Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Speculate on any "gamechanging" surprises that will be revealed about Warframes via the Sacrifice event.

(PSN)Silverback73

From a lore perspective, I'm wondering if each "Umbra" represents the original Tenno/Warframe prototype prior to "Orokinized" Primes.

The "sacrifice" involved individual, exceptionally gifted Tenno giving up their bodies to permanently fuse with a generic "base model" that transforms to represent and express the Tenno's power and personality.

Transference with surrogate flesh hadn't been perfected.

The result was a very powerful but vulnerable Warframe.

It would mean that each frame has an original Tenno with an origin story just like Rell.

And Stalker would very much fall under the umbrella:  A low guardian  who discovered the very dangerous and proprietary Umbra Warframe technology and used it.

Fin

For the longest time I thought Warframes were the "less fortunately" affected by The Void, locked up in a tin box.

Now I'm not so sure.
I'm thinking it might be Dax Soldiers, purposefully infested by Orokin and then canned up.

Either way is fine by me, as long as it's something shocking, disgusting and immoral.
Would fit "The Orokin way".

23 minutes ago, Shifted said:

For the longest time I thought Warframes were the "less fortunately" affected by The Void, locked up in a tin box.

Now I'm not so sure.
I'm thinking it might be Dax Soldiers, purposefully infested by Orokin and then canned up.

Either way is fine by me, as long as it's something shocking, disgusting and immoral.

Same here.  Imagine the dark secret being that the prototypes for the frames we have meant:

1.  A Tenno had to sacrifice their body entirely and BECAME Umbra and that the revelation is that the genesis of the frames we use meant the death of the most talented of us.

Or...

2.  Somewhere the original Tenno are stuck in a permanent transference loop and the quest becomes a race to get to the...body (cringe) before the Corpus, Grineer, or Sentients.

I think that the Umbra frames are indeed a permament thing, meaning that you wouldn't use transference to control them, but the process of continuity, to become One with the warframe. This kinda makes sense, when keeping the trailer in mind, hearing life supports and what Ballas is saying.

You'd have to sacrifice your life, in order to become a very powerful warrior. I still don't know whose lives Ballas is referring to and how that sacrifice fits into the whole thing though.

Edited by Ferah_Frithu

46 minutes ago, Ferah_Frithu said:

I think that the Umbra frames are indeed a permament thing, meaning that you wouldn't use transference to control them, but the process of continuity, to become One with the warframe. This kinda makes sense, when keeping the trailer in mind, hearing life supports and what Ballas is saying.

You'd have to sacrifice your life, in order to become a very powerful warrior. I still don't know whose lives Ballas is referring to and how that sacrifice fits into the whole thing though.

So... Assuming your theory is correct, you're saying I could potentially (Assuming this is ever a thing) literally BE a Volt? That would be my dream come true! 

3 hours ago, KelsierSurvivor said:

So... Assuming your theory is correct, you're saying I could potentially (Assuming this is ever a thing) literally BE a Volt? That would be my dream come true! 

Well, it speculates that the very FIRST frame of it's kind involved a unique event, a single Tenno's Sacrifice on a level we haven't seen...be it death or an unending Second Nightmare of sorts...whether the connection is so strong that the Tenno dies if the Warframe dies (The Matrix movies) or getting so deep and lost in the initial connection you can't be awakened without higher brain function ceasing  (the concept known as "The Drift" in Pacific Rim explores this danger with Mako).

It speculates that Umbras are the Progenitors of the entire transference program, each Tenno molding a Frame template into a unique expression, made a reality not just because Margulis wanted to save them, but that the Executors saw value in keeping them healthy and weaponizing them.

It may have started and ended with Excaliber, but if DE wants to take advantage of tremendous revenue and lore opportunities, EVERY frame we have will have it's Umbra prototype.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

4 hours ago, Ferah_Frithu said:

It's difficult to draw a line where transference and continuity are separated from eachother. While the Orokin seem to have practiced Continuity since before Transference was invented, we see in the Silver Grove that Transference can be used as an alternative to Continuity. A long dead scientist's spirit is forever trapped within the Grove, a living death. But then, she is not just one tree or one animal. Her spirit animates the Grove and its surroundings to the point where it can defend itself from intruders. This leads me to believe that Transference is not a 1-to-1 exchange as Continuity is, and that the Operators may be able to use Transference in ways that we have not yet discovered.

Edited by Mints

11 hours ago, Shifted said:

Now I'm not so sure.

+1 for this.

I'm hoping it's something so genuinely dark, that I'll have to choose between my salt over not having an Excal Prime and whether I want Insert Character's Name Here's blood to be on my hands to get Excalibur Umbra.

My guess is the sacrifice will be made by Lotus and it will probably be the

Spoiler

Orokin Tower at Cetus to prevent Hunhow from using it. Based on a post in another thread I'm also kind of leaning towards the Unum being the Cephalon formerly known as Margulis.

Umbra basically wannabe emo warframes with scarfs.
Look, the operator is a boy in a cool gamer chair doing the work.
So realistically there is nothing much to sacrifice if at all.

It is drone work, for a better term.

Edited by fatpig84

Same, i hope they are frames with minds of their own. Like Ember umbra being the kid in her prime codex entry. Then it'll make sense that each frames have genders and personality because they are modeled from an actual frame with said personality.

Sacrifice could just be a great way to putting warframe back on the grimmer side. Not to be edgy and all but the original premise was pretty dark back then.

Most likely the Sacrifice will be about warframes with self-conscious (the Umbras aka the dark counterpart of prime warframes), as DE foreshadowed this in TSD. With Tenno retrieved their true power in TWW the Sacrifice will be centered on warframes...however it's hard to predict the plot. Ballas was likely talking to dying/wounded Margulus as we can hear some medical equipment beeps, "the Sacrifice" could mean Margulus coz she was known to be the first person who sacrificed herself for the sake of children. However, in another sense warframes are sacrifice also to complete the transference technology (as they lost their own sentience and became the vessel of Tenno void energy).

Edited by Marvelous_A