Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player asking questions! :D

BethTheBean

Question

Waves wildly, like a young sapling caught in a tornado...

Hello! ... um ... Tenno!

I just created my account, late last night, and I have a few starting questions to ask.

1. Through guides on Youtube and my own preferences, I chose Excalibur/Skana/Lato/Mk-1 Braton at the beginning. Seeing I can buy a normal(?) Braton through the market, are there any weapons I should be keen on picking up? I prefer :

A. Semi-auto rifles, though full-auto is ok if the weapon is reliable.
B. Solid slug-throwing pistols, much like the Lato I chose.
C. Youtube videos suggested the slashing stat is rather good for the beginning, and throughout the game. With his passive, and the inability to ignore his big grin, I chose Excalibur at the beginning. Does his passive effect all sword types? Such as 1h, dual wielding, and 2h?
D. How good are shotguns in warframe? Are they realistic, or kinda the wonky-fantasy thing? Such as using hamsters or beetles as ammo?

2. How fast should I open the "star chart"? Should I unlock every planet before building the warframes/weapons/etc. I'd like to have?

3. Companions are an interesting idea. I'm aware that you can only have one with you, and each type has their own abilities. I guess I should just unlock them all and keep them around?

4. Though I'm not rank 4 yet, I'll be choosing Steel Meridian and their crazy bros the Red Veil. They have the augment mods for the warframes I'm aiming to obtain, and weapons that are in good opinion with players. I'd like to know, if syndicates have any "real" affect on my game experience?

5. For status effects, is gas/viral/corrosive/radiation/slashing the only ones I should be focused on obtaining?

Well, that's it for now (I hope). I'll be watching that Devstream today, and AGGP's memorial weekend live stream. Take care!

12 answers to this question

For early Semi-Auto pwnage, e.g. Latron (which you can turn into Tiberon later) and (Ak)Lex / Akmagnus are pretty neat.
(You could also set yourself an early Prime farming goal with Lex Prime, quite a lovely beast of a pocket sniper.)

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur/Abilities
Excal's passive works for Swords, Dual swords, Nikanas and Rapiers.

Shotguns come in a variety of projectile choices,
most are "realistic" enough but there's e.g. Phage which attacks with tentacles :D

Progress at your own pace, there's lots to do
though gradually unlocking the Star Chart is certainly not a bad first step.

My absolute favorite type of Companion are Sentinels,
the suite of support options (also ranged attacks yay) is just too dang good.

Other than Death Squads of your "enemy" Syndicates popping up now and then,
nah, pick whichever you want.

BTW,

:meridian::hexis::suda: Syndicate Copypasta Go! :perrin::redveil::loka:

You can easily have positive Standing in 4 Syndicates at once:

1) Steel / Suda / Hexis / Veil
Only run Steel / Suda missions, have a Steel Sigil equipped
(well, also equip a Suda Sigil until you are Rank 1 with them, heh).

Suda won't interfere with Steel and gives you +50% Hexis,
the -50% Veil is made up by the +50% Veil from Steel
and the Steel Sigil (no negative for Suda / Hexis) finally gets Veil into positive.

2) Veil / Loka / Perrin / Steel
Only run Veil / Loka missions, have a Veil Sigil equipped.

Works pretty much like the previous.
FYI, this combination makes you miss out on Suda's unique Large Team Shield Restore
(no big deal IMO, plus you can switch Syndicates to eventually get everything).

3) Perrin / Hexis / Loka / Suda
Only run Perrin / Hexis missions, alternate between Perrin / Hexis Sigils.

Perrin / Hexis are opposed but you still get a total of +50% for each
and they don't interfere with Loka / Suda so it's +50% each there, as well.
FYI, this combination makes you miss out on Veil's unique Large Team Ammo Restore
(maybe somewhat of a big deal, dunno).

:D

Which elements are the best choice can vary from weapon to weapon even against the same Faction,
e.g. Gas is a beast against Corpus with high status weapons but not quite as amazing with little to no procs,
you might want Magnetic and / or (pure) Toxin in those cases.
Blast and Electricity can be fun for CC (e.g. on a Sentinel weapon).
Slash is best when facing low to no Armor (and again with high status %),
so unless you have ways to remove Armor at higher levels,  it might not be as good as other options.
As a safe bet, for now, you could use Corrosive against everything
but pure Corpus, where Magnetic should do just fine.

Edited by NinjaZeku

1) You gain account XP from using weapons, so its worth getting as many as you can and playing them to level 30. In this time you'll figure out if you like them yourself.

