Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Few Things I Always Keep In Mind When Helping New Players

Spartan336

Warframe is a game I love run by developers I have a high respect for. As such I want other people to enjoy the game as much as I have so you'll occasionally see me on Tessera, Venus asking the newer players: "We goin to ten?" Which, if they don't just ignore me and stay silent, usually ends up in a crusade across the planet to unlock the junction and some great times had for all.

There are a few things I keep in mind when helping them out though. A few things that I hope other Tenno here keep in mind as well.

1. Unless they ask to see it, do not show a new player the full extent of your awesome power. 

If you pop into Tessera as Equinox, go to your day form, then plop down some energy pizza's or Zenurik for energy, then activate your 4 and run around the small defense map killing everything that comes even remotely close to you, the new player/players are usually going to get a bit angry that they can't find enemies to work their sweet movement system and ninja skills on. This game has some polished movement and combat and taking that away from people just getting into the game isn't very cool. I'd always take a high level weapon along with you to make sure that you can deal with any assassins coming your way, but I usually just use a low damage unleveled weapon to even the playing field and make the defense mission fun for everyone involved. Now if you want to show them your god-like powers and they give you a green light to kill literally all the things, then go for it. Otherwise, well, 90% of the time it just turns out not being fun. 

2. Be friendly

This is a no brainer so I'll keep it brief. Make sure to talk first. Ask how far they've gotten. Ask if they're going to ten (If you're on Tessera that is) Ask if they need any questions answered. Always offer to help them through the game. Make jokes, play off their curiosity, and make sure everything is fun. 

3. The Unspoken Rule of Warframe

For those of you who don't already know what I am referring to, the unspoken rule goes like this: "Do not spoil The Second Dream." 

This, I believe, is the most important rule and the one I will be talking about the most. 

First I'm going to talk about why it's the 'Unspoken Rule' to so many of us. When the Second Dream was first released everyone who first played it was in shock and awe. I remember that "Wait... WHAT?!" Feeling I had when the operator first came into the picture. You were this badass space ninja who mowed down Grineer like grass and the entire time you were some magical star child. It was such a twist that pretty much the entire community made it a point not to spoil this quest to anyone who hadn't played it, and that quest seems to have carried on to this day despite The Second Dream releasing in December of 2015. I have seen people in public chats go: "NO SPOILERS" when someone asks about The Second Dream. There are many stories I could tell but the prime example of why you don't spoil this quest AND the lengths we go not to spoil it comes with a reviewer named Skill Up. If you haven't watched Skill Up's reviews of Warframe, then please go ahead and do so. 

When Skill Up first started playing Warframe he was taken away by many things and quickly got addicted. As a reviewer he'd go around and ask people what they thought of the game, how the F2P model was, ect. But one question he always came across was: "Have you played The Second Dream yet." And when he said no, everyone seemed quick NOT to spoil it. So he went out and played it, then posted this video after doing so. 

He called it a Master Stroke people. 

So when someone doesn't get that experience due to a spoiler it breaks my little digital gamer heart. 

There's an entire debate here because DE has been featuring Operators in their streams more heavily these days, so some ask why we should even go through those lengths to conceal this quest if it's so public. Well for one, DE, as least from what I've seen, does have spoiler warning for any newer player to make sure they aren't spoiled, indicating that while DE still wants to show off cool stuff they don't want to spoil the story. Two, well, that first review Skull Up did was right before PoE released, years after The Second Dream released, and people still weren't spoiling him and working not to spoil new players at that time. Including me. So I say we keep it up.

4. Don't use the Operator within line of sight of the new player.

This is a grey area. If you've been given the option to use a mechanic the game gives you, why not use it? I have the option to right? 

Well, yes. You can use the Operator on Tessera. But remember, just the sight of the operator has a possibility of indirectly spoiling a new player. I accidentally spoiled my best friend by clicking 5 instead of 4 on accident once, and when he reached The Second Dream the surprise was pretty much null for him. That sucked. Plain and simple. 

If I were to conclude this whole thing, I'd just say this. 

If you're helping a new player, make sure they're having fun and respect the natural order of the game so they experience the awesomeness that the rest of us have experienced. Please, do not spoil things and make sure that everyone feels welcome in our Space Ninja heaven. 

