Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Being the Stalker at Tennocon?

The_Stalker

54 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Yes. Everyone is. Every single time that I have ever, ever, ever seen anything like this proposed, the tone has not been "What a thrill! What a challenge! The most dangerous game, one's fellow player!"

The tone has been "Yeah! I'm gonna spawn in and automatically win, to punish those filthy scrubs! I wanna ruin everyone's day!"

The message is clear. People who want this system are not even the slightest bit interested in a genuine PvP challenge. They want a God mode griefing engine.

I want it. The stalker has an inherent balance to him - he doesn't have powers and he has a preset loadout. So you can't take your valkyr prime with her tigris prime and galatine prime and kill everyone with Hysteria's slide attack. You only have a good bow, a good melee and a meh secondary. No powers. And you have to deal with players playing the meta. Players with the tigris prime. That's what I want.

And naturally, I want to ruin players' day that way. 

7 minutes ago, QuietBiro said:

I want it. The stalker has an inherent balance to him - he doesn't have powers and he has a preset loadout. So you can't take your valkyr prime with her tigris prime and galatine prime and kill everyone with Hysteria's slide attack. You only have a good bow, a good melee and a meh secondary. No powers. And you have to deal with players playing the meta. Players with the tigris prime. That's what I want.

And when people using meta weapons drive you off and prevent you from sabotaging their Sortie missions, will you complain to DE and ask them to buff Stalker mode so that you are guaranteed to succeed?

Edited by BornWithTeeth

1 minute ago, QuietBiro said:

No powers - I think it was mentioned somewhere on pannel that he will have some powers.

On other note, not everyone is running full meta builds, I like to roll around with Sobek and Seer which both are hardly meta weapons. If player stalkers become a thing they shoulb be optional and in squad everyone in it should opt in to it before he was eligible to be spawned as player controlled. It's not about if stalker is balanced or not. It's about things like lag compensation, pacing and sheer annoyance other players can be (talking about trying to hit people in conclave). This game already has got some bulls***: things like ignis enemies melting you instantly, ancients killing you in 1 nanosecond, weird glitches and bugs when using operators. Putting on top ellusive stalker flying below the ceeling would make it completely not fun for receving end of such treatment.

1 minute ago, Ramrr said:

No powers - I think it was mentioned somewhere on pannel that he will have some powers.

On other note, not everyone is running full meta builds, I like to roll around with Sobek and Seer which both are hardly meta weapons. If player stalkers become a thing they shoulb be optional and in squad everyone in it should opt in to it before he was eligible to be spawned as player controlled. It's not about if stalker is balanced or not. It's about things like lag compensation, pacing and sheer annoyance other players can be (talking about trying to hit people in conclave). This game already has got some bulls***: things like ignis enemies melting you instantly, ancients killing you in 1 nanosecond, weird glitches and bugs when using operators. Putting on top ellusive stalker flying below the ceeling would make it completely not fun for receving end of such treatment.

You're talking to a wall here, mate. The people in favour of the idea do not merely not care about the experience of getting invaded, they want it to be as frustrating and grief-y as possible.

*sigh* All of you who are like "definitly not!!!!1111!1" are apparently not thinking about one simple thing. Look at Dark Souls. How does it work there? IT IS OPTIONAL. Specify whether or not you want to be part of this , and those that set it to off cannot be invaded. Simple. As for groups where only one person has it deactivated, you could always apply heavy penalties for killing someone other than your target. Penalties that actually HURT, like halving your current credits, endo, or ressources; or something like "3 kills on non-targets in a single day/2days/3days gets you shut out from playing AS the Stalker but still be invaded by player-stalkers for a week". There are enough ways to make it work for those that'd love the challenge while not annoying the ones that don't want to have anything to do with it.

