Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do people get so salty at leeching?

4thBro

I'm actually almost completely ok with leeches. Either something happened and they couldn't play when they started the mission, in which case they usually come back, or they have some weird way of playing the game that I don't share. Maybe they're experimenting with something and it requires a pub match to test. Regardless, it has never affected me to such a degree that I couldn't just finish the mission or back out and do it again. Anything that requires a concerted effort is usually built with an adequate team where everyone plays their part.

If someone just wants to run around and loot, cool beans. I'll kill what you don't and life will go on. You do you. It's not an epidemic.

Whenever I go anywhere to level up a frame or weapon, my rule of thumb is to always bring a weapon to contribute to the mission, like my Arca Plasmor or my Lesion. I never walk in with everything unranked, expecting the group to carry me. I like to feel that I contributed, not just stand there and reap the benefits while someone else does all the work.

As for people who remain afk in spawn points: gg, a-wipes. Don't expect to get revived...

8 hours ago, Fishyflakes said:

If you don't want a leech then....

8Ess7iZ.png

Thats not a solution. WF is a primarily MP game. "play solo" is not a valid point when people are doing something selfish and being a hindrance, purely so they can make progress in a game they're not playing.

Its a not an all purpose, cover all solution you can use for everything.

XP leeches are annoying if you can do the mission without them, and completely crippling if you can't. If I'm running a mission, I expect everyone to try, not necessarily contribute, but at the very least try. I'm a high level player, so I can solo just about everything short of the trials, but if there's a leech then I will abandon them just on principle. If I see them trying, if I see them shooting or casting or even just going down a lot from taking hits, then they're good in my book. But sit in a corner and do stuff all? Yeah, you're not getting a damned thing from me.

Though, when I hear the word leech, I think of the people who join your radshare without the relic in question. The people who want a rare part without any of the work, beyond some basic deception. Of course, the instant I spot one, the mission is aborted and I wait for them to pick the correct relic or leave. That's the kind of thing that bothers me more

I' don't mind leeches if I volunteer  to let let them leech like when noobs r like help me level. I don't mind carrying and doing the work. What pisses me off is when someone comes into say a sortie and does nothing and I end up carrying the whole mission. Talking about a broken back lol. You could also just solo play to avoid the problem  overall. Personally  you could just leave them in the mission  and let them suffer to. All preference on you the player .

1 minute ago, joelinux said:

Now I'm concerned, because I have two Riven mods that require I not do anything on a level 30+ survival mission.  Hopefully, I don't get blocked by people...

Just ask for help an dB let people  know before hand so u don't look like a jerk.  If someone told me ahead of time wouldn't  mind helping.

2 minutes ago, joelinux said:

Now I'm concerned, because I have two Riven mods that require I not do anything on a level 30+ survival mission.  Hopefully, I don't get blocked by people...

Just ask for help an dB let people  know before hand so u don't look like a jerk.  If someone told me ahead of time wouldn't  mind helping.

10 minutes ago, joelinux said:

There is no riven challenge that requires you to do nothing on a level 30+ survival.  THere is one that requires you to kill no enemies - but if you do that one your teammates can't kill any either.

You are expected to open loot containers/caches and/or pickpocket enemies for life support.  I highly suggest Ivara + Master Thief/Loot Radar/And or a pet with the open locked container mod.

Edited by (XB1)Tucker D Dawg

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)SupremeMorpheus said:

XP leeches are annoying if you can do the mission without them, and completely crippling if you can't. If I'm running a mission, I expect everyone to try, not necessarily contribute, but at the very least try. I'm a high level player, so I can solo just about everything short of the trials, but if there's a leech then I will abandon them just on principle. If I see them trying, if I see them shooting or casting or even just going down a lot from taking hits, then they're good in my book. But sit in a corner and do stuff all? Yeah, you're not getting a damned thing from me.

That's the affinity system for yah. the only times it benefits the leechers to contribute is if they're levelling thier warframe. (50/50 to Weapon/Warframe if they kill with weapons) However, contributing to the kills while trying to ranking up a weapon is actually a detriment to the Affininity Gain. (25/75 to Warframe/Weapon via shared affinity if you let your squadmates do the killing)

Edited by (XB1)calvina

13 hours ago, 4thBro said:

GL to everyone out there, lmao. I tried to spread understanding. People don't wanna understand. (Generally speaking, even. Not just right here.)

To reiterate... I said I'll bring a weapon to be ready to contribute if the team is struggling. But otherwise and alas, the game's exp system encourages me to leech.

Wondering when someone, somewhere, might post something along the line of... "yeah, I haven't thought of a point or two that you've brought up. I will think about that the next time I may have otherwise been inclined to rage at a leecher."

Yeah, not how that works.  That you claim you've met others halfway on an issue does not necessitate that they meet you halfway as well.

Person A:  The moon is made of cheese

Everyone Else:  No, it's not.  Here's a ton of evidence that it's not.

Person A:  OK, I'll meet you halfway and say the moon is not completely made of cheese, but there are rich veins of cheese that we could mine.

Everyone Else:  No, that's still not true.

