Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wisps aren't fun

Drasiel

On 2018-05-22 at 8:18 AM, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

Itzal... Try it

Itzal would be faster than Zephyr but does it have loot radar? With Animal Instinct and Thief's wit you get good loot radar for Zephyr, then just max efficiency, 170 duration or more or as much as you can if you can't get 170 with max efficiency, flow and go to plains. Only use 1st ability mid-air because it costs less then.

Circle the lake and every pond with 1 fast, wisps spawn on the edge of water at beachline. Keep your eye on loot radar because wisps show there as lootables. Do this at weekend when you have time to spend some nights in plains since wisps spawn more at night. The night starts exactly when there's 50 minutes left on bounties so check Konzu and calculate time. Buy resource booster, not the drop chance one.

Results with booster, 6-10 or some rare times 12 wisps, per one 3-4,5 minute run. 10 runs a night means 60-100 wisps a single night! 3 nights is 5 hours in game and you can take breaks in-between. Considering you need only 3-4 Cetus nights like this, which equals around 3 hours of wisp farming for all your personal wisp needs including one Zaw arcane, it's not that unreasonable grind.

And wisp farming is hard? Try oxium. Or kuva. Or mutagen samples for Hema. Or certain pigments, like condroc ones. Those make you run around pointlessly. You can't speak about wisp farm the same day if you do it like stated above.

I'm all for making wisps tradeable so I can get some easy platinum. Though that's not necessary since you can already buy Zaw arcanes from market, as well as operator and amp arcanes. So only amps, and anyone who read the above can go and do it by themselves and buy the arcanes from market if it's still too hard to farm them. And to people who say running in circles, yes I read half the thread to find out those who complain say that as if running and going in circles was the fastest way. Just take a bloody Zephyr or Nova or archwing.

WHY RUN LAPS WHEN YOU CAN FLY ZIGZAG, WITH LOOT RADAR? To every single pond, not just one lake.

And finally to the point that it's tedious and not good because you can't kill anything... why not try to enjoy it a little? It's a change to the killing theme. A change you dont have to spend that much time on unless you consider 3-6 hours a lot. Which is not a lot on warframe scale. Lot of people have a lot of hours to spend, we're talking 500+ hours easily. It's as if you dont get that this is a game where you have to spend a lot of hours to become something, even more hours if you dont use boosters. Now you know. Pigments, hema, oxium, to be able to complete riven challenges, kuva, hydrolyst 3x4 or more setup, focus. Welcome to warframe.

Edited by BoarWarrior

8 hours ago, Enforcer67 said:

OK, this is my first 'complaint' for Warframe. Yes, I know it's a grindy game, but this is absolutely ridiculous. First why do we need bugs to build amps? Secondly, and this is my problem, not DE's, but I have poor vision and finding this little freaks is next to impossible. PLEASE reduce the requirements, or in crease spawn rate, or bounty reward chance. Make them easier to see. Please!

Use loot radar and just run around the place if its not an iradite, maprico or container. You should see those well enough, or if not, then this game may be visually too challenging for you. Sorry.

2 hours ago, BoarWarrior said:

Itzal would be faster than Zephyr but does it have loot radar? With Animal Instinct and Thief's wit you get good loot radar for Zephyr, then just max efficiency, 170 duration or more or as much as you can if you can't get 170 with max efficiency, flow and go to plains. Only use 1st ability mid-air because it costs less then.

Circle the lake and every pond with 1 fast, wisps spawn on the edge of water at beachline. Keep your eye on loot radar because wisps show there as lootables. Do this at weekend when you have time to spend some nights in plains since wisps spawn more at night. The night starts exactly when there's 50 minutes left on bounties so check Konzu and calculate time. Buy resource booster, not the drop chance one.

Results with booster, 6-10 or some rare times 12 wisps, per one 3-4,5 minute run. 10 runs a night means 60-100 wisps a single night! 3 nights is 5 hours in game and you can take breaks in-between. Considering you need only 3-4 Cetus nights like this, which equals around 3 hours of wisp farming for all your personal wisp needs including one Zaw arcane, it's not that unreasonable grind.

And wisp farming is hard? Try oxium. Or kuva. Or mutagen samples for Hema. Or certain pigments, like condroc ones. Those make you run around pointlessly. You can't speak about wisp farm the same day if you do it like stated above.

I'm all for making wisps tradeable so I can get some easy platinum. Though that's not necessary since you can already buy Zaw arcanes from market, as well as operator and amp arcanes. So only amps, and anyone who read the above can go and do it by themselves and buy the arcanes from market if it's still too hard to farm them. And to people who say running in circles, yes I read half the thread to find out those who complain say that as if running and going in circles was the fastest way. Just take a bloody Zephyr or Nova or archwing.

