Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operators suits need to be reverted.

Madatom

The case may be that it's far from terrible, but still it's really sloppy work (being a 3d/Texture Artist myself I can honestly say that) the Hood flops around, there's a gap that you can park a star destroyer in around the Faulds' waist band, and most importantly this is not what I paid almost $40 out of pocket for. 

I hesitate to say something is outright bad. But when I look at the Vahd suit, it just is. I'm sorry. There's something plainly wrong with the pants and the scarf and parts of the hood/mask, and I hope this image illustrates what it is:

er4Nwj0.png

The flat black areas have absolutely no interaction with shading/lighting and looks like a deep abyss. Just because I put the "true black" from smoke on an item doesn't mean I actually want it to be literally void black with no interaction with the lighting system. The light grey/white areas also clash awfully with anything but brighter colors, and I would really prefer if that was attached to a color slot so it could be customized. The Vahd body and sleeves look basically fine with the same black applied with the exception of the scarf area. So do the boots. But the pants, the scarf, and the mask area need attention. Please.

2 minutes ago, Urlan said:

Looks like the dangling bits are still inserting themselves into the Tenno's body to dangle from within. Nice look otherwise, is that a Smoke Black?

Yes it is. The point of my post is that I don't want the completely flat void black. It doesn't interact with the lighting/shader system. Even if you don't have 0 0 0 black on that slot, it still doesn't interact with lighting for whatever reason. But if you put flat black on it, it will lose its textured appearance entirely.

THis doesn't really add to the OPs point about black colour and textures, but the last update really changed the look of the Vahd, they removed the thicker belt/sash around the waste and added that chest scarf that clips baddly with a lot of other options, among other things that changed.

Here's a before after of my operator wearing the same setup (Only the chest is Vahd here.).

Personally I found its old appearance better, but that of course is subjective.

Spoiler

K8pIOvj.jpg

ADalPVV.jpg

When I look at things like in the OP I think Warframe could benefit in adding texture options to go with colour options, like do I want a flat matte vahd that absorbs light in darker shades or a shiny leathery vahd that reflects light and shines.

I don't think we'll ever get texture options, and honestly, I'm not ever going to ask for any. I just want the textures we do have to look realistic. All textures should interact with shaders no matter what RGB value you put on them. There are numerous textures in the game that have no shader interaction and if I created a post illustrating every single one, I'd be at it for a full day or more. But since the operator suits have received attention in the recent update, the more focus put on these issues, the more likely they are to be addressed since they are at the forefront of the game's focus right now.

1 hour ago, Geraaltix said:

Yes it is. The point of my post is that I don't want the completely flat void black. It doesn't interact with the lighting/shader system. Even if you don't have 0 0 0 black on that slot, it still doesn't interact with lighting for whatever reason. But if you put flat black on it, it will lose its textured appearance entirely.

I can feel you on that! The other parts have a sorta gloss finish don't they?

2 minutes ago, Urlan said:

I can feel you on that! The other parts have a sorta gloss finish don't they?

Yup. Most of the torso, the Vahd sleeves, boots, flappy bit, and the top hood area have a bit of shine to them and so they look realistic under lighting. The leggings, mask, and scarf do not. I believe they actually fixed the torso area at some point in the past, but they didn't fix the rest of it at the same time.

To be honest, some of the clothes look way better now. The problem is: we bought cosmetics for platinum that had a certain look and this rework changed that look. If I buy a green car, I bring it home, and the next day it's red...I'm not gonna be really happy. Doesn't make the car a bad car, but it's not what I bought. I had bought Koppra hood because opened, it was a nice metallic rigid collar with a metallic straight necktie. Now it looks like a wobbly banana peel. If this is the direction DE wants to take it's ok, as long as I get tor return the banana peel and get my plat back :smile: Apart from this issue, some parts look weird on their own, mostly the Cetus armor sets.

On 2018-10-16 at 5:20 PM, HalidarSilvercloud said:

To be honest, some of the clothes look way better now. The problem is: we bought cosmetics for platinum that had a certain look and this rework changed that look. If I buy a green car, I bring it home, and the next day it's red...I'm not gonna be really happy. Doesn't make the car a bad car, but it's not what I bought. I had bought Koppra hood because opened, it was a nice metallic rigid collar with a metallic straight necktie. Now it looks like a wobbly banana peel. If this is the direction DE wants to take it's ok, as long as I get tor return the banana peel and get my plat back :smile: Apart from this issue, some parts look weird on their own, mostly the Cetus armor sets. 

