Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Javlins vs Warframes: Why this competition may benefit Warframe players

-IA-ShadowKill

Now Scroll through YouTube trying to find the latest Dkdiamantes video (you were late on that commentary for Plains of Eidolon D.K.) I stumbled on to the E3 footage of "Anthem."

Honestly, I can say the game looks amazing but playing Warframe for 4 years (the game feels like my 4-year-old child as I have watched it grown into the spectacle it is today), my initial reaction was that of worry about what this could mean. But, look at it deeper this might be a great thing for the Devs at Digital Extreme and for us the players. If the Devs can operate from a mental state of calm and healthy competition instead of fear. Warframe maybe a history making Juggernaught for the Sci-fi Co-op Shooter Genre, Thus giving us a vast world to enjoy. What are your thoughts on this and who do you think would win in a fight? A Javelin user or a Warframe? Comment below let me know. 

Just now, aligatorno said:

How can you compare something that only exists in a cinematic to something like warframe ? 

By using my Imagination *SpongeBob hand Gesture* anyways let me be serious. Good question. Let me answer as best as I can. Well though it is only a cinematic, I have learned never to underestimate a competitor or an enemy. This will lead to one's downfall. but from what we have seen during the trailer or demo for "Anthem" the game has potential....or were you talking about A avelinJ vs a Warframe?

Just now, -IA-ShadowKill said:

By using my Imagination *SpongeBob hand Gesture* anyways let me be serious. Good question. Let me answer as best as I can. Well though it is only a cinematic, I have learned never to underestimate a competitor or an enemy. This will lead to one's downfall. but from what we have seen during the trailer or demo for "Anthem" the game has potential....or were you talking about A avelinJ vs a Warframe?

Javelin*

1 minute ago, -IA-ShadowKill said:

A Javelin vs a Warframe, at least that is what it looked like to me that you were getting at. 

Just now, aligatorno said:

A Javelin vs a Warframe, at least that is what it looked like to me that you were getting at. 

oooh.....Haha, now an excellent question. That I feel too dumb to answer right now lol because you are right we need to know and understand what a Javelin can do

14 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Did DE fear Destiny copying them? Nope.

A healthy competition pushes developers to strive to grow better.

(Of course Destiny kinda wasn't much competition)

Because Destiny didn't copy them. Nobody copied anybody. Destiny, Anthem and Warframe as as different as Doom and Mass Effect.

Games with a few basic similarities are not competitors.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

there's one main point in which warframe differs from anthem, one is f2p, the other's not, so even if anthem create something better than wf the majority of wf playerbase which is f2p won't left the game for one where you have to pay 60€/$ to play, than other money for the seasons pass, then more money for dlc, then maybe money for cosmetics (but the last one would be too much i think)

While I do consider buying anthem if the reviews are good, a highly doubt that it could really stop me from playing warframe.

Im probably gonna play the story, then maybe go on for some weeks before coming back to warframe because anthem ran out of content.

Also anthem doesnt seem to have melee weapons (correct me if im wrong) and the abilitys seem to be more grounded in reality, which really limits what could possibly do.

Warframes is at least as much fantasy as its Scifi at this point, which allows some really crazy stuff that would be absurd in a setting like anthem.

Just because it's sci-fi doesn't mean it will grab the same audience. Mass effect, Horizon zero dawn and Destiny all kind of look like warframe and so do some other games - I for once was never been able to 'connect' to any of them. And Atnthem reminds more of Crysis than anything else.

The problem with those kind of games as even tho they're sci-fi they look... generic. Like yeah cool suits and futuristic stuff but that's about it. Warframe tho, when you firts time see it it's freaky as hell. It's hard to say why it feels so different but it does.

there's one main point in which warframe differs from anthem, one is f2p, the other's not, so even if anthem create something better than wf the majority of wf playerbase which is f2p won't left the game for one where you have to pay 60€/$ to play, than other money for the seasons pass, then more money for dlc, then maybe money for cosmetics (but the last one would be too much i think)

Lmao. I would pay 60$ instead of grinding like a slave any day - and I'm sure that players that been playing this game for years spend their 60$ on it one way or another. I don't think there's that many people that never bought anything in WF. Plus don't assume that everyone who plays warframe are broken or can't afford to buy games.