1A/B) This will depend on account level as you cant get all weapons until you level up.

1C) Dont worry too much about status at the beginning, its more for when at high levels the enemies health gets higher but your damage is capped.

1D) This depends on the weapon and loadout. Its too subjective to just say 'yes' or 'no'. Best to try them and see what you like.

2) It depends on you priorities. A mix of play and farming would be best. To be honest theres no one 'true' way of playing, go with the flow. One good way is to progress as far as you can, then if you get stuck go and grind till your stronger and go again.

3) Yea, this is the same as with weapons. Youve just got to try them and see what you like.

4) Yes and no. Its more that they'll give you access to their items, but theres no big differences. And if you decide to swap later you can do so.

5) Like 1C, you dont need to focus too much, generally you want a mix of mods so you can switch for the enemies your currently fighting. Check the warframe Wiki for elements and status for the damage tables.

Hi tenno and welcome home ^.^ food is over there and there is beer in the fridge ;)

1-

A : Boltor and soma would be nice to try for you 

B: Try the magnus or even lex/aklex those hit like trucks if well builded

C: Excal is a blade master so as i recall the passive is effective only on sword not heavy sword so its basicy One handed sword like the skana , Nikanas , Dual swords and Fencing swords like the desthreza.

D; Try the tigris or the hek those are well known to be super loved by the tenno and there is an upcomming pump-action shotgun

2- Unlock the starchart first you will get your stuff on the way ^.^ or at the end of it.

3- There is a blueprint for sentinel on the market but yeah i think there is one in the junction if i'm not mistaken on venus to earth you can get Taxon. For the kubrow there is a quest for it ^.^ called howl of the kubrow 

4- your enemy syndicate will send you deadsquad to kill you asside from that not rly ;) 

5-Try all of them its all up to personal preference. Corrosive is known to reduce armor , Radiation to turn enemies against each others  and so on. Thats when the status procs on the enemy.

Have fun tenno if you ahve any other question feel free to ask.

Edited by trunks013

Welcome to the game ;)

1. You can buy the Braton, and it is a solid weapon for beginners. If you want to try a burst rifle, the Burston is probably the best for low mastery players. For pistols, the Lex is an impressive single-shot pistol. For all info about Excal's bonus, I suggest checking the wiki here (a good tip for many other questions, I'm sure!) To your question about shotguns: they are enormously powerful, and kind of realistic. No beetles to be found ;-)

2. Opening it will allow you to farm materials that are not available in lower planets, as well as giving you rewards when you complete a junction. Sometimes you'll be needing a certain crafting material (such as Neural Sensors or Orokin Cells) and that will force you to reach a certain stage of progression.

3. Yes, there is almost no downside in having all companions. They can just take dust in your Liset, in case. That said, you don't need all of them.

4. No, Syndicates at the moment have no "real" effect on the game if not flavour (the Syndicates you're enemies with will send death squads after you). That said, keep in mind that you can exchange mods with other players, so you'll have access to all the Syndicate augments, even those of Syndicates that don't like you.

5. Depending on the mission type, yes. Due to the way mods work, you have to choose at most two or three of these procs, so... you'll need to adapt depending on the mission to maximize the effect.

23 minutes ago, DimLamp said:

Waves wildly, like a young sapling caught in a tornado...

Hello! ... um ... Tenno!

I just created my account, late last night, and I have a few starting questions to ask.

1. Through guides on Youtube and my own preferences, I chose Excalibur/Skana/Lato/Mk-1 Braton at the beginning. Seeing I can buy a normal(?) Braton through the market, are there any weapons I should be keen on picking up? I prefer :

A. Semi-auto rifles, though full-auto is ok if the weapon is reliable.
B. Solid slug-throwing pistols, much like the Lato I chose.
C. Youtube videos suggested the slashing stat is rather good for the beginning, and throughout the game. With his passive, and the inability to ignore his big grin, I chose Excalibur at the beginning. Does his passive effect all sword types? Such as 1h, dual wielding, and 2h?
D. How good are shotguns in warframe? Are they realistic, or kinda the wonky-fantasy thing? Such as using hamsters or beetles as ammo?

2. How fast should I open the "star chart"? Should I unlock every planet before building the warframes/weapons/etc. I'd like to have?

3. Companions are an interesting idea. I'm aware that you can only have one with you, and each type has their own abilities. I guess I should just unlock them all and keep them around?

