Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pc upgrade for wf..? Help needed

Tobbhert

Question

Hi there. I have a question. Im thinking about upgrading my pc soon but i cant really afford to buy it all at once so i need to buy one part at a time.

So my question is what do you guy think i should upgrade first? Most of the time i only play warframe. And im getting around 45-70 fps with everything on low and nvidia controll panel is optimized too. 

My current rig is: 

Intel core i5 3570k @3.40ghz

8gb ram 665mhz

Nvidia geforce gtx 750ti

I feel like i should have more fps with this setup but whatever i do does no change..

One thing that i can tell you is that when i play my cpu goes up and stays at around 77-83 degrees celcius. Everything else like gpu stays under 65 degrees.

Can the fps issue have to be with my cpu getting to hot?

Tips and help would be amazing.

Thanks

your current sysem is sufficiant to run the game until you have the money to buy the new pc, im doing the same thing, honestly the only thing i would upgrade before you buy the new pc is the hardrive you intent to use for it, but thats just me, if you really want to feel free to buy it one piece at a time

A decent cpu cooler (maybe do some overclocking), and a newer gpu like gtx1050ti or above (or radeon alternative) in my opinion.  SSD if you want to make everything 'feel faster' when loading etc.  I'd say the main cause of the frame rates is the gpu more than the cpu but those fps seem awfully low even for your specs considering it's on low.

What OS, if you're on windows 10 you might want to turn off all the xbox overlay junk, same goes for steam stuff. 

Might want to consider a clean install, defrags etc to 'freshen up the pc' and as such give some improvements due to clearing out the junk

your ram is painfully slow go with that then after that change the cpu because if you get a new graphics card it could bottle neck on the i5 you have depending on the  type of graphics card you go to

i have an i5 3.2ghz and im running a 1070 and the 1070 is way faster than my cpu and it causes some strange issues from time to time

another question are you looking to upgrade ram speed or capacity? or both

Edited by V45H

28 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

Hi there. I have a question. Im thinking about upgrading my pc soon but i cant really afford to buy it all at once so i need to buy one part at a time.

So my question is what do you guy think i should upgrade first? Most of the time i only play warframe. And im getting around 45-70 fps with everything on low and nvidia controll panel is optimized too. 

My current rig is: 

Intel core i5 3570k @3.40ghz

8gb ram 665mhz

Nvidia geforce gtx 750ti

I feel like i should have more fps with this setup but whatever i do does no change..

One thing that i can tell you is that when i play my cpu goes up and stays at around 77-83 degrees celcius. Everything else like gpu stays under 65 degrees.

Can the fps issue have to be with my cpu getting to hot?

Tips and help would be amazing.

Thanks

What? Can you only run on low? There some serious problem with your PC.

I have a:

EVGA GTX750 SC 1GB

Phenom II X4 945 3.1 Ghz

4GB DDR2 800

I'm running at max settings, always at 60 fps +. Your Rig should be able to run with more FPS than mine, since is a better RIG.

Maybe the problem is this 665 RAM, probably is bottlenecking everything in your PC.

And 83 degrees in the CPU is extremely high, my AMD Phenom II (AMD CPUs are hot as hell) only reaches 71 max, and I need to change the termic paste.

Check if your I5 is slowing down to prevent heat damage.

I agree with others, you need better memory, so motherboard/memory is your next upgrade.

You should be running at better than low with your current set up.

Im running at just above medium settings on a
i5 4570- no oc, 3.2ghz
8gb ddr3 1600 ram
nvidia geforce gtx650

Until you can upgrade, try using Piriform CCleaner or any other registry/junk cleaner of choice. Maybe registry has too many obsolete entries holding your system back.
This will save you the trouble of a clean reinstall, but clean reinstall is always a great advice.(unless you dont feel like downloading everything you got again)

Edited by Souldend78

Your CPU is overheating and thats why you have performance problems.Clean your pc and check if the CPU fan is still working.When its still working get a better cooling one.When not same like before.With 77-83 degrees celsius i wouldnt even start my computer because its not very healthy for your cpu.

Edited by K0bra

Mine gtx765m yes it is laptop which is usually lower than pc gpu counterparts, cam still run on high maybe medium on some with no problem, of course I adjust shadow to be low. Are you sure there is no background program that might consume ur processing power or ram?

Okey i can try clean out some dust from my pc.

And about the ram bottlenecking thing. What does it mean? Should i get ram with higher speed?

