Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making Prime Cinematic Trailers viewable in-game through the Codex

Casardis

With how the trailers have fallen behind by now (no trailers for Hydroid, Zephyr, Limbo), the trailers don't serve as a hype train for the Prime Access as much anymore. Therefore, I think it can focus on being a valuable piece of art and lore that is part of the game. Even if the trailers are technically immortalized and accessible through the Warframe Youtube channel, I feel that many people, especially new players, will miss on those trailers much easier. Having them in-game, while hidden in the codex, will still open more doors for players to see them and the wonderful work DE has put in them. 

Having them in-game as a design choice can also make us look forward to the trailers not just for the hype and cool factor, but for what it brings to Warframe lore. While not all of them contain valuable information, a few of them allow us to peek into Orokin society and the creation of Warframes. For instance, Valkyr Prime trailer focuses a lot on the "savage" nature of the Warframes, echo'ing Rhino Prime's codex text and foreshadows for later cinematic quests. We also learn about how the Infestation had previously overtaken and ravaged Earth with Saryn Prime's trailer, and so on.

I don't think it would be too complicated to put them in-game. It doesn't even have to run live on the game's engine like the current cinematics; it could simply be a copy-paste of the mp4 file. In the end, it might help ease the thought of "what's the point of a trailer for an outdated Prime Access?" both from some community members as well as DE staff themselves (if that thought ever came), since it has an additional purpose of actually being in-game content. Perhaps it will be a good incentive for DE to make trailers for older Primes that never got any as well.

EDIT: As pointed out by some people, it may actually be better if it's made in-engine instead of putting an mp4 file, or maybe make it an external link to the youtube video. Having it as an mp4 file in the game would create wasted data space compared to processing it in-engine.

dSUXoOs.jpg

Edited by Casardis

I am in favour of having those cinematics rendered ingame and viewable via Codex. Same should go with Warframe Profiles (which need revisiting, again).

Speaking of cinematics and animation, would DE consider adding 1:1 sized Articulas for Captura and introduce all the objects/lighting tools the Dojo and Orbiter have to it so you can build scenes?

Edited by Koldraxon-732
Added a bit. Also, Umbra's forearms need to be looked at because the bigger crescent on each are not attached correctly.

I've often wondered why they're not currently present in-game. The trailers also are hard to find outside of YouTube, which isn't a good sign. 

It's very odd that for such a substantial draw of revenue as Prime Access, it isn't advertised like it should or could be. The release trailer timing often serves as a slap in the face for those who see the trailers, wish to purchase the shiny new Warframe, and find out that two new Primes have released since then. 

They are made entirely in-engine with the same assets as the rest of the game, I remember [DE]Steve showing the inner workings of the Banshee Prime trailer back when he did his Sunday streams.

It would be quite nice to, ya know, actually have the lore in-game.