Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rework old events into Planet-based Starchart mini-quests.

Talonflight

Many players who are around today have no idea of the old events. Things like Ratthuum, Black Scourge, Gate Crasher, Ambulas, etc, all of them are gone now, into the past, never to be seen by new players.

Ordinarily, this would be fine; they're events, they're limited time, all well and good. However, when Universe Altering events such as Ratthuum (Intended to introduce an entire FACTION) or Ambulas (A great build-up to a boss battle!) are no longer known or understood to newer players, it can create a gap in knowledge. Some planets feel barren and empty as it is; making things more interesting throughout the starchart could greatly help spice it up, especially considering the lack of story content in the starchart up until you hit Uranus.

It also allows old "exclusive" mods to return, giving people access to them as quest rewards or for grinding out extra runs at the mini-personal event. It also could potentially allow a "quest for every single planet", giving you reason to spend time on all the different tilesets. (Oh Wait...)

Using these events to further introduce new enemies is also a possibility. Locking harder, more advanced enemies behind completing certain events could also increase difficulty.
Below, I've compiled a list of appropriate planets, requirements, and rewards for completing certain Operations. 
Mercury, Saturn, Ceres, and Pluto could use some more mini quests, etc, but I think I've got all of them.

Operations which include Fomorians and/or Razorbacks were removed from this list, as they can be access via Invasion missions.

Earth: The Cicero Crisis  (requires MR 2 and having completed 1 Ghoul Purge). Completion unlocks Vay Hek assassinate). Operation Gate Crash (unlocks Mars Junction)

Mercury: Avalanche Offensive - (Unlocks enemy spawning Eximus units. Junction Requirement)

Venus: Spectres of Liberty - (Unlocks Spectre options as well as Syndicate System upon completion. Required for Ceres Junction)

Mars: The Gravidus Dilemna - (Unlocks the Invasion system. Junction Requirement)

Phobos: Operation Arid Fear - (Unlocks a Void-path on the starchart? possible work needed, can't remember if you can get to the Void from here or not) Operation Cryotic Front (unlocks Excavation)

Ceres: Informant Event (unlocks Grineer info drones, possible Sentinel reward? Move Taxon reward here, maybe?), 

Jupiter: The Hunt for Alad V (completing it unlocks the Alad V Assassinate mission node. Assassinate node is Junction Requirement)

Europa: - Fusion Moa event (unlocks Corpus using Fusion Moas in battle. Saturn Junction requirement), Oxium Espionage event (unlocks Corpus using Oxium Ospreys (Uranus junction requirement)), 

Saturn: Operation Tethra's Doom (really do think Saturn needs a new tileset, hopefully something cool and space-y with jumping between rubble fragments inside of its Rings).

Uranus: Operation Tubemen of Regor (requires completion of Patient Zero to unlock. Unlocks Manic enemy type), The Pacifism Defect (Requirement for Sedna Junction).

Lua: N/A

Neptune: Operation False-Profit (unlocks Bursa enemy type, Junction Requirement), Operation Shadow Debt (unlocks Acolyte cosmetic customization options?)

Pluto: Operation Ambulas Reborn (Junction Requirement), Suspicious Shipments

Eris: Operation Breeding Grounds, Operation Mutalist Incursions (completing both unlocks Patient Zero) 

Kuva Fortress: N/A

Sedna: Operation Rathuum (completion unlocks Apostasy Prologue, which in turn will unlock The Sacrifice). Operation Pyrus Project (Unlocks new Relay!)

Edited by Talonflight
Added Content

Totally agree, its horrible for a new player having to read a fan-made wikia to understand lore and wtf is going on instead of having it handed by the game itself.

I seriously don't get what is the thought process of DE for wasting all these resources they spend with it.

Dev1: HEY Bob! What about we get this event that is just over last week? What about we get all that money and time and resources we poured in with animations and voice acting and stuff and just shove it into the game as quests so that new players can understand whats going on and make the game feel more vivid and full of content?

Bob: Nah, throw it on the trash. Who needs it anyways?

Yeah alot of the current content is pretty confusing, like frohd bek for example, you see him while killing ambulas on pluto and during the assassination mission, but little to no backstory up until that point, why should I care about him? or if that ship is destoyed? What happened to his larynx? All of this should be in the game, I wasnt around for the older events, and I get it I missed out on some content, but I shouldnt have to go to an outside source for in game information

Edited by Vanilla_nuka

5 hours ago, krc473 said:

Bumping the thread won’t achieve much,

DE has said they would like to reintroduce the old events somehow. They are just too busy at the moment.

which is exactly why we bump the thread, so they realize that this is an important underlying issue going on for years because they were "too busy" with other stuff.

Fortuna is coming out and a lot of new players will come in and have literally no idea of what the heck is going on. Which means player bleedout.

On 2018-10-15 at 6:54 PM, Talonflight said:

Ratthuum (Intended to introduce an entire FACTION)

What faction was introduced with Operation: Rathuum? Kela de Thaym and her Executioners are all Grineer, and Kela was already in the game, so she wasn't even new. Steel Meridian has also been around since 2015.