Ive also read this thing about unparking cpu cores. I checked in the program it found 2 cores and both of them were parked. But in task manager i cant find anything about any core parked? Maybe they get parked when i play cus my cpu load when playing is like 70-90% all the time. 

One thing. My cpu fan. It is the stock intel cpu fan. Can i do something like increasing fan speed? I think it was at 620rpm 

25 minutes ago, K0bra said:

Your CPU is overheating and thats why you have performance problems.Clean your pc and check if the CPU fan is still working.When its still working get a better cooling one.When not same like before.With 77-83 degrees celsius i wouldnt even start my computer because its not very healthy for your cpu.

Its not at 77-83 all the time only when i play. As soon i turn off the game temp goes down to 55-60

4 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

As soon i turn off the game temp goes down to 55-60

So you're idling in the 55-60 range...thats far too high, my s939 AMD x2 (same sort of age of cpu) idled in the 20s and that was cooled via a psu fan (cpu cooler sat directly under it)...  are you sure the fan on the cpu cooler is still working?

You have a decent CPU and GPU to play warframe. Your temps on your CPU seems unusually high. Thermal throttling from you CPU might be the culprit here. 

I would add that 55 degrees is extremely high for idle temps, unless you live in hell o_o

Edited by Stoner74

I can look and see if its running.

Also my motherboard is intel dh67bl.

And what i can see is that max supported ram speed is 1333. Does it make any difference to change to that? 

And the name of my ram is teamgroup xtreem 2400.

My firend said that those memories supports more than 667mhz. So im a bit confused what to do now?

in the 70's+ area Processors will tend to start throttling a bit, so it's possible this is impacting your performance, yes.
if your memory is actually rated at 667Mhz, that is likely impacting performance (~20% tops give or take). this isn't a guarantee but it's relatively likely. the Memory may support more though - if you go into your motherboards' BIOS, somewhere in the Memory related section there should be a setting for XMP (extreme memory profile). if this isn't set on, you should do that.

the GPU could be getting slammed in the game theoretically, but realistically it probably isn't.
but in the possibility that it is, disabling Local Reflections if it's enabled would be one of the biggest loads so that would help a lot if the GPU is hitting its limit.

no need to set everything to low, you can have most things enabled without worry. the only settings i may suggest having off to ensure you aren't maxing out the GPU would be Local Reflections (maybe Blur Reflections), 'high' Anti-Aliasing, and PhysX Effects.
everything else, feel free to set as high as it goes without expecting performance issues. worst case scenario, would be reducing one setting or two to save a bit of vRAM use in assumption that you have a 1GB model 750Ti, and maxed out the game will use a bit more than that.

7 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

So you're idling in the 55-60 range...thats far too high, my s939 AMD x2 (same sort of age of cpu) idled in the 20s and that was cooled via a psu fan (cpu cooler sat directly under it)...  are you sure the fan on the cpu cooler is still working?

that's not uncommon, fairly high end/TDP consumer Processor, and Stock Cooler.

and uh.... PGA939 isn't even close to the same age as his Processor... his is about 8 years newer >.>

And what i can see is that max supported ram speed is 1333. Does it make any difference to change to that? 

My firend said that those memories supports more than 667mhz. So im a bit confused what to do now?

ah! what i was typing is the solution to that particular concern then. as above, you'll want to enable XMP in your BIOS and then the Memory will run correctly.

You should really replace your CPU cooler with a good third-party one, plus apply fresh therm paste. If you can't do that yourself then just pay some pros to do it for you. Right now your CPU is running about 20 degrees hotter than it should be. That's basically a disaster for your rig.

Edited by xXx_mtv_xXx

1 hour ago, Tobbhert said:

I can look and see if its running.

Also my motherboard is intel dh67bl.

Don't worry about your RAM for now, just take care of your CPU problem and then have the rest of your rig checked. HDD and PSU need a checkup for sure.

Btw your RAM is already running at  your max supported 1333mhz, because DDR stands for Double Data Rate.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-RAM-frequency-signify

Edited by xXx_mtv_xXx

The problem isn't the RAM, warframe uses more CPU than it does RAM, unless I'm wrong, warframe, you only really need 2gb of RAM to run smoothly, because according to my data, it rarely ever use more than 1GB of RAM, even under heavy enemy fire. I've ran warframe on my nephews core 2 quad with ddr2 memory and ddr3 memory, there is little to no noticeable difference there, though it doesn't really run all that great at high settings. I've ran my brother in laws computer with a less powerful cpu, 4gb of RAM and with 750ti, it barely keeps up at 60 fps; goes around 30-60 fps, usually around 50 or so on high.