4. Though I'm not rank 4 yet, I'll be choosing Steel Meridian and their crazy bros the Red Veil. They have the augment mods for the warframes I'm aiming to obtain, and weapons that are in good opinion with players. I'd like to know, if syndicates have any "real" affect on my game experience?

5. For status effects, is gas/viral/corrosive/radiation/slashing the only ones I should be focused on obtaining?

Well, that's it for now (I hope). I'll be watching that Devstream today, and AGGP's memorial weekend live stream. Take care!

1. All weapons/Frames contribute to your Mastery Rank. So, it is suggested you farm/rank all of them up to 30 as and when you can. Keep what you like, sell/toss what you don't. It's more about the mods than it is the actual weapon most of the times. Shotguns do use regular ammo, for the most part. Sometimes it's energy based. But no hamsters. Yet.

2. Do the star chart at your own pace. They've reset the quests now so it's paced out rather than you tackling all the quests right out the gate and being left with Farmframe alone.

3. Companions are your friends and they really do help, you'll find ones you prefer over others. They too contribute to your Mastery Rank.

4. Syndicates add flavor and special mods/gear. They can and will send hit-squads after you periodically, if you're on their bad side.

5. Status effects are more or less effective with various enemies. you'll need to research this out with your Codex or on the Wiki.

1 A: For the most part, you'll find both full auto and semi auto weapons quite capable. Some of course offer higher damage output than others.
1 B: Pistol in Warframe are basically just smaller primary weapons, as there are semi and full auto ones, grenade launchers, throwing knifes/stars and other assorted continous fire ones.
1 C: I don't rightly know. The wiki however, tells me it'll work for swords, dual swords, nikanas (Katanas), and rapiers. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur.
1 D: Shotguns can in many cases out-perform conventional rifles. My personal go-to gun for levels with lvl 60 or above enemies are the Tigris. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Tigris.

2: You should do it in your own speed. If you rush through, or get carried by friends, you'll find that your gear has a hard time keeping up.

3: Companions are somewhat a matter of preference, but you'll see far more people with Sentinels (small pets floating by your side) than people with dogs or cats. Sentinels can all vacuum loot up from the floor, leaving you one less thing to worry about in missions.

4: Choosing favor with specific syndicates have no real impact on your game experience. You won't be left out of anything by chosing one over the other. Even if you're in bad standing with the Perrin Sequence, you can still go to them and obtain the Glast Gambit quest.

5: Status effects all server their purpose, though (in my opinion) some serve more than others. Don't bother with magnetic. It's only good for Copus shields really. Personally I go for Gas (heat and toxin combined), because when it procs (triggers) it creates a small AoE effect on impact, and can poison more than the enemy I hit.
Read more here:
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0

A side note, is to remember to upgrade your mods. Straight-up damage mods are important for your weapons. Favor shields over health (shields regenerate, health doesn't), but don't neglect health.

If you want to play around with mod builds, but lack either mods or weapons, check out http://warframe-builder.com/.

17 minutes ago, DimLamp said:

2. As fast as you like. There are benefits including master rank affinity, access Nightmare/Alert mission without needing a taxi, junctions and Quests.I would personally recommend just doing things as they becomes available and no think about prioritizing frames or opening up the starchart.

3. Companons are good. Sentinels are easier to deal with at low levels. The other companions (Kavat/Kubrow) can be a resource sink too steep for new players.

5. All status effects have use, you need to determine which ones fit your playstyle. In the beginning though it wont matter much.

Weapon and Warframe wise i suggest what i always suggest, levelign it at least once to 30, then decide if you wanna keep it.

It's always good for mastery anyway which they do add more stuff over time, like daily syndicat point cap or void traces cap, etc.

Its nice for peopel to suggest certain weapons but, everyone plays different and likes other things, so try it out yourself as said.

Hiya!!  Welcome to Warframe!

Let's dive right in.

1)  The Market is a bit unfairly designed for newer players, so the first thing I'll say is that there are FULLY-BUILT weapons in the market available for credits only!  Your first goal should be to get those first.

A)  If you like rifles, then you'll want to get the Boltor and eventually the Soma.  Both are solid weapons with appreciable fire rates.

B)  I'm a little saddened that youtube videos keep saying the Lato is viable.  It simply isn't.  This is due to an oversight a ways back where DE buffed every single secondary weapon - except the Lato.  The Mk-1 Kunai (your other option in the first mission) are a much better choice, and are even viable at endgame with a little work - fear not, though.  You can buy them for credits only from the market!