EDIT: Obviously the idea of implementing past events into replayable content is good, and I fully support it. It's just a matter of DE finding the time.

Edited by GrayArchon

4 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

What faction was introduced with Operation: Rathuum? Kela de Thaym and her Executioners are all Grineer, and Kela was already in the game, so she wasn't even new. Steel Meridian has also been around since 2015.

EDIT: Obviously the idea of implementing past events into replayable content is good, and I fully support it. It's just a matter of DE finding the time.

Ratthum was our first "faction event", and was the first time we actually worked alongside one of the Syndicates. It served as the "faction quest" in a sense for the Steel Meridian, and DE themselves have mentioned "oh, the only faction we haven't really done a quest for is Arbiters of Hexis, which is why we're giving them the Elite Alerts/Arbitrations". 
As such, Rathuum served as a time-limited quest-event for the Steel Meridian syndicate.

5 hours ago, Nitro747 said:

which is exactly why we bump the thread, so they realize that this is an important underlying issue going on for years because they were "too busy" with other stuff.

Fortuna is coming out and a lot of new players will come in and have literally no idea of what the heck is going on. Which means player bleedout.

Thank you

11 hours ago, Vanilla_nuka said:

Yeah alot of the current content is pretty confusing, like frohd bek for example, you see him while killing ambulas on pluto and during the assassination mission, but little to no backstory up until that point, why should I care about him? or if that ship is destoyed? What happened to his larynx? All of this should be in the game, I wasnt around for the older events, and I get it I missed out on some content, but I shouldnt have to go to an outside source for in game information

I fully agree with you. I was around for some of the older events, but I took a very long hiatus, and then when I came back simply didn't participate in a lot of events (I willfully ignored Pyrus Project, to be fair). But for most people, the timed events are dead and gone.

On 2018-10-15 at 10:51 PM, DrBorris said:

It has been a long time since I posted this, and it is horribly outdated as well as getting a certain part of the timeline incorrect, but I think it will get the idea across...

ntXNtpC.png

I have no idea if this timeline is still current or not, and frankly I don't remember all of the events anymore. I'd honestly like to see a timeline of events, sorted by the accessible starchart planets, so that you unlock quests as you unlock starchart, making "events" more streamlined into quests.

5 hours ago, Nitro747 said:

I appreciate the idea. But that is unlikely to be the result. Bumping threads without adding anything can result in them just being removed. That does not help anyone. I want this added too. I missed a couple of early events and I have wanted to do them for ages. But they are yet to be added. I would rather them have released this than say the Arbitration alerts. 

• I would get more use out of this than most of the new content.

"I support this idea" or "I wish DE would do this" are better ways to bump it than just saying "bump".

13 hours ago, Talonflight said:

Ratthum was our first "faction event", and was the first time we actually worked alongside one of the Syndicates.

Operation: Spectres of Liberty, which introduced Rescue 2.0 and Spectres as a gear item, introduced the Red Veil (all the rescue targets were Red Veil operatives), before the other Syndicates were even in the game, and a full 2 years before Operation: Rathuum.

26 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

Operation: Spectres of Liberty, which introduced Rescue 2.0 and Spectres as a gear item, introduced the Red Veil (all the rescue targets were Red Veil operatives), before the other Syndicates were even in the game, and a full 2 years before Operation: Rathuum.

My mistake, then. I often forget about Spectres of Liberty, due to it occuring during my hiatus from the game. Apologies.

Either way, the point still stands that reworking events into quests only helps the game; and based on all the feedback here, pretty much everyone agrees on that point.

Anyone got a list of all events, sorted by date? I'd love to work on an up-to-date timeline of events and such that could be distributed.

I started playing 3,5 years ago and there are few events even I didn't play.Couple of them I dodnt play because I was a naw player then and didn't realize they were a one time only events.

This is very nice idea.Veterans would enjoy too doing some long forgotten(or never played) events.

17 minutes ago, RistN said:

I started playing 3,5 years ago and there are few events even I didn't play.Couple of them I dodnt play because I was a naw player then and didn't realize they were a one time only events.

This is very nice idea.Veterans would enjoy too doing some long forgotten(or never played) events.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're clueless about why there is a dropship dropping an Ambulas in the middle of your mission, why the heck is Ergo Glast talking to you, why you need to hack it and collect Nav Beacon and wtf is going on during that boss battle.

Its literally throwing content in the trash can. Make the event, but leave that content as quests for newer players, but without the exclusive rewards/different, less substantial rewards. It's really that simple.

1 hour ago, Talonflight said:

My mistake, then. I often forget about Spectres of Liberty, due to it occuring during my hiatus from the game. Apologies.

Either way, the point still stands that reworking events into quests only helps the game; and based on all the feedback here, pretty much everyone agrees on that point.

Yeah, I agree with reworking the old events back into the game.

