The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fellas, are primary snipers bad, dumb, and useless? :p

(PSN)YoKiwi__

People, do snipers need a huge buff? I mean, this game is about killing as many enemies as fast, and efficient, as possible. If a sniper struggles to kill even ONE enemy on high levels, do they become worthless? The combo counter takes too long to fill up, and when you miss once, it restarts! The only decent snipers (imo) are the Vectis Prime and the superior Lanka. Snipers only become viable if certain warframe abilities are used, but sometimes I wanna take other warframes on tier 3 sorties and beyond. #MakeSnipersAThingForOnce

Edited by NovusNova
remove tags, change title

Snipers don't need a buff in damage. I perform amazing with all my snipers (Vectis, Vectis Prime, Snipetron, Vulkar Wraith, Rubico). What they need in my opinion is to be reverted to functionality pre sniper rework, which for me messed them up big time. My accuracy dropped ever since the hip fire nerf. There are many threads outlining the problems with the combo counter and how it conflicts with the purpose of snipers as a marksman weapon.

So no, doesn't need buffs, need QoL changes. Reduced scope sway, no hip=fire accuracy drop, change combo counter mechanic.

Possibly add innate punch-through for all snipers.

Possibly allow us to customize the zoom levels ourselves.

DE is doing an update on snipers so we will need to wait to see what ships with PoE.

Sniper damage is fine, and they all generally perform well. They just have a niche audience at the moment. With a good mod setup and a bit of practice, you can get a nice rhythm going. Headshot > Switch Target > Headshot > Switch Target, etc. Depending on the level you may need to double tap occasionally and plan a way to strip armor ahead of time. As with anything else, if you don't plan for enemy scaling, you're gonna have a bad time. Probably the main issue I see others have is breaking out of expecting them to function the same way they do in other shooters. You'll rarely be able to perch somewhere and pick off targets from afar. You have to jump in elbows deep and snipe in the middle of chaos. So, I suppose you also need to plan ahead for your frame's survivability too.

My only issue with snipers is that some of the reticles are god-awful. Just atrocious.

2 hours ago, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

People, do snipers need a huge buff? I mean, this game is about killing as many enemies as fast, and efficient, as possible. If a sniper struggles to kill even ONE enemy on high levels, do they become worthless? The combo counter takes too long to fill up, and when you miss once, it restarts! The only decent snipers (imo) are the Vectis Prime and the superior Lanka. Snipers only become viable if certain warframe abilities are used, but sometimes I wanna take other warframes on tier 3 sorties and beyond. #MakeSnipersAThingForOnce

Probably your are S H I T if you think that those weapons with their current power need more of it.

Sure, you can argue that they may be hard to use for the large majority of the players (although I never had this problem), so they can get some buffs to the mechanics. But sure as hell the current snipers don't need more firepower. They already can high 200-300k damage per single headshot.

19 minutes ago, -N7-Leonhart said:

Probably your are S H I T if you think that those weapons with their current power need more of it.

Sure, you can argue that they may be hard to use for the large majority of the players (although I never had this problem), so they can get some buffs to the mechanics. But sure as hell the current snipers don't need more firepower. They already can high 200-300k damage per single headshot.

Yeah, the problem is that while i go and kill 10 mobs with 50K headshots my teammates murder 100 mobs with 10K bodyshots.

Snipers are damn ineffective in this game IF they would only remove the unscoped accuracy nerf i could call them atleast decent weapons.

2 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Yeah, the problem is that while i go and kill 10 mobs with 50K headshots my teammates murder 100 mobs with 10K bodyshots.

Snipers are damn ineffective in this game IF they would only remove the unscoped accuracy nerf i could call them atleast decent weapons.

A 10k bodyshot is means 40k if it's a critical headshot, and if the sniper hits barely 50k, then it means it's not build very well... But I agree that the un-scoped accuracy is kinda bad.

4 minutes ago, -N7-Leonhart said:

A 10k bodyshot is means 40k if it's a critical headshot, and if the sniper hits barely 50k, then it means it's not build very well... But I agree that the un-scoped accuracy is kinda bad.

I just wanted to point out it doesnt really matter if i kill a mob with 10,100 or 1000K damage when my squad just kills x10 amount because they are much faster.

While i spin in the room with quickscoping they just mow the enemy down.

I learned these from a mastery test: 

1 you can't defeat a horde with guns alone you gotta use the frame's kit to speed things up

2 scoping in takes time even with non sniping weapons

There are times when the horde lines up and you do well with sniping, this gets you multi kills. But most of the time you gotta put in work scoping in and out and lining shots. Also, experience from another FPS shows that this topic is very subjective. 

They need a crit chance buff, so that at least 100% crit is feasible. For a weapon class that's supposed to be focused on precision, it sure does skimp on the mechanic that rewards precision the most. Getting headshots that don't crit is so disappointing. They might need other things, but that's the thing they need the most.

I do extensively use sniper weapons and true, they are not good for dealing with groups, but that is not what they are for. If you want to mow down hordes and hordes of enemies, you should consider a Soma or Sobek.

Rifles like the Lanka that do a lot of damage per shot are mainly for hard targets like Nox, or for poking at bosses when their weak spots open. Sentients also dont like to be shot by them, and neither does Shadow Stalker. Or for Index/Rathuum. If you want to bring a sniper weapon, always bring a backup secondary, I prefer the Azima for when enemies start to pile up too much.

I think they are fine stats wise. The only thing I would like changed would be to be able to choose your scope design. Because Rubico and Vectis scopes are terrible in high light conditions. While the Vulkar's is excellent all around.

