Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2,147,483,520 is the highest damage?

Zack

So i wanted to try to deal the highest single shot damage i could, but after a few tests, i started to get this number every time, and I can't seem to go above, it's always the exact same number.

It's kinda frustrating, but I guess this is the highest number we can get? What i wonder is, am I actually doing this number of damage, or am I doing higher damage but this is the highest that can get displayed? Is there a practical reason for this precise number?

stK4Gjj.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,147,483,647

"The number 2,147,483,647 (or hexadecimal 7FFF,FFFF16) is the maximum positive value for a 32-bit signed binary integer in computing. It is therefore the maximum value for variables declared as integers (e.g., as int) in many programming languages, and the maximum possible score, money, etc. for many videogames and audiogames."

not sure why yours is 520 instead of 647, but point still stands

Edited by Sasquatch_Legend

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

that is enough to kill a level 9999 a hundred times over. Granted he doesn't have armor.

Actually, this is enough to kill a level 9999 Elite Crewman a little over 14 times, as they have ~149mil HP (at least this is how much damage covert lethality dagger attacks dealt during the level 9999 survival alert).

Add armor damage reduction, and 2 billion damage isn't that impressive at all. I'd say a level 9999 Heavy Gunner will have enough effective HP to shrug off shots like that with relative ease. 

That said, the whole reaching level 9999 enemies thing should have a huge "you're not supposed to be here" (© Richard "The Levelord" Gray) plaque on it. Not to mention Warframe has bigger problems than damage being capped at 32-bit integers :D

4 minutes ago, Acersecomic said:

So............. how?

Banshee Sonar stacking.

Cast it enough times before the first one expires and multiple overlapping Sonar spots multiply damage dealt. 

Edited by Reifnir

23 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

Actually, this is enough to kill a level 9999 Elite Crewman a little over 14 times, as they have ~149mil HP (at least this is how much damage covert lethality dagger attacks dealt during the level 9999 survival alert).

Add armor damage reduction, and 2 billion damage isn't that impressive at all. I'd say a level 9999 Heavy Gunner will have enough effective HP to shrug off shots like that with relative ease. 

That said, the whole reaching level 9999 enemies thing should have a huge "you're not supposed to be here" (© Richard "The Levelord" Gray) plaque on it. Not to mention Warframe has bigger problems than damage being capped at 32-bit integers :D

Just realised I did that, miscalculation on my part . Should be ten times, don't know why i put a hundred, guess I will have to change that lol.

Yes, this is the maximum number that can be displayed by the type of number storage used in the calculation of damage numbers. It may theoretically be possible to calculate and store higher numbers, but there is simply no practicality for it, as the game is not designed for players to reach places in which that much damage would be required from a single shot, and in fact, that damage number isn't even obtainable except in a handful of scenarios.

To answer your questions: Yes, this is the highest your actual damage can get to. And while there's no specific reason that you can't get a higher number, it would take a fairly large bit of work and most of the solutions would likely result in minimum specs being raised by a good bit. In essence: high workload, no real improvement to the game.

3 hours ago, Sasquatch_Legend said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,147,483,647

"The number 2,147,483,647 (or hexadecimal 7FFF,FFFF16) is the maximum positive value for a 32-bit signed binary integer in computing. It is therefore the maximum value for variables declared as integers (e.g., as int) in many programming languages, and the maximum possible score, money, etc. for many videogames and audiogames."

not sure why yours is 520 instead of 647, but point still stands

Interesting that it's 0x7FFFFF80 instead of 0x7FFFFFFF.  

A lot of numeric values in Warframe that look like integers are actually decimals being rounded.  I suspect that's actually the culprit here.  At some point in the damage calculation a single-precision floating point is used, and that will chop off the bottom eight least significant bits to make room for the exponent (1 bit sign + 7 bits value).  Why that doesn't make it 0x7FFFFF00 is a littler harder to guess, but if there is a single precision floating point in there then that's only off by 1 ULP.

oohhh the Opticor isn't the only weapon that does that much damage, in which, I refuse to list the one's that does due to the DE Nerf guys watching the forums...but, yeah, I hit it every time with a couple different weapons other than the Opticor......nice though isn't it.....