Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My vision, my hope, and my wish for the future of the operators in Warframe

METAHUMVN

Hey guys, so I'd like to know what you guys think about this and how you would like to see operators mature. Do you wish to see operators grow up from kids into full-grown adults at all? If so, how do you want them look? I'll just ahead and express the main things I hope to see and what I hope DE is thinking too. 

Spoiler

1. GENDER DEFINITION: This the most important thing. I understand why DE may have not added gender choices early on (they're kids, duh) but once the operators become adults, I'd like a clear "gender definition" meter, similar to the "face blend" meter. For example, like a scale from 0-100, where feminine is 0 and masculine is 100. I think this is only logical to do and will allow players to express their own gender preferences, regardless of their orientation. If they want to be neutral, they can just choose 50 and embrace their fluidity. 

2. STATUS AS A TRUE WARRIOR: I know that DE already talked about doing this, but I really hope they take it further. One thing that Warframe lacks is the idea of the human warrior. The Tenno are really robots, and with the ability to bullet jump and everything, sometimes it makes the game a bit too fast-paced. I really hope that they make the operator fully playable as a real character, as a real warrior, with mods, armor, a significant health pool, etc. Perhaps they could even make specialized weapons for the operator themselves, or allow them carry Tenno weapons. I really hope that the operators do become the focal point of the story, and that the Warframes become more like "tools" of the operator, in a way. 

3. DESIGN: Okay, I'm going to just post some photos here show what I hope the operators look like. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. All credits to respective owners. You can also use the image address function to find where I got the images from. 

fbdf389a104c608bf23d561661892112.jpg90814.jpgfemale_soldier_2_by_meganerid-d4bhol0.jpsci_fi_soldier_views_by_akiratang-d5tscbS

So basically, here's the major gist of the idea. Imagine if Warframe started with the operator, a child soldier corrupted by the Zarimon Child Soldier Program, who you play as the main character of the game. This child goes out and searches for the parts needed to build warframes, which they in-turn control via transference. The fun comes from being able to play as the soldier (who grows up over time into an adult) and also as the warframe, with unique gameplay mechanics for both "modes". 

I hope I didn't piss anyone off with my candidness about this. This is just something I've been thinking about and hoping for a while, and I really hope DE is thinking of the same thing. If this is true, perhaps this will give us clues as to how the focus system will be reworked and Umbra will be facilitated in the game. 

Edited by UmbraCorporation

i dont think that will fit the theme of the game, and another generic adult with guns will be boring, thought i enjoy the appearances of the armour, it feels like warframeish armour, and the middle one would fit, i would like it if the operators worked alongside warframes, either switching or being both, with both having different abilities, that would lend itself to the fluid nature of warframe

I too like to see Operators evolve, however not only as warriors.

So for starters, the way I want to think about our Operator bodies is as a stabilizing Chrysalis that we will either shed, embrace or evolve in the future as we are now fully awake and are in more control of our future.

Assuming that Margulis placed us into child bodies (taken from the Orokin) to protect us from the Void exposure trauma, we can infer that when we were found in the Zariman that we were not fully corporeal, or rather in a state of flux, and as such, dangerous to be around. Think of Dr. Manhattan and how he slowly remade himself as a possibility I'm exploring with this idea.

So it is in this state that Marguils is burned and figures out a means to stabilize our Void energy, and she ultimately pays the price for her actions.

Next it is possible that Ballas figured out a way to keep the Tenno in a controllable dream state, (that our Lotus figured out) and that was how we existed since Margulis died. And so we are trained and focused to use Warframes as do now.

Therefore there can even be a possibility that the Lotus and even the Queens do not know our true Void nature (only having seen or heard of the child bodies we in habit), and we Tenno can in the future choose how to manifest our true nature, with only a few who would know the truth like Teshin (and maybe the Arbiters).

Also, the Queens would know about the Tenno propaganda from the past, but still lack knowledge in what the Void actually did to the Tenno and the Orokin would likely not share that Margulis stole from them. Providing some fun new wrinkles in story telling.

And from here we can possibly have a choice to remain corporal warriors and use the armors that the devs shared, become pure Void energy (like Dr. Manhattan), or a blend of both like the angelic beings in Diablo (like Tyrael).