DE has pretty much always been content to do their own thing with Warframe. They sometimes draw inspiration from other games--melee 2.0 for instance was heavily inspired by action games like Devil May Cry--but never without making it theirs first. Anthem may prove to be a good thing for Warframe, but if it does, I doubt it's going to be because they feel the need to compete with anybody.

Besides, it's incredibly difficult in the game dev industry to pivot in response to e.g. a new game announcement the way some people seem to think developers do. Game development just doesn't really move fast enough for that to work.

8 minutes ago, -Temp0- said:

Just because it's sci-fi doesn't mean it will grab the same audience. Mass effect, Horizon zero dawn and Destiny all kind of look like warframe and so do some other games - I for once was never been able to 'connect' to any of them. And Atnthem reminds more of Crysis than anything else.

The problem with those kind of games as even tho they're sci-fi they look... generic. Like yeah cool suits and futuristic stuff but that's about it. Warframe tho, when you firts time see it it's freaky as hell. It's hard to say why it feels so different but it does.

Lmao. I would pay 60$ instead of grinding like a slave any day - and I'm sure that players that been playing this game for years spend their 60$ on it one way or another. I don't think there's that many people that never bought anything in WF. Plus don't assume that everyone who plays warframe are broken or can't afford to buy games.

I believe the the thing that prevents you (me too for that matter) is that Warframe kinda spoiled us in terms of long time Motivation.

None of the games you mentioned were designed to keep you hooked for years which also kinda results out of the payment model.

They already have your money, so keeping you busy will only prevent you from buying more games. Thers still DLC but i dont know a single AAA shooter who keeps rolling them out on a basis that could rival Warframes Updates. So while other Franchises just add a new title to the series (thats possibly worse) and pretty much negate most if not all of the work you did in previous installment, warframe keeps evolving the base game and lets you keep all your progress.

22 minutes ago, Dawn11715 said:

I believe the the thing that prevents you (me too for that matter) is that Warframe kinda spoiled us in terms of long time Motivation.

None of the games you mentioned were designed to keep you hooked for years which also kinda results out of the payment model.

They already have your money, so keeping you busy will only prevent you from buying more games. Thers still DLC but i dont know a single AAA shooter who keeps rolling them out on a basis that could rival Warframes Updates. So while other Franchises just add a new title to the series (thats possibly worse) and pretty much negate most if not all of the work you did in previous installment, warframe keeps evolving the base game and lets you keep all your progress.

It's not only about playing for the long time, I never even bought those games to begin with. I watched a couple of pt and they seem dull to the point where I don't even consider buying them. Some of those similar games I started but never finished like Mass effect. 

Just because the game is similar doesn't mean it will appeal to the same audience.

It's not Warframe vs Anthem, its DE vs BW for me now :)

After my experience with Mass Effect 3 and KOTOR, I have been watching Andromeda from sidelines and was satisfied with my decision to not invest time and money into any BW game before release and reviews. Same goes for Anthem.

For me, BW selling points are story, world, lots of dialog, interaction with companions. And making it all right again. They follow certain pattern in games http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/image/bioware-cliche-edit.jpg. Thats not a bad thing, if done correctly, in fact it's their signature, but I noticed a trend:

- Start a story good, but finish badly. It's like they can not follow their own narrative.

- Release unpolished, unfinished games. It's AAA game! How and why?

- Ride a hype train a lot and deliver too little. Seriously, if I would take a shot every time someone would say “we are so exited”, I would have a serious problem with my leaver.

- Act like everything is wonderful then things are... well, not on fire, but it's not sunshine and rainbows either.

- Politics influencing the game to a point it feels forced and break immersion. No. Just no. Bad!

Granted, Warframe is not perfect. It do have it's own downsides. But I think DE devs do have something that BW devs lack now. DE love their game. They like what they are doing. It's not all money. And it shows.

Edited by rand0mname
Spelling.