Edited by VadiseReikaz

They are not fine.

1 - Most of then can't really hit 100% crit chance that easyly and have average crit multipliers. For a single target weapon it's bad, especially since bows get much higher crits and can hit red crit territory with a good riven. Even with a riven ,it's hard to break 100% crit chance.

2 - Most of the snipers are slow to fire and slow to reload. Compare to bows which you don't have to reload and that get a 2X speed buff on speed mods... And it feels unfair.

3 - They are not silenced, meaning unless you waste a mod slot to silence it, it will alert enemies and make future headshots harder... Once again, bows are silent, hence you're not wasting a mod slot for this.

4 - They aren't that good at status either ,since they have meh base status and their low rate of fire make them bad at proccing multiple statuses.

5 - Their combo counter is mostly too short to be really useful in most combat situations, some of them making harkonan scope mandatory to even use combos since the reload on these is too long.

6 - Most of the snipers have terrible scoped sway when fully zoomed, making it even harder to hit a target far away (which is arguably the only real niche a sniper has since it's outclassed by bows at medium to somewhat long range anyway). And too much zoom when up close, making them essentially bad for both close and long range. Add the fact many snipers have bad looking / hard to read scopes, and you get precise aiming that's not precise and hard headshots to pull off.

7 - Their base damage is not even all that great. It's not bad, but for a precision weapon supposed to oneshot, there are tons of other weapon types that deal more damage per shot, making all these drawbacks seem unfair.

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra

Honestly, it's hard to say if snipers are bad or not. They're certainly bad on maps where the average sightline is probably 20m or less, which is... nearly all of them, but they kinda should be bad on those maps (for most players, no hate for those who prefer snipers... you weirdos). Sniper rifles are for sniping. We don't yet have any maps in the game where sniping is even possible, much less encouraged. I'd be okay with waiting to see how they work in PoE before making any drastic changes.

Snipers are pretty bad simply because it's a horde shooter with no balance, so snipers don't get a significant damage advantage over other options, which makes them pretty much pointless. Hopefully, Plains of Eidolon will make them better due to larger distances and damage drop-off that is going to be introduced.

15 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

I just wanted to point out it doesnt really matter if i kill a mob with 10,100 or 1000K damage when my squad just kills x10 amount because they are much faster.

While i spin in the room with quickscoping they just mow the enemy down.

It does matter. For example, slow firing stuff like Tigris or bows are still pretty effective, right? Well, I find snipers to be even more so, since they have no range limits, and the damage per headshot can be higher than any of those 2. Of course, I also use them with Punch, since there are many times when I get 2-3 kills for a single shot.

7 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

They are not fine.

1 - Most of then can't really hit 100% crit chance that easyly and have average crit multipliers. For a single target weapon it's bad, especially since bows get much higher crits and can hit red crit territory with a good riven. Even with a riven ,it's hard to break 100% crit chance.

2 - Most of the snipers are slow to fire and slow to reload. Compare to bows which you don't have to reload and that get a 2X speed buff on speed mods... And it feels unfair.

3 - They are not silenced, meaning unless you waste a mod slot to silence it, it will alert enemies and make future headshots harder... Once again, bows are silent, hence you're not wasting a mod slot for this.

4 - They aren't that good at status either ,since they have meh base status and their low rate of fire make them bad at proccing multiple statuses.

5 - Their combo counter is mostly too short to be really useful in most combat situations, some of them making harkonan scope mandatory to even use combos since the reload on these is too long.

6 - Most of the snipers have terrible scoped sway when fully zoomed, making it even harder to hit a target far away (which is arguably the only real niche a sniper has since it's outclassed by bows at medium to somewhat long range anyway). And too much zoom when up close, making them essentially bad for both close and long range. Add the fact many snipers have bad looking / hard to read scopes, and you get precise aiming that's not precise and hard headshots to pull off.

7 - Their base damage is not even all that great. It's not bad, but for a precision weapon supposed to oneshot, there are tons of other weapon types that deal more damage per shot, making all these drawbacks seem unfair.

I agree with all of these, even with my busted Sniper Rivens I barely passed 100% crit.

I would also like to add that they could use some sort of headshot mechanic, or simply just have a higher headshot multiplier than other weapons. 
Or at least have punch through on kill/ on headshot. Bows really do beat them down currently, and with the Lenz's release Snipers just seem blown out of the water.

21 hours ago, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

Are they worthless? Nah

In need for a massive shotgun like buff? Nope

Though they do need tweaks and QoL changes tho

Edited by helghastgunner

10 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

They are not fine.

1 YES

2 That's..kinda expected though, similar to bows who have projectile speed and has to reload after every shot.

3 I guess, eh this never really bothered me.

4 Test out viral,I pretty much use that for all missions when using the vectis.

5 Yes to this as well

6 Not to mention horrible hip fire. I also only use the vectis family because of the scope view.

7 Well those other weapons( I assume you're talking about launchers and shotguns) do have there own downsides, the first can kill you and the latter has falloff.

I have a Vulkar Wraith with a very mean riven on it, and it's one of my favorite weapons to use. .can drop the highest level heavy armored units as one of the fastest of weapons I own. .but mind you this is an exception to the rule. .overall I'd say they need some work. .if you don't have a riven on it they are pretty underwhelming for being a sniper rifle. .

Edited by komoriblues

" , and " comma then and, it hurts...

but to address you post snipers are very strong vs single targets, fopr me the top snipers are the vulkar wraith beacause of its long 10s combo counter, strong riven dispostion and the rivens are pretty cheap.

The rubico is also up ther due to its innate 3x crit damage multiplier.

, andup ther due