That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

2 minutes ago, midtarget said:

i dont think that will fit the theme of the game, and another generic adult with guns will be boring, thought i enjoy the appearances of the armour, it feels like warframeish armour, and the middle one would fit, i would like it if the operators worked alongside warframes, either switching or being both, with both having different abilities, that would lend itself to the fluid nature of warframe

For sure, the fluidity of the modes would remain. The idea is that Warframe, as a game, would come to dominate both the role-playing character genre but really expanding the capacities of the operator. 

1 minute ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

And from here we can possibly have a choice to remain corporal warriors and use the armors that the devs shared, become pure Void energy (like Dr. Manhattan), or a blend of both like the angelic beings in Diablo (like Tyrael).

That would be super cool. I agree, I just want to see the operators to grow up too. 

4 hours ago, UmbraCorporation said:

So basically, here's the major gist of the idea. Imagine if Warframe started with the operator, a child soldier corrupted by the Zarimon Child Soldier Program, who you play as the main character of the game. This child goes out and searches for the parts needed to build warframes, which they in-turn control via transference.

The lore already is different than this, so for this part it can´t be change. as for tenno armor it is already in the works, also tenno weapons to channel their void powers, and they are planning on maturing the operators but I don´t think is from a physical pesrpective but from a social and mental one. The Tenno are the human Operators, the Warframes are the machines. 788indk94g8z.png

I don't think they really need to be adults, but i'm indifferent either way. 

As for their transition to a status as true warriors, i hope Teshin is heavily involved in this. I also hope that game play as the Operator offers something a bit more unique, fluid, and useful at all times. I want it to feel like how i feel in Titanfall 2 when i do not have my giant robot suit ready. I want to be a capable warrior as my Tenno with or without the Warframe, but with the Warframe having a distinct advantage in various areas. This would probably require new enemy mechanics to be introduced to standard missions. I'm not fond of the idea that suggests modding Operators, but modding their weapons would be ok.

For weapons, i'd like to see 'guns' that alter the way the Void Beam is fired. A weapon that changes the beam into shotgun-like pellets, multiple streams from one beam(like the Phage), Void energy arrows, and ETC. As for melee weapons, i'd like to see something like this:

94f87444f6d3bdfdba4754d0ef24c553524535dc

4 hours ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

I too like to see Operators evolve, however not only as warriors.

So for starters, the way I want to think about our Operator bodies is as a stabilizing Chrysalis that we will either shed, embrace or evolve in the future as we are now fully awake and are in more control of our future.

Assuming that Margulis placed us into child bodies (taken from the Orokin) to protect us from the Void exposure trauma, we can infer that when we were found in the Zariman that we were not fully corporeal, or rather in a state of flux, and as such, dangerous to be around. Think of Dr. Manhattan and how he slowly remade himself as a possibility I'm exploring with this idea.

So it is in this state that Marguils is burned and figures out a means to stabilize our Void energy, and she ultimately pays the price for her actions.

Next it is possible that Ballas figured out a way to keep the Tenno in a controllable dream state, (that our Lotus figured out) and that was how we existed since Margulis died. And so we are trained and focused to use Warframes as do now.

Therefore there can even be a possibility that the Lotus and even the Queens do not know our true Void nature (only having seen or heard of the child bodies we in habit), and we Tenno can in the future choose how to manifest our true nature, with only a few who would know the truth like Teshin (and maybe the Arbiters).

Also, the Queens would know about the Tenno propaganda from the past, but still lack knowledge in what the Void actually did to the Tenno and the Orokin would likely not share that Margulis stole from them. Providing some fun new wrinkles in story telling.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

The lore already confirms several times they were children from the get go, they weren't put into child bodies. Most of what you're saying goes against established lore, and it is unnecessary to rewrite it for the idea you're suggesting. Your idea is possible without having to change anything to be frank. DE could just write in a story that results in the Tenno gaining even more control over their Void power, and learning how to reshape their physical form by manipulating their own matter with the Void.

