Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

These long build timers have to be trimmed down

LtZefar

@LtZefar  Thinking you need to teach your friend about the game a little better.   For a new player there is a myriad amount of content to be doing while items are being made.   And more importantly, while multiple items are being made.   As no mention of exactly how new your friend is made that I noticed, going to go with very new.

Buy and level MK1 gear.   Clear star chart.   Run quests.  Collect resources to buy bp's and build items from the market.  Collect parts for other frames and weapons that are on the star chart.   Join clan.   Collect resources to build the assorted clan tech.  Run for relics.   Run for primes.  Plan ahead for future resource needs, items like Nitain, Alad V Keys etc.   I can go on.   It boils down to just play the game while stuff is building.  

Just sitting and waiting on something to be built...   why when there is  so much to do?

@LtZefar

There are two big reasons for keeping the long crafting times, and both are very advantageous to DE.

First is that impatient people will rush and buy plat, spending more money on the game by acting as a plat sink that takes plat out of the economy.  I know tons of people who just pay instead of waiting.

Second is even more important: it helps make Warframe part of your daily routine.  This is incredibly important in F2P games like WF.  By having the game go "The item you're building will be ready tomorrow" or  in 3 days gives the player something to look forwards to.  It gives the player something to think about and go "Oh I have to sign into Warframe today, I have a new weapon/frame that I can play with!" which keeps the game fresh in their mind.
This helps to embed Warframe into your daily routine as a new player gets used to "Oh, I need to check in on everything..." even when they don't have anything building because its become routine.  And the thing about people is that once something becomes part of the daily routine it can be hard for that to be pushed out.  This means that players are more likely to return day after day after day after day and play the game.
Along with this there is a sizable amount of people I've played with that "Just signed on to collect my foundry items and saw this alert..." and they ended up playing the game for about an hour.
Having a high population of returning customers is needed for a game like Warframe to survive.  And the times have been proven over and over again (in various games across multiple media) to actually increase the number of returning players.

I don't see DE getting rid of the timers for that reason alone.  Without the timers giving something for a player to constantly look forwards to "The next day..." when they are new players it would be much harder for Warframe to become part of their daily routine, and therefore actually stand to have less recurrent players.

So please tell me: Why would DE give up something that helps in keeping their player count high?

Personally I'm fine with the timers tho I fully admit early on I sometimes got the feeling that DE didn't want me to be playing their game. Cause when you are first starting the roadblock is real, once you get a few "decent" weapons and at least a frame or two that you really like it stops really feeling outright oppressive.

That said I really don't see any way they could change it in a way that would make it feel less overbearing for new accounts that wouldn't outright make it a 300% non issue for anyone who's been playing for more than a month. 

I suppose they could give new accounts a few "rush passes" that wouldn't outright be "plat" but would each let them rush one item for "free" but in a way that kinda sorta exists with the M1 weapons as those all come pre-built. Say like 3 Rush Passes per new account or something like that? 

Cause they can't really cut back the timers as impatient rushing is one of their only consistent/persistent plat sinks. 

8 hours ago, LtZefar said:

It is. You meet a massive amount of people at the Cetus and other places. 

that does not make warframe an MMORPG, as there i something near 0 to rpg and 8 player 4 player max per mission. LUL

If, as a new player, you feel like you are always waiting on something, you are doing it wrong.

A new player has hundreds of things they can build - and at every chance they get they should be acquiring bp's and starting the build on something.  If you are less than MR18 and don't have 6-10 things currently building (not counting 1minute disposables but weapons/frames/etc) you done screwed up.

And if you didn't screw up, you will always have something you can claim which you started 12-24 hours prior, which while you work on that, you build more stuff.

If you don't have the credits to buy every bp in the market (and you need two of many things to make their AK variant or whatever) then its time for a quick trip to the index.

There is no excuse to feel like you are constantly waiting because as a new player you should always have plenty to do.

9 hours ago, Kyryo said:

you can farm packs per missions with a nekros in the right place. LOL

So? what difference does it make?  Every wonder why they did it?  
Now after 3 years DE made you force to use a farming frame just to stay on par with increase building requirements.  
What will you do in upcoming years when DE increases it to 20 to 25 Per Prime items?  
Cryotic,cetus wips,Pains of Openword resources cant even be increased by nekros.  You need to buy a booster with plats to increase them.  
Now don't say that you can farm 100+cetus wips in one night.  At best you can do is 1 per 2 minute.  

6 minutes ago, RainMarvel said:

Now don't say that you can farm 100+cetus wips in one night.  At best you can do is 1 per 2 minute.  

Sorry but you're amount of "1 per 2 minutes" is wrong, and in fact it is possible to get 100 in a single night period if you practice enough.

This reddit thread goes into more info about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/8a984d/advice_do_not_waste_your_time_farming_plague_star/

So no booster required to get large amounts of wisps quickly.