I am not tempted by any of these games like anthem and destiny 2. Maybe I will give them a chance but only when these games given a huge summersale discount and maybe 1-2 years after the release because still they can bugfix. Personally I don't buy games when they come out just in few days because i am not that rich to spend a lot money on games when i need it for anywhere else. The only game may can take time from warframe playing is the bannerlord once it's released and tested. As a mount and blade fan and player for me that game is a gem and always like to play it when have time but I consider myself an universal gamer and except few franchises and genres I play a lot with many games.

Obviously DE moved to the open world esque territory because they know their game need more boost and some of these games or other newcomer games could take players from them but if they release it and not that messy and they solve also during the time some thing in the game which bugs veterans and newcomers too, then they can get a lot more new player and maybe they can reintroduce some players whom left during this time. The only thing what they should fix is the repetitiveness if they can make enough place to explore and adding systems which keep players active (more competitive game mode, better PVE AI, housing "maybe", Reworking the planets and make them openworld, keeping and improving the non openworld maps) then probably the game will shy more than ever.

5 hours ago, Dawn11715 said:

So while other Franchises just add a new title to the series (thats possibly worse) and pretty much negate most if not all of the work you did in previous installment, warframe keeps evolving the base game and lets you keep all your progress.

Destiny (as said by a dev in an interview) was suppose keep evolving the gameplay over a period of 10 years much like Warframe is doing.  He even promised that they wouldn't release a Destiny 2 that would restart all a player's progress.  Now they are releasing Destiny 2 in less than that time that does reset player progress.  Interesting that many seem to have forgotten this or just overlooking it.

10 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Destiny (as said by a dev in an interview) was suppose keep evolving the gameplay over a period of 10 years much like Warframe is doing.  He even promised that they wouldn't release a Destiny 2 that would restart all a player's progress.  Now they are releasing Destiny 2 in less than that time that does reset player progress.  Interesting that many seem to have forgotten this or just overlooking it.

I still regret buying this piece of junk. I played it on my 360 didnt expect anything terrible as Halo 4 looked quite good on it and in the end it looked worse then halo 3...

Im not even gonna get started on the rest...

2 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

They never actually said that. It was misinterpreted by one of the interviewers, and spread from there. The whole "10 year plan" was mainly a publishing deal, so the franchise would be supported for that period. Nothing was ever said by the devs about the first game lasting for that period.

On 12/07/2017 at 0:47 AM, DatDarkOne said:

Destiny (as said by a dev in an interview) was suppose keep evolving the gameplay over a period of 10 years

I have never seen this alleged claim people keep referring to. It was a misunderstanding that the community took as fact.

6 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

I have never seen this alleged claim people keep referring to. It was a misunderstanding that the community took as fact.

True, but let's be honest.

Destiny was a pretty expensive disappointment.

I mean, yeah, it's decent with all of it's DLC now (I suppose), but it took them way too long to sort that game out.

Eh, here's to hoping Destiny 2 doesn't disappoint.

Edited by (XB1)Graysmog

20 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Graysmog said:

True, but let's be honest.

Destiny was a pretty expensive disappointment.

I mean, yeah, it's decent with all of it's DLC now (I suppose), but it took them way too long to sort that game out.

Eh, here's to hoping Destiny 2 doesn't disappoint.

I agree that my earlier statement was based on erroneous data.  I originally believed it to be an over-hyped cash cow before it was even released, and that's pretty much what it turned out to be when launched. I hope that they don't do the same thing with D2 as they did with Destiny, and supply a complete game at launch.  My faith in Activision is about as good as that in EA, which isn't at all. 

This is somewhat the fault of gamers, due to them supporting bad business practices by pre-buying games.   The publishers just don't feel like they have to release a polished product because they have already gotten their money through pre-orders. 

Back on topic: Between Warframe and Anthem it's good to see Devs compete as it's generally good for players.  I just can't in good conscience support EA regardless of how good a game they may release.  I'd much rather give DE that money and not have to worry about my posterior feeling raw afterwards like I would with EA. 

Spoiler

Note: My hate for EA goes all they way back to about 2005.  When they screwed over 2KSports by buying the NFL license instead of just making a better product to better compete with 2K Series.  A contract that is still in effect today.  I can't buy a single NFL game without having to go through EA yearly BS offerings.