The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I can't help but worry DE is going to put shield gating on enemies

AdunSaveMe

I don't know why, but I just have this awful feeling that this might happen. It's like when the supra got buffed, techs turned into gatling snipers with twice as much damage as crewman snipers. Or like when the ignis got buffed, and scorches and hyekka masters ended up being multishot snipers because the ignis became hitscan. We've had little to no information on how DE is doing shield gating, which raises a lot of questions.

Am I giving them too little credit with this fear? Surely we all realise how bad it would be?

The examples of the Ignis and Supra getting buffed strike me as more of an oversight on the devs part, in not considering that adjusting the mechanics of the weapon itself will affect both players and NPC's.

This isn't the first time DE didn't think things all the way through, and it won't be the last, either.

Edited by Horonelius

10 minutes ago, Serafim_94 said:

Take some lessons from Toxic ancients. Poison FTW.

And what about early game players who would then have to deal with short invulnerability phases on every single corpus enemy when they break the shields on a Corpus unit (and if there is a shield drone nearby multiple in a row what with the shield drone instantly restoring their shields to full, and I don't even want to think about the annoyance of fighting multiple shield drones near each other constantly fully restoring each others shields.  That situation already annoys new players enough without shield gating thrown in as well to even more firmly screw over new players) without easy access to any toxic mods?

The only early game toxic damage mod is fever strike for melee.  Ironically most of the rest come from Jupiter and later levels of Corpus.

This won't be a problem for vets.  But for players just starting out?  This will make the corpus enemies on the early planets incredibly annoying without an easy way to overcome it.

Edited by Tsukinoki

8 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

This won't be a problem for vets.  But for players just starting out?  This will make the corpus enemies on the early planets incredibly annoying without an easy way to overcome it.

Well, newcomers don't one-shot enemies, so I don't think that's really a problem for them

Just now, Chewarette said:

Well, newcomers don't one-shot enemies, so I don't think that's really a problem for them

Except that all of the shield gating discussions is about adding a short period of invulnerability when shields are broken.

Take a new player without toxic mods and have them shoot a corpus until its shields are broken and then they can't hurt it for a short period of time.
Now a shield osprey comes around and fully restores its shields.
Now the new player has to start all over again and deal with that short period of invulnerability again.
And if there are multiple shield osprey at the same time how is the new player supposed to kill anything in that situation since the osprey are all restoring each other shields to full instantly which means another short invulnerability phase each time?  Meaning that they don't have the time or damage to even kill the shield osprey?

And all the while vets will still one-shot the corpus with toxic damage and not even notice the shield gating and new players are completely screwed.

8 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

You can easily one shot in the first planets with a bow. 

Shield Gating really should not apply to enemies as well. It should be a mechanic that stops you from dying unfairly, not something that makes a faction even more annoying to fight against. 

Edited by aligatorno

6 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

You can easily one shot in the first planets with a bow. 

Shield Gating really should not apply to enemies as well. It should be a mechanic that stops you from dying unfairly, not something that makes a faction even more annoying to fight against. 

Exactly, the whole point of it is to fix a problem that players have. This should not be shared with enemies, as this is a horde-mode, individual enemies are never on equal ground, and it's supposed to stop one shot kills on players.

I'm not accusing DE of something they haven't done, it's just something that's bothering me. 'What if', y'know?

shield gating on enemies would be a bad thing... it's not like enemy scaling or anything isn't broken already or anything...

Think enemies and players should have their own 'tables' relating to things like weapons and unit specs.

40 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Am I giving them too little credit with this fear? Surely we all realise how bad it would be?

Well it would make sense for corpus to have a shield gating

I mean, if they take more damage than their shield can take, don't deal damage to hp until the next hit they take.

And then we could have weapons or mods that help piercing the shield with something else than toxin.

Indeed if they end up doing this and if it's too powerful, players will build more for toxin.

But hey at least it'll stop the "I take a weapon and destroy any kind of enemy with the same mod build"

Hahaha... ohhhh. Yeah. They're totally gonna apply this to enemies. Mobs always get the same (or better) version of any potential buff or ability that was introduced as a player-feature :P

And the same goes for any nerf or weakness (*cough* Damage 2.0 Weaknesses *cough*) applied to players.

Edited by ScorpDK

1 minute ago, minidelight said:

im sure shield gating is only for players, or else sniper weapons would be even more trash than they are now...

That's called an afterthought.

Or a "wait...crap... We gotta hotfix this somehow".

5 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

It would be bad for slow fire - non status weapons I guess. Fast fire rate weapons and status weapons wont notice that much anyway.

Would be an inconvenience to me at most, but not much more.

my rubico is getting steadily more worried.....

1 minute ago, Gorila_Azul said:

I'm curious how shield gating would affect Rage...

it would make it less useful initially, but still work fine in sustained firefights. the main point of the thing if if you get hit with a OP shot, you have a small window to GTFO and hide/CC/kill

Corpus tech is already broken, with shield gatin = more broken. Here comes the invincible bursas everyone run!

And if shield gating was applied to enemies would it then take two shots from a bow instead of one? And CL? And finishing moves? I really hope DE isn't brazen enough to attempt SGing for enemies...sigh..

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74