12 minutes ago, RainMarvel said:

Now after 3 years DE made you force to use a farming frame just to stay on par with increase building requirements.  

Not really.
I rarely play with a Nekros and its not that hard to get resources, especially because of how quickly you can stockpile resources between new releases.
And sure, its a bit daunting for a new player but they don't require a farming frame either.

I've made new accounts and taken them pretty far and never once had to resort to a farming frame to get the resources needed.  There are more than enough farming nodes to go to that its not that hard to get any resources you need.

1 hour ago, Tsukinoki said:

Sorry but you're amount of "1 per 2 minutes" is wrong, and in fact it is possible to get 100 in a single night period if you practice enough.

This reddit thread goes into more info about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/8a984d/advice_do_not_waste_your_time_farming_plague_star/

Did that guy give any proof of getting 100 in 1hr? having someone speak something in a video doesn't make it true.  

1 hour ago, Tsukinoki said:

Not really.
I rarely play with a Nekros and its not that hard to get resources, especially because of how quickly you can stockpile resources between new releases.
And sure, its a bit daunting for a new player but they don't require a farming frame either.

I've made new accounts and taken them pretty far and never once had to resort to a farming frame to get the resources needed.  There are more than enough farming nodes to go to that its not that hard to get any resources you need.

You didnt face problem because you are not a new player. A new player learns things in new account. You already came learning it. Comparing your smurf experience to a new player is pointless to even at a face value.  A game such complex as warframe has a steep learning curve. A new player does not even know that you can join higher MR players to farm resources that you have not unlocked yet.  You cam learning all this from start. You cam learning how important vacume is on your taxon.  
This all small details makes all difference.  
Also by the time you actually get good enough /learn enough to farm them you already have 50% of the thing in the game a crafted.  
You know whats absurd? 
My main complain is that DE has been increasing crafting requirements year after year thus adding more CRAFTING time to already standards of 1hr/3hr/12hrs/3days.  
Every 200 cryo is an added 6 min.  
Every Nitain extract is an added half a day to 1day.
Every 1k Oxium is another added 20min.  
You cant even argue that you can farm resources effectively with a good build, These items are time locked. There is a hard cap on how much you can get in a given span of time. 
200 cryo per dig is fixed,Nitain extracts are alert rewards which comes 4 times a day.  There are only a fixed amount of Orange ospreys that will spawn at a given time.   
They even added argon crystals which You will have to farm because you cant stock them.
If this is not added time to Already crafting time then I have no words to speak.  

This all is on top of increasingly common and other rare resources required.  Prime weapons and frame used to require 1 to 5 orokin cells. Now 10 to 15 is the standard. By next year it will be 15 to 20 on top of Venus resources being added his year.  

Edited by RainMarvel

2 hours ago, RainMarvel said:

Did that guy give any proof of getting 100 in 1hr? having someone speak something in a video doesn't make it true.  

You didnt face problem because you are not a new player. A new player learns things in new account. You already came learning it. Comparing your smurf experience to a new player is pointless to even at a face value.  A game such complex as warframe has a steep learning curve. A new player does not even know that you can join higher MR players to farm resources that you have not unlocked yet.  You cam learning all this from start. You cam learning how important vacume is on your taxon.  
This all small details makes all difference.  
Also by the time you actually get good enough /learn enough to farm them you already have 50% of the thing in the game a crafted.  
You know whats absurd? 
My main complain is that DE has been increasing crafting requirements year after year thus adding more CRAFTING time to already standards of 1hr/3hr/12hrs/3days.  
Every 200 cryo is an added 6 min.  
Every Nitain extract is an added half a day to 1day.
Every 1k Oxium is another added 20min.  
You cant even argue that you can farm resources effectively with a good build, These items are time locked. There is a hard cap on how much you can get in a given span of time. 
200 cryo per dig is fixed,Nitain extracts are alert rewards which comes 4 times a day.  There are only a fixed amount of Orange ospreys that will spawn at a given time.   
They even added argon crystals which You will have to farm because you cant stock them.
If this is not added time to Already crafting time then I have no words to speak.  

This all is on top of increasingly common and other rare resources required.  Prime weapons and frame used to require 1 to 5 orokin cells. Now 10 to 15 is the standard. By next year it will be 15 to 20 on top of Venus resources being added his year.  

You need to figure out the game progression don't just try to craft everything in sight. Get only weapons and frames you want to use, then explicitly farm for prime gear you want the most. You need mods for primary and melee weapons dont invest in secondary weapon mods. For new players high fire rate weapons are nice and easy.

After that its free roll, play and get whatever you please.

Well anyways figure out the game, and if you need help to farm specific resource, join a clan that requires you to have like mr 5 or so and ask for help there. Try joining large clans, there are more active people there.

