Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opticor: Make It a Continuous Weapon

(PSN)LoisGordils

K, got your attention. Hear me out.

The Opticor's main issue is the atrocious fire-rate, riite? Well, that CAN be fixed by turning the Opticor into a semi-auto cannon with very low firerate OR the time the Opticor spent charging will equal the time it will spend firing.

Remember Ambulance's big, red beam?

Let's suppose you take 2.5 seconds to fully charge (you can fire the beam at any given charge level, but will suffer reduced duration), upon releasing the charge (yes, I would like the Opticor to hold its charge), the cannon fires a powerful beam of light that lasts 2.5 seconds (beam has innate punch through. Enough with having a massive laser cannon with 85% Puncture not have punch through). Conversely, if your fire rate is 0.75, then the beam will persist for 0.75 seconds. This way, you can either have fast fire rate for quicker discharges OR low firerate for a more prolonged discharge. I would not like to see it get a mere fire rate boost because it would still be an inferior Ferrox. If you add this mechanic, it will give it something to differentiate it. 

https://www.google.com.pr/search?client=ms-android-americamovil-pr&biw=360&bih=336&tbs=itp%3Aanimated&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=jXY5WbPKFYHImwH9mqpQ&q=discharging+laser+beam+gif&oq=discharging+laser+beam+gif&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3...6246.9306.0.9561.13.10.3.0.0.0.284.1883.0j3j6.9.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-img..6.4.537...30i10k1.tAmaPNF2FWc#imgrc=GJpsqRkUMfVd0M:

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

1 minute ago, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:

With beam weapons being not in a good place right now (ammo consumption; also their DPS may be affected by frame rates), I don't think giving the Opticor the beam treatment is a good idea. 

The ammo consumption stays the same. One charge equals one ammo

2 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

Lets fix (with fix I mean change them mechanically and the way damage and status is calculated) beam weapons first.

Once they are useful in general then I think it would be really nice

First off, Opticor isn't a status weapon. You guys are missing the point. It takes one round to charge it (like it does now) and the beam's duration does NOT consume additional ammo

Besides, the Opticor looks like a beast, has the stats of a beast, yet why is it barely used? QoL

This will add an interesting mechanic that won't longer make fire rate mods a necessity. 

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

Ah I see. So rather than a held-fire continuous weapon, it's the same as it is now, but the beam persists for some time?

I'm on board with this. However, considering that this would be a considerable damage buff, a slight nerf to its to its magazine size or total ammo might be necessary.

1 minute ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Ah I see. So rather than a held-fire continuous weapon, it's the same as it is now, but the beam persists for some time?

I'm on board with this. However, considering that this would be a considerable damage buff, a slight nerf to its to its magazine size or total ammo might be necessary.

I second this. The Opticor as it stands, will never run out of ammo. This change would be very interesting to see.

Higher duration on beam = higher damage + much slower fire rate

Lower duration on beam = faster fire rate + lower damage due to the beam lasting less

Both alternatives would still be able to hold the charge and have innate punch through :)

I use the Opticor with all available firing speed mods (including the +75% after Reload one, which should last you long enough to fully empty the magazine again), which - yes, is a nerf to burst damage, but it helps with the refire rate as it generally does quite a ton of damage to begin with.

What I would love the gun to do, is gain massive punch-through and dissolving everything in its path when fully charged. To fit its beastly appearance.

I am awaiting the Synoid Opticor, and seeing what they'll do with it.

Just now, ScorpDK said:

I use the Opticor with all available firing speed mods (including the +75% after Reload one, which should last you long enough to fully empty the magazine again), which - yes, is a nerf to burst damage, but it helps with the refire rate as it generally does quite a ton of damage to begin with.

What I would love the gun to do, is gain massive punch-through and dissolving everything in its path when fully charged. To fit its beastly appearance.

In any case, it would be Secura Opticor :]

imo full-only-charge mechanic is outdated and needs an overhaul/ specific mods/ more fire rate mods or complete removal from the worst offenders such as ogris and opticor, don't know about daikyu but it really feels bad.

didn't use lanka for a long time so i can't talk about it much

1 hour ago, ScorpDK said:

1 hour ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

In any case, it would be Secura Opticor :]

Considering they haven't made any plans to put more Syndicate weapon anytime soon, I wouldn't count on it. More likely than not, we'll get Opticor Vandal.

i like the idea but not the fact that thr beam duration is affected by firerate to be honest. I'd just go with a fixed duration and be done with it.