C1)  Slash is considered the "best" physical damage type because of its status proc, which does finisher damage (ignores armor and shields).  In reality they're all more or less viable than others depending on the situation.

C2)  Excalibur's passive is +10% attack speed and +10% damage when dealing melee attacks (including via Exalted Blade) while wielding melee weapons of the following classes:

• swords
  • dual swords
  • nikanas
  • rapiers

D)  Shotguns are hands-down the best primary weapons in Warframe, because they quite simply deal the most damage per bullet.  Other weapons may have their advantages over shotguns, but the three highest-damage weapons in the game are all shotguns - in fact, they're all variations of the same shotgun.  Of the top six, four are shotguns, and one has a shotgun for secondary fire.

2)  You should open it as quickly as you naturally can.  Don't try to rush the star chart, but don't worry about completing every node on a planet before moving on to the next one: each planet drops different resources, is controlled by a different faction, and is at a different level range.  Build the weapons and warframes you want as you go, and you'll naturally unlock the star chart as you progress.

3)  You most certainly should unlock each kind and test them all out so you can see which one you like best.  Some people swear by kavats, while others are diehard sentinel users.  I personally don't like the living companions because their sometimes-erratic AI runs contrary to my more methodical playstyle.  I prefer my Helios because his weapon is silent and he can scan things to my Codex for me.

4)  Syndicates actually unlock at Mastery Rank 3, and they will have a minor impact on your experience:  Syndicates who are opposed to you will eventually send squads of mooks to try and kill you during missions.  Most of these squads are entirely harmless, but watch out for Loka's (Veil's is also annoying, but since you're planning on siding with them they won't send anyone after you - though they might send units after someone in your squad).  Other than that, you'll be given daily missions for each Syndicate you work with, and you can collect emblems to turn in for additional standing.

5)  Status effects are interesting.  First off, not every weapon will be useful with status mods equipped - some weapons are critical-based.  For the status weapons, though, you'll want to get all the different dual-stat mods so you can customize by faction: different enemies have damage resistances and weaknesses to different elements.

The four primary elements are as follows:  Toxin, Heat, Electricity, and Cold.  You can combine two of these elements to make secondary elements also: Radiation, Viral, Blast, Magnetic, Gas, and Corrosive.

For additional information, I would recommend you make use of the wiki.  You can also feel free to send me a PM either here on the forums or in the game if you have more questions.  To send a private message in warframe, simply type

/w [insert target player's username] [insert message]

into your chat console.

Edited by Yzjdriel

Greetings ,fellow tenno!

I'll try to give you some answers that are not so confusion-inducing like i usually do!

1. First of all I think you did a good job with picking Excal , the other two might be better for lower levels but the actual truth is that they need a hell of a lot of rare mods. Mods that ,as a new player , are pretty tough to farm ( Speaking about the corrupted ones, and stuff like continuity / blabla)

Weapons, hmm:

I would say you give each weapon type a go first after you gather some credits , and see how much do you like each one . As a matter of fact, i for one wanted shotguns when i began playing , but I fell in LOVE with bows, dunno why, and i do still love them .

A. Hmm, for assault rifles you could take a look at 

-Boltor ( it is an assault rifle but it has the unique mechanic of it's weapons not being hitscan -they have some time travel and if they kill an enemy , the enemy behind will be impaled as well)

-Karak - in my opinion (which is subjective) - is a pretty good weapon for starting the game with, and it's not mastery locked (Boltor requires mastery 2)

-Burston - this would be the semi-auto weapon, it fires short bursts and does not continously spray .

None of these are good for very high levels , but they are good for a begginer ( for very high levels pretty much anything with the name "Prime" is viable-more or less)

B. There is actually a pistol that throws goo - the stug , and is mastery locked 2 - so you can get it pretty early . It's pretty fun lol, pistol choosing is pretty subjective , i dont know which one i would recomend. You could try the Lex- it would be something like a D-eagle (not mastery locked)

C.Yes excalibur's passive works for all sword types swords, dual swords, nikanas(katanas) and rapiers, in some different way each.

D. Shotguns in warframe, are effectively overpowered, as we are in what is called the "shotgun meta".They are realistic. VERY REALISTIC( the hek sound is the best sound in the game). Here are the shotguns that are above op : Hek , Vaykor Hek, Tigris prime, Sancti Tigris, etc . If you want a shotgun to stick to , Hek is the way to go basically, if you join steel meridian you can use the augment from there to make it a beast(later on)

2. You should aim to unlock the planet that has the warframe you like the most as a concept. Example- if i want nova, i would unlock europa as soon as possible. That's what i usually say to new players. Yes it helps if one of the warframes is "In the meta" , but i think you should pick something that you like first, then worry about high levels.

