Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Wisp a little too much?

Worm4real

Beauty (or lack thereof) is in the eye of the beholder.

When enough people are attracted to and pleased by the same (or similar enough) things, these things generally become associated with the feelings they evoke.

Large, curvaceous butts and thighs are one of these things that are associated with sexual attraction, because enough people are excited by these traits (or just think they're attractive).

Large, curvaceous butts and thighs swaying rhythmically and strategically placed center-screen? I'm sure these people would call it sexy or sexualized. Over-sexualized? Maybe not, when compared to other games and media out there. But when compared to the animations of previous warframes, the behavior is now clearly "in your face." Unless it's perceived as a natural way for a character to be moving.

In that case, it just comes down to the rules of warframe's world regarding movement (which we know to be exaggerated).

DE seems to be moving toward full embrace of this community's love for fanservice, which will probably bring them down a path that is lined with exaggerated, overly-sexual animations that most likely will end up on female 'frames with proportions that do these animations justice. And of course, some would think this is great while others will beg to differ.

Call us (or just me) prudish and old fashioned, but there are a few people out there who think there actually is a grey, fuzzy (and pretty subjective) line separating "sexy killing machine" from "this is too in-my-face-sexy."

I used the phrase "in your face" instead of "blatant" (or some similar word) because I thought it'd be more fitting for the situation.

22 minutes ago, (PS4)FunkyTown_76 said:

So this would be a great excuse for them to give us a setting to scale camera distance in and out yes? That would surely fix the complaints right?

A better suggestion might be to simply not use the 'frame, rather than adding a "zoom out until you can't see it" option. Unfortunately, discussions of this nature ultimately boil down to the "principle of the thing."

Do I want to play a game whose developers will continue to create and implement animations like Wisp's? Can I look past those aspects of the game and continue to play?

Just like: Do I want to support a company whose business policies I am opposed to?

This is an interesting turning point in the visual aspect of the game. It's my personal hope that DE doesn't make characters like this to be the norm, and does bring the fanservice down a notch. I'd like them to continue making 'frames with varied body types and walking/idle animations, but to keep these animations from becoming overly sexual (a rather subjective measure, I know). In the end, all we can do is wait and see if they tweak the animation and dial back on the fanservice, or decide not to.

2 hours ago, (PS4)FunkyTown_76 said:

This is a video game built on art, any visuals are rooted in art. In nature females are visually more curvy, sexy, and appealing than men. This is nothing new, sexist or even remotely controversial. Why be offended at a fictional character, with no feet, that sways as she floats through the air.  This is silly af.

Im not, im annoyed there are no males who get to be fabulous.

12 hours ago, Gurpgork said:

I'm kinda with you on this. I largely appreciate Warframe for being generally gender expansive, but then they still bring out these designs that are super hetero, male gaze kinds of designs. One minute, I'm absolutely ecstatic, and the next, I'm announcing with a heavy heart that the straights are at it again. I wish that they would make more female Warframes that were just bizarre and freaky looking.  

Like, c'mon. It's 2019. The Shape of Water won multiple Oscars. Grotesque monsters are sexy now. 

I would rather have my warframes be good looking than ugly, no thanks

• Like 2

I don’t mind frames being curvy at all, i think it adds to their character. It’s also a mature game, so if the devs have “mature” ideas about how they make their game, they should be allowed to do so. 

With that said, I did think the swaying of Wisps run animation was a little too much. I think the swaying/swimming animation as an idea is great considering she has no feet, but I feel they should tone it down like 30% and it’ll look more natural. Just don’t make it painfully obvious and it’ll be fine. 

Edited by MacAaroni

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but, you realize her "walking"/"sprinting" animations show her moving almost like a fish in water; well guess what, the major muscles used for that movement (for humans, and thus warframes) is the glutes or in other words her butt. So, it makes total sense for her to have a big butt as she is constantly using those muscles instead of her thighs and calves.

Whether you like it or not is your opinion and that's fine, but there is actually some logic in the design.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

You can actually, there are dozens of “fabulous” aka feminine idle animations you can place on male frames. Wisp just happens to be the first frame that DE is trying a custom run animation on, so that’s why no one else has one. And her run animation makes sense for her since she has no feet. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they started to allow you to place run animations on any character. Have some patience, this is a first time thing. 

Edited by MacAaroni

4 hours ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

And I don't think anyone disagrees with you. As I've said. I'm fine as long as the design is unique and creative (and a floating alien-nomad looking Warframe with their feet eroded away definitely is unique).

But do keep in mind that most people won't care about a sexy male frame, while the opposite is true for a sexy female frame, so there never will be a 50/50 split. Many people including me pointed out Nezha deluxe as an example of a design that doesn't cater to straight men, and while it's one of a few examples, it's also a pretty recent addition to the game so it's reasonable to think that more designs like that will get added to the game. Rome wasn't built in one day, right?

instead of being happy that we get nice looking frame designs....... why would u even care so much about the assets of a character thats only humane in general body shape ? we have had such characters since always. saryn is still chest prime and i guess whisp will be booty prime, so what ? look at garuda or khora, rhino or vauban and nezha deluxe skin. dont tell me thats not an argument because it is and whisp actually only has her booty because her upper area is quite modest so in terms of "balance" i guess it makes sense too.

• Like 2

Well, I'm really late to the party here, but my reaction is this: many of the warframes have idealized butts and/or massive codpieces; sexiness and comic-book-bodies are pretty common things. I don't mind that.

However, with Wisp, I have two problems: one, I don't want to watch her ass shimmy every time I'm moving around, especially with the "Whoomp here's my butt" viewpoint. S#&$ got old by the end of the gif I saw on Twitter. Two, the "special animation" looks really bad. Like, it's just plain dumb-looking.

DE doesn't really change paths easily, but as it stands, Wisp's "special movement" means I'll get the mastery points and never use her again, because I find it unpleasant to watch.

5 minutes ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

one, I don't want to watch her ass shimmy every time I'm moving around, especially with the "Whoomp here's my butt" viewpoint. S#&$ got old by the end of the gif I saw on Twitter.

Setting FoV to minimum will likely place the posterior at the very bottom of your screen, if not out of sight. You also have several longer syandanas available to you that may also help to hide the sway.

Seems a bit too early to deem her mastery fodder because you dislike her style when we don't know how certain things will affect her.

• Like 2

Just now, DeMonkey said:

Setting FoV to minimum will likely place the posterior at the very bottom of your screen, if not out of sight. You also have several longer syandanas available to you that may also help to hide the sway.

Seems a bit too early to deem her mastery fodder because you dislike her style when we don't know how certain things will affect her.

These are good points. However, if I end up looking at a shimmy every time I use her, I'm gonna relegate her to the hangar. I'm not saying she's mastery fodder in general -- I'm saying that I'd choose not to use her after extracting the mastery points, because (all other things being equal) I don't like the visuals.