WHY RUN LAPS WHEN YOU CAN FLY ZIGZAG, WITH LOOT RADAR? To every single pond, not just one lake.

And finally to the point that it's tedious and not good because you can't kill anything... why not try to enjoy it a little? It's a change to the killing theme. A change you dont have to spend that much time on unless you consider 3-6 hours a lot. Which is not a lot on warframe scale. Lot of people have a lot of hours to spend, we're talking 500+ hours easily. It's as if you dont get that this is a game where you have to spend a lot of hours to become something, even more hours if you dont use boosters. Now you know. Pigments, hema, oxium, to be able to complete riven challenges, kuva, hydrolyst 3x4 or more setup, focus. Welcome to warframe.

The archwing is a wing your warframe wears. Your aura on ur warframe is active while in archwing. So......

Loot detector aura... Is active in archwing. Itzal cosmic crush will vacuum the wisps to you... Mod for range.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

The archwing is a wing your warframe wears. Your aura on ur warframe is active while in archwing. So......

Loot detector aura... Is active in archwing. Itzal cosmic crush will vacuum the wisps to you... Mod for range.

Loot Detector is more rare than Thief's Wit and Animal Instinct. And according to wiki cosmic crush has only 14m range on landscape missions, doesnt seem too useful to me for the high energy cost even if you mod for efficiency and range, but then again I haven't tried it. Have you tried my method with Zephyr?

1 hour ago, BoarWarrior said:

Loot Detector is more rare than Thief's Wit and Animal Instinct. And according to wiki cosmic crush has only 14m range on landscape missions, doesnt seem too useful to me for the high energy cost even if you mod for efficiency and range, but then again I haven't tried it. Have you tried my method with Zephyr?

I have... Flying over and activating cosmic crush over a large body of water seems the more efficient of the two.

Also... 

"Cosmic Crush" at maximised range in Landscape is 22m. Thats plenty of range

Edited by (PS4)big_eviljak

On 2018-05-21 at 3:59 PM, MystMan said:

What Altre meant is there are 2 sides of the same coin.   Having the wisps spawn in the first place is RNG by itself.  Many can claim "I get X wisps per run" , but there are also others who run the same farming route around the lakes but come up empty.  Not once but several times in a row.  I can understand their frustration. You can run the route as much as you want but if RNG is never on your side, you are literally wasting your time.  Take farming Ivara and Nidus parts, those on the bad side of RNGesus will take months of trying to get them all, years trying to get all Stalker drops. I'm glad I'm not among them but those players exist and their concern is valid.  Honestly, they are better off buying 2 wisps per day, less frustrating, more guarantee despite the very long wait. 

I got my wisps just like davej83 described, during bounties.  If no wisps spawn anywhere, at least I got some bounty rewards and cetus standing. My time wasn't wasted this way and I did some shooting along the way rather than just running a marathon like a mindless GPS drone. So this would be my advice: try combining and multi-tasking your goals; you always end up with something rather than nothing.

I have NEVER run the route and not gotten at least one wisp, not even sure I've gotten less than 2.  Max out your loot radar.  One on your companion and one on your frame.  If you can run a route and not get a wisp you better check your route.  They are there, EVERY time.  Wisps are not as RNG as an Ivara part, not even close

On 2018-06-08 at 7:40 PM, Buttaface said:

It's not "personal rng experience." It's not Ivara, Harrow, Khora drops where people say "I got it in 5 runs." Apples... oranges. You run around the lake a number of times and YOU WILL GET lots and lots of wisps. You don't have to attack or kill mobs to do it. You don't have to sit in a farming group for an hour to do it. You don't have to have a certain build to do it. You just walk out a door and run around a lake or two. The more runs you do and the more efficiently you do it, the more you will get. That's NOT "personal RNG experience" any more than how many polymer bundles you get in this or that run is accurately termed "personal RNG experience." You are the one being fallacious here and still are in this thread I just happened by after leaving it some time ago.

I am getting near the end of selling off the stuff from my last 3 day POE booster farming jag 2-3 weeks ago. Paid 80p for 3 day resource and drop chance boosters and ran a bunch of bounties/farmed while watching tv and listening to tunes, did -not- play the game 24-7, nowhere remotely near that, lots of IRL stuff. Sold 3 sets of exodia arcanes for 2100 plat, 400 radian sentirum for 1200 plat, 100ish heart nyth for 250 plat. Just foundried up another 200 nyth last night to sell and STILL have 200 raw nyth left. This is -after- farming all the stuff to make all the gear I wanted for myself. That's nearly a 3500 plat return on an 80 plat investment for some of the easiest farming I've ever done in 20 years of playing MMOs.