TL:DR : Open the starchart at your own pace. It helps if you have more unlocked cuz you get acces to more alerts ( which give you unique rewards- auras, helmets, nightmare mods, and huge amounts of credits).

3. Cats and dogs are very expensive to keep . So you should stay away from them until you have a lot of credits banked. Use sentinels , upgrade the mod Vacuum, and put it on them.( Try the Taxon, the new player sentinel). Unlike kubrows and kavats( dogs and cats), the sentinels do not require maintainence, if they die in a mission they are repaired for free at the end of the mission. If animals die , they enter bleedout and whatever, but they lose affection and bla bla. Too much to explain.

TL:DR : sentinels are the way to go

4. The difference with which syndicate you choose:   

The enemy syndicates will be the ones to send elite squads after you.

Some mods are syndicate-specific but can be traded.

Cosmetics are syndicate specific ( capes)

Quests are NOT faction specific( you can still do the New Loka quest even if you are mortal enemies with them)

Sidenote: you can be on good terms with 4 syndicates at once !   if you do a LOT steel meridian ,red veil will get 50% of that amount aswell, and then if you do a BIT LESS for cephalon suda, red veil will recive -50% , but the arbiters will recieve +50%. Thus if you principally do missions for meridian and suda, you indirectly level veil and arbiters aswell.

(in this one loka and perrin will be enemies) .same can be said about veil-loka(with arbiters and suda as enemies).

TL: DR Or you can just not rack your brain and level whatever you want :P.

5. You shouldn't worry too much with status efects and damge in the beggining . Best way to go is corrosive - good against all grineer, good against robots, good against ancients.

But here is the explanation:

Status damage is basically the one from above, it adds extra damage of that type

Status EFFECT is bassicaly the passive that can proc from a specific type of damage- again it's quite a lot to take in so you should use the wiki for extra learning.

At high levels these are the best

Grineer : Radiation/Viral . Corpus : Toxic/Magnetic . Infested : Corrosive/Fire (or blast) . OR Gas/Electric ( more cc oriented).

TL:DR : In the beggining just stick with corrosive , although you do NOT need to do it.

Cheers!

Edited by Tithus
Forgot 2.

Well I am sorry to dissapoint you but as far as semi-auto rifles go...there is litrally only one (plus another two which have semi-auto as alt-fire), if you don't count lever-action and variants. That being said though, the Latron is a a good weapon in the right hands and with the right mods. Speaking of which mods are rather important sence higher levels only really let you add more mods and don't increase any stats unleass we are talking about warframes, so untill you get some ''mandatory'' ones you might want to hold off on a few frames and guns.

For starter sidearms I would personally recomend the Vasto, some people would say the Lex but honestly it's way too slow (diffrent story with the prime).

In terms of Shotguns here is a ranking list: Tigris Prime > Sancti Tigris = Vaykor Hek > Tigris = Hek > Strun Wraith > the rest

Go through the Star chart at your own pace, there is no need to rush, enjoy the game for what it is.

For companions I would suggest to start off with Sentinels sence they are the cheaper option, but when you feel you have stacked up enough credits to maintain a healthy Kubrow or Kavat go for it. After that, decide which you preffer.

Syndicates can be a tricky subject when you think about. They require a lot of time investment and depending on your likes might not even pay off, but if for nothing else at least try to get the Large Team Restores for Health and Energy. Other then the slightly annoying Death Squads they won't do anything to you.

Status is mainly dependant on the situation, like: Which faction are you fighting; what are their weaknesses; is the effect of the status worth dealling reduced damage to that enemy. Personally I would say Blast is universal, because you can never have to much fun ragdolling your targets XD.

You've already got tons of answers, my only remaining advice at this point would be to read my guide.  I clocked myself at 26 minutes if you just HAVE to read every single section.  (I tried to shorten it further, but at this point, I don't believe there is any frivolous information left.)

You're not going to be able to just "unlock the star chart" until you're actually ready to defeat the nodes, so really, the game is a slow power-gain, but friends and clanmates can rapidly accelerate that power gain.

Your weapons have a lot less to do with your power than your mods, and the real answer is that you will love some, be okay with most of the others, and have a few that you'll detest.  Most of the weapons will be mediocre, and no matter what gun you're using, it's not ever going to be great until you put time and forma into it, and most likely a catalyst as well to double the mod points.