Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A generous community?

Vortuna

I run extra waves that I don't need, as long as there isn't any one really hogging the affinity or slowing it down to much. 

I occasionally prey on newer players in region chat,  view their profile,  then gift them either a hard to farm frame or one that rewards a riven after quest completion. That they don't have,  and likely didn't do the quest for. 

I also try to sell low MR prime sets for cheep to players who don't currently have any MR in said weapon. In order to best avoid price flipping peddlers. 

OP here's the thing mate. Any serious player who wants to level gear doesn't use Hydron, they do it with clan mates or friends in either Adaro or ESO. Public games are unorganized games for when clan mates aren't around and nobody owes anyone anything in those games. If someone leaves early, you can either leave and restart with minor inconvenience or you can stay and go further without them. If you're incapable of going to about wave 20 on your own in Hydron then you need to stop levelling new weapons or frames and concentrate on getting your gear good enough to manage such things while you level new gear. Because if you can't, you're there in that public group to let someone else do the work.

You have to be a fairly likable person in text or form relationships to be given gifts, but even then never expect to receive a gift as that will come off as petty, like you appear to now. Meanwhile I understand how people can be annoyingly praise-y about warframe's euphoric community, which is true to an extent to be fair when compared to various competitive communities which are most commonly cesspools.

OTOH humans are naturally designed to be toxic so meh, bury them alive or something.

On 2018-10-17 at 12:13 PM, Nepelwerfer said:

I'm MR 24 only because I leveled a lot of things, not because I have played for years. And I only joined her clan recently, my experience is in the half year I have been playing this game.

And it's not really handouts I'm talking about, but basic courtesy with a slight touch of generosity, like I've explained.

Help only those who seek it

Have you asked help in recruitment like ( Hey can anyone help me LVL up in such and such ) or just expect it.

I have received mountains of help and i help also if i see someone in need.

You can't go in to a restaurant and not order any food and expect to leave fed.

On 2018-10-17 at 5:01 AM, Nepelwerfer said:

I'm just curious, where's this "generosity" that people talked about.

Something that comes at random, never calculated, expected or owed.  The random guy that gave you 20$ when you were out of gas on a highway? Random, never calculated nor owed.

It will come when it does, if it ever does.

Just yesterday the host in arbitration died (was an oops moment of irl distraction, can happen to any of us) but he was ready to stick around for the full ABC rotation even though he died mid-B on defense. That is a long time to waste for strangers with no reward. We didn't do that to him, we all chose to leave at end of rotation B. 

I would say that host was a very generous guy. He also stopped casting max range cataclysm so the map wouldn't take forever (we had a Gara using shield as cc plus giving us the 90% Dr, when we weren't invis from my Octavia). Definite mvp saving us from host migration and speeding up map maybe to his detriment. 

Plenty of awesome people in this game. Also some bad apples, but it'd be unrealistic to expect otherwise. 

I don't expect generosity, but I recognize it when it's there. I also try my best to also be nice and generous when I can and when I'm not in a bad mood. I would never expect free things and I think just giving people things instead of helping them hunt for them is bad and teaches them nothing. Advice is always helpful too if asked for. 

OP sounds entitled IMHO. 

A couple of years ago I started my entire clan around the idea of "players helping players".  NO ONE was a simple number, everyone had a name, everyone helped and knew each other.
Monthly plat and Prime give aways with contests, entire discord chats dedicated to sharing learned info, anyone could ask anything and share anything they had found or learned along the way. It was highly encouraged.
Everyone was free to ask for help, no matter how small the request.
Members of the clan would even just give sets away to each other because they got paid, popped a prime access and just felt like spending the extra plat they had on friends within the clan.
Sometimes simple things go unsaid. I'll max my gear and not say a word, just ask when everyone wants to leave and if I should tag anything while we run through waves.  I could just #*!% off, but if I'm carrying a couple low MR players, might as well stay and make the grind a little easier on them.
And yeah, I'm going to toot my own horn here, during tennocon this year alone I held a giveaway of 3 skin packs costing me nearly 1.5K plat. Just because people couldn't go or afford the digital ticket and I wanted some members of the community to feel appreciated

In even REGION chat I see players helping players all the time with questions, concerns, confusions or even just offering to taxi and hang out with low MR players to give them a leg up with mats.

The difference here is that you yourself even stated you've been around for half a year. In that time, if you're not being very social or in the right types of communities, you're not really going to see it.

Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not literally everywhere.

45 minutes ago, RetroNomad said:

Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not literally everywhere.

That's essentially it in a nutshell. Obviously not everyone's going to be automatically giving away stuff and sometimes (at least from my experience) there will be those in public missions you'll come across people who are less then agreeable and most being indifferent. It's usually best to just go in expecting nothing and doing you're best. At the very least from what I understand of other games it's certainly less toxic then others for no other reason, although there are others, that everyone has gone through the grind and know the effort involved in progression.

Personally I think this is because it makes it easier for themselves if others had good set ups for their frames and gear so there is a degree of self interest but it is there, just don't expect everyone to be as invested in it.

Edited by Cuchullin

Am 17.10.2018 um 10:43 schrieb Nepelwerfer:

A few cases of generosity may motivate a certain few to do some kind acts along the way, like how I'd go all the way to even wave 20 in Hydron even though my weapon is already maxed at wave 10 

I am curious. Do you mean this serious or is this supposed to be some kind of sarcasm?

The most I do is give useful basic mods such as Serration, Hornet Strike, Vigor, Hell's Chamber, etc maybe a handful of prime parts if the set isn't worth much. I also run all the radiant relics I get from ESO in public matches and occasionally help newer players complete missions.

Do I gift stuff or give plat? Nope.PNG (not that I haven't but I don't do that normally) I will give advice on how to acquire your own platinum and avoid bad deals. Sometimes the best gift is knowledge. Think of it this way rather than be given 1000 plat you could learn how to earn your own and not need to depend on gifts. Maybe that's just my logic but that's how I see it, granted I know they likely wouldn't share my sentiment.

Edited by --Councilor_Vay_Hek--

• 1 month later...

Helpful and Generous are different things and I guess the Op wanted more help when he had in a weak stage on a harder map. Nobody likes if they let alone with a bad gear or unranked gear so I can see that thing but the geenrosity is different.

Anyway I know this thread is a month old but just added my thoughts on it. Hope the op will find generous or helpful peoples.

On 2018-10-17 at 3:43 AM, Nepelwerfer said:

Every other day I see threads about people being gifted expensive stuffs, being helped by others etc, but I've never had anyone doing any of that for me, instead I get calculative people who leave at Hydron (and Helene, the orokin cell farming alternative of Hydron) wave 5 without helping others get to wave 10 to level their weapons to max, and people trying to rip every single plat from me.

How generous is this community actually? A few cases of generosity may motivate a certain few to do some kind acts along the way, like how I'd go all the way to even wave 20 in Hydron even though my weapon is already maxed at wave 10 because they will need the affinity from extra mobs AND affinity buff from having all 4 players together, but seeing how most people I met treat everyone else as mere tools, I have lost faith in this community.

Compared to other communities, WFs is a blessing in comparison. There is good and bad in every single community that has ever existed. You seem to have just met the bad ones. 

If you don't see enough generosity in Warframe then give more yourself, whether it's giving away Mods or Prime parts you don't need.

One of my favourite parts of the game is helping newer players with hard missions and helping them get their next Warframe.

Hello. Greedy, elitist mr25 here. I have definitely never had random people repeatedly message me begging for plat. I am definitely Smaug sitting atop an unfathomable hoard of treasure, and I grind my butt off in trade chat just for the fun of it. I have definitely never ever spent any time helping newer players, and I've never gifted a single syandana or color palette or forma bundle or resource booster or piles and piles of mods that I did spend actual time grinding for the express purpose of giving out again. I've never purposely carried in a mission, or spent hours teaching people how to mod, how to do spies, how to farm this or that... Nope. I never donate my time or effort or gear to others. Ever. I'm just a greedy, elitist poophead. 

🙂

Funny thing about it: if someone asks for help, and I'm not in the middle of a mission, I give it. If someone demands help, seems to expect me to give them my time right that second, or thinks that I have nothing better to do than hand over valuables and plat... They tend to not get as much help from me. 

Don't take generosity for granted. Don't expect it. Don't demand it. Be a good team player, try your hardest, donate your time to other people, and you just might find a random item sitting in your inbox someday. Go into the game with such a crappy attitude, and absolutely nobody will lift a finger to help you. If you never engage with other people and give to them first, then how can you expect good things to come back to you? 

You ask where the generous warframe players are... You should at least be able to point to one: yourself. If you can't do that, then start there. Be the change you want to see, and all that.