I personally progressed solo, didn't want other people to tell me how to do everything. Check the wiki, ask only specific farm questions. This way I avoided the xp farm that some new players get into because some veterans drag them into it. MR 24 and didnt farm draco or hydron. I think there was another xp spot in Eris but I dont rember how its called.

39 minutes ago, MadGrekon said:

You need to figure out the game progression don't just try to craft everything in sight. Get only weapons and frames you want to use, then explicitly farm for prime gear you want the most. You need mods for primary and melee weapons dont invest in secondary weapon mods. For new players high fire rate weapons are nice and easy.

Its not craft everything is sight but I will have to craft it one day or the other because they are requirements for getting higher MR. Higher MR give access to more weapons and quest.  
Sure its a f2p game you need to wait but waiting for waiting for waiting. That's 3 layers of waiting for each nitian extract build is beyond this world.  
DE locking behind even farming to some kind of cap is no better than that bunjie is doing in Destiny 2

3 minutes ago, RainMarvel said:

Its not craft everything is sight but I will have to craft it one day or the other because they are requirements for getting higher MR. Higher MR give access to more weapons and quest.  
Sure its a f2p game you need to wait but waiting for waiting for waiting. That's 3 layers of waiting for each nitian extract build is beyond this world.  
DE locking behind even farming to some kind of cap is no better than that bunjie is doing in Destiny 2

I mean don't burn yourself out by trying to craft everything just because you can, get good gear and then you can farm more efficiently, also you farm prime parts and resources at the same time you know. 

As for nitain, well I got nothing. I won't defend it but I also haven''t found it to be a problem, but I am a patient person. dunno. If you plan to play this game for long, then just wait for nitain to appear, don't try to force it.

Because at the time I didn't know that farming boss fights eventually led to dropping all of a frame's parts, I as a noob had actually played as Volt for probably my first 10 days in a row. By the time I was building Nyx (from fighting enough Phorids by chance), I was so excited to try her out as she was materializing in my Foundry. I had felt the same when I gathered all of Equinox's parts, wondering how a frame could be worth waiting an entire WEEK for. Let me tell you, she was worth the week-long wait.

F2P or not, there are more than enough other things to do while a new frame is building. I'm fine with the current Foundry build times, although it is a little painful to see the 24 hour build time for Forma.

Edited by Raspberry
added forma comment

13 hours ago, RainMarvel said:

Now don't say that you can farm 100+cetus wips in one night.  At best you can do is 1 per 2 minute

There are 4 wisp per map load, so with a max range nova you can teleport on their spawns (as they are not random) and check if they are there. 

bam, 50 wisps in 1 hour

What will you do in upcoming years when DE increases it to 20 to 25 Per Prime items? 

I still take nekros with a Kohm , as i did in the past years. See no problem here.

Now after 3 years DE made you force to use a farming frame just to stay on par with increase building requirements. You need to buy a booster with plats to increase them.

Warframe is a F2P, they need to get some money to not die in someway. Deal with it, otherwise the door is over there, and is not locked.

11 hours ago, Kyryo said:

Warframe is a F2P, they need to get some money to not die in someway. Deal with it, otherwise the door is over there, and is not locked.

Would have agreed if you were able to buy resources like argon and nitain extracts. But you dont. They are simply added to increase build time nothing else.  
Every 3 month there prime acces pack which is price same as a full game reaches steam top seller charts anyway that's like selling a hit game every 3 months. What they are doing with other resources is no less than over monetization.   

18 hours ago, RainMarvel said:

Would have agreed if you were able to buy resources like argon and nitain extracts. But you dont. They are simply added to increase build time nothing else.  
Every 3 month there prime acces pack which is price same as a full game reaches steam top seller charts anyway that's like selling a hit game every 3 months. What they are doing with other resources is no less than over monetization.   

Prime access is discounted premium currency with the added benefit of including the new prime warframe and weapons. The prime weapons and Warframe are 100% farmable in game without having to pay a dime. You're looking at options like they're limitations lmfao.

Please just look up any of the f2p playthroughs of warframe and you'll see that it's insanely easy to not only survive as f2p, you can thrive. Hell, you can even farm Platinum and live like you've paid tons! 

In any case, build timers are not an issue.

1 hour ago, (PS4)fullblast35 said:

Trimming down timer based on mastery is an idea.,  MR would have a little meaning, just a little.

Also encourages even more aggressive addictive play patterns and puts more pressure on players to land on places like Hydron to power level gear for MR which is probably not a great or attractive idea.

-----------------------

TBH, weapon and warframe build timers are fine. If you don't have anything to do after you start the build process for them, it's okay to just log off and play something else. Do something else. You don't need to eat/sleep/breathe the game 24/7.

Less okay are the build timers for things like Radiant Sentrium and the like, mostly on account of the unnecessary fiddlyness of them than the time it takes to build them. Would be nice to just set how many I want to build and have the foundry take that into account and just start building, even if it scaled up to hours. :|