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, (XB1)PredakingXYT said:

Couldn't agree more, that number four about the operator is always as you said " in a grey area" because you never really know when a player has done TSD, so I kinda just wait for them to be past MR7 or 8  

I've also encountered several people who are switching from console to PC who know. You can never truly know unless you ask. Makes it dangerous to assume. But yeah, usually by MR8 they've gotten to it. I'm just always cautious. 

I often join the newbs on Lith/Earth just for fun, and I've seen way too many MR20+'s that jump around as their Operator...

if you're going to join the newbs with your overpowered arsenal, at least pretend to actually work with them instead of carrying them lol

Edited by o0Despair0o

Just now, Spartan336 said:

I've also encountered several people who are switching from console to PC who know. You can never truly know unless you ask. Makes it dangerous to assume. But yeah, usually by MR8 they've gotten to it. I'm just always cautious. 

That's totally true, I never thought about that. I rarely use the operator anyhow so I hope I've never spoiled it to a newb

1 minute ago, o0Despair0o said:

I often join the newbs on Lith/Earth just for fun, and I've seen way too many MR20+'s that jump around as their Operator...

if you're going to join the newbs with your overpowered arsenal, at least pretend to actually work with them instead of carrying them lol

Knock Knock

Who's there?

End-Game

End-game who?

Surprise! Everything in the mission is dead before you could fire your gun!

do people really care that much about the story of this game? I don't care about the story so I wouldn't mind a single spoiler and always figured the vast majority of people were he same, after all warframe is advertised as a fun CO-OP pve shooter, nothing story like is advertised with it, and it's gameplay is the main crutch of it.

From the "I've been playing this game for years before TSD existed" standpoint, I'm sure it's a huge surprise that amazed people everywhere.

From the "I'm a new player and I know who Iron Man is" standpoint, is it really a huge surprise? Grineer are people, Corpus are people, the Orokin were people, why wouldn't we be people? It'd be surprising if we weren't. 

30 minutes ago, CoolDudeMcCool said:

From the "I've been playing this game for years before TSD existed" standpoint, I'm sure it's a huge surprise that amazed people everywhere.

From the "I'm a new player and I know who Iron Man is" standpoint, is it really a huge surprise? Grineer are people, Corpus are people, the Orokin were people, why wouldn't we be people? It'd be surprising if we weren't. 

It's more of a how it's done. I mean, maybe it isn't a surprise that you're a person, but it is a surprise that you're a kid given that you're a silent space ninja. We just want them to experience what we experienced. If they're already spoiled, then so be it, but if they're not I'll do everything in my power to make sure it remains that way until The Second Dream.

Cant agree more with this. Sometimes in my clan chat we have new players who ask. "Do you know where to get plastics?" And then I get pissed because my clan mates say; "On Saturn". Like really?? He's a new player! He doesn't even know what they are. How are you just going to tell them about a high level planet. And then the clan mates end up taking the newbie to Saturn and the new player gets mad and starts to sat that the game is hard. Yeah no S**t it is if you expose a Mastery Rank 3 to level 30+ enemies.

Edited by (XB1)darkandrexander

4 hours ago, (XB1)darkandrexander said:

Cant agree more with this. Sometimes in my clan chat we have new players who ask. "Do you know where to get plastics?" And then I get pissed because my clan mates say; "On Saturn". Like really?? He's a new player! He doesn't even know what they are. How are you just going to tell them about a high level planet. And then the clan mates end up taking the newbie to Saturn and the new player gets mad and starts to sat that the game is hard. Yeah no S**t it is if you expose a Mastery Rank 3 to level 30+ enemies.

I think telling them Plastids are on Saturn is fine. Taking them there however can be a gamble. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)vl_Monarch_lv said:

But if I dont use my Operator, how will I get energy...

Through other means. This game is very complex and diverse. I'm sure you can figure that out. Or you can just Zenurik out of sight. One or the other.

2 hours ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

These are common sense tbh

And yet some people seem not to have this 'Common Sense'. 

14 hours ago, cghawk said:

do people really care that much about the story of this game? 

