Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fellas, let's talk about slot purchases

(PSN)YoKiwi__

When I compared the stamina bar to the slots, I'm comparing their aspects, like being small, insignificant things that are very annoying in the long run.

Also, DE is a big company that monetizes a lot of things in Warframe. I'm more than sure they can manage just fine without monetizing slots. 

11 hours ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Not to mention, the "just trade" crowd made their plat before DE changed Trade Chat to Riven-only Trade Chat...

Good luck trading anything other than the once a month Rivens the terrible Sortie drop rates offer up in that disaster of a trading system...

This is the reason my trade chat filters out anything with riven in it. Filtering so only WTB is what I see and nothing including Riven. Makes the chat definitely manageable.

9 hours ago, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

When I compared the stamina bar to the slots, I'm comparing their aspects, like being small, insignificant things that are very annoying in the long run.

Also, DE is a big company that monetizes a lot of things in Warframe. I'm more than sure they can manage just fine without monetizing slots. 

Really? I'm sure they could use an accountant like yourself then. Tell me then how much money they would lose if they took this out of the game? Slots have to be bought even more than potatoes so it must be quite a lot. 

If you don't have time to farm and trade then play a different game. On the other hand sixty dollars on here will  get you more play time than most games. I suppose DE could also just make future story content DLC though... and make it a full price game. God only knows how much more content this game offers then any other full priced game on the market right now (looking at you destiny!).

22 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

When I first started playing Warframe, it became apparent in the first week that there'd be a decision to spend money and fairly soon at that. I was enjoying the game and it was looking like a long term hobby, so I ante'd up and bought platinum. That's called supporting the game. I've gotten far more out of that initial $10-$15 than I have out of many full length AAA games costing $60+. 

Amen. I paid $60 for Destiny 2, and I dearly wish I could get that money converted to plat. Hell, I'd take $30 worth of plat for it. 

10 hours ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

Really? I'm sure they could use an accountant like yourself then. Tell me then how much money they would lose if they took this out of the game? Slots have to be bought even more than potatoes so it must be quite a lot. 

If you don't have time to farm and trade then play a different game. On the other hand sixty dollars on here will  get you more play time than most games. I suppose DE could also just make future story content DLC though... and make it a full price game. God only knows how much more content this game offers then any other full priced game on the market right now (looking at you destiny!).

please do tell me how much money they lose on players trading platinum alone. Sure, the plat must come from somewhere, but for every player that buys plat, theres another that doesnt and makes a hefty amount. 

On 1/26/2018 at 12:14 PM, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

Fellas, I have come to the conclusion that slot purchases are the modern "stamina bars" (remember those?). They're trivial and they're annoying as all hell. They impede new players, who can't make platinum on their own, from expanding their arsenal. And whenever they make a little plat selling their wares, they're forced to buy weapon and warframe slots instead of buying catalysts or reactors, defeating the purpose of rising their weapon's potential. For veterans, they get more annoyed than hopeless for the slots. After hours of grinding and selling, they expect to get rewarded for their effort and buy whatever they want, not forced to spend it on slots. It forces new players to buy $5 worth of plat for a one or two slots. Seriously, the concept in general is stupid. 

On 1/26/2018 at 12:55 PM, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

sure buddy, i get PS Plus for free like every console player. And nothing says fun like using the same small amount of guns over and over again. And with school and work, I'm sure I have all the time in the world to farm and sell. 

I do not have PS Plus on PS4 (It is not needed to play Warframe online)

Using your logic here why would a new player, whom wants to avoid using the same weapons over and over, be buying Orokin Catalysts or Orokin Reactors or even buying slots?

I have alternate accounts that play the game extremely budget friendly:Level and sell.

Only invest in what you want to keep.

Warframe slots are what will need to be purchased if you want more than 2 Warframes to play with at any given time. You can always level and sell a Frame to make room while progressing.

Orokin Catalysts and Reactors are not needed to level a weapon, and DE basically give away Catalyst and Reactor Blueprints on a bi-weekly basis. (I have over 70+ Reactors on my main account and don't see those being depleted before MR30 arrives.)

Weapon slots you get a weapon slot with almost every event, a few Quest weapons, and the promo codes (like: FREESWORD) where you can sell the Weapon s and retain the free slots.

(I upcoming Dex Anniversary weapons)

Requires no trading.

Game has come along way from when starting Plat was wasted on Warframe revives.

(I do wish daily log-in discounts applied to Slot purchases)*

19 hours ago, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

Well let’s do some math. Reb said Warframe has ~20 millions registered players. Going extreme lowball, let’s say 1 million people bought one warframe slot and 1 weapon slot a year.

