The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframes with personalities

JackHargreav

So after the "Sacrifice" quest and these Moa modules I got this idea. Why not give our warframes more personality? I mean It would be really neat if we would see our favorite frame doing something in the orbiter while we would be in tenno form instead of you know, being a statue.

Could you imagine just walking around and see Valkyar as she scratching the wall with her claws for fun? Alright that was a strong example but you get the point.

Maybe in the form of a mini quest we could get some module that removes the "lockdown" or whatever. I dunno. DE could make money from It even. Surely It would take time to develop something like this but why not?

il y a 5 minutes, stormy505 a dit :

The whole reason they have tenno to control the flesh dolls is that they would go wild without transference.

Yeah but there is Umbra. If he can move around shoot stuff while we are not in controll then there is a posibility that we can repelase our frames to some extent.

Edited by JackHargreav

Umbra was made specifically to torture, in a particularly bad way, someone that went against Ballas. Normal frames no longer have anything like that left besides the basic "feel" of how the frame moves and hold weapons.

The frames already have personalities to a degree. The Umbra line is limited, though. Not everything will have the same mechanic as Excal Umbra and wanting everything to have it diminishes the interesting aspect of Excal Umbra.

• Like 1

Still waiting for Umbra Shawzin. 

Seriously, though (I were totally serious about the Shawzin, btw), I think this is where Umbras come in. My speculation is, every Umbra will get a backstory, wherefrom DE could draw the personally expressed in their respective trope and animation. Now if they could implement free-roam quirks, oh boy would I love that.

But having a personality implies a degree of free thought / will...and frames have none...apart from Umbra. While Umbra can act independently, he doesn't exhibit anything I would call a personality.

I wouldn't be against Umbra being given some unique actions or animations, while we're in Operator mode, to indicate some sort of independent thought process is going on. I don't think it would be right for all frames to have this though.

But they do have personalities, you see it everytime you play them. Octavia is an example, she's spunky, loves music likes to dance, but also the operators personality, yours, is also given to the frame you're in.

Every warframe does something different when you idle, that's them being themselves.

After all, though, the operator is its mind.

Edited by xzilania
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xzilania said:

But they do have personalities, you see it everytime you play them. Octavia is an example, she's spunky, loves music likes to dance, but also the operators personality, yours, is also given to the frame you're in.

Every warframe does something different when you idle, that's them being themselves.

After all, though, the operator is its mind.

You obviously see something I don't. One frame having a particular quirk doesn't translate to ALL frames having them.

Also the Operator is entirely separate...a sentient human with their own personality...temporarily given to frames while they are in control. Not the same thing as frames having their own.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

Frames do have minds, but perhaps with a degree of suppression. Ballas states that the Zariman kids had enough basic empathy to "take away its pain" which means that the frames probably do retain personalities (yes, even 3D-printed people have personalities: basic neurology at work here) which are suppressed through either transference of precepts which are overridden in extreme situations such as those when the stalker had the operator by the neck while your warframe pulled out War out of its chest on its own, much to both Hunhow's and Stalker's surprise. If they knew that warframes did really have at least some personhood left in them, Stalker would've snapped the Operator's neck without dilly-dallying and without Hunhow egging him on through the sword-embedded radio. Instead, the Operator's frame acts on its own accord to pull out the sword (personality repression precepts overriden by extreme situation, most likely) because at that point in time chair-independent and contactless transference is impossible.

Umbra is a very special case (read as: #*!% you toga man), but I have no doubt that all the other frames have minds in them that still persist, but with a greater degree of repression, or simply stasis, which is more likely, as umbra is vulnerable when autonomous, while any other of your warframes is invulnerable while the player is in operator mode, which means that it might be coated in some kind of void-shell that suppresses the flow of time and thereby damage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evilChair said:

Frames do have minds, but perhaps with a degree of suppression. Ballas states that the Zariman kids had enough basic empathy to "take away its pain" which means that the frames probably do retain personalities (yes, even 3D-printed people have personalities: basic neurology at work here) which are suppressed through either transference of precepts which are overridden in extreme situations such as those when the stalker had the operator by the neck while your warframe pulled out War out of its chest on its own, much to both Hunhow's and Stalker's surprise. If they knew that warframes did really have at least some personhood left in them, Stalker would've snapped the Operator's neck without dilly-dallying and without Hunhow egging him on through the sword-embedded radio. Instead, the Operator's frame acts on its own accord to pull out the sword (personality repression precepts overriden by extreme situation, most likely) because at that point in time chair-independent and contactless transference is impossible.

Umbra is a very special case (read as: #*!% you toga man), but I have no doubt that all the other frames have minds in them that still persist, but with a greater degree of repression, or simply stasis, which is more likely, as umbra is vulnerable when autonomous, while any other of your warframes is invulnerable while the player is in operator mode, which means that it might be coated in some kind of void-shell that suppresses the flow of time and thereby damage.

My theory is that Umbras were the "beta" 'frames, back when they thought they could command or control them w/o Tenno. Ballas might have intentionally picked people that ticked him off, but I think they were still expected to have some sort of personal agency.

After that, I figure the Orokin picked "volunteers" whose psychological reaction to what had been done to them was to become catatonic. Aware, but trapped in their minds unable to act outside of extreme circumstances.

Though I do sorta wonder about all those After the Fall-type lore stories that mentioned Warframes (Like the Ancient Healer Simaris codex, or the stories for Gara and Titania.) Even after the Second Dream I thought they might be Tenno that were never put to stasis, but now I wonder if they were in fact Tenno-less Warframes acting on their own.

hace 14 horas, peterc3 dijo:

Umbra was made specifically to torture, in a particularly bad way, someone that went against Ballas. Normal frames no longer have anything like that left besides the basic "feel" of how the frame moves and hold weapons.

The frames already have personalities to a degree. The Umbra line is limited, though. Not everything will have the same mechanic as Excal Umbra and wanting everything to have it diminishes the interesting aspect of Excal Umbra.

umbra for starters was just a chineese version of excal prime, and its clearly implied all warframes were made in the exact same way as umbra. so all warframes have personalities and memories, umbra got left with a memory to torture him, but they usually supress everything inside normal warframes