Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aim Glide is Ruining Exalted Weapon Warframes

Flex238

Was playing Valkyr today in ESO. I use an infinite Hysteria build, it is active all the time and that's the way I like it. A teammate was downed on a catwalk below me, no problem I'll just hop down there and rez him, no need to go into operator mode, Hysteria will protect me and I can rez this person without issue. Well the catwalk is tiny and in order to not overshoot my landing I tap Aim Glide a couple times on the way down, I land right on target and begin rezzing... What I hadn't noticed was that Aim Glide had taken me out of Hysteria and I was a sitting duck... of course i died.

When you have a melee weapon active, Aim Gliding should not automatically equip your gun. We need to be able to Aim Glide with melee weapon in hand in order to block incoming fire and also land where we want to. Taking the away the ability to Aim Glide with a melee weapon is hindering us, not helping us. This is ruining the way we play melee and ruining the way we play frames with exalted melee weapons!

Is there a Stasis Chamber for frames? Because, I might as well put Valkyr, Wukong, Excalibur and Baruuk in ice.

1 hour ago, Flex238 said:

Is there a Stasis Chamber for frames? Because, I might as well put Valkyr, Wukong, Excalibur and Baruuk in ice.

Dry your tears and do a little more testing.

Now I have read all of your post, and seeing as how I play Excalibur a lot of the time, in fact I just beat Sortie 3 alone with him, and did all 3 yesterday with him, alone. I find there's no problems with Excalibur in this regard. I'm happily running around gunning things down with Snipetron Vandal at long distance and using Exalted Blade for everything in easy reach. It's been a good change to these abilities to be able to use other weapons without having to turn off the power, and back on when you need it again.

1 hour ago, Flex238 said:

A teammate was downed on a catwalk below me, Hysteria will protect me and I can rez this person without issue. I tap Aim Glide a couple times on the way down, I land right on target and begin rezzing... What I hadn't noticed was that Aim Glide had taken me out of Hysteria and I was a sitting duck... of course i died. 

I shortened your post a little in this quote to get straight to the point here. Valkyr is the only frame with Invulnerability with an exalted weapon, and with testing, if her Talons aren't equipped even with skill active, you're no longer invulnerable to damage, and will in fact die. Soon as you tap melee, your health is grayed out again.

That's the issue, and proper feedback should of been made to bring light on this issue.

It is exclusive to Valkyr too since none of the other frames are invulnerable to damage like Valkyr.

Edited by Alcatraz

17 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

It is exclusive to Valkyr too since none of the other frames are invulnerable to damage like Valkyr. 

This effects all frames! Taking away the ability to block while in aim glide hurts all frames and builds. Plus I can't think of a single instance where it is ever needed to switch between aim down sights and melee while in a single jump. I like the auto-swapping, they just need to remove the mechanic while in aim glide. It's pointless and only hinders play or forces us players to jump through hoops in order to play in a way that feels natural.

22 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

Dry your tears and do a little more testing.

...This is no place for attacking, belittling or condescending other players. We are all trying to make the game better and in a FEEDBACK forum there should be none of that nonsense here.

1 hour ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Just ground slam bro. Not only can you aim it really precisely, it is also way faster if you need to get down to the ground. If you still somehow manage to put your melee weapons away, just attack once with them and you have them back on.

Yes ground slam works and yes all you need to do is tap melee again, but these are extra steps we have to take in order to correct something that feels unnatural. It feels awkward and clumsy to have to do all these things, when aim glide worked perfectly before.

3 hours ago, Flex238 said:

This effects all frames! Taking away the ability to block while in aim glide hurts all frames and builds. Plus I can't think of a single instance where it is ever needed to switch between aim down sights and melee while in a single jump. I like the auto-swapping, they just need to remove the mechanic while in aim glide. It's pointless and only hinders play or forces us players to jump through hoops in order to play in a way that feels natural.

...This is no place for attacking, belittling or condescending other players. We are all trying to make the game better and in a FEEDBACK forum there should be none of that nonsense here.

u do know u can block manuly with melee out right?

Il y a 2 heures, (PS4)Spider_Enigma a dit :

u do know u can block manuly with melee out right?

I think there's something you missed here bud, and it's not just grammar class.