Person A:  I met you halfway, why can't you meet me halfway and agree that there are rich deposits of cheese on the moon?

Note, this is just a generic example.  I'm not saying anything about your position or anyone else's in this thread, just pointing out the bad logic on display.

10 hours ago, StinkyPygmy said:

Thats not how EXP works. You're right about affinity range EXP from teammates kills being split evenly between gear, but not about EXP for what you kill an enemy with. EXP you get from kills is still split between all your items that aren't 30, it's just that the majority goes to whatever you are currently using.

Point being, leeching still isn't even the most efficient way to level gear. Contributing is.

If you're going to leech, then why even play the game? There is literally no point.

Also not how that works.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity

If you kill an enemy with a weapon, 50% goes to that weapon and 50% to your frame.  Weapons that you don't use gain no affinity.  It is quite a bit easier to level up weapons using shared affinity than by directly killing with the weapon, especially when that weapon is under-powered.  I'm not suggesting that people leech, but we can't deny that the affinity system does lend itself to doing that if one wants the quickest results (at least in terms of how affinity sharing works).

DE's official policy on leeching is that it is a form of harassment, and hence is reportable as such.

However, being underpowered or bad at the game isn't leeching.  Leeching is when you're not putting effort into helping your team.

Edited by (PS4)Unstar

Many of the reasons were mentioned here already, they intentionally come unprepared and pretty much demand that others carry them, they don't actually state that in chat, but you look at the gameplay being done (next to none) and you know you have to babysit that player.

Sure early on things are aceptable to a certain point (but not afk gameplay), but sorties, akkad or any other mission it begs the question "what are you even doing here?" as player take up a slot to other, more worthy players.

While rare, i had a very unusual situation recently, where a player was complaining that embers where killing everything, leaving him nothing to do in mission, however this player was identified as a afk player and a leecher ingame even when no embers where around.

Leechers are only a fraction better than full afk players (and these can actually harm the mission when staying afk) so it is advised that if you are giving feedback about the game, warframe or anything regarding gameplay, that you aren't one of these, otherwise the statements fall flat, if you don't play, if you don't make an effort, then your opinion is pointless.

2 hours ago, joelinux said:

Those are actually fairly easy.  I solo them when I get them.  You can still use the air canister things, just have to run around and avoid everything between popping the air.

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

Yeah, not how that works.  That you claim you've met others halfway on an issue does not necessitate that they meet you halfway as well.

Person A:  The moon is made of cheese

Everyone Else:  No, it's not.  Here's a ton of evidence that it's not.

Person A:  OK, I'll meet you halfway and say the moon is not completely made of cheese, but there are rich veins of cheese that we could mine.

Everyone Else:  No, that's still not true.

Person A:  I met you halfway, why can't you meet me halfway and agree that there are rich deposits of cheese on the moon?

Note, this is just a generic example.  I'm not saying anything about your position or anyone else's in this thread, just pointing out the bad logic on display.

Also not how that works.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity

If you kill an enemy with a weapon, 50% goes to that weapon and 50% to your frame.  Weapons that you don't use gain no affinity.  It is quite a bit easier to level up weapons using shared affinity than by directly killing with the weapon, especially when that weapon is under-powered.  I'm not suggesting that people leech, but we can't deny that the affinity system does lend itself to doing that if one wants the quickest results (at least in terms of how affinity sharing works).

Then how have I been passively leveling gear all this time?

The wiki isn't always 100% correct. The results speak for themselves.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

2 hours ago, StinkyPygmy said:

Thats not a solution. WF is a primarily MP game. "play solo" is not a valid point when people are doing something selfish and being a hindrance, purely so they can make progress in a game they're not playing.

Its a not an all purpose, cover all solution you can use for everything.

ZW9MErZ.png

4 minutes ago, Fishyflakes said:

No leeches if you play with a clan. It's simple right? :facepalm:

You've clearly missed the point :facepalm:

People being blatantly selfish and wasting their own time as well as others time is not something anyone should have to deal with, pugs or not. Get a clan and play solo are both equally regressive arguments to make.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Just now, StinkyPygmy said:

You've clearly missed the point :facepalm:

People being blatantly selfish and wasting their own time as well as others time is not something anyone should have to deal with, pugs or not. Get a clan and play solo are both equally as regressive arguments to make.

But... surely finding some like-minded friends will cause you to not deal with pugs?

What is your point again? Did you want to all pugs that join your games to conform to some sort of "meta"?

10 minutes ago, Fishyflakes said:

But... surely finding some like-minded friends will cause you to not deal with pugs?

What is your point again? Did you want to all pugs that join your games to conform to some sort of "meta"?

How you've managed to gleen any of that from what I've posted is beyond me. Not leeching and not being selfish is considered "meta" now? Dang, I must be really far behind.

In short simple terms: Leech Bad. 

In slightly more elaborate terms: Ignoring a problem in favor of temporary solutions is bad and regressive, just because you can handle a leech, it doesn't mean you should have too, not everyone wants to be in a clan, leeching makes no sense at its core: Why play the game to not actually play it?

Edited by StinkyPygmy