Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Progression

(PSN)zentensu

Ok, so now that Warframe is out on the Nintendo Switch. We REALLY need to have cross progression. crossplay isn't AS important as cross progression. Cross progression IS possible on PS4 Xbox One and PC Smite is going to do it! They are working on it right now along with cross-play, This is a system that Warframe needs to have. It would make it so that players can start on the PS4/Xbox and then when/if they get a PC start on the PC and not have to start all over from scratch. It would also make the switch version a LOT better for people that already have Warframe, they would be able to play it on their console of choice, then when they have to leave or go somewhere they can keep playing it on the switch. There is NO reason to not implement this system into the game. Thoughts everyone? If we want this system to be put in place we need to make sure the Devs know.

Edited by (PS4)zentensu

9 hours ago, (PS4)zentensu said:

There is NO reason to not implement this system into the game.

Consoles and PC are on different versions.

A new game offering Microsoft and Sony cross-save or no access to their players at all has more bargaining power than an existing game wanting to offer players a way of leaving their platforms and never giving them money ever again.

10 hours ago, (PS4)zentensu said:

There is NO reason to not implement this system into the game.

A. PC and Console are gonna be on different versions more often than not

B. Platinum and Tennogen work completely different between Console and PC and they can't let you carry them over between platforms along with rivens and probably the same restrictions in place for the PC to Switch migration.

This is a system that Warframe needs to have.

For 5 years now, Warframe is on the PS4.
So far everything went well without cross-progress.
Please explain, why we need it now.

It would make it so that players can start on the PS4/Xbox and then when/if they get a PC start on the PC and not have to start all over from scratch.

And why would Microsoft and Sony want you to leave their platform?
If you have to start from scratch, you are more likely to stay on your starting platform. That's way more interesting for Microsoft and Sony. (And even Nintendo as of the Switch release)
And they are the ones that have the saying in this.

It would also make the switch version a LOT better for people that already have Warframe, they would be able to play it on their console of choice, then when they have to leave or go somewhere they can keep playing it on the switch.

I mean... you can do that right now.
Just play on the Switch. Play on the Switch when you are home. Play on the Switch when you go somewhere. No need for cross-progress. Just play on the Switch.

If we want this system to be put in place we need to make sure the Devs know.

I don't want it to happen.
DE would have to slow down updates for PC. I don't want that to happen. I want the updates when they are ready. I don't want to wait for the console-builds to keep up.

10 hours ago, Aheael said:

It all depends on the demand of the playerbase. Look at Epic Games, Psoynix  and the sort. The demand in Warframe is VERY low in comparison to the other two games.

it's exactly this reason that we should start trying to get the demand to be there. because it IS possible to do it, the demand just needs to be there for it to be done. sony is slowly opening up to crossplay and cross progression. final fantasy online has cross-play with PC, and I THANK cross progression. Smite as I said is working towards full crossplay and cross progression for ps4, xbox1, switch and pc and if memory is correct should be done by the end of this year or the end of January.  The demand for it just needs to grow so the devs know that we want it. According to an article i found today by GameSpot Epic will be sharing its cross-play tech for Fortnight to other devs for free. This IS possible, the demand just needs to be there for it to get done. 

22 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Just because 1 developer is doing it doesn’t mean every other one can/should.

it does mean it can be done though. its also not just one developer, I just used that as an example, other developers that are doing it.

square enix- they have final fantasy 14 that is cross-play with pc, and I believe cross progression (i could be wrong with cross progression)

Epic- they have fortnight which is cross-play between all systems and PC AND they are offering their tech for cross-play to other devs for FREE

Hi-rez - this example has been stated, but it should be stressed that this one is both cross play and cross progression. 

Sony is not as closed minded to cross-play and cross progression as they once were and are slowly opening up more to it. 

Edited by (PS4)zentensu
wording change.

10 hours ago, Neightrix said:

Not sure why anyone is hating on this suggestion. Steve said they'd like to do this. It has more to do with making it possible than it being a bad idea.

I feel most of the backlash is due to two reasons.

1. People don't like the idea of sharing the game with other consoles and PC

2. PC players don't want the patches slow down. Even though it would only be a slow down for the first few months while the devs get used to having to work on one patch for all systems, not 4 different patches for 4 different systems. In fact, in the long run, patches might actually speed up, due to them being able to pull the entire patching team together to work on one single patch.

the biggest reason why WF will never get crossplay IMHO is simply this...

Sony, Microsoft, nintendo all want a cut of the microtransaction sales which on console is exclusively plat (as well as prime access). If crossplay/cross trading was allowed you could buy plat on the system of your choice and use it on another. so unless MTX's are platform locked I think it'll never happen. 

