The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My thoughts on Peculiar Mods

Raspberry

2 minutes ago, rune_me said:

I don't think you should speak for "other" players. I'm sure they have a voice and opinions of their own.

And I think the rest of us will probably survive if you leave the game because a new visual effect bothered you. It'll be rough, but somehow we will manage.

Ah so there is a nice double standard. You can speak for other people...but I can't?
When you claim other people enjoy these kind of things and will use them you base yourself on what other people have said to you or on these fora. And so do I. 

It wasn't a threat. It was a simple statement. If I stop linking the game for whatever reason I will shelf the game.

And rest assured...your continued survival would not affect that decision one single bit...one way or the other.

1 minute ago, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

The problem is that you have a very different interpretation of what is and what isn't cartoony. 

So I will repeat again: wings, hats, fake mustaches are accessories that exist within reality. Stars around people's heads do not exist within reality.

The stars you mistakenly refer to as "being the same" is you confusing game play indicators with actually visuals inside the world.  

Your argument that "it's reality" is very contradicting to the entirety of the Warframe lore. Because children shooting space magic, warframes bending time, controlling anti matter, hopping between dimensions, playing music that kills, dogs laying eggs, women possessing children's bodies, people living hundreds if not thousands of years, creating radiation by combining fire and electricity, weapons firing exploding goo....oh my God I can list forever! It's all reality, right? 

10 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Which is why I added the edit.

I was referring to you saying a lot of other people will use it. Which you didn't edit. And still makes you a hypocrite. 

10 minutes ago, FashionFrame said:

Your argument that "it's reality" is very contradicting to the entirety of the Warframe lore. Because children shooting space magic, warframes bending time, controlling anti matter, hopping between dimensions, playing music that kills, dogs laying eggs, women possessing children's bodies, people living hundreds if not thousands of years, creating radiation by combining fire and electricity, weapons firing exploding goo....oh my God I can list forever! It's all reality, right? 

Not really. But you seem to have a lot of difficulty separating the game's set up, suspension of disbelieve and when a given reality is stretched so far it wanders off into the realm of caricature and cartoons. 

Fyi...you really should do some reading into how sound can in fact kill people.  Above 185-200 decibel is a lethal threshold. And 20khz sound waves can cause serious tissue damage. 

Edited by (PS4)BOSS_TPH76

2 minutes ago, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

I was referring to you saying a lot of other people will use it. Which you didn't edit. And still makes you a hypocrite. 

Not really. But you seem to have a lot of difficulty separating the game's set up, suspension of disbelieve and when a given reality is stretched so far it wanders off into the realm of caricature and cartoons. 

Fyi...you really should do some reading into how sound can in fact kill people.  

And your definition of what's cartoony and not is very mild and not even seeing the bigger picture. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

Not at all. I didn't edit it because I was basing that on what people commenting in this thread was saying. Judging by posts saying they will like these mods and the great number of upvotes some of these has received, I do indeed believe a lot of people will use them. A lot of people also obviously dislike them, which is fine. But so far, you are the only one saying you are willing to leave the game because of them. 

Just now, rune_me said:

Not at all. I didn't edit it because I was basing that on what people commenting in this thread was saying. Judging by posts saying they will like these mods and the great number of upvotes some of these has received, I do indeed believe a lot of people will use them. A lot of people also obviously dislike them, which is fine. But so far, you are the only one saying you are willing to leave the game because of them. 

No...I am not the only one. Just the only one you have encountered. There are however people over on reddit. And people I play with who have expressed this exact sentiment. And yes...I indeed said that I will leave the game if it bothers me too much.   

Just now, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

No...I am not the only one. Just the only one you have encountered. There are however people over on reddit. And people I play with who have expressed this exact sentiment. And yes...I indeed said that I will leave the game if it bothers me too much.   

Except it seems the people against the mods are currently outnumbered by people who don't mind the cosmetics behind them. I honestly see more complaints that people have to use them as mods instead of just cosmetics themselves. That clearly goes to show people actually want to have stars over enemies heads, or flowers growing on crits. DE sees this, the event and these mods are coming out next week. I guess we can rest assure you're be shelving the game in the next few days? Because DE seems more than competent to bring these to the table.

2 minutes ago, FashionFrame said:

And your definition of what's cartoony and not is very mild and not even seeing the bigger picture. 

It isn't really mild. It means "like a cartoon"....which in turn means mocking reality. Not many of the things you mentioned are like a cartoon. Although the candy cane skin is a good example. 

So when it comes to seeing the bigger picture...like I said...you seem to be unable to distinguish between the set up and when that set up becomes mockery.  

1 minute ago, FashionFrame said:

Except it seems the people against the mods are currently outnumbered by people who don't mind the cosmetics behind them. I honestly see more complaints that people have to use them as mods instead of just cosmetics themselves. That clearly goes to show people actually want to have stars over enemies heads, or flowers growing on crits. DE sees this, the event and these mods are coming out next week. I guess we can rest assure you're be shelving the game in the next few days? Because DE seems more than competent to bring these to the table.

