Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The new mele system is just a nerf, at least for me

(XBOX)W Braveheart W

This new mele system has been nothing but trouble for me since it landed on xbox (I wish I could move to pc). Part of this might be because of the terrible controller support, but that still counts as a problem.

1) exodia contaigion requiring aimgliding is genuinely terrible for me. part of this is becuase with the current setup, there is no way to aimglide with a mele weapon as the active weapon in your hand. If you go to aimglide, then mele to throw the contagion, it throws one, and pulls out the mele weapon. from then on the aimglide button is the mele channeling button, which cannot be reconfigured, meaning you have to swap back and fourth between weapons to even throw contagion now.

2) i have tried everything. with the controller setup, it is impossible to aimglide with a mele as your active weapon. excluding exodia, this is still inconvenient

3) quick mele is now gone of course. this is a problem because all of the mele combos in the game lock your character movement down in one place. There were stances in the game that allowed you to sprint while using quick mele. Personally, I just think all of the spam combos should not inhibit player movement. the loss of being able to sprint while meleing is crushing

4) with the loss of quick mele, meleing will put any gear in your hand away. this is so frustrating when I am in fortuna, mining or hunting or fishing, and I used to be able to mele to avoid putting the gear away. now there is no way to deal with enemies that spawn on your head without pulling gear out over and over.

I have no problem with this new mele system, but i hate the way it pushed old functionality out of the way. I would like to see fixes for aimgliding with mele, and an option to turn quick mele back on in the menu. at the very least look at the way that button maps are on controller now, becuase now that they are moved around, it is objectively worse (freaking channeling).

Yeah the loss of quickmelee is definitely a nerf for me. As you mentioned i have to keep re-equipping any gear like synthesis scanners as soon as i swing at any enemies attacking, but also because secondary fire for my primaries doesnt work while the melee is "equipped". That totally ruins my zenith playstyle making me fire off my gun before being able to swapfire modes instantly like i need in some case

7 hours ago, (XB1)W Braveheart W said:

1) exodia contaigion requiring aimgliding is genuinely terrible for me. part of this is becuase with the current setup, there is no way to aimglide with a mele weapon as the active weapon in your hand. If you go to aimglide, then mele to throw the contagion, it throws one, and pulls out the mele weapon. from then on the aimglide button is the mele channeling button, which cannot be reconfigured, meaning you have to swap back and fourth between weapons to even throw contagion now. 

Exodia contagion require bullet jump or double jump. Not aim gliding.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, (XB1)W Braveheart W said:

2) i have tried everything. with the controller setup, it is impossible to aimglide with a mele as your active weapon. excluding exodia, this is still inconvenient

4) with the loss of quick mele, meleing will put any gear in your hand away. this is so frustrating when I am in fortuna, mining or hunting or fishing, and I used to be able to mele to avoid putting the gear away. now there is no way to deal with enemies that spawn on your head without pulling gear out over and over.

I have (somehow) managed to remap my controller so that channel is on the right stick click, but goodness knows how I did it as I totally agree the controller mapping screen is “erratic “ to say the least. I think it was a combination of resetting controls to default and starting again along with sheer bloody minded persistence. However, it can be done 😊

Aimgliding with melee does seem to be gone, as is wall latching, which I agree feels to be a step backwards. 

And to add to your quick melee point the simple act of smashing a container now means firing of aiming has to be added to the action to get your gun back. 

I am curious as to how console users thought about the melee changes. When it first hit the PC build, the forums got flooded with all the enormous problems that the new system had and how it's a massive downgrade from what we used to get.

I wonder - were you guys glad that you still had a few more weeks of the old melee system, or was it more like sitting on a train track with all your arms and legs broken, watching the oncoming doom and being utterly helpless to stop it.

5 hours ago, (XB1)Ubern00ber88 said:

Exodia contagion require bullet jump or double jump. Not aim gliding.

This changed as part of Melee 3.0 Phase 1.

Now you need to do a Melee attack while aimgliding.

It's such a PITA to fire off now I kind of wish it'd get buffed back to its pre-nerf state. It's by far one of the hardest Melee Arcanes to get & now it both sucks to use & does decent to subpar damage.

Edited by (PS4)Zero_029

38 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

This changed as part of Melee 3.0 Phase 1.

Now you need to do a Melee attack while aimgliding.

It's such a PITA to fire off now I kind of wish it'd get buffed back to its pre-nerf state. It's by far one of the hardest Melee Arcanes to get & now it both sucks to use & does decent to subpar damage.

Just checked on this and noted. Kinda glad that I don't throw the thing every time now. Got tired of killing myself just trying to slice enemies.

As for OPs problem my channeling is defaulted to clicking the right stick and does not channel when using the aim glide button, it just swaps back to whichever gun I was using and considering how seamless that is it is a nonissue for me at least.

New Melee is the work of GOD. (bad english incoming, sorry)

On PS4, Exodia contagion = Double jump / Aimbutton + meleebutton.  (don't hold, quick tap)

Way better.

Now you choose when to shoot the projectile. I stopped killing myself.

The CHANNELING LOCK, you don't need to hold L3. 

(push the button) LOCK, Destroy everything, (push the button)Unlock, go away.

I spent a few hours to master. But now, the things i can do... i'm impressed.

edit:

I posted a video with examples (non monetized, i'm not a youtuber).

The end of the video is about choosing the right place for your gear.

https://youtu.be/m3SvbZqGLfY

Edited by (PS4)Navalhabr
i uploaded a video with examples
  • Like 1

On 2019-03-24 at 6:52 AM, DoomFruit said:

I am curious as to how console users thought about the melee changes. When it first hit the PC build, the forums got flooded with all the enormous problems that the new system had and how it's a massive downgrade from what we used to get.

I wonder - were you guys glad that you still had a few more weeks of the old melee system, or was it more like sitting on a train track with all your arms and legs broken, watching the oncoming doom and being utterly helpless to stop it.

As soon as I heard their plans, I was filled with dread.
As soon as I saw them demonstrate their new melee, I shuddered.

I posted my concerns on the boards, and on the "Dev stream questions" threads to hopefully get some concerns noticed. They went unnoticed, or ignored.
I knew my way of playing was coming to an end (quick melee, not spin2win), so I tried to enjoy melee combat as much as I could before the changes.

As soon as I heard the first reports from PC players, my expectations were confirmed.

On every console stream when they mentioned the patch was coming "soon", I made sure they knew I'd like them to wait as long as possible... and perhaps forget about giving us that patch if possible... yeah... that would have been nice.

As soon as I played it, I lost hope. The feel of the game changed from fun to play fluid melee combat, into:
* fighting against a choppy, stuttering, unintuitive mess where I stop quickly slashing my weapon to "pose" in a fancy slash... while hordes of enemies are still coming at me...
* that interrupts what i want to do, assuming for me, what I want to do, (like forcing me to switch to guns and junk I don't want to do)
* dropping my scanner, drill or fishing spear for my gun, dropping carried objects like power cells.

So, yes, to both. Glad I had a few more weeks... and watching the oncoming doom and being utterly helpless to stop it.