Edited by Fire2box

4 hours ago, (PS4)zentensu said:

This IS possible, the demand just needs to be there for it to get done. 

It is possible, because these examples, you gave, don't update their game the way DE does.
DE patches the PC version whenever they feel like doing so. This can't be done for consoles because of the cert-process.
And for the Switch there is another company that makes the build for that console.
So if we had cross-progress, and DE wanted to bring us a Hotfix, they would need to wait for Microsoft and Sony, they would have to wait for the company that makes the Switch build and for Nintendo.

So just imagine there is a bug, that deletes stuff from your account in a way, DE couldn't restore these items. These items would be gone forever. You couldn't do anything about that. You would have to buy your skins again etc.
DE wanted to fix that bug, but they would have to wait weeks for all the other companies to finish their part.
Sounds awesome, right?

What you don't understand, is the fact, that PC tests everything for you consoles.
Not a single one of you would still play on console, if you had to deal with bugs we have to deal with from time to time.
With cross-progress we couldn't test anything for you anymore.

5 hours ago, (PS4)zentensu said:

it's exactly this reason that we should start trying to get the demand to be there. because it IS possible to do it, the demand just needs to be there for it to be done. sony is slowly opening up to crossplay and cross progression. final fantasy online has cross-play with PC, and I THANK cross progression. Smite as I said is working towards full crossplay and cross progression for ps4, xbox1, switch and pc and if memory is correct should be done by the end of this year or the end of January.  The demand for it just needs to grow so the devs know that we want it. According to an article i found today by GameSpot Epic will be sharing its cross-play tech for Fortnight to other devs for free. This IS possible, the demand just needs to be there for it to get done. 

True enough, I definitely support you on this front. I personally believe the reason cross play demand is so low is because the game is so heavily PvE oriented. Even on that note, there isn't enough competition within the PvE environment in terms of clan vs clan, or climb to get better gear and content first and so on

Edited by Aheael

Sure, I agree that DE would love it to get less money.

75% discount on PC = 4300 plat for 50 bucks. Carrying 4300 plat to console. Waiting for 75% discount on console to buy from the market.

That's one of the biggest issues I see here. You can't change this easily. Also Tennogen won't be Plat only on PC because then Tennogen would be dead (In case you don't know the Developer of these skins get a cut). Tennogen will never be for cash on Consoles because it's a steam extension and DE would violate the terms (Steam also gets a cut of sold Tennogen)

it does mean it can be done though. its also not just one developer, I just used that as an example, other developers that are doing it.

square enix- they have final fantasy 14 that is cross-play with pc, and I believe cross progression (i could be wrong with cross progression)

Epic- they have fortnight which is cross-play between all systems and PC AND they are offering their tech for cross-play to other devs for FREE

Hi-rez - this example has been stated, but it should be stressed that this one is both cross play and cross progression. 

Sony is not as closed minded to cross-play and cross progression as they once were and are slowly opening up more to it. 

So basically a lot of other much bigger developers/publishers are doing it...that doesn't mean a small dev like DE can.

9 hours ago, (PS4)zentensu said:

2. PC players don't want the patches slow down. Even though it would only be a slow down for the first few months while the devs get used to having to work on one patch for all systems, not 4 different patches for 4 different systems. In fact, in the long run, patches might actually speed up, due to them being able to pull the entire patching team together to work on one single patch.

And everything would get much, much worse!
PC is a testbed for updates.  We catch a majority of the bugs before they reach consoles.  For instance: When ghouls first launched the inbox message crashed a large number of players...and this was fixed in hours.  The problem with having it on consoles?  All patches must go through certification which takes days.  This would leave the game completely unplayable for days.  That is a lot worse than the current situation

Further patches would not speed up, only be slowed down.
DE gives patches to the PC as soon as they are ready...now they have to develop the patch for PC, port it to consoles, then wait for it to go through patch certification, again a process that takes days, before being able to give it to everyone at the same time.  And they would have to do this for every patch that fixes a major bug that comes with the larger updates!
This would effectively kill the game right there.

Finally this would seriously mess with Tennogen.
In case you aren't aware: Tennogen is offered for cash only on PCs where the creators of the content, DE and Steam take a cut of the sales.  In order to offer tennogen on consoles DE has to buy the rights to sell it from the creator, and possibly steam, and offer it on the PS4/Xbox/Switch market for plat.  The tennogen creators only get a lump sum from the consoles, not a cut every time someone buys one of their items.
If they allowed cross progression what would stop PC players from buying tennogen with Plat?  Meaning that tennogen creators would be getting less money, meaning that less people would be willing to spend a lot of time creating good things for tennogen.
This would essentially kill of tennogen as it would suddenly become much less attractive to creators.