3 minutes ago, ShikiRen said:

*sigh* All of you who are like "definitly not!!!!1111!1" are apparently not thinking about one simple thing. Look at Dark Souls. How does it work there? IT IS OPTIONAL. Specify whether or not you want to be part of this , and those that set it to off cannot be invaded. Simple. As for groups where only one person has it deactivated, you could always apply heavy penalties for killing someone other than your target. Penalties that actually HURT, like halving your current credits, endo, or ressources; or something like "3 kills on non-targets in a single day/2days/3days gets you shut out from playing AS the Stalker but still be invaded by player-stalkers for a week". There are enough ways to make it work for those that'd love the challenge while not annoying the ones that don't want to have anything to do with it.

Because I don't believe for a moment that the edgelords who want this to be implemented would be content with the existence of a way to lock them out. The entire idea, for them, is to grief people, and that doesn't work if they can just be switched off.

7 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

You're talking to a wall here, mate. The people in favour of the idea do not merely not care about the experience of getting invaded, they want it to be as frustrating and grief-y as possible.

Nah, I think there should be a way of opting out of invasions. The way the game works, if you're solo, you can't get invaded, as you're not connected to any server while you're in the mission. You're essentially offline. Even if your connection dies, you won't get disconnected. 

Also if you're not farming bosses, you should be exempt from getting invaded.

What I at least want is something to shake up the gameplay. Some chaos that will keep me on my toes. Excitement is the place between chaos and order. Where things kinda go according to plan, but there's always the risk of something tearing all that down. It's not just about me invading others, which would be fun on its own. It's about being invaded and having to adapt to an invader who is an actual player with presumed intelligence.

It's about fun and fun is in the unpredicted.

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

Because I don't believe for a moment that the edgelords who want this to be implemented would be content with the existence of a way to lock them out. The entire idea, for them, is to grief people, and that doesn't work if they can just be switched off.

Luckily, the way it would be implemented is for the devs to decide. And hell, even if you could take the role of Stalker but limited to when Stalker can actually show up (so if they have a stalker's mark), it wouldn't be that much worse than getting shadow stalker normally. Especially if players don't get that melee-oneshotting sentient armor nonsense. As long as the Stalker-player cannot interact with objects or hurt defense-targets or trigger alarms, obviously.

17 minutes ago, ShikiRen said:

*sigh* All of you who are like "definitly not!!!!1111!1" are apparently not thinking about one simple thing. Look at Dark Souls. How does it work there? IT IS OPTIONAL.

If it will be completely optional on both ends then I would be completely fine with it, Iassuming that it will work only if everyone in squad would have that activated.

Problem is i don't believe they would make it optional, look at archwing movement change which was mandatory and which took a year to allow us to return to old scheme. Same with hud scaling thing from few months ago, and I am preety sure there are more cases like that so far in game history.

13 minutes ago, ShikiRen said:

As long as the Stalker-player cannot interact with objects or hurt defense-targets or trigger alarms, obviously.

Well so far by looking at that demo, that's exactly what human stalker can do. Yeah I know it's demo/proof of concept and I would definitely try it at least once but It would need to be balanced hard, to prohibit it from turning into huge hide and seek with bast*** hidden somewhere glitched inside a rock and shooting with bow at every excavator (I am preety confident there are ways to get out of tiles in corpus ice planet tilesets). Also lag might be an issue in all of that. Multiple times I was invaded while on laggy host and I can't imagine having fun while fighting laggy warping and flying stalker.

Concept sounds interesting but I don't believe it would work in PvE. Maybe if he could only spawn in dark sectors and if dark sectors have had more mission types or something like that. Limit that out of main game experience but make it available if someone really wants it, while not forcing others to experience it. That's what I would want to see with that possible mechanic.

27 minutes ago, ShikiRen said:

Luckily, the way it would be implemented is for the devs to decide. And hell, even if you could take the role of Stalker but limited to when Stalker can actually show up (so if they have a stalker's mark), it wouldn't be that much worse than getting shadow stalker normally. Especially if players don't get that melee-oneshotting sentient armor nonsense. As long as the Stalker-player cannot interact with objects or hurt defense-targets or trigger alarms, obviously.

this.
just make limitation for the invader, and an option on or off invasion. 
and if they tied it with dark and light alignment, its even better.