Still maintaining extreme lowball, every plat purchase involved in that used a 75% off.

The math brings that out to be (1,000,000 Players*(.25*200 Price of plat)*(32 price of slots)/(4600 plat per pack)=~$350k

About half of warframe was bought for $73 million. This leads us to find what would probably be the minimum possible sales from slots to be about 1/4% of warframes profit. 

Going to the lowest standard possible, you might be right.

Being more realistic about it, and still probably lowballing it, let’s use a 60% discount rate, 4 mil players spending an average 200 plat a year, and we get $14 million dollars, which is a little less than 10% of warframes worth, which is not insignificant. 

On 1/28/2018 at 4:27 AM, peterc3 said:

It's annoying to buy groceries or pay rent. Do you feel like DE is getting unfairly rich by asking for something to more fully play their game?

To be fair, buying groceries and paying rent / mortgage is a wee bit more vital...I think a better analogy would be "It's annoying to have to buy extra hangers and drawers for your clothes". That said, while buying weapon and Warframe slots with plat is a bit annoying, it's understandable and not that expensive. I'd also like to think that even the small amounts of plat I've spent have helped make the game a bit better and kept people employed.

FYI, I definitely agree with the point you're making.

I'd certainly take buying extra slots over the steam DLC packs being offered. Those are seriously overpriced noob traps, especially the Sure Footed Pinnacle Pack. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

please do tell me how much money they lose on players trading platinum alone. Sure, the plat must come from somewhere, but for every player that buys plat, theres another that doesnt and makes a hefty amount. 

That doesn't change the fact that all the plat that's available for trade was paid for at some point. Note that plat given out as a prize is not tradeable (IIRC).

Also, you can't trade Plat for real money. If you have a ton of plat that's just sitting around...it's going to waste unless you're saving up for some serious gear.

As a point of reference and to keep things in perspective, 1 plat = $0.15 (U.S. Dollars) excluding discounts and such. So when you're buying new weapon slots...you're spending the equivalent of $1.80 so you can add two more weapons in your inventory. To add another Warfame, that's $3.

On a related note...here's something you should ask yourself...Is x item / feature really worth y amount of plat and z amount of money?

For instance, that Riven you just paid 5000 p for...is it REALLY worth the equivalent of $750?

Edited by MirageKnight
Typos and clarification.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but there's also some ways to get free weapon slots:

-enter the promocode FREESWORD in the market for a Heat Sword which comes with a weapon slot

-Every year you get 3 weapon slots from the Warframe Anniversary

-Broken weapons from Quests

EDIT: MrNishi beat me

Edited by Almighty_Jado

23 hours ago, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

infact, i believe that the warframe and weapon slot play a much more, i mean .. much more important for a free to play game like warframe than you think. It serve some specific purpose and warframe could become chaotic if you simply remove the slot, the limit without another system in it place, serving those purpose:

I'm kinda horrible in expressing what i mean, so i would just put these 2 video here, i i think they should help generating some more ideal cuz i found the perspective from these vids are related and valuable in understanding DE situation, and how it's the most likely that they won't change it.

Edited by FireSegment

Haven't seen anyone mention this (apologies if I overlooked it), but slots serve a very important purpose:

Limiting the storage space of individual accounts on DE servers.

You wanna store more crap, you have to pay for that space.

DE was even considering a max mod capacity where extras were auto-converted to Endo... Glad they didn't go forward with that, but limiting players to 1 copy of each mod and allowing for mods to be shared with Sentinels would be fine by me.

(I realize this would throw a wrench in trading, but that could be addressed with a separate smaller inventory of mods to be traded.)

Only recently started playing and I much prefer this system than paying for something like Destiny 2, then being forced to pay for DLC, then being forced to buy loot boxes.

You'll need to buy a few for sure, but apart from that it's just managing the space you have. I got a 50% discount and bought 10$ of Plat which I've used entirely on slots and am very happy, I'm just starting to run out now (3 weeks later?) but also have enough knowledge to start selling the stuff I don't like to make room for new things.

It's great, and if I was more into trading (at this point I don't really want to spend the time) I can generate my own Plat, slowly sure, but it's not impossible and it would cost nothing.

I'm very against the complete removal of slots. They are partially there to try and keep the database sizes in check, but are also an incentive for the player to drop at least a little money into the game. However, I do feel like the amount of starting slots needs to be increased. They've remained the same since the game launched, and back then Warframe had a tiny fraction of the content it has now. There's so much content now, that new players are getting smacked with what is basically a paywall way too early. Increasing the starting slots to, say 5 frame and 10 weapon slots, would allow players to get further and get more engrossed with the game before a limitation that requires premium currency to overcome is thrown at them. It would make the game overall friendlier to newcomers, and increase player retention.