Edited by -YoRHa-

This all look complicated operato is young forever he can not have mature body shape bla bla bla blaa... if all operatos have same body shape and height then they are more like some clones... we did see on harrow comic mature lookig operator kill little operators. So why we can not have matur looking operators? Its stupid to have all that trouble to fix operator and in the end that we have somethig that gives him jus biger health and armor. If DE go that far at list give us options to get operator all grown up. I dont like stupid manga style and we dont need that in warframe who looks like very serious game and dont deserve children. im all for mature looking operators in body and face and not mentally,because thats just stupid. If DE dont try to create that and just give armor 2 the kid,then dont give us nonsense how he is going to becam mature becaouse he have armor on him...  For me,mature means when in all not just in head or in the body shape,its just means for all and especially in mature looks appearance. And if you are a children or look like one in body shape just because you have bad genies and dont cursing me just because you like kids looking something in the game. Its time to get operator mature in every way. And sorry for my bad English...

35 minutes ago, -YoRHa- said:

The lore already confirms several times they were children from the get go, they weren't put into child bodies. Most of what you're saying goes against established lore, and it is unnecessary to rewrite it for the idea you're suggesting. Your idea is possible without having to change anything to be frank. DE could just write in a story that results in the Tenno gaining even more control over their Void power, and learning how to reshape their physical form by manipulating their own matter with the Void.

Sure that can be done, but it doesn't feel as compelling, if there is more to how the Zariman crew transformed. And the whole children on a military ship aspect still bugs me some, it just doesn't feel right.

Allow me to expand further on where I'm coming from, and how the devs could expand on the Zariman lore a bit, with what we experienced with Rell being an aspect of this.

So the mind is a powerful thing, its wild how illusions, placebos, hypnosis and so on can influence and trick us. And knowing about Cephalons, the Orokin seem willing to use such knowledge on others.

I got to watch K-Pax some time ago, and that had gotten me thinking that what the Zariman crew experienced, shattered their reality so deeply that Margulis helped craft a new reality for the survivors. So it could still be possible to have originally all adult military crew on the ship and the survivors were given false memories to deal with the trauma they experienced. Bringing them back to thinking they're children could have put some distance between their intense break in reality and where she was able to get the surviving crew as functional as possible.

Since Rell has been stated to have Asperger's Syndrome (another possibility is that he had HFA) by the devs, the false memories did not help due to this underlying condition. More in the spoiler.

Spoiler

So the Void corrupts the minds and bodies of the Zariman crew, the bodies either completely or partially become Void energy.

Margulis is treating the surviving crew and was desperate to help them, so she breaks Orokin Law and uses Orokin tech and finds a way to either use donor bodies or has the Tenno create a shell to contain themselves.

As we see with Ordis, the Orokin do have tech to digitize people into Cephalons. And so what Margulis could have done, is go in the opposite direction. The Orokin at the time saw no value in her accomplishments and were too blinded by anger to think ahead and simply killed her as a symbol to not cross them.

Ballas has a war to win and uses what he has.

Then once the Tenno are fighting the Sentients, is when Lotus infiltrates. So the Lotus is aware of the child-like Operators, but not of how they got there, due to the Orokin either destroying or sealing Margulis 'heretical' work. And sees a connection of being a child of Hunhow being used to fight the Orokin as, they use children against the Sentients.

So that is the basis, and it can be that the connection to the Void has it that the memories kept resurfacing as we see with Cephalons, so that can be why the Margulis device was needed to regulate the Void aspect of Tenno, limiting them in the process.

The story that she gave them allowed them to cope and hide the truth, and also reduced their potential, since the Tenno think they're children. And the bodies that they were given could have been intended for the Orokin, that Theater that Teshin tells us about and what the Queen was trying to do (this can also help give a reason for why Margulis is murdered by the Orokin).

Since Rell saw reality differently, the story did not help him like it did the others, and possibly caused a split in his personality. The original one who was on the Zariman, and the one that Margulis tried to give him that was of his childhood.

The Margulis device could still be in play as a means to sustain the Tenno's reality, maybe with implanted memories to block what really happened to them.

The Indifference could be the Tenno's original tormented selves trying to re-manifest, after having spent so much time being controlled and suppressed.

So I feel that there is enough room in what we've been given so far to take the direction I'm suggesting.

1 hour ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

So I feel that there is enough room in what we've been given so far to take the direction I'm suggesting.

And your direction goes against what I believe to be true.

