Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tough love for Gara. (Please don't name her Gara)

Rhubarber

2 minutes ago, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

Silica sounds more gracious and "crystaline" then Gara or Garasu. I feel bad just pronouncing that name they gave her. It sounds... awfull. It feels like "Gratler" and "Grakata", which are not really as "refined" as her. She needs something beautiful, not harsh. 

And who cares about that sand guy? If that's the reason people like her name, then they don't like the name, they just like that guy from the anime. That's not how you make yourself an opinion about how a frame is called and shouldn't be an argument at all, imho. (Feel free to throw rocks at me)

All good my dude, the whole gara anime thing for me is more about keeping your product distinct. It's more about the identity of the warframe being comfortably separate so it doesn't put unrelated imaged in the users mind. That's not really a strong argument, I agree, but it's pretty dang important from a design perspective which is where my background is. I'm hoping the point communicates well to DEs design sentiments, not necessarily for the warframe itself but it's execution once released to the public. But your point still holds weight so I agree as a consumer. 

1 minute ago, NightBlitz said:

not fond of Gara myself, doesnt really sound like it fits a glass themed frame, sounds a little to sturdy and durable to me.

that said, i dont like silica anymore than gara, neither a good choices imo. but w/e I'll live with it anyways

Maybe, maybe not. Do you have or heard any names you like?

hmm..   -googles "Gara"-

Results:

WoW NPC Gara

Spoiler

431201-gara.jpg

Gara, Kamen Rider:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20141109055835

Even this one, Gara from Bastard anime series:

Spoiler

250?cb=20131025012707

and then there is this popular one, Gara from Naruto anime series:

Spoiler

gaara.jpg

Funny thing is... the Gara from Naruto is spelled with two a's. Gaara. Whereas the one from Warframe is spelled with one a, Gara.

But yeah... there can be some confusion... mainly because Gaara from Naruto was out a lot longer.

I think it's fine to me. Let's not make a big deal over nothing...

Also:

We didn't call Atlas - Boulder.
We didn't call Hydroid - Squid.
We didn't call Banshee - Sound.
We didn't call Mesa - Pistol.
We didn't call Loki - Invisible.
We didn't call Limbo - Douchebag.
(Ember and Frost are still marginally better than 'Fire' or 'Ice' but this ain't about them.)

I found that humorous, although not really.

1 minute ago, Rhubarber said:

Maybe, maybe not. Do you have or heard any names you like?

so far? Hari, tho it for some reason makes me think of needles. could make a good name for a weapon instead tho

besides that? not much to be honest, not many really seem to fit to me

Edited by NightBlitz

2 minutes ago, NightBlitz said:

so far? Hari, tho it for some reason makes me think of needles. could make a good name for a weapon instead tho

besides that? not much to be honest, not many really seem to fit to me

I can see needles. Her one is that glass lance thing right? So maaaybeeee? lol, yeah it took me a while just to come up with the list I made so I shouldn't say DE is being lazy with this name. It is a tough process they no doubt talked about for a long while so who knows what some dingus in the forums can do but I'mma just go for it.

1 minute ago, Hayabusa97 said:

I wonder if Enoptra (basically Enoptro, just with the second o changed to an a) is a good name even though I don't know how the hell it is pronounced and I basically just snagged a root word from the Power Listing wikia.

Enoptra is pretty cool actually. I'll add it to the OP. But yeah I don't mind that name at all and it even plays into her ability with the mirrors she puts up. I would be down for some Enoptra action.

7 hours ago, Dabluechimp said:

Gara isn't the first Warframe who's name is based off their theme and won't be the last
people are only fussing cause of it's connection with Naruto

As far as I've read it, no, people that were invested in the name (the Design Council for example, who were asked to come up with the name, had an 8 page thread of suggested names that they upvoted and endorsed the ones they preferred...) are upset because DE picked out the one name that wasn't even actually mentioned; Gara is a shortening of the suggested name Garasu, which was not supported or even given any attention by the rest of the Design Council.

This was one where the community could have decided the name by popular vote, but DE didn't make it clear that they would pretty much be picking from all the suggestions, with no weighting of the actual community preference.

But even outside of that thread there's plenty of people who have suggested far better names than just the oddly cut-down Romanji of 'glass'.

Yeah Hydroid is not on the Nose at all...
Is there any other frame who is named after its main theme in a different language? no? well then I would say its rather original.
If there will ever be a beast frame and it would be called: Kruha (maltese for beast) I would be fine with that as well.

Lets not pretend warframe has original names for its frames so far, naming it after a bunch of Greek or Norse mythology is hardly the pinnacle of originality.