While I agree with this entirely, plat refunds for these changes will be refused because the item has been 'used' even though it's no longer the same items you purchased. Trust me, I tried myself when I saw what they did to the operator cosmetics. I am not pleased with the changes or the fact that DE thinks a bait-and-switch like this is acceptable while refusing refunds. As a founder and someone that's been around on and off since closed beta, I am extremely unhappy with how this whole thing has been handled and won't be further supporting DE with plat purchases because of the precedent that this sets rather than the severity of the changes- which are thankfully, purely cosmetic.

They've stated that they're going to revert the changes, which is the best outcome here, and I'm glad they've seen their folly in regards to the cosmetic changes. However, while it should have happened Monday, and didn't. And should have then occurred with the update Tuesday and didn't, it's now Wednesday and hasn't happened. I'm beginning to question more than just their decision making. No reputable company of DE's size should be operating without some form of version control, Be it my personal favorite- subversion, or CVS, Perforce(which admittedly scales a little better than subversion), Git(Which lacks a few things subversion offers- like the ability to change notes on commits without pushing a new one), Mercurial(eww), or some other alternative that would make such a revert much easier than manual codebase/resource management. DE isn't small anymore, they've gone from 30-35 employees to 200+. With that growth comes administrative overhead that such systems ease.

Did they take the weekend off, sure- I can't blame anyone for that, and even though the changes were- at best poorly implemented and at worse, an ill-conceived ploy to drive new cosmetic plat purchases(which still seems more likely given the unreasonable length of time this has taken to fix), Even in the vaguest sense of what we were told- if we ignore the Monday ETA(setbacks happen, it's understandable for this to be delayed a day), we're left with 'early next week' which doesn't mean thursday/friday- and at this point I honestly don't even expect to see them fixed this week. This is something that should take a few hours to do at most, and that's assuming a fair amount of the underlying systems have changed and code needs to be sorted through and a more careful manual merge done. I expect a fair amount of each system is doled out into separate classes, which should make it easier to maintain and revert as needed, not harder. If grievous mistakes are made in the reversion process i could understand another day at most, and that's being reasonable and understanding that people arn't perfect and major mistakes do happen from time to time. However- it's now after-hours on wednesday and it hasn't been fixed. Are they still working on other content as well- yes, obviously. However I question their priorities if mainline/published branch content fixes take a back-seat to unreleased content with no public deadline. The published branch should ALWAYS take priority, and that does not appear to be what we're seeing here.

Is this a game-breaking bug? No, it's cosmetics. Of course I'll still be able to play if it stays like this until next week. All I'm saying here is that there's no good reason for it to have been implemented in the first place and the much-desired revert is taking much longer than it should. I sincerely hope DE sees this and takes careful consideration to not only my qualms with the precedent this has set(which boils down to you can purchase something but if we later decide to change it to something drastically different than what you purchased- we'll refuse to refund it because you used it before we changed it.), but the fact that the reversion to the previous models is taking much longer than it should- because that's a symptom of a much bigger scalability and agility problem than the purely cosmetic issues we have with this change. If the infrastructure isn't in place it needs to be put in place. If it is in place, why isn't it being used the way it should? If It can be and isn't - it boils down to an issue with priorities(again, published branch should always take priority) that needs to be considered, Because if none of that is a problem, we're left with the distasteful prospect that this was just a ploy to drive more cosmetic plat purchases. I really would like to think that isn't the case, but rather- that mistakes were made. Hopefully DE can learn from them and improve. If this had been a change other than cosmetic- the severity of the issue could've been much greater.

I think it used to be attached to the arms and I like it, just wish I could add it to the other chests.

If you want to see the new "bad" though, take a look at Vahd Cuirass. The flaps don't attach to anything and just float, hanging from nothing. The whole belt from that set is invisible.

On 2018-10-13 at 3:03 AM, krc473 said:

Yep, hopefully they revert a few things. But it will take until next week to get it done. Seeing how its not 'game-breaking' it may not be out on Monday.

Well looks like they have not worked on it... had a style... until it changed... so... I just left the operator in her jumpsuit