Even before TSD there was mention of children, so to suddenly turn around and make it the crew would not only damage most of what the previous three quests have built, it would also make little sense. For me, TSD hit hard. Not because the plot twist rubbed me the wrong way, but because it rubbed me the right way.

To consider children (potentially) traumatised by the occurances on the Zariman, only to return so broken that no one would help them but a single person (Margulis), who was then killed with the children turned into weapons for the Orokin some time after. I would be hard pressed to not call them (traumatised) space age child soldiers, despite already having outgrown their childhood. And even if they were to be able to break away from being a Tenno, I doubt they could actually leave it all behind or even if anyone would let them, for hardly anyone knows any better, including themselves. I call that a gilded cage, not of their own choosing.

To quote myself from shortly after playing TSD for the first time:

No matter how much the operators are content with it, it is not right. They are... were... children.

And to suddenly retcon them into being adults from the zariman given children's bodies would only take that away.

P.S. The story of the Operators and Margulis reminds me of this story:

Edited by Timberwolf581

Ok, let's clean this up before we even start.

I dislike the Operators as they are. While both the Second Dream and The War Within were amazing quests, they destroyed an essential lore point that was not developed after that. The Warframes - what and to some extend "Who the are/were". Majority of the lore before u18 was speaking of them as they are not machines, not dolls that are held together with infested tissue, but as if they are Warriors of past times that fell in battle.  The lore "plot twist" is something that I am self aware that "is my own bloody issue" but I can't speak about Operator development without that.

Back to the main topic :  Yeah, grow up, get some clothes, guns and learn how to trow fireballs efficiently. 
But there is still the under lingering issue that Operator mode as it is, is the opposite of the Warframe core gameplay, as it is perceived by multiple people. Warframe as in the game about pumping action, fast movement, high customization of gear and results, power houses that can (and have) cause a genocide. 
Operators are not that. Even if they get overhauled, to have more mobility and customization - as long as Operator ≠ Warframe, we hit a gameplay issue. I am not saying that they should be the same as Warframes (because it will kill the point), but DE should stop asking us to jump from WF to Operator and back to WF in the "Kuva flood" or Chains scenario. Split them up cleaner. The same way AW is another type of deal all together (Not commenting if AW is good or not), and if both AW and WF are present in a mission it is usually well defined segments - please, give us reasons to play as the Operators and not feel handicapped about them. Special spy missions, roleplay, some tournament that is meant to evaluate our skills - but that jarring "Well there are world bosses, you have to hop between Operator and Warframe mode in order to deal with them" - please, contain that. Let the boss be for the Operators only with sufficient enough Operator development, not with the flip floppy attitude shown in the Kuva floods.

21 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

Back to the main topic :  Yeah, grow up, get some clothes, guns and learn how to trow fireballs efficiently. 
But there is still the under lingering issue that Operator mode as it is, is the opposite of the Warframe core gameplay, as it is perceived by multiple people. Warframe as in the game about pumping action, fast movement, high customization of gear and results, power houses that can (and have) cause a genocide. 
Operators are not that. Even if they get overhauled, to have more mobility and customization - as long as Operator ≠ Warframe, we hit a gameplay issue. I am not saying that they should be the same as Warframes (because it will kill the point), but DE should stop asking us to jump from WF to Operator and back to WF in the "Kuva flood" or Chains scenario. Split them up cleaner. The same way AW is another type of deal all together (Not commenting if AW is good or not), and if both AW and WF are present in a mission it is usually well defined segments - please, give us reasons to play as the Operators and not feel handicapped about them. Special spy missions, roleplay, some tournament that is meant to evaluate our skills - but that jarring "Well there are world bosses, you have to hop between Operator and Warframe mode in order to deal with them" - please, contain that. Let the boss be for the Operators only with sufficient enough Operator development, not with the flip floppy attitude shown in the Kuva floods.

I could not agree with you more. The current operator mode is incredibly clunky. That's why I hope their really capitalize on the idea of the "operator as a warrior". 

Just now, Timberwolf581 said:

And your direction goes against what I believe to be true.

Even before TSD there was mention of children, so to suddenly turn around and make it the crew would not only damage most of what the previous three quests have built, it would also make little sense. For me, TSD hit hard. Not because the plot twist rubbed me the wrong way, but because it rubbed me the right way.