Blocking is now auto when melee is out and no longer manual, unless you don't have any Primary/Secondary equiped. This means that you can no longer Aim Glide with a melee weapon out. It switches to your primary/secondary weapon, meaning that Valkyr's Hysteria, which makes here invincible only when her Talons are out, won't protect you when you Aim Glide.

That's what Melee 2.99999997 brought us, and I personnaly do understand that it's pretty annoying not to be able to use damage reduction (either from Hysteria or the regular blocking DR you normaly had when Melee Gliding) that would normaly save your life.

Melee 2.9 really makes aim gliding annoying in the opposite way too. When you just want to fall but are getting shot, your melee will auto block shots and force you to glide.

I overall like the instant switching, but I think block should still be manual for the sake of practicality. Autoblocking also takes some of the fun away from being Luke Skywalker vs. Stormtroopers.

15 hours ago, Flex238 said:

If you feel attacked, maybe you should consider why his words hit a nerve with you.
He's right, after all.

10 hours ago, Aldain said:

I...have not had this problem and I play Excalibur to an unhealthy degree.
I honestly don't know why I'm having no issues with Melee 2.9 while so many others are.

I don't mean to belittle people's concerns; I hate when things get changed for "no" reason. The Ogris changes recently almost gave me a panic attack.
It's just that in this case, there was a very good reason.

Yeah, some of the changes are not great.
I agree with @NotDaijoubu that auto-blocking does take away some of the fun of blocking, for example.
It's all in service of the quick-switching gameplay that we're all enjoying now, though.
And anyway, how often did you really block, besides? Really?
I'm a founder and a six-year veteran, and I never knew until this update that you could block Ancient and Scorpion hooks. ( ゚Д゚)
But maybe that's just me.

Edited by auxy

2 minutes ago, auxy said:

I mean I blocked mostly for alternate combos (gotta love that Exalted Blade Block combo) but other than that I almost never had my melee weapon out because of the time it took to shift back and forth.

Ever since the update dropped though I've been having the time of my life, hell I actually hardcore invested in my Broken War with cosmetics, buying a stance mod, hell I even RENAMED IT just because how how much more fun it is to have access to the full combo options.

Most of the issues I see people legitimately having are coming from the other part of the 3.0 update, namely, some stance mods are PAINFUL to deal with because of wild/insane movement (Polearms were used for their quick attack mash rather than their actual stances for example) and that much I can understand as an issue.

But I cannot understand why manual blocking was such a big thing now, hell most of the recommendations I saw before 2.9 dropped was to turn on the toggle for it because having to hold it often was a pain. Block-glide also confuses me because it was literally Aim-glide but with a Melee weapon, the only legit thing I can see is how some of the Exalted weapons have this disconnect because of the system.

2 minutes ago, Aldain said:

I mean I blocked mostly for alternate combos (gotta love that Exalted Blade Block combo)

You can still do those with aim, of course. (´・ω・)
Also, for anyone reading this who doesn't know, Channeling is still in the game!

19 minutes ago, auxy said:

I spent more time blocking than not blocking. From a melee-only standpoint, there wasn't a whole lot of reason to not block for me. 

DR and knockdown blocking, block gliding, cool animation and off the top of my head, no downsides for doing so.

Personally, the overall nerf to blocking for the sake of "ease of use" kinda irks me, as I found it much easier to use previously and it was objectively superior to current blocking. Not only has blocking had it's effectiveness reduced overall, but it's lost an entire mechanic as well (block gliding). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

No one remembers this line, tucked away in the patch notes...

Very interesting! I read the patch notes fairly religiously and even I didn't recall that change.
I probably overlooked it due to simply not using blocking very much.

Do you know what the old angle was? I tried to use the wiki's change history but it seems it wasn't listed there before.

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

I don't, no. If I were to guess however, based on what it felt like it was most likely 90 degrees, perhaps a bit more.

It was pretty wide.  I would even say that it was larger than 90 degrees.  Somewhere between 90 and 180 depending on weapon and situation.  

2 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

It was pretty wide.  I would even say that it was larger than 90 degrees.  Somewhere between 90 and 180 depending on weapon and situation.  

Indeed. Often felt like enemies could be almost next to be and still get blocked. But 180 would be ludicrous.