Just see it as another name, don't look at its meaning or whatever, its just a name, like the Nintendo Wii, just a name, nothing more nothing less.
And doing that I am happy we have a frame starting with a G, as we have no framename starting with a G so far.
I am however slightly disappoint the name ends once agan with an A...... Nova, Chroma, Ivara, Mesa, Nezha, Octavia, Titania... enough already...
Seeing as it came from Garasu, naming her Gasu would have been better imo.

1 hour ago, ZoneDymo said:

Yeah Hydroid is not on the Nose at all...
Is there any other frame who is named after its main theme in a different language? no? well then I would say its rather original.
If there will ever be a beast frame and it would be called: Kruha (maltese for beast) I would be fine with that as well.

Lets not pretend warframe has original names for its frames so far, naming it after a bunch of Greek or Norse mythology is hardly the pinnacle of originality.

Just see it as another name, don't look at its meaning or whatever, its just a name, like the Nintendo Wii, just a name, nothing more nothing less.
And doing that I am happy we have a frame starting with a G, as we have no framename starting with a G so far.
I am however slightly disappoint the name ends once agan with an A...... Nova, Chroma, Ivara, Mesa, Nezha, Octavia, Titania... enough already...
Seeing as it came from Garasu, naming her Gasu would have been better imo.

Yeah, Hyrdroid's name is not that great. I agree, but we can't help hydroid unless DE wants to help hydroid. The Glass Frame however, can be salvaged. And the discussion here isn't about the name being original as it stands alone, it's about cohesiveness to her design and gameplay. Nintendo didn't just name the Wii without thought, they spent good money and time trying to come up with an accessible name for all age groups to broaden their audience. Nova puts a picture in your head and her moves further demonstrate her namesake. Explosions, space, orbiting ball weapons and a wormhole, the name almost already preps you for her gameplay. Loki does it too, it doesn't matter he was named after a Norse god, what matters is that he was named after the right Norse god. Loki has a reputation and temperament and the warframe reflects that in its moves with switch teleporting and invisibility.

Originality is important, don't get me wrong, but originality for the sake of originality is weak. What works better is conciseness, a well-wrapped package that can almost precede owning the warframe. It's not about checking items off a list, it's just good design (and good cooking) to have every facet of the product to complement the central idea or ingredient. I think that the name Gara sells the warframe short. It's based on a language most of the player base does not speak, so it doesn't mean anything to them and the people who do speak the language won't recognize the word it was taken from. (Or maybe, but it doesn't really matter.) The name is stuck in a gray area, neither hot nor cold and adds nothing to the big picture of her concept.

It can start with a letter G, but I don't think that's necessarily the right place to start haha

2 hours ago, LuckyCharm said:

I like the name, its short, easy to remember, and it's much better than naming it something like Nidus, because for me.. that's super forgettable and I skip over him every single time i browse my frames because it isn't noticeable for me

Nidus has a problem of accessibility. The name complements his playstyle and theme, but most would have to look it up to find out how it's relevant. I did anyway. I think the name works, but like I said unless you look it up you can't see the angle by just looking at it, but the angle is there at least.

2 hours ago, Rhubarber said:

Yeah, Hyrdroid's name is not that great. I agree, but we can't help hydroid unless DE wants to help hydroid. The Glass Frame however, can be salvaged. And the discussion here isn't about the name being original as it stands alone, it's about cohesiveness to her design and gameplay. Nintendo didn't just name the Wii without thought, they spent good money and time trying to come up with an accessible name for all age groups to broaden their audience. Nova puts a picture in your head and her moves further demonstrate her namesake. Explosions, space, orbiting ball weapons and a wormhole, the name almost already preps you for her gameplay. Loki does it too, it doesn't matter he was named after a Norse god, what matters is that he was named after the right Norse god. Loki has a reputation and temperament and the warframe reflects that in its moves with switch teleporting and invisibility.

Originality is important, don't get me wrong, but originality for the sake of originality is weak. What works better is conciseness, a well-wrapped package that can almost precede owning the warframe. It's not about checking items off a list, it's just good design (and good cooking) to have every facet of the product to complement the central idea or ingredient. I think that the name Gara sells the warframe short. It's based on a language most of the player base does not speak, so it doesn't mean anything to them and the people who do speak the language won't recognize the word it was taken from. (Or maybe, but it doesn't really matter.) The name is stuck in a gray area, neither hot nor cold and adds nothing to the big picture of her concept.

It can start with a letter G, but I don't think that's necessarily the right place to start haha

While I do not disagree with you, I feel Gara is fine, another name would have been fine too, perhaps better but I cannot say I have a problem with the name other then it ending on an A as I mentioned.