I do.  I'm a narrative junkie.  Obviously the reason I play video games is that they add a ton of mechanics on top of the storyline and can deliver a narrative unlike what movies or television or books can do...  And Warframe leans quite a bit more heavily towards the mechanics side of things, rather than a truly-engaging storyline...  But I'm still curious about that story.  I still want to know about the world, what happened, and why.  And I'm thoroughly enjoying every story-based mission I get.

13 hours ago, CoolDudeMcCool said:

I'm a relatively new player - I've only been playing about a month now.  And I just did War Within over the weekend.

I'd kind of assumed that my character was some flavor of people.  Like you said - why wouldn't we be?  Everyone else in the game is some kind of people running around in weird-looking armor, why not us?

But I kind of assumed my character was actually in the armor.  Those first few tutorial-y missions talk about the ascaris digging into your spine and taking over your brain, right?  So I figured I was physically inside the armor.  And Ordis seemed genuinely concerned about the Operator's welfare during the Chroma mission - which, again, suggests that you're actually inside the armor and in harm's way.

Second Dream definitely came as a surprise to me.  I had no idea that I was some kid piloting my warframes remotely from the Void.  I had no expectation that I'd get to customize a character.  Didn't expect to suddenly gain any new abilities or mechanics.

That's the problem with a mmo evolving plot over the course of years, specially when large game mode expansions feature heavily on this "twist" in the story.

Like if someone played WoW again after 7 years. Where's my man Thrall? What? Sylvanas is the warchief. Whhhaaat.

There is a point in time it will be impractical. And it's getting damn close because of the effort involved just because you want to run Lith relics quickly. DE forces us into contact even if we don't want to play low level content. The open roams are the same. Anyone just pops up in the night. "Why can't I hurt this thing" in region. There you go. And that's if they didn't read the launch page of PoE. Wowy Focus 2.0. make my operator? Into an expert Eidolon Hunter... Mmm.

Edited by Firetempest

#1 thing I am always conscious of when playing with someone I believe to be new: if they are striking at an enemy, don't sail in and one-shot it on your way to doing other things. You don't need the kill, don't rob them of gameplay. Especially if they've been hammering away at that Crewman with their Heat Sword for a while, don't deal the killing blow. Let them have their victory.

5 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

#1 thing I am always conscious of when playing with someone I believe to be new: if they are striking at an enemy, don't sail in and one-shot it on your way to doing other things. You don't need the kill, don't rob them of gameplay. Especially if they've been hammering away at that Crewman with their Heat Sword for a while, don't deal the killing blow. Let them have their victory.

I couldn't agree with this more. 

While I try not to spoil things, If I need my operator to rez people or whatever, sorry new players, you are going to get that part spoiled. I just won't detail it at all.

Kind of silly if I am in hydron leveling and people are low MR/new to the game and need rezzes for me to not help the team and die myself while rezzing them because spoilers. How do they even know what the operator involves regarding the warframe? If they do, it's already been spoiled. That ones not even a grey area, there's just times when you need to pop into operator mode.

I'm laughing at someone complaining about people helping new players farm resources though. WTF. Please, help new players, show them that people playing longer aren't jerks. If you think the planets are hidden to newbies, or that they don't know anything about the ACTUAL solar system we live in... you must thing people lack some serious education when they start the game.

Edited by SpicyDinosaur
Not that I can't be a total jerk to other players at times.

1 hour ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

While I try not to spoil things, If I need my operator to rez people or whatever, sorry new players, you are going to get that part spoiled. I just won't detail it at all.

Kind of silly if I am in hydron leveling and people are low MR/new to the game and need rezzes for me to not help the team and die myself while rezzing them because spoilers. How do they even know what the operator involves regarding the warframe? If they do, it's already been spoiled. That ones not even a grey area, there's just times when you need to pop into operator mode.

I'm laughing at someone complaining about people helping new players farm resources though. WTF. Please, help new players, show them that people playing longer aren't jerks. If you think the planets are hidden to newbies, or that they don't know anything about the ACTUAL solar system we live in... you must thing people lack some serious education when they start the game.

Dyam. I mean, new players shouldn't even be on Hydron to begin with. A word of advice to everyone, don't take them to high level planets like that. While I don't think you need the Operator to rez someone, there is a point where it's just kinda silly to attempt to hide it because everyone at that stage has it.