Have I ever in any way shape or form disputed any of this? So I really do not see the point of you mentioning this. But it would be a good thing to realize that just because people want something that doesn't mean that thing is good or beneficial. 

And yes...if that means I get confronted by this BS enough I will indeed shelf the game. 

Just now, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

It isn't really mild. It means "like a cartoon"....which in turn means mocking reality. Not many of the things you mentioned are like a cartoon. Although the candy cane skin is a good example. 

So when it comes to seeing the bigger picture...like I said...you seem to be unable to distinguish between the set up and when that set up becomes mockery.  

And yet again, the mods, the way you color the warframes, the cosmetics and weapons you use are all options. If you really are going to quit the game because of these mods, because you can't stand people in game using something they find fun, then be our guest. The fact you can't see something that you'd consider "childish" makes you rage quit is petty.

9 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Have you ever used a loadout that wasn't completely optimal? Delete you account, then. Whoever you imposed your suboptimal trash on were probably highly inconvenienced and you really owe them something for wasting their time.

Fun... how awful is that???

this bait though...

Seriously, it looks fun, but it doesn't even fit. This so called "for the veterans" game mode is about as accurate as a baza with heavy cal; it completely missed the mark. Little to none of the rewards cater to the audience they refer to, whether it be focus or purely cosmetic (read FPS dropping) mods.

I'm not here to say that veterans are here to have the best builds, or the best stuff, but I am here to say this isn't content that anyone asked for, there's no demand for this, and its scary.

Its horrifying to think that they will create a game mode that's all about "wacky" and cater to only fashion frame. We half joke that fashion is end game, but none of us want it to be the only end game, this game mode was supposed to solve that. Not because I hate fashion, but because dev hours was spent on this, and no veteran is going to farm extensively for mods that we literally do not have space for.

I'm sure this will change, but OP is right, its heartbreaking to see that this is their solution, that this is the first step to Warframe's "endgame"

I also see no reason why people are white-knighting all over this forum, again, we can disagree, but asking people to delete their accounts because we don't share the same ideas and values? Maybe best not to post if you're not gonna be civilized?

2 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I think making it a regular mod also serves the purpose of keeping the effect rare. It'll be niche among OP showoffs that aren't min/maxers. 

I hope they aren't tradable. 

So do I. If people want to brag they're skilled enough as to sacrifice mod space for dumb stupid fun, then have them earn the right to do so by being unable to get them from someone else. 

Hopefully there will be melee peculiars for me to use. I already teabag Grineer and dance in the middle of Hydron, so I'm all in with these mods. 

47 minutes ago, FashionFrame said:

And yet again, the mods, the way you color the warframes, the cosmetics and weapons you use are all options. If you really are going to quit the game because of these mods, because you can't stand people in game using something they find fun, then be our guest. The fact you can't see something that you'd consider "childish" makes you rage quit is petty.

This is a perfect example why you should read what somebody posted before barging in half way through a discussion. I have already addressed this at the start of this...but let me reiterate it yet again. 

The colors, cosmetics and weapons are all affecting your Warframe and do not affect the wider game world. Ironically; DE, until very recently, stated that some cosmetics would not be added to the game or would remain a very temporary thing because they do not fit into the tone of the game and would negatively affect immersion. I do see that differently. If you want to dress up like a clown, don a purple wig that is you. It affects you...it represents who you are in this game world. It does not however affect or reflect that game world itself....just you running in it. 

These mods do however affect the wider game world...and most important of all...they affect and alter the way in which other people get to experience that game world...whether they want it or not. 

So this isn't just about people using things they find fun...it is about people using things that forces others to participate in a game altering way. And I certainly do not think these mods are fun and do think that they will negatively affect how I, and others, experience the game....and I do not want to be forced into that because this goes a little further than annoying play styles or strategies. 

Now I do not think these mods should be in the game at all because more so than those hats and mustaches DE is so very concerned about they do actually affect the reality of the game world and the way people experience it. But I am however not opposed to you having your fun. Just as long as I do not have to share it. If they were designed as a personal experience enhancer or if there was a slider that allowed me to opt out of your bad taste silly visual clutter I wouldn't give a sh*t  about any of this. Have all the farts, tweety birds, flower sprouting enemies and bs you want. But this isn't the case. 

I don't know how you live your life...but personally...when something stops being fun for me and I am not forced to continue doing it...I will stop doing it. And when this becomes a big enough problem (something I said but you and Rune seem to conveniently overlook) I will indeed stop playing the game...this isn't a threat or petty. It is common sense. The fact that you find that petty is telling how you prioritize your fun over the fun of other people and apparently fully expect people to continue doing things they no longer like doing.  

I just feel insulted by these mods and by people that feel the need to defend them. I have been playing this game for close to 5 years and dropped a good amount of money in it and this is supposed to be the sort of content that they make for veterans?

I've played and grinded thousands of hours to have the best possible builds, because that's fun, and now I'm supposed to make my builds worse to show off some wacky effects? Then what did I invest all this time into? Not only do I not see the point, I also don't even want to show anything off to new players, it feels insulting. And these mods will most likely be rather easily acquired and tradeable, so they will not even be good at showing any sort of veterancy, which is apparently their main purpose.