How many wisps do I have left after all that? 296, with nothing to spend them on.

The whole "wisp whine" is a farce, utter and complete fantasy and make-believe, and the hilarious thing is you can tell -exactly why- the whiners don't succeed in getting what they want in the game easily by their responses to people trying to help and tell them how to do something that is, in a game that is built around farming stuff as a matter of fact, absurdly easy. Not once in one of these threads has someone said, "Thanks, I never thought of doing it that way, I'm going to try that." Not once, it's just the same lame arguments and rationalizations over and over.

"But... but... it's not fun! It's not enlightening or enriching!" If you are expecting everything in a FTP game built on a GRINDING MODEL where players pay $$ to AVOID GRINDING to be "fun," I don't know what to tell you. There are dozens of different grinds in WF, wisps are down near the bottom of grindiness as a matter of fact and not opinion.

Thank you.  

58 minutes ago, (PS4)zeltwang said:

I have NEVER run the route and not gotten at least one wisp, not even sure I've gotten less than 2.  Max out your loot radar.  One on your companion and one on your frame.  If you can run a route and not get a wisp you better check your route.  They are there, EVERY time.  Wisps are not as RNG as an Ivara part, not even close

This thread is really old. 

And I have run the route and not gotten any wisps several times. I have a specific build with Loot Radar + Thief's Wit + Animal Instinct equipped every time I enter Cetus plains.  I didn't rely on that method to get wisps, I get them by doing bounties (as a bounty reward and by pure chance whenever I happen to be near water should they happen to spawn), I get more varied loot worth my time in the plains this way.

I don't enter plains specifically to farm only Wisps like a walking/flying simulator back & forth dealing with a loading screen gate multiple times, that is an inefficient (and boring) way of farming the Cetus Plains. I crafted everything that needs wisps by now and still have 300+ left over. 

From the wiki:

• During the day, 3-4 Wisps will spawn across the entirety of the Plains. At night, the number of Wisps spawned will increase to 6-8.
  • Wisps have set spawn points and will choose from a subset of those to spawn at upon entering the Plains, after which no more Wisps will spawn for that session. To continue searching for more Wisps, players will have to spawn a new instance of the Plains.

If nothing spawns on the route, that means the wisps spawned at far away water spots. Since this is a RNG game, everybody has their own unique experience. You cannot use your personal experience as if it's representative for others. 
You mentioned Ivara like she's hard to farm. Well, I got her parts very quickly.  Another big example: sorties. Some people go 2 weeks without getting rivens while I am sick of getting them so many times.

RNG = RNG.   No such thing as "this is more RNG than another RNG"

Edited by MystMan

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/File:Cetus_Wisp_Spawn_Locations.png

They are somewhat RNG with the route I use but I never gotten less than 3 by circling most of the ponds in always under 5 minutes. And I farmed 300 out of my 600 wisps with Zephyr flying around, the other 300 from bounties. Flying around was so much faster there's no competition, 20 times faster maybe. So the RNG is limited, even nonexistent if you bother to learn every single spawn location. It is less RNG than getting a few frames like Harrow, Khora and Ivara.

So what you're saying is a coin landing on face side has the same chance as getting lottery jackpot, when in real life it's a 50% chance vs 0,000001% chance. Both are RNG sure but they're not the same, unless you ask the guy who won the lottery jackpot with first ticket ever. He might agree with you. Anyone who knows what RNG means in math doesn't. RNG is chance. That varies.

Edited by BoarWarrior

1 hour ago, MystMan said:

And I have run the route and not gotten any wisps several times. I have a specific build with Loot Radar + Thief's Wit + Animal Instinct equipped every time I enter Cetus plains.  I didn't rely on that method to get wisps, I get them by doing bounties (as a bounty reward and by pure chance whenever I happen to be near water should they happen to spawn), I get more varied loot worth my time in the plains this way.

I don't enter plains specifically to farm only Wisps like a walking/flying simulator back & forth dealing with a loading screen gate multiple times, that is an inefficient (and boring) way of farming the Cetus Plains. I crafted everything that needs wisps by now and still have 300+ left over. 

From the wiki:

• During the day, 3-4 Wisps will spawn across the entirety of the Plains. At night, the number of Wisps spawned will increase to 6-8.
  • Wisps have set spawn points and will choose from a subset of those to spawn at upon entering the Plains, after which no more Wisps will spawn for that session. To continue searching for more Wisps, players will have to spawn a new instance of the Plains.