7 minutes ago, Aesseir said:

Only recently started playing and I much prefer this system than paying for something like Destiny 2, then being forced to pay for DLC, then being forced to buy loot boxes.

You'll need to buy a few for sure, but apart from that it's just managing the space you have. I got a 50% discount and bought 10$ of Plat which I've used entirely on slots and am very happy, I'm just starting to run out now (3 weeks later?) but also have enough knowledge to start selling the stuff I don't like to make room for new things.

It's great, and if I was more into trading (at this point I don't really want to spend the time) I can generate my own Plat, slowly sure, but it's not impossible and it would cost nothing.

10 D O L L A R S  O N  N O T H I N G  B U T  S L O T S.  And you were happy? Oh no, that should not be

6 minutes ago, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

10 D O L L A R S  O N  N O T H I N G  B U T  S L O T S.  And you were happy? Oh no, that should not be

Relax, you're not listening and only focusing on negatives.

Multiple times we've stated the valid and just reason behind the existence of these slots, and additionally, easy ways to get free slots without any plat being involved at all.

If you continue to whine about wanting to get rid of slots because you don't have the patience to farm prime parts, then I'm gonna start assuming you're trolling.

As for Aesseir, he can spend his plat on whatever he wants. There are stupider things you could buy with 10 dollars of plat.

If you don't want to support the further development of the game, then don't do that, but don't turn around and say that you are entitled to anything in return, when you have given nothing.  F2P game developers have every right to put monetization systems like this into their games, that inconvenience those who do not contribute, otherwise why would anyone pay for the game at all?  You cannot run a business on good will alone.

3 minutes ago, polarity said:

If you don't want to support the further development of the game, then don't do that, but don't turn around and say that you are entitled to anything in return, when you have given nothing.  F2P game developers have every right to put monetization systems like this into their games, that inconvenience those who do not contribute, otherwise why would anyone pay for the game at all?  You cannot run a business on good will alone.

but you can run businesses on fair prices that don't prey on new people that don't know the ins and outs on trading 

29 minutes ago, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

but you can run businesses on fair prices that don't prey on new people that don't know the ins and outs on trading 

That's...actually a fair point. It can be argued that new players aren't informed about trading and what can be traded too well.

The thing is that what might be a fair price to one person might be completely unfair to someone else (for whatever reason).

For example, I think paying 12p for a pair of weapon slots is fair and reasonable. On the other hand, I think, for example, that the Prime Access options are horribly overpriced, especially considering that I can buy a single, really good game for the amount of money needed for a blinged-out Warframe with slightly tweaked stats and a pair of weapons and a bit of plat....and I'd still have money left over. But again, someone might disagree with me and say the prices are perfectly reasonable because x reason.

Edited by MirageKnight

On 1/26/2018 at 1:14 PM, (PS4)The_Cool-King1 said:

Fellas, I have come to the conclusion that slot purchases are the modern "stamina bars" (remember those?). They're trivial and they're annoying as all hell. They impede new players, who can't make platinum on their own, from expanding their arsenal. And whenever they make a little plat selling their wares, they're forced to buy weapon and warframe slots instead of buying catalysts or reactors, defeating the purpose of rising their weapon's potential. After hours of grinding and selling, they expect to get rewarded for their effort and buy whatever they want, not forced to spend it on slots. It forces new players to buy $5 worth of plat for a one or two slots. Seriously, the concept in general is stupid. 

Buy a large pack of plat and get all the slots and cool stuff you want while supporting the Devs that make this awesome game.

You'll be happy and everybody wins.

Slots have a variety of purposes and will most likely never be removed from the game for several reasons:

1) Slots limit inventory size. DE seems to have database trouble in general and hoarding tendencies of the playerbase are strong.

2) Slots are a significant plat sink. It's a correct observation that the plat needs to be injected into the system, someone needs to pay. And this is why any trading system in online games needs a currency sink and slots are a VERY significant sink. This is in addition to potatoes, forma and cosmetics of course but more players have stockpiles of potatoes than have huge amount of slots.

3) Like it or not slots do make money by providing impetus for first time customers to make a purchase. And honestly, slots are pretty cheap by conveniency purchase standards of  MMOs and that includes the paywalled ones.

4) Making slots unlimited and free by default now would royally piss off a good amount of people who had to pay for them till now. And providing refunds WOULD hurt DE's bottom line guaranteed. I also shudder to think what this huge plat influx from refunds would do to the economy, it would bloody collapse.

DE did say they considered alternate ways of getting slots though, perhaps through the revamped login rewards system or other means. We'll see.

Edited by LocoWithGun