As far as ammo goes i would keep the clip at 5, make the reload 3 or 4s and make it have 40 reserve ammo with sniper drops. It ain't gonna starve anyway but at least you'd have to watch it occasionally. Right now i doubt i ever went under 520 reserve...

1 hour ago, mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa said:

Make the opticor another of the 30+ beam weapons?

Huh, no. Maybe the opticor isn't very good right now, at least i can remember the difference with a cycron.

You didn't even explain how the damages tick would work in our idea...

No one said it would be a 30m gun. Read through the entire thread.

the way i understand it, after u charge it for 2.5s in u example, then it would, basically, become a madurai-beam for 2.5s, without the ability to turn it off? o_O

i kinda understand that u want the charge up beam to deal damage cuz it super cool, but i think u should revised the mechanic cuz that's extremely clunky.

Inspiring. I got some ideas for it:

Mag size - Increased to 25

Secondary fire - Swap firing mechanics.

Primary fire 1 - Chargeable like now, however, can charge anywhere from 1 to 5 ammo (hence the magsize increase). Damage of the beam is linear to ammo used; 300 damage per ammo (so 1500 max). The more it's charged, the bigger the explosion gets too (and triggers when you hit ANYTHING, not just the environment). The charge could potentially be held for a tiny moment, 1 sec max (this is NOT affected by fire rate mods). Hitbox of the beam also increases in regards to how much ammo is charged. A beam using 3 ammo or more staggers the targets (direct and AoE). Full 5 ammo-charge knocks the targets down.

Primary fire 2 - Charges up for 1,5 second (affected by fire rate mods), then shoots out a continuous beam. This beam has innate punchthrough (instead of the explosion) and consumes ammo at a rate of 3,0 and deals 150 damage per ammo (thus has a dps of 450, giving it better dps but with worse ammo economy compared to the other firing mode).

So you either charge for a massive shot with explosion, or charge up for a continuous puncthrough-beam. It sounds like a fun idea, but it also sounds quite OP.
If DE would only do minimal changes to it though, the one thing I'd like for it is to have a better AoE, and for the AoE to trigger when you hit ANYTHING, not just environment. Also, the beam's hitbox could some need fixing too. Maybe allowing the charge to be held a tiny moment (even half a sec) would be nice.

5 hours ago, Azamagon said:

Inspiring. I got some ideas for it:

Mag size - Increased to 25

Secondary fire - Swap firing mechanics.

Primary fire 1 - Chargeable like now, however, can charge anywhere from 1 to 5 ammo (hence the magsize increase). Damage of the beam is linear to ammo used; 300 damage per ammo (so 1500 max). The more it's charged, the bigger the explosion gets too (and triggers when you hit ANYTHING, not just the environment). The charge could potentially be held for a tiny moment, 1 sec max (this is NOT affected by fire rate mods). Hitbox of the beam also increases in regards to how much ammo is charged. A beam using 3 ammo or more staggers the targets (direct and AoE). Full 5 ammo-charge knocks the targets down.

Primary fire 2 - Charges up for 1,5 second (affected by fire rate mods), then shoots out a continuous beam. This beam has innate punchthrough (instead of the explosion) and consumes ammo at a rate of 3,0 and deals 150 damage per ammo (thus has a dps of 450, giving it better dps but with worse ammo economy compared to the other firing mode).

So you either charge for a massive shot with explosion, or charge up for a continuous puncthrough-beam. It sounds like a fun idea, but it also sounds quite OP.
If DE would only do minimal changes to it though, the one thing I'd like for it is to have a better AoE, and for the AoE to trigger when you hit ANYTHING, not just environment. Also, the beam's hitbox could some need fixing too. Maybe allowing the charge to be held a tiny moment (even half a sec) would be nice.

Oooh, I like this idea :o

The opticor is a nice weapon that could get some tweaks for sure.

I have the impression that when a guy enters the battlefield with a gun looking like that, every enemy should be afraid of its incredible power. After 2 minutes, the enemy realizes that it is outdamaged by that secondary you can hide in your socks...

Edited by (PS4)lhbuch

On 6/8/2017 at 11:38 AM, ScorpDK said:

Has 850 base puncture and no punch through...just dumb