The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hunter Munitions vs Vigilante Armaments.

Wolfven

Question

19 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Wolfven said:

Hello all,

Just wanted to find out which to use if you are unable to put both on a weapon?

Does RoF factor into the decision?

Thank you.

Yeah you can put both on a weapon but depending on what weapon it is you might want something else besides munitions....but the mod is great overall and I usually run both on most of my builds

I would say Hunter Munitions if weapons is 75%+ Crit but there is no better build .. And In my case when I use Hunter Munitions, most of the time I will use Viral or corrosive with it depending of how fast the weapons fire (or strip armor) 

If the weapon can get 100% crit or near then Hunter's Munitions is often used.

If the weapon is between 20-50% crit then it depends on a Crit multiplier, Status Triggers and Slash Weight. If can also depend if you're using Viral or Corrosive. I've not found much room for Vigilante Armaments outside pure physical builds which only a few guns can manage. Primed Bane is just about always better and shotguns either go 100% status or 100% Crit.

RoF can influence consistency but doesn't directly interact with either mod's performance.

Edited by Xzorn

it's extremely dependent on the Stats of the Weapon.

what the Crit probability across any/all Projectiles is, how well it can natively apply Status(and if it can apply Slash), the Mods you already have Equipped (as to whether the 60% Multi-Shot is a significant amount on top of what you have or not), the effective Rate of Fire, how Accurate it generally is (how well it can get Headshot Multipliers)...

there's many factors involved.

Also, some frames can further abuse these two mods to...hilarious ends depending on the weapon. Saryn's passive increases status duration by 25%. Alongside a Hunter's Munitions she can cause extra bleed procs to go off, which is useful for higher level targets. Or, should you manage to have gotten a shotgun riven that boosts status chance to 100% BEFORE multishot, Vigilante Armaments will provide a nasty bonus to how many pellets there are to proc an effect.

Personally, I dont run Hunter's munitions except on a two builds. My Lenz, because I have a riven that boosts critical damage. And my Lanka, paired specifically with Mag. Throw up a bubble, shoot in and watch as the Lanka's stupid high innate punch through rips through targets like they are butter. For higher level targets this works wonder, if the multiple crits wont kill them, the bleed procs will.

As always, it never hurts to run tests in the simulacrum. Thats how I came across the Mag/Lanka combo mentioned above. Swap mods, and see what performs better.

Depends.

Does the weapon have a solid status chance, high slash weight and decent crit?  Then vigilante.

Does the weapon have high damage/crit with low/no slash weight? Then Hunter.

I actually don't use Hunter that much, primarily on weapons that don't have slash damage at all like lenz and arca plasmor

1 hour ago, (PS4)CannaWhoopazz13 said:

Honestly, here's how I look at it: will the enemy live long enough for the bleed proc to matter?  If they're dying in a second or two and you have a slow fire rate, then how much damage will the bleed ticks do??  

The Bleed ticks can actually do quite a bit as the status procs scale off of the initial damage.  So when you get a crit that triggers Hunter's, it will scale off of the crit damage done to calculate the bleed damage.

This is why a frame like Ivara with Prowl's headshot bonus can get massive bleed procs.  Ash should be able to do the same because of his passive.  

Edited by DatDarkOne

9 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

The Bleed ticks can actually do quite a bit as the status procs scale off of the initial damage.  So when you get a crit that triggers Hunter's, it will scale off of the crit damage done to calculate the bleed damage.

This is why a frame like Ivara with Prowl's headshot bonus can get massive bleed procs.  Ash should be able to do the same because of his passive.  

Right, and that matters if you pump a bunch of shots in, but not if the enemies die in 2-3 shots anyway.  Sure you'll get 1 or 2 procs, but that's a small change in damage.  I put HM on my high crit autos like Soma, but not on my Latron Prime.  I'd rather have the 60% multi-shot than 30% chance at bleed on a slow-firing gun, granted that I'm killing them in a few shots.  

11 hours ago, (PS4)CannaWhoopazz13 said:

Honestly, here's how I look at it: will the enemy live long enough for the bleed proc to matter?  If they're dying in a second or two and you have a slow fire rate, then how much damage will the bleed ticks do??  

Yeah, I'm a shoot them 'til they die kinda guy rather than stand and watch them bleed.

I haven't found much use of Hunter's myself but then I don't play a great deal of high level content. I appreciate that with large health pools the slash procs can be great and getting that slash proc from any status type is insane but that ain't how I roll much.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)CannaWhoopazz13 said:

Right, and that matters if you pump a bunch of shots in, but not if the enemies die in 2-3 shots anyway.  Sure you'll get 1 or 2 procs, but that's a small change in damage.  I put HM on my high crit autos like Soma, but not on my Latron Prime.  I'd rather have the 60% multi-shot than 30% chance at bleed on a slow-firing gun, granted that I'm killing them in a few shots.  

I was just commenting on bleed procs in general.  Not the the reliability of Hunter's 30%.  :smile:

On 4/17/2018 at 9:53 PM, (PS4)CannaWhoopazz13 said:

I'm not putting it on a sniper! 

Which I think is a mistake, try shooting at something high level with a lot of armor. Snipers are bad at removing armor because of their low rate of fire, so corrosive isn't going to help you much with its procs and you can end up not killing the target before reload, but Hunter Munitions makes all the difference in the world (like 20k+ ticks ignoring armor) and works well on snipers because of high crit chance, especially if you got a Riven boosting crit stats. 

4 minutes ago, DarthKadra said:

Which I think is a mistake, try shooting at something high level with a lot of armor. Snipers are bad at removing armor because of their low rate of fire, so corrosive isn't going to help you much with its procs and you can end up not killing the target before reload, but Hunter Munitions makes all the difference in the world (like 20k+ ticks ignoring armor) and works well on snipers because of high crit chance, especially if you got a Riven boosting crit stats. 

Yes, things change when you go against ultra-high level Grineer.  But up to level 100 (which is all I care about) enemies are dying in 1-2 head shots from my sniper, so I'm not going to waste a mod slot for HM which will make them die in 1 shot if I wait for 2 bleed ticks, if it gets applied.  All bets are off when you're fighting level 200 Grineer.  Even with Armor Augmentation in a lvl3 Sortie defense, I'd rather take a corrosive Pox to strip all the armor off.