Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

With PoE and the sniper changes coming, now would be a good time to address loot pickup

littleal93

Loot pickup and vacuum have been a pretty heated topic at times within our community.  As a player who once didn't understand why everyone needed to be running carrier with vacuum, I now find myself unable to function properly without my sentinel scooping up ammo, resources, and energy for me.  I have a hard time slowing myself down to pick up the things I need, especially in sometimes laggy environments when things don't even pick up properly in the first place.  The massive new environment coming with Plains of Eidolon and the changes to snipers necessitates a change to loot pickups.

Vacuum is not the answer

The pickup radius of vacuum is pretty small, which is generally okay-ish in the tight quarters and hallways of the tilesets we currently have.  PoE is going to completely change this.  The long lines of sight and open-world environment of the Plains are probably going to result in players playing further away from their enemies.  The lack of hallways and a designated route to funnel all the players through the same space is likely going to result in tons of missed pickups from enemies.  Also kubrows and kavats are still left out with vacuum, and what better place to let our favorite pets run free than on the Plains.

500 meters is a long way

With the changes to damage falloff coming with PoE, DE seems to want snipers to operate in a range of 300-600 meters which is fine, snipers need an operational space in the game.  However, with the current system, this would require our friendly neighborhood sniper user to travel around half a kilometer to claim the spoils of their kills.  Even with our immediate (albeit clunky) access to our archwings, 500 m is more than anyone wants to be forced to detour just to claim their rightful rewards and keep supplies up.  Making players go on miniature fetch missions after each firefight detracts from the openness and exploration of the open world.

Enemy drops should be instantly rewarded to players

Containers can remain how they are to encourage exploration and prevent nuking all the containers on the map and getting everything, but with the long range firefights coming with PoE, we should be rewarded for our kills rather than punished.  When you and your squad hit a nice flurry of sniper kills from 500 m away and a solid burst of rifle kills from 200 m away, you should be given your mods, credits, ammo, and other rewards without having to go physically loot the corpses.  This would allow for more fluid skirmishes and prevent having to chase down potential drops from stray enemies in the distance that you pick off while exploring the Plains.  This would also remove the disincentives of potentially missing out on pickups when using long range weapons.  Additionally, it would allow for players to run around the Plains with their pets (which I know my pets would love after so long in cryostasis).

If it would work with Nekros-s Desecrate too somehow, i don't see a problem with this, though i wouldn't mind flying a few km-s for the loot if i knew it's a rare mod or something that's worth it, it would take like 2 seconds and the energy for Itzal-s Blink but it would be probably harder to implement than an instant loot receive. :thinking:

This is not a problem.

This would just work like most of the open world games with resources, you will have to kill enemes and go on corps to take loots once the area is safe.
Plus, this would make looting high level enemies corps harder for new players if they kill them faraway with a sniper, so that's good.

I personally don't have a problem with instant loot, possibly having certain rarer things still drop, but be automatically marked in some way so you can't miss them. That way the sense of going over to grab that rare cool thing would still be there (if that's what the devs like about the current looting experience). 

If they're just completely against any form of fully automatic long-range loot, another option could be to implement a loot-a-rang. One of my favorite convenient toys to use on engineers in World of Warcraft is my loot-a-rang (I wish it didn't require engineering but they changed it in Legion to make us sad). 

In this game a loot-a-rang could be given its own keybinding and have a pretty decent range (able to pick up that sniper kill loot) and arc (180 maybe?) for AoE looting. It could automatically target loot in that wide area and bring it back to you. IE: you snipe a bunch of guys, there's random loot spread out hundreds of meters away from you, you trigger your loot-a-rang, it flies out and you can see it moving fast from item to item, sucking it up and then coming back to you and then displaying the typical looting notices. Basically, a long range but active form of Vacuum.