To consider children (potentially) traumatised by the occurances on the Zariman, only to return so broken that no one would help them but a single person (Margulis), who was then killed with the children turned into weapons for the Orokin. I would be hard pressed to not call them traumatised space age child soldiers, despite already having outgrown their childhood. And even if they were to be able to break away from being a Tenno, I doubt they could actually leave it all behind or even if anyone would let them, for hardly anyone knows any better. I call that a gilded cage, not of their own choosing.

To quote myself from shortly after playing TSD for the first time:

And to suddenly retcon them into being adults from the zariman given children's bodies would only take that away.

P.S. The story of the Operators and Margulis reminds me of this story:

The mention of the children could be structured in a few ways, one as a cover story trying to bury what happened, the surviving Zariman crew manifesting as their child-selves (having been transformed into a form of conscious void energy), or actual children on board able to manipulate void energy.

For me part of this hinges on the nature of the Zariman ship and the crew aboard. If it really was a passenger or cargo ship, then families could have been aboard, but from what little has been revealed so far, it's still unlikely that it is the sort of Federation Ship in Star Trek that can allow families and children aboard. So here is one area that can sway me one way or the other as to the original nature of the Tenno.

Now within the realm of psychology, when looking into mental trauma, one thing to consider is that basically everyone experiences something in our childhoods that we carry around with us in different ways, whether we are aware of it or not (some are luckier than others, or it can even manifest as a midlife crisis). The trauma (and remember this is from the limited perspective of a child) creates more or less an automatic response that we rely on to avoid dealing with the trauma and can then be a tool we keep using as adults. This can manifest in different ways for adults, but the main point here is, that inner child we carry with us can be a very strong focus for identity.

So applying this framework to the Zariman incident, if it was a military ship with no family or children, then the possibility I shared earlier could be that the crew that survived were able to survive only because they clung to something of their inner child, in one way as I described earlier, or having them manifest as children (here think of how the dudes looked inside the Matrix when they plugged in, compared to being in the flesh on their ship).

I hope that what I'm trying to explain doesn't take away from the reveal you enjoyed in TSD or would be a retcon and adds more texture to lore in this area.

30 minutes ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

I hope that what I'm trying to explain doesn't take away from the reveal you enjoyed in TSD

It kind of does, considering the reason that it hit so hard was the fact that it's about children who had (loving) parents and a future. They had their childhood taken from them. Every moment of happiness they could've had taken from them. This never hits as hard as with adults, because adults have been around longer (and thus have less "future" to lose).

Knowing what Rell is or was like, I can only assume it was many times worse for him, especially considering a lot of the children cast him out. (you know that short little comic on the website? Go find it.)

Spoiler

To me, it feels like being trapped in a gilded cage, not of your own choosing. Trapped in a world that does not belong to you. I am reminded of Subject Delta from Bioshock 2, trapped in a cage, condemned to wander through a world that does not want him. But the Operators, they had their future, their childhood stolen from them, turned into weapons for the Orokin, condemned to be Tenno, something other than themselves, until their demise. No matter how much the operators are content with it, it is not right. They are... were... children.

My thoughts are that the Operators' anger and devotion to being a Tenno (and slaughtering hundreds of Grineer and Corpus), also comes from their time aboard the Zariman. Using their training with the Warframes as an outlet to subconsciously avoid facing their past, much like someone would bury him or herself in their work out of grief after the loss of someone they knew.

At this point, I find it hard to believe they are not scarred to a point where a Tenno is all they could ever be, like a soldier enlisting for another tour because returning to civilian life with the things he has seen would tear him apart from the inside.

For me, the entire atmosphere of the quests and by extension the game, hinges on that fact, that they were children on the zariman and still are, not matter how many times they angrily say not to call them that.

30 minutes ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

For me part of this hinges on the nature of the Zariman ship and the crew aboard. If it really was a passenger or cargo ship, then families could have been aboard, but from what little has been revealed so far, it's still unlikely that it is the sort of Federation Ship in Star Trek that can allow families and children aboard. So here is one area that can sway me one way or the other as to the original nature of the Tenno.