If nothing spawns on the route, that means the wisps spawned at far away water spots. Since this is a RNG game, everybody has their own unique experience. You cannot use your personal experience as if it's representative for others. 
You mentioned Ivara like she's hard to farm. Well, I got her parts very quickly.  Another big example: sorties. Some people go 2 weeks without getting rivens while I am sick of getting them so many times.

So EVERY time you enter the plains night or day, there are wisps there, you just have to find them.  To get Ivara BP and helm (IIRC) you have to flawlessly crack 3 vaults in a high level spy to get A CHANCE at one of those parts.  One of these is not like the other.  I don't remember how many spies I did to get all the Ivara parts but it was more than a few.  Couldn't get the helm while I got 3 bp's.  That is grinding, that is getting RNG'd.  You want to run bounties to get wisps, by all means, go for it.  That's relying on RNG, but have at it.  If someone can't find wisps on the plains while specifically farming wisps, something is wrong with their method.  You just supplied proof that the only thing random about that is where the wisps are, NOT that they are or are not there.  THEY ARE THERE, just go find them or go back to the gate and generate a new map, but STOP with the 'this is so HARD' garbage.  It may be boring, it may be tedious, it might not be your thing, but it is not difficult nor unfair and it is not the same RNG as getting a riven, a prime part or 8000 other things in this game. 

Be grateful for your RNG luck on rivens, try getting sick on getting a sculpture, a booster, endo or any of the other rewards not named a riven.  That's me. 

No way, no how is farming wisps even remotely the same RNG as 90% of the rest of this game.  Go farm Equinox and tell me that is the same.  Or Stalking Fan.  I have two of those mods.  Bought the first one, the second dropped sometime around day 500.  I'm approaching day 750.  Not sure how many hours I've played.  I'd rather not know.  I have two of those mods.  Somewhere someone has 30 of them.  That's RNG, so be it.  Wisps ARE NOT THE SAME.       

On 2018-05-21 at 8:27 PM, Buttaface said:

Without engaging more than a few brain cells: 1. Wait to get a resource booster on login (or for Baro to bring it and buy with ducats, or GOD FORBID spend a princely 40p and support the game)

why would i want to support the game if its having me do this boring as hell collect-a-thon dogS#&$ instead of having fun shooting stuff and being a space ninja?

the whole system of collecting whisps is completly counter to the games design. actually the entire plains map is counter to the games design.  movement 2.0 made vertical maps so much more fun, so they make a giant empty field with nothing to climb on and tell you to run around in circles for weeks collecting whisps.......

4 minutes ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Luckily there's not many items which require Wisps.

notice how most the stuff that requires tons of wisps is also stuff you can buy with plat?

so obviously they arnt concerned about timegating the stuff you can get.  i get the feeling that they spent so long making the planes that they just want to force people to never leave, even though its boring and sucks ass

1 hour ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

I don't think you can buy anything that requires Wisps with plat.

You can. Zaw arcanes. Check wiki and warframe.market for exodia stuff. Total of 6 arcanes still available, maxed all is total 600 wisps. But you can skip that with maybe 3k platinum. 150 or so wisps for all amps for MR fodder means 2-3 nights with booster on, which you might as well buy or wait to get from sortie and then go for those 2-3 nights, which is 2-3 hours. Is that too much? In a game where you easily spend over 500 hours? 

5 hours ago, Ccrack said:

why would i want to support the game if its having me do this boring as hell collect-a-thon dogS#&$ instead of having fun shooting stuff and being a space ninja?

the whole system of collecting whisps is completly counter to the games design. actually the entire plains map is counter to the games design.  movement 2.0 made vertical maps so much more fun, so they make a giant empty field with nothing to climb on and tell you to run around in circles for weeks collecting whisps.......

Running in circles for weeks huh? My post was too long to read or you just didnt, cant blame you. But you can fly with Zephyr, Nova or Itzal with loot radar instead of running. And instead of weeks it's 6 nights without booster, 2-3 nights with booster, to get the mandatory 150 wisps for all amps. And you can get resource booster from sortie so. Tell me, is that too much too? In a game where you spend 500+ hours easily?

17 minutes ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Good thing that Zaw Arcanes are functionally useless for the mostpart

Not really but okay.

Be lazier like me OP and "Grind" your wisps using faction from the quills.

As for people having loot they find more important, I am struggling to figure which loot would actually have more value than obtaining 1-2 cetus wisps depending on your boosters.9

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎31 at 7:47 PM, MystMan said:

And I have run the route and not gotten any wisps several times.

