The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Warframe change it's name?

Silvus-Sol

With the coming changes and additions to the game, I am wondering if perhaps Warframe needs a name change to better represent itself. Seeing as we will be playing more and more with our Operators, and parking our Warframes off on the side, the current name of the game somehow feels misleading. So how about outright changing the game's name to "Operator" to better fit it's new direction?

A bit dramatic I admit, but look at all the attention our "frail child soldiers" have been getting. Our Operators will be wearing armor and using weapons themselves, which not only ruins their whole concept from a lore standpoint imo, but it also renders the Warframes themselves entirely redundant. What is the point of them if we are going to leap out of them and fight personally on a regular basis? It's like being a tank driver, who parks the tank out of harms way and then charges into the combat zone on foot, why even have the tank at all?

I am aware that they plan on somehow making the two work in tandem (though I'm not sure how you can play two characters at once), but it still feels wrong having the Operator on the front lines in mortal danger when the whole point of Transference and Warframes was to keep them safe at home and out of harms way. Warframes are expendable, the Operator is not. So it means something when they risk their lives and expose themselves to danger like they did in War Within. But now it's going to be a run of the mill thing, the feeling of vulnerability will be gone.

I appreciate DE wanting to make the kiddos more mature and more interactive, but imo this is NOT the way to do it. The game is called Warframe, so keep the combat aspects focused on the Warframes. Save the Operator use for special situations and lore intensive stuff.

I know this one post is unlikely to change anything, and I fully realize that this is DE's game and they can and will do as they please with it. However, I also know that it is possible for the creators of something to lose focus and wander off their original course and themes *cough*GeorgeLucasandStarWars*cough*. I love Warframe, I have spent nearly 3,000 hours of my life playing this game, and I just felt like I had to say something. Because I hate to see it going in the wrong direction, and I feel like that is what is happening.

Anyways... I'm sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way or steps on anyone's toes. Thanks for reading and I hope you all have a good day.

Operators arent the main selling point so I doubt it will ever happen, its a game about Frames made for war, Hence we call them Warframe's.

Name suits to me. But if a name change needs to come then let it be what the game is made into,  "Nerf all the fun out of the game; The game".

5 minutes ago, Silvus-Sol said:

Save the Operator use for special situations...

Such as...? 
How about when we need to take down a giant Sentient?  We already all know we can use our Operator's Void energy beam to remove a Sentient's defenses from when we've fought them on Lua.  Does a giant Sentient fight sound like the special situation we might need to use the Operator for?

11 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Such as...? 
How about when we need to take down a giant Sentient?  We already all know we can use our Operator's Void energy beam to remove a Sentient's defenses from when we've fought them on Lua.  Does a giant Sentient fight sound like the special situation we might need to use the Operator for?

It does actually, and I have no problems with Operators being used in that atypical boss fight.

My issue is with the Operator being used in regular combat, or being used regularly at all. And since they will be reworking the Focus system entirely around Operators, that hints pretty heavily that they intend for them to be used often. Which is not something that I personally agree with for reasons already stated.

Edited by Silvus-Sol

1 minute ago, Brinie said:

I'd agree with you being overdramatic. Having to use the operator over the warframe under very specific and infrequently occurring circumstances is not making them overshadow the warframe. 

^^ This

as everyone else has pointed out the OP is being very childish about needing the Operator for the PoE boss.

besides Kuva and the boss for Harrow name the other thousands of things you NEED to play Operator for?

also for the who can't play 2 characters at once

no one told this game that's not possible

FgFa97O.gif

5 minutes ago, Silvus-Sol said:

It does actually, and I have no problems with Operators being used in that atypical boss fight.

My issue is with the Operator being used in regular combat, or being used regularly at all. And since they will be reworking the Focus system entirely around Operators, that hints pretty heavily that they intend for them to be used often. Which is not something that I personally agree with.

You got it 2/3 wrong... After TSD you will get the Focus tree, passives and buffs to the Warframe, after TWW you unlock more for the physical Operator, in Cestus you improve the Operator for Eidolons.

If they do actually get good to use in normal gameplay, it will be like having a second Warframe.

Its the devs decision, so... no other way to say this: you have to deal with it.

Edited by Kaotyke

1 minute ago, Silvus-Sol said:

So you have no problem with the Operator involvement in the Plains of Eidolon boss fight as it has been presented?  Okay.

2 minutes ago, Silvus-Sol said:

My issue is with the Operator being used in regular combat, or being used regularly at all. And since they will be reworking the Focus system entirely around Operators, that hints pretty heavily that they intend for them to be used often. Which is not something that I personally agree with.

They'll be a tactical option to use when you see fit, no different from before.  I've completed missions on Earth as my Operator to see if I can but I don't expect to do so any further on than that.  I know some people already use them for Spy mission objective rooms due to the ability to turn invisible regardles of chosen frame. 
With the new powers that the new Focus system may or may not provide (still need to see what it actually gives) the Operator might become more useful but I doubt they'll ever eclipse the Warframe.

Rebranding would only help to kill the current traction the game has. It'll only just make things worse when people praising Warframe giving it attention are now talking about a game that looks the same, but with a different name. It would kill potential new players that had an interest in Warframe, but can't find Warframe because it had a name change.

42 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Its the devs decision, so... no other way to say this: you have to deal with it.

It is, and I will.

I just wanted to say my piece in regards to Operators being in combat on a regular basis. Many may see it as an overreaction, and that's probably my fault for opening with sarcasm and drama to turn heads, but I felt like it had to be said.

39 minutes ago, hazerddex said:

god forbid DE puts effort into make a new system good. 

I have no problems whatsoever with DE redoing Focus and improving Operators. Focus was in desperate need of an overhaul and Operators are kind of clunky to use. I think it's great that DE wants to make them better. I'm just trying to express my concern is all.

Edited by Silvus-Sol

55 minutes ago, Silvus-Sol said:

It's like being a tank driver, who parks the tank out of harms way and then charges into the combat zone on foot, why even have the tank at all?

How about when you have to go through a small space, sneak through enemy lines, or perform any situation requiring more finesse than a thousand points hunk of steel can muster? 

6 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

How about when you have to go through a small space, sneak through enemy lines, or perform any situation requiring more finesse than a thousand points hunk of steel can muster? 

Rhino says "Hi"

PS: Just a joke bro. I am pretty sure Rhino wold be offended if he is descried as "thousand points hunk of steel". He is made of iron.

Edited by phoenix1992

1 minute ago, Miser_able said:

That's why we have Loki, Ivara, Ash, etc.

I get what you are saying within the metaphor, and Operators can and should be used when it's appropriate. But you don't rebuild an entire system (Focus) around something that is only going to be used a small percentage of the time, you don't make armor and weapons if they aren't going to be used semi-regularly.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it... *shrugs*

2 minutes ago, Silvus-Sol said:

That's why we have Loki, Ivara, Ash, etc.

I get what you are saying within the metaphor, and Operators can and should be used when it's appropriate. But you don't rebuild an entire system (Focus) around something that is only going to be used a small percentage of the time, you don't make armor and weapons if they aren't going to be used semi-regularly.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it... *shrugs*

You don't even know how operators are going to work with this "warrior" mode, you are taking your opinion of the current operators and placing it on something we haven't even seen yet.

3 minutes ago, Silvus-Sol said:

DE programmed a musical instrument with its own accompanying mini-game/sub-system for one Warframe.

And yet, they apparently cannot program a dialogue wheel for the Operator.