As far as I know, it was a colony ship. They mentioned it had biomes, what kind of cargo or military ship carries biomes? I think the Zariman was a colony ship intended to only carry adults as the first wave. But somewhere, someone went behind a few backs, and decided to take it a step further by sending entire families.

Edited by Timberwolf581

1 hour ago, UmbraCorporation said:

I could not agree with you more. The current operator mode is incredibly clunky. That's why I hope their really capitalize on the idea of the "operator as a warrior". 

Tenno evolution depends on evolving Operators with specialized combat abilities and powers that offer a degree of flexibility, specialization, and tactical prowess WITHIN THE ENTIRETY OF THE GAMING ENVIRONMENT that our Warframes do not have...

...all while maintaining the vulnerabilities of being a human soldier, no matter how specialized.

Hopefully the Eidelon Kaiju battle is just the first, most basic expression of this dynamic or it won't work long-term, IMHO.

I liken it to being a Tank Commander and his team along a a battlefront vs being a SEAL team squad dropping behind enemy lines.

Both have very specialized attributes and are at severe disadvantages in certain situations.

I'd rather we completely abandon Operators from relevancy really.

Operators, as they are, are the antithesis of what makes Warframe unique and fun. Fast parkour-filled movement; vast selection of weaponry and abilities; Operators have none of these. Instead of being a warframe bullet-jumping high into the air, raining down mortars then sliding down to kick someone in the face and cleave everyone else in half with a spinning greatsword, you're a wuss who can barely sprint at half the speed of a warframe, has nothing but an underwhelming beam/push/cloak that all share the same energy pool that takes years to recharge, and die if someone so much as sneezes at you in a HORDE SHOOTER. Anything a hipster starchild can do, a warframe can do ten times better, and the only way DE has been able to make us use Operators is by forcing completely arbitrary immunities on enemies, creating nothing more than speedbumps where you have to switch from golden god to baby for a few seconds before continuing on.

Sure, maybe with extensive overhauls to Operators to actually make using them viable and FUN beyond bypassing arbitrary immunities, Operators would deserve some more development beyond lore, but as it stands, why waste effort on it when that time can be spent enhancing the main game?

I mean, just imagine if Kuva Guardians were designed without Operator usage in mind. An actual polearm-spinning animation to show they're deflecting bullets, requiring the player to either shoot them in the back or attack when they're winding up/recovering from an attack, letting us stun them by melee-parrying or gun-parrying (i.e. shoot their foot out when they're winding up a slash dash) etc. with their health adjusted to mini-boss level accordingly. They could've been so much more than just another trash mob that I need to press 5 on first before oneshotting them like everything else.

tl;dr Operators are bad in the gameplay context and should either be massively overhauled in nearly every aspect first or be completely forgotten.

Edited by Madotsuki

I find it absolutely hilarious that all the complaints about Operator mode come from how clunky it is, crying for DE to forget or remove it entirely, when the entire point of developing the reexamining Operator mode is to kake it less clunky.

The Tenno currently have only just begun to realize what abilities they possess, and have only been "awake" for a few months at most. It's only natural that they would be lacking in terms of combat prowess. Once they've received training to hone their abilities, we'll see this clunkiness remedied, and the Operator/Warframe divide won't be about combat competence, but about their different capabilities.

21 hours ago, Madotsuki said:

I'd rather we completely abandon Operators from relevancy really.

Operators, as they are, are the antithesis of what makes Warframe unique and fun. Fast parkour-filled movement; vast selection of weaponry and abilities; Operators have none of these. Instead of being a warframe bullet-jumping high into the air, raining down mortars then sliding down to kick someone in the face and cleave everyone else in half with a spinning greatsword, you're a wuss who can barely sprint at half the speed of a warframe, has nothing but an underwhelming beam/push/cloak that all share the same energy pool that takes years to recharge, and die if someone so much as sneezes at you in a HORDE SHOOTER.

yay more complaints about how Operators ruin everyones power fantasy as a murder machine.

Personally I don't like them being used for combat. I think they are GREAT for NPC interaction and world building.
Being an Operator when talking with NPCs presents a clear indicator that you are in the story and world interaction segment of the game, as opposed to murdering everything as your Warframe.
They should be a tool for Story and Puzzles. Not for combat.

Edited by Iccotak