This thread is old, but needing wisps is a part of the game everybody gets to eventually (if they play long enough).

Everybody who farms wisps (of course at night) have their own run and method. The fastest method is using Itzal or Zephyr. A "wisp hunter"-modded Itzal is theoretically faster, but only if you are very good at handling the archwing, know where the wisps generally can spawn (along your route) and can make split-second decisions on where & when to activate your 3rd. A "wisp-hunter" Zephyr is a bit slower but handles better, and you have to collect the wisp by getting close enough. 

Regardless, with a drop booster active and a somewhat good route you can easily collect 10 wisps in around 5 minutes (as a general mean, sometimes only 6 but up to 14). Add another 30 seconds going out-and-back-in through the gates, and you can get a lot of wisps during one night. Or, if you have your Itzal/Zephyr build ready, you can do a few wisp runs after your nightly eidolon hunt, whenever there is some night time left.

Personally I prefer Zephyr, since it is more fun rocketing around the plains (with your 1st & 200+ Duration). There are also two additional reasons why I think Zephyr is better:

1. Zephyr collects "more", having a Smeeta as companion works with Zephyr = occasionally you'll get a few extra wisps during a run (but when you get fast enough the drop buff is marginal) and the other option is using Carrier with Looter + Vacuum (which "automatically" gives you a few other Plains resources if you pass close by)

2. Zenurik's Energizing Dash means that Zephyr will always have enough energy to zip around the Plains like a comet (just do a dash when you start and every now and then when you briefly touch down).

I really hated collecting wisps. Now it is more of a Zen thing, a short and relaxing minigame within the game. Select Zephyr "the wisp hunter", in through the gates, do a dash (energy starts rolling in), zip through the route while checking the minimap for "suspicious" marks, land and pick up wisps, out through the gates. A few minutes of calm, nothing can touch you, you don't need to fight (or even weapons), Zephyr is always a joy to use and occasionally you get 12-14 wisps during a run (multiple record is 22, with a Smeeta). It is never boring anymore, just something to do occasionally, and I have hundreds of wisps "in stock". 

Edited by Graavarg

1 hour ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Good thing that Zaw Arcanes are functionally useless for the mostpart

Personally I think Exodia Force is "very, very good" on a 100% status build, and übergodly on a stat/crit build when combined with Fury & Strike (on the warframe). I don't think you can get the same level of raw "just wreck everything" killing power any other way, and you can even largely flavour everything it to your own personal preferences (even including "auto-healing" in the form of Healing Return). 

And Exodia Epidemic is useful on any zaw in most situations.

But discussing Arcanes is another topic... 😉

5 hours ago, BoarWarrior said:

Running in circles for weeks huh? My post was too long to read or you just didnt, cant blame you. But you can fly with Zephyr, Nova or Itzal with loot radar instead of running. And instead of weeks it's 6 nights without booster, 2-3 nights with booster, to get the mandatory 150 wisps for all amps. And you can get resource booster from sortie so. Tell me, is that too much too? In a game where you spend 500+ hours easily?

yes it is too much, because it isnt fun

i play this game to have fun, not to scrub around for hours picking up S#&$ thats only used for the operator

9 minutes ago, Ccrack said:

yes it is too much, because it isnt fun

i play this game to have fun, not to scrub around for hours picking up S#&$ thats only used for the operator

Well then you wont have the amps, unless you pull yourself together and farm like 30-50 wisps, which takes less than an hour with a booster. I do every day work that is less fun than wisp farming for 8 hours, so you wont get me to understand your point of view of refusing to do wisp farming for 2-3 hours in your whole warframe career. But hey, maybe DE will hear your plea and make amp parts tradeable. You should suggest that since it's a win-win, the amps are more essential than zaw arcanes so it would probably make wisps worth more platinum, and have much more market for wisps.

Edited by BoarWarrior
trying to avoid condescency and long posts

1 minute ago, BoarWarrior said:

Well then you wont have the amps, unless you pull yourself together and farm like 30-50 wisps, which takes less than an hour with a booster. I do every day work that is less fun than wisp farming for 8 hours, so you wont get me to understand your point of view of refusing to do wisp farming for 2-3 hours in your whole warframe career. But hey, maybe DE will hear your plea and make amp parts tradeable. You should suggest that since it's a win-win, the amps are more essential than zaw arcanes so it would probably make wisps worth more platinum, and have much more market for wisps. But are you even interested in what I'm saying or did you just come here to whine about a small thing?

making them tradable would be the best solution, since other syndicate items can be traded

i want better amps and gear but not enough to put up with wasting time wisp farming. i would rather just not play the game at all if it came to that