If she was named Glass it would have been fine to me as well, Glass sounds pretty cool as a name.

I also think that not too many people will know who or what Loki is either (I mean ok those recent Thor films probably helped but still).
Or Atlas, or where Chroma comes from, or Nyx, or Mesa, or Zephyr, or Trinity, or Vauban... hell most frame names are probably a mistery as to their origin and so much players will just see them as names.

No different from the characters from for example Overwatch or whatever.

But then you never claimed those were good names in the first place ;)

23 hours ago, Rhubarber said:

Would you name your kid 'musuko' because that's the word for son in Japanese? Are we really doing this? The glass warframe's name is Glass? It's like a bad tattoo: Tattooing 'water' on your arm in another language may be much better than leaving it in english, but you still know what you did. Gara is so on the nose, it IS the nose. You can't change it into a Japanese nose and think 'that'll do', IT'S STILL A NOSE!

We didn't call Atlas - Boulder.
We didn't call Hydroid - Squid.
We didn't call Banshee - Sound.
We didn't call Mesa - Pistol.
We didn't call Loki - Invisible.
We didn't call Limbo - Douchebag.
(Ember and Frost are still marginally better than 'Fire' or 'Ice' but this ain't about them.)

They have relevant names, but not named after their gimmick. Where does this inspiration come from? She has glass armor and glass powers so we will name her 'Glass In Japanese.'

For sure people are going to think Naruto, not glass. It's way too late for that distinction to be made.

"What should we name this warframe?"
"You know the show Naruto?"
"Yeah, of course. Everyone's at least heard of it."
"So you know Gara right? The sand guy?"
"Kinda."
"Good because we should name it Gara, but not like Gara. Because Gara is Gara and we want to make Gara separate from Gara to avoid any confusion or self-identity."
*googles Gara* "All I see is Gara."
*rolls eyes* "Type in 'Gara from Warframe.'"

In all seriousness, I would like to propose at least consideration for other names and since I am not one to bring up a problem without some solutions I made a small list of some concepts for her name: (I don't know if these were previously proposed, but I really hope we can at least think about this a little longer. Plains of Eidolon looks dope, and I want the Warframe to be able to keep up.)

Rondelle - Blown glass made flat when spun.

Silesia - The main ingredient used in art glass.

Parison - Refers to the first small bubble that comes from the blowpipe when blowing glass.

Alkali - one of the essential ingredients of glass, generally accounting for about 15-20 percent of the batch. The alkali is a flux, which reduces the melting point of the major constituent of glass, silica. (<-- Copy Pasted)

Cintra - A type of decorative glass.

EDIT: (Additional names as they come in.)

Acanthus - An ornament that resembles the leaves of an Acanthus.

Enoptra - A play on Enoptro: Divination or fortune telling with mirrors.

You cant argue that warframes were'nt called by their respective element, then mention ember and frost (also hurting my feelings by not mentioning volt) and then say they dont count. You just refuted your own argument, and your going to have to do better than just saying they dont count, because they do indeed count, or you wouldnt have mentioned them. And if you didnt mention them, someone else surely would have, as i did with volt...

So...

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO
Edit

14 hours ago, Thaylien said:

As far as I've read it, no, people that were invested in the name (the Design Council for example, who were asked to come up with the name, had an 8 page thread of suggested names that they upvoted and endorsed the ones they preferred...) are upset because DE picked out the one name that wasn't even actually mentioned; Gara is a shortening of the suggested name Garasu, which was not supported or even given any attention by the rest of the Design Council.

This was one where the community could have decided the name by popular vote, but DE didn't make it clear that they would pretty much be picking from all the suggestions, with no weighting of the actual community preference.

But even outside of that thread there's plenty of people who have suggested far better names than just the oddly cut-down Romanji of 'glass'.

Its not oddly cut down....gara sounds vaguely feminine...what does garasu sound like? What does it sound like butchered by an english speaker? Probably not feminine.

As soon as I heard Silica, I thought it was a good fit. Gara isn't a terrible name, but I agree that it's pretty on the nose and if it really is based off of 'Garasu' that's just laughable. And I mean that as in it's hysterical for a minute or two and then it's just sad.

15 hours ago, (PS4)ArtPrince17 said:

Ember's name is fire or Kasai? Frost isn't Ice. Volt isn't Electricity or fast man. Mag get's a bit of a pass because she's really old.

What? Embers are the smoldering remains of a fire, frost is frozen water vapor, volt is the unit for electric potential. Those names are just as bad. 

Edited by SeriouslySinister