes on the 2 are meh to me, but if it's not laggy when you play high range build, I'm on

But like a lot of people said those changes for his 3 are plain blblblbl. It's a nerf since it's now range limited. It's another MP/Polarize visual when we had something unique, and it looks like clunky as clem to use... DE please, no :D Could you just put some more HP on the frame and make Revewal as a toggle, and each ally in range taking damage will have reduction + some of the damages directed to Oberon. If you want to keep the static gameplay at least make it good and playable 

At least the passive is nice tho

Edited by Xgomme

A few critiques:

-Either buff obe's base energy to 150 or give him 3-5 energy when a foe get rad proc'd

-Tap and hold mechanic for HG

Tap applies what it is now, hold turns HG into a long lasting short range personal aura. Both can be used in tandem.

-Renewal should give massive armour bonus that scales with hp/armour mods

OR

-Renewal should give minor damage reduction % based

Just some thoughts,

-Phyrak

10 hours ago, JSharpie said:

With the exception of Smite, these proposed changes still suck.

Hallowed Ground should follow you in a circle.

Renewal should be either scrapped for a defensive buff like the sentinels have (resistance to damage types as you take damage from that type) or allow healing passed max health.

Reckoning should be scrapped into something more engaging. Avalanche works on frost. WoF works on Ember. We don't need another press-4-and-sit warframe. It's boring. I still say he needs a hammer/mace and shield exalted weapon. He's the only other frame who I think should get one.

Agreeness. Much yes. Many +1. Extreme wow.

Plz DE, ((((((((((properly)))))))))) re-work Oberon. Make him the true fairy king he needs to be. Enlarge his cod piece i mean, sorry. Make him him more enlaring engaging. Soon(tm(update 200(2075(oberon rework 4))))

Edited by Arniox

Im oging for those changes:

Hallowed ground to be an aura that follows you, doesnt even have to be big. Enemies somehow debuffed and allies somehow buffed (even if its some straight armor bonus)
Renwal should be a useful heal, granting a constant stream of heal and eventually generating overshields at max health. Maybe low constant healing doubled in hallowed ground range.
reckoning: seems lackluster and little inspired as it is now, any change is welcome.

I like the idea behind the passive, a 30% cooldown reduction and attack speed would be amazing with properly modded pets. (i dont think it will be 30% but def less)

IF they plan to tie skills together with HG then HG should be a aura around Oberon while active without that it to slow and cumbersome compared to other frame abilities. The renewal armour bonus is meh unless it will scale with power str and would need a pretty substantial armour bonus at default stats

The passive basically means play with a Smeeta Kavat because so far that the only pet that would see the best use from it.

Edited by Nazzami

7 hours ago, Kierlak said:

For the hoops you have to jump through, it would have to be 100% armor removal at base power strength to even try to compete with Avalanche. Two casts, higher energy cost, longer time to apply, location dependent, it needs to be way stronger, or you have just created another Saryn problem of overly dependent 'synergy' that just isn't worth bothering with in actual play.

Exactly! I hope Reckoning is on par with Avalanche or even better ^_^ and it better not take an absurd amount of power strength to make the armor removal noticeable.

2 minutes ago, Nazzami said:

The passive basically means play with a Smeeta Kavat because so far that the only pet that would see the best use from it

I don't like how the passive refrains you from choosing sentinels, it should benefit them too, I mean kavats and kubrows still don't have a universal vacuum. 

6 hours ago, superHEAT said:

well , is better than the old thing, DE still work very hard you know, dont become a toxic player !

Sure, oberon would be better after the rework, if you plan on never casting renewal at all. They took all of the things that made renewal a unique healing ability (there weren't many to start with) and replaced them with subpar mechanics that just make oberon another not-trinity with a healing mechanic that's only good when used selfishly.

An interesting idea I just had. It would be neat if Hallowed Ground could be placed at multiple locations, so yes you could blanket a large area with it or whatever. But then if Renewal radiated outwards from Oberon... and any Hallowed Ground.

So say you are in an interception mission, you drop a hallowed ground at point A for a team member, and then head over to points B and C, dropping Hallowed Grounds there too. 

Your buddy at Point A suddenly gets overwhelmed and is almost dead, you dont have time to run back to him, and Renewal wont reach him! But wait, you trigger Renewal anyway, and boom! Anyone standing in a Hallowed Ground receives a pulse of healing, Renewal erupting from the Hallowed Grounds spread across the map.

13 minutes ago, Crashen said:

An interesting idea I just had. It would be neat if Hallowed Ground could be placed at multiple locations, so yes you could blanket a large area with it or whatever. But then if Renewal radiated outwards from Oberon... and any Hallowed Ground.

So say you are in an interception mission, you drop a hallowed ground at point A for a team member, and then head over to points B and C, dropping Hallowed Grounds there too. 

Your buddy at Point A suddenly gets overwhelmed and is almost dead, you dont have time to run back to him, and Renewal wont reach him! But wait, you trigger Renewal anyway, and boom! Anyone standing in a Hallowed Ground receives a pulse of healing, Renewal erupting from the Hallowed Grounds spread across the map.

That would have been such a good idea, if DE had listened to the playerbase and made hallowed ground a radial ability...

But unfortunately the animation wouldn't really flow since halloweed ground is a weird triangleish shape.

Oh yeah. Also, renewal should never have been a bubble anyways. its old delivery mechanism worked fine.

Edited by redeyedtreefrog

I love this rework for my Broberon (Fairy King = so pretty). I hope there's some minor changes to the Renewal and not the one they have proposed. If they want to make it AOE-esque, then I'd use Loki's Disarm ability as a template for it; otherwise the cast+effect would be too slow to be effective. Preemptive healing is silly if they cap it at Frames having full health verse making it a Duration based HoT.

Unless his passive counts toward team used Kubrows/Helminths/Kavats, I'd think it's still one of the worst ones. 

Overall, I love that they are taking Hallowed Ground as a focus around builds. I love running Hallowed Ground on Sorties (armor plus null status? yes please!)

11 hours ago, Midrib said:

Overall the changes will be a buff to Oberon, But is it enough to make him relevant? I personally don't think so.

^^ Agreed^^ Any buff is a good thing but doe it make the frame high end content worthy ?.... no.

I think the armor buff now follows you when you leave Hallowed Ground as long as you were in it when Renewal was cast.

I'm fine with that and the scaling Smite is just going to make an already good ability even better. 

I hope that Renewal doesn't end up being Trinity Range because be able to heal allies globally is incredibly useful.

Reckoning is just a small change so I can live with it.

Just now, (PS4)godlysparta said:

I think the armor buff now follows you when you leave Hallowed Ground as long as you were in it when Renewal was cast.

I'm fine with that and the scaling Smite is just going to make an already good ability even better. 

I hope that Renewal doesn't end up being Trinity Range because be able to heal allies globally is incredibly useful.

Reckoning is just a small change so I can live with it.

Renewal's range will be less than trinity's, unless perhaps you build for max duration (sacrificing strength, and rendering all of your other abilities' buffs nearly useless). Even then, it might still be shorter than trinity's range, and will have an even slower travel speed than before.

Yeah, renewal's infinite range IS useful. But apparently, anything that can even remotely compete with trinity MUST be nerfed.