What I want is some sort of engaging challenge, which fighting the same enemies, in the same tileset, maybe with the same lame modifiers we already have in sorties is not going to be. The "meta" of this completely unchallenging mode will be slide-macroing through enemies while invisible/invincible again, and the unique reward for doing that will be, literally, a joke.

I have no idea who came up with this idea but they seem totally disconnected from the actual players.

19 minutes ago, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

The colors, cosmetics and weapons are all affecting your Warframe and do not affect the wider game world. Ironically; DE, until very recently, stated that some cosmetics would not be added to the game or would remain a very temporary thing because they do not fit into the tone of the game and would negatively affect immersion. I do see that differently. If you want to dress up like a clown, don a purple wig that is you. It affects you...it represents who you are in this game world. It does not however affect or reflect that game world itself....just you running in it. 

Can't this literally be said with the mods, since it's just cosmetically affecting what you're shooting, and it's an option that YOU choose to use?

These mods do however affect the wider game world...and most important of all...they affect and alter the way in which other people get to experience that game world...whether they want it or not.

Because it seems from what has been shown, just cosmetics, only it's affecting your weapons and enemies in a grander scale. I choose to wear rainbows and be bright and beautiful, and if people don't like it, they laugh and poke fun at it. The mods seem to be just the same thing, it's just cosmetics, that will hinder your mod capabilities for some funky looks.

So this isn't just about people using things they find fun...it is about people using things that forces others to participate in a game altering way. And I certainly do not think these mods are fun and do think that they will negatively affect how I, and others, experience the game....and I do not want to be forced into that because this goes a little further than annoying play styles or strategies. 

So a few sprinkles and effects on a warframe is affecting how you play when put onto an enemy, when they're literally just cosmetics that spread to other enemies. But you're fine with people wearing and dressing up in bright outfits, have blinding colors spraying everywhere, and wearing silly skins, weapons and warframes. Seems contradictory again.

I don't know how you live your life...but personally...when something stops being fun for me and I am not forced to continue doing it...I will stop doing it. And when this becomes a big enough problem (something I said but you and Rune seem to conveniently overlook) I will indeed stop playing the game...this isn't a threat or petty. It is common sense. The fact that you find that petty is telling how you prioritize your fun over the fun of other people and apparently fully expect people to continue doing things they no longer like doing.  

I guess DE is also prioritizing our fun as well. If you have to quit, again, no one is stopping you. The mod is of little importance, it's so trivial that we literally can't grasp how you could quit over it, but well, it is opinion, just a very small, minority of an opinion. Since it isn't too big of an issue for the majority of players, DE won't be changing this. But we won't be looking back if players like you quit.

Edited by FashionFrame

I suppose I'm in a middle-ground sort of stance with mods like these.  The best place to start out it simply this;

• I may use each Peculiar mod once, just for the sake of it.  Then they'll go into permanent cold storage alongside Squab, my Helminth Charger.

Personally speaking I see no real value or relevance to them as an idea.  However I don't hate the idea either, at least not in some major way.  We already have the way to, if we so desire, handicap our power by not filling a build or using worthlessly bad mods, or even by using Dragon Keys just for the heck of it.  It was alluded to that these mods will have a higher capacity drain.  This means we may have to ruin a weapon's build with an additional and unwanted polarity just to slot them.  So it's an extra tier of work beyond the existing handicap options we can use now.

I also can't help but feel that these peculiar mods are a stark contradiction in the game.

We were given the excuse of not being allowed to keep the old Moustaches, Bunny Ears, and other silly and unfitting cosmetics because they don't fit into Warframe as a game.  And while I enjoyed wearing some of those silly cosmetics, I can and did respect that decision from an artistic perspective.  Folks have a vision for their game, and I think it's fair to have certain expectations about tone.  But Peculiar mods are the exact same tier of silliness as these old cosmetics that we aren't allowed to keep.

If we're going down this road of Peculiar mods, why not also throw some of those old silly cosmetic options back into Warframe too?  It's equally as nonsensical and unimportant to the game's progression to let use look silly again and forever if we so desire.  So why not?  I'd enjoy having a nice lip sweater on Harrow as a nice little badge of silliness from a foray into the Sanctuary Onslaught mode.

I want the challenge of higher level enemies. More level 80+ missions and content. Not just the 3 sorties and an occasional Kuva Flood. I would also love more Corrupted Mods for the Warframes. More positive and negative combinations. Perhaps someday, all the combinations! Negative Power Strength & Positive Duration for example and so on.

I want the challenge of higher level enemies. More level 80+ missions and content. Not just the 3 sorties and an occasional Kuva Flood. I would also love more Corrupted Mods for the Warframes. More positive and negative combinations. Perhaps someday, all the combinations! Negative Power Strength & Positive Duration for example and so on.

Also yes, make Sythes bigger! Grim Reaper big! Have them be able to use both stances, heavy blade and scythe stances.