I'm against this, for the same reason that I don't use Vacuum even when I do use a sentinel. Why would I want anything that takes away my ability to control when pickups are consumed? Given the unreliable nature of ammo and energy drops in particular, I don't want any of them to be wasted by having them automatically collected when I don't really need them. If our companions were allowed to collect pickups only when our supply was actually low enough to fully utilize them (and all pets were allowed the Retrieve precept, and said precept were made to not suck), I might be okay with it, but I still don't think it's reasonable to snipe enemies and then automatically loot them from half a kilometer away. Of course you should have to actually travel to the bodies to loot them.

It's called wasd, and that's only the bare-bones basic answer to the problem you're describing.  To wit;  We can cover a little over 60 meters in a single bullet jump combo.  This means that 500 meters traversed is under 10 maximized jumps.

Being 500 meters away from an enemy unit means you're essentially 99.9% safe from all counter actions from them.  Forcing a sniper player to actually close for loot is the caveat that keeps the player grounded and also rewards them for using a well-rounded loadout.  Use a sniper to take out the most threatening targets (while closing distance if you're a good shot) and then utilize a secondary while you're in closer range.  Then utilizing melee to mop up at point blank if so desired.

Giving everyone auto-free loot forever means everyone just staying a mile away from enemies, in relatively perfect safety, popping enemy units without any real chance of failure.  For anyone who hasn't yet bothered properly forma'ing a sniper rifle.  Their damage is obscenely high, and the incoming buffs will improve some of them outright, with the combo buffs and innate punch through making them all far, far stronger in a drawn out fight.  Were the sniper user to get all ammo drops instantly delivered unto them during a skirmish, they'd basically be able to turn Warframe into a point and click adventure game.

We were given Parkour 2.0 for a reason, use it.

11 hours ago, Bobtm said:

It's called wasd, and that's only the bare-bones basic answer to the problem you're describing.  To wit;  We can cover a little over 60 meters in a single bullet jump combo.  This means that 500 meters traversed is under 10 maximized jumps.

Being 500 meters away from an enemy unit means you're essentially 99.9% safe from all counter actions from them.  Forcing a sniper player to actually close for loot is the caveat that keeps the player grounded and also rewards them for using a well-rounded loadout.  Use a sniper to take out the most threatening targets (while closing distance if you're a good shot) and then utilize a secondary while you're in closer range.  Then utilizing melee to mop up at point blank if so desired.

Giving everyone auto-free loot forever means everyone just staying a mile away from enemies, in relatively perfect safety, popping enemy units without any real chance of failure.  For anyone who hasn't yet bothered properly forma'ing a sniper rifle.  Their damage is obscenely high, and the incoming buffs will improve some of them outright, with the combo buffs and innate punch through making them all far, far stronger in a drawn out fight.  Were the sniper user to get all ammo drops instantly delivered unto them during a skirmish, they'd basically be able to turn Warframe into a point and click adventure game.

This right here should be the official answer to this question.

2 hours ago, BlackRoseAngel said:

Is it still necessary to use Carrier? I honestly get more mileage out of Taxon and Dethcube.

But then I tend to use weapons that don't run out of ammo that fast.

Only use my Carrier when i'm using bows or guns that use a lot of ammo really fast like the Akstiletto, Ignis and Soma. All the rest of the time is Taxon and Helios

13 hours ago, Bobtm said:

couldn't have said better 

15 hours ago, Bobtm said:

You can watch a PoE stream for all of 5 minutes to realize snipers won't be perfectly safe. There are enemy sniper units and drop ships and who knows what else. 

Maybe a perma stealth sniper will be perfectly safe, but a perma stealth person in melee range may be perfectly safe as well if they aren't sneaking in some counter stealth mechanics we haven't seen yet. It's kind of silly to use safety as an argument against long range loot in a game with perma cc, perma stealth and perma invulnerability. 

There will be little practical reason to use a sniper if we have to move in to loot anyway. People may do it just cause "I want to snipe," but it won't be particularly efficient. You might as well use AoE weapons/abilities as usual and move in and kill them faster and loot them at the same time.