31 minutes ago, ShikiRen said:

That's not what the people who like this idea want.

Funny thing, I've seen quite a few people suggest and support ideas like this, and in all that time I have never once seen any of them, literally not even one of them, use the word 'fight.' Not once. It is always terms like 'hunt', 'blow them away', 'bag them', 'punish', etc.

Why do you think that is? What kind of fundamental attitude does it betray?

Edited by BornWithTeeth

This is actually pretty cool, and it looks towards even bigger things right now. We can get this sort of interactions of warframes as their own characters.

In their own zone, well this could only apply to Nidus atm (Infested room)

It certainly would be fun to be able to play as stalker and invade players on the mission. 

If it were to ever happen, there should be an option before the mission, to let the host either allow or block invasion of player stalker.

Peoples' fear about this is frankly shocking and laughable. This isn't even Dark Souls level of punishment if you lose. Admittedly they do need to make it so The Stalker can't interact with mission items, Spy, Survival, etc. but aside from that it's fine. Even if he "kills" you, you aren't dead, you aren't out, you still have revives AND you don't even outright die, you just go into Bleedout.

2 minutes ago, Domesticon said:

Peoples' fear about this is frankly shocking and laughable. This isn't even Dark Souls level of punishment if you lose. Admittedly they do need to make it so The Stalker can't interact with mission items, Spy, Survival, etc. but aside from that it's fine. Even if he "kills" you, you aren't dead, you aren't out, you still have revives AND you don't even outright die, you just go into Bleedout.

"It's not punishing! Provided DE remove the ability of the Stalker to force mission failure to grief his targets, yeah, whoops."

There is no good way this can be implemented.

If there's an opt-out setting, the edgelord Stalker wannabes will complain that they can't find anyone to invade, because let's face it, only a small niche of people are going to leave the setting on.

If there's no opt-out feature, people will complain because now it's a game of RNG dictating if their mission is going to be potentially ruined, plus War, Hate, and everything else he drops will be harder to get.

Maybe, just maybe this could work if they gave a gameplay incentive to have the "let me be invaded" switch be on, like what happens in Dark Souls with access to summon signs, bonus health and whatnot; for example, bonus affinity. Then again, it's a F2P game; doing that would be against their best interests.

Plus, frankly, if they have to bribe you to increase the odds of this mechanic not dying off, chances are it's not a good idea in the first place.

Edited by Jackviator

If this is ever implemented stalker players will need some heavy restrictions. No raids, sorties, or assassinations (duh on that last one). Stalker does less damage to frames that aren't his target. Once stalker kills his target he's outta there. And best of all, dispel is either nonexistent or on a cooldown. The only reason it exists is to make the dumb ai stalker last more than 10 seconds towards skilled players. Stalker hunters shouldn't be able to abuse such an ability. Make the stalker work for it. Make him hide, hunt and STALK! Maybe allow him to see players through walls in tics so long as he stays still and crouched just so he can hide and single out targets, and won't get gangbanged by the entire squad. Let the stalker system exist as a challenge for players, not a killing spree of newer players. Of course when killed the stalker will have his drops, but if the stalker is successful I'm sure the player will get some kind of special reward himself. And most of all, pvp stalkers can only hunt players that allow pvp invasions. Griefing clueless noobs would be a terrible implementation, you sick bastards. (And no shadow stalker, don't need a frame that becomes immune to damage types to slaughter an entire team, standard stalker only). Or we could just avoid this system entirely and get stalker helmets for all frames and a stalker skin for Excalibur, along with an acolyte color palette. Then everyone would be happy.

Edited by Shadedraxe

Worst case sceniario: People will just join in missions to screw with people spamming annoying powers (the stalker longrange aoe strike what pulls out limbo from rift) and in generally would just make peoples life harder (wait inside spy vault to trigger alarms when they dont expect it).

Best case sceniario: Stalkers abadon their mission and help the tenno to do theirs. 5 players fighting together to achive what 4 may have problems with.