You CPU doesn't really need an upgrade, however, I would really recommend upgrading the cpu cooler, otherwise getting some new thermal paste on the cooler. Stock cpu coolers are never my choice when it comes to gaming. I could maybe recommend noctua cpu coolers, though they're quite big.

TL;DR , I'd say upgrade your cpu cooler, and I would recommend upgrading your graphics card if you want to run at high settings over 60 fps; maybe a gtx 1060.

Warframe isn't at all stable, even with a gtx 970, I get over 140 fps on ship, around 90-100 fps solo on max settings in missions, but under heavy fire against enemies, it can drop to 30-70 fps in a group, even as low as 20 fps, when it comes to infested.

38 minutes ago, Tobbhert said:

Should i try changing the rpm on my cpu cooler? I think its at 620 rpm when im playing. But idk how much i should change it. Dont know how high stock cpu coolers go

From the sounds of it you need to replace your existing heatsink and the thermal compound between it and your CPU because they are not working properly.

Or if nothing else just get some new thermal compound (I'd suggest Arctic MX-4 personally), clean off the old stuff and then make sure your heatsink is properly seated (Arctic Silver has a nice thermal paste remover system, gets all the old stuff off better than 90% alcohol)

Both the cleaner and compound together will cost you 14$ US, so a bit more or less where you live.

Edited by SilvaDreams

If you wanna upgrade over a period of time I'd suggest you get a new graphics card and a PSU to go with it.

Something else you can do is basic pc maintenances. open the case and clean up the dust using can of air. Brush the dust out of the CPU and GPU heatsinks. Take off the CPU heatsink and wipe the old Thermal compound clean, reapply new compound and resit the heatsink.

I personalty think you should save up and upgrade the while thing.

Yeah, pretty much all the others said it.   Check thermal paste and make sure everything is clean.   ONLY upgrade items you can use on your next PC if upgrading anything.      Though if on a tight budget I would go with a prebuilt from Acer, Asus etc and add in a 75w GPU rather than building.   All in and ready to go for around $500 including windows 10.

A CPU is not supposed to run that hot. Its a very good CPU which can handle a fair bit of overclocking too so it perfectly fine for running the game. 

Your CPU has a TDP of 77w so as soon as you hit high temp the CPU will start thermal throttling which will start to limit performance in order to not damage the CPU. Stock intel coolers can be ok but thermal paste does dry up after years of usage.

Solution 

1. Get new thermal paste and see if that helps. Watch videos of how to apply or if you put too much it will be worse

2. You may also consider getting a new CPU cooler. Best bang of buck is the 212 Evo from cooler master and Cryorig H7. I personally prefer H7 as I can easily overclok my 3770k overclocked at 4.7gz stable.

3. Upgrade your RAM. RAM specially DDR3 can be had for cheap now. Look for local 2nd hand listings and pick up high speed ram for cheap.

Turn vsync completely off. If it's set to automatic, it'll switch randomly between 30 and 60 fps, usually multiple times a second. I play on a decade old i3, 4GB RAM, Radeon 5670. I have everything on max, except texture and shadow quality (due to the GPU being only 512MB). I even turn on TAA X8 and sharpness all the way up. Heh. I fluctuate between 50 and 60 fps in Dx11 with vsync off. People underestimate how light this game actually is.

I doubt CPU would cause frame drops, but it could do with some cleaning. Probably your radiator/cooler is clogged with dust. I hadn't cleaned my PC in about 2 years, and when I saw my CPU was idling at ~70 degrees, I knew something was up. Opened the case, used a hair dryer to blow in the radiator and cooler and now my CPU idles at ~35-40. 

Dust in the radiator is bad. It keeps all the heat in, and doesn't let the radiator do what it's supposed to - get the heat out.

Thanks for all the information and helps :)

I will first off check the cpu cooler and when i get some cash in a week or so ill buy a better cooler that fits in my chassi.

And ive seen too that my cpu is a pretty good one for being that old.

Thanks for all the information and helps :)

I will first off check the cpu cooler and when i get some cash in a week or so ill buy a better cooler that fits in my chassi.

And ive seen too that my cpu is a pretty good one for being that old.

The i5 is a great chip and there isn't much of a difference in the newer generation of i5 other than maybe a few percentage in gains for performance.

But as we've all said your poor CPU has been cooking, GPUs are engineered to reach 60-70*c without much issue but a CPU hitting 60*C is Bad.