1 hour ago, Talonflight said:

Anyone got a list of all events, sorted by date? I'd love to work on an up-to-date timeline of events and such that could be distributed.

I'm curating a lore blog where I gather information like quests, events, and such. The Events page will have a full write-up of every operation and event, when it's completed, but this is a free-time project for me, so it'll still be a while. Until then, the wikia page lists them all (except the most recent Pyrus Project).

Using these events to further introduce new enemies is also a possibility. Locking harder, more advanced enemies behind completing certain events could also increase difficulty.
Below, I've compiled a list of appropriate planets, requirements, and rewards for completing certain Operations. 
Mercury, Saturn, Ceres, and Pluto could use some more mini quests, etc, but I think I've got all of them.

Operations which include Fomorians and/or Razorbacks were removed from this list, as they can be access via Invasion missions.

Earth: The Cicero Crisis  (requires MR 2 and having completed 1 Ghoul Purge). Completion unlocks Vay Hek assassinate). Operation Gate Crash (unlocks Mars Junction)

Mercury: Avalanche Offensive - (Unlocks enemy spawning Eximus units. Junction Requirement)

Venus: Spectres of Liberty - (Unlocks Spectre options as well as Syndicate System upon completion. Required for Ceres Junction)

Mars: The Gravidus Dilemna - (Unlocks the Invasion system. Junction Requirement)

Phobos: Operation Arid Fear - (Unlocks a Void-path on the starchart? possible work needed, can't remember if you can get to the Void from here or not) Operation Cryotic Front (unlocks Excavation)

Ceres: Informant Event (unlocks Grineer info drones, possible Sentinel reward? Move Taxon reward here, maybe?), 

Jupiter: The Hunt for Alad V (completing it unlocks the Alad V Assassinate mission node. Assassinate node is Junction Requirement)

Europa: - Fusion Moa event (unlocks Corpus using Fusion Moas in battle. Saturn Junction requirement), Oxium Espionage event (unlocks Corpus using Oxium Ospreys (Uranus junction requirement)), 

Saturn: Operation Tethra's Doom (really do think Saturn needs a new tileset, hopefully something cool and space-y with jumping between rubble fragments inside of its Rings).

Uranus: Operation Tubemen of Regor (requires completion of Patient Zero to unlock. Unlocks Manic enemy type), The Pacifism Defect (Requirement for Sedna Junction).

Lua: N/A

Neptune: Operation False-Profit (unlocks Bursa enemy type, Junction Requirement), Operation Shadow Debt (unlocks Acolyte cosmetic customization options?)

Pluto: Operation Ambulas Reborn (Junction Requirement), Suspicious Shipments

Eris: Operation Breeding Grounds, Operation Mutalist Incursions (completing both unlocks Patient Zero) 

Kuva Fortress: N/A

Sedna: Operation Rathuum (completion unlocks Apostasy Prologue, which in turn will unlock The Sacrifice). Operation Pyrus Project (Unlocks new Relay!)

Edited by Talonflight
Forgot some rewards.

After going through this list further, I do feel that some planets could use further events. 

Mercury - Unknown. Ideas needed.  As the first planet you go to after Earth, it should hopefully be a decent Tutorial area with focuses on learning your moves and switching up your weapons, and learning advanced parkour.

Mars - Rumors in the community about a Mad Max style open world with drivable vehicles that were shown on devstream, likely something around 2021-ish. Unknown.

Phobos - pretty much felt like a placeholder for most of the game. Give them something unique rather than a Mars clone. Its supposed to have settlements; maybe this is finally our chance to see a Cityscape tileset and a Mafia-style quest!

Ceres - Needs more content related to its status as a scrapyard and repair site. Something involving a cobbled together giant grineer mech would be interesting as a new boss fight, instead of fighting two other bosses at once, or other content involving Prosecuters.

Saturn - Arguably the weakest planet lore-wise in the game, although has a great boss in Sargas Ruk. Would like to see more about this mysterious "Grineer Blockade" thats talked about in its lore on the wiki. Ideally should have near-constant ship combat as the Corpus try to force their way through  and constant crossfire nodes in the outskirts could be used, as well as transitions between foot and archwing to fly between the ring debries and land on scattered chunks of outposts. A unique tileset would do very good here, being all about leaping from one chunk of asteroid to another through the vaccum of space.

Pluto - Ambulas Reborn was a great thing. But we  could use some love for side content in pluto. Unknown, need ideas. A more unique tileset would also do great things here. 

Lua - Has The Second Dream. Could also use a reason to return here for side content such as preventing either Corpus or Grineer from setting a foothold on it. Alternatively I'd love to see the Tenno as a whole make a consolidated effort to "claim the moon" as their home. 

i made a thread about this earlier here.

i think the only events that need to be reintroduced as quests are The Cicero Crisis, False Profit, Tubemen of Regor, Shadow Dept, Rathuum, and Ambulus Reborn. these quests gave a proper introduction to some characters while also explaining how or why they are in their current situations. 

to make it less difficult for them, they dont have to bring back every single event as quests unless absolutely necessary.