Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why is the Wolf's drop table so large?

(XBOX)KayAitch

So, 3 weeks or so to go and I've fought the Wolf 4 times. I've scanned him and can now see the drop table in the codex and WTF?

I guess that explains why every time I defeat him I get an 'uncommon' mod that I already have 20 of.

He has a lot of drops, which put him up with Regor for the number of times you have to defeat him to get a specific uncommon, which is crazy. I had to grind Regor for hours to get Equinox, and while the Wolf Sledge only has only 4 parts it's impossible to grind him.

I mean, to stand a decent chance of getting all the Wolf Sledge parts you need to kill him about 40 times. Even if they double the chance of him appearing most players are only going to have seen him about 10 times by the end of the event.

So why?

Is this something players are supposed to trade (like archwing weapon parts) - if so most players aren't even going to get enough parts for dupes.

Is there going to be a battle we can choose to repeat at the end of the event? That would make the drop table make sense.

Or is he going to start turning up in every mission towards the end of the event?

18 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

getting all the Wolf Sledge parts you need to kill him about 40 times.

Took me 13 kills to do it (got 2x head but traded one for handle so i guess it counts)

19 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Is there going to be a battle we can choose to repeat at the end of the event?

I rly hope so cause just found out about the wolf mask (another 2% chance crap)

The parts for the hammer are tradable. We dont know what DE has planned but I can freely say that at the current state the wolf is not even worth farming due to extremely small chances of appearing and small chances to get what the player wants. I personally placed this on hold to see what they will do with the Wolf, I do want to have a node like any other assassination mission to farm him but that may not happen. And even without the wolf sledge I can live without it Im not willing to spend hundreds of hours on mission running to hope he spawns and when he spawns he drops something I want.

Also we are on episode 4 which means only 1 episode left that could potentially  be the ending episode of the nightwave which also makes it even more uncomfortable

Edited by AwkwardLazarow

It's a problem with the Wolf, his table is heavily diluted. It feels like he never drops the hammer parts, and it's mostly just Molten Impacts. Over and over.

I don't see why they didn't make the hammer parts in a secluded drop table, similar to how getting some bosses have divided loot pools, separating weapons/frame parts from the rest of their mods. As it is, Wolf does feel like a waste of time to try and farm, especially since there's no consistent way to get him to spawn aside from doing nodes over and over.

2 minutes ago, Raskolnikow said:

Took me 13 kills to do it (got 2x head but traded one for handle so i guess it counts)

That's crazy lucky, but RNG will be in everyone's favour sometimes. Someone probably got the sledge in 4 kills.

Average will be about 40, some unlucky players will be over 100. 

2 minutes ago, AwkwardLazarow said:

The parts for the hammer are tradable. 

Yeah, but with the current drop chance that's not going to make much of a difference. Most players are not going to have dupes to trade.

21 minutes ago, Obi-Juan.Kenobi said:

I don't see why they didn't make the hammer parts in a secluded drop table

That's kind of my question - the dilution of the drop table is deliberate. He's set up like a boss DE expect you to grind, but he's ungrindable.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

That's kind of my question - the dilution of the drop table is deliberate. He's set up like a boss DE expect you to grind, but he's ungrindable.

I think DEs not dumb, they know we hate unobtainable stuff 

We just gotta wait for the very ending i belive

(they screwed us with the "increase wolf spawns over time" tho)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Someone probably got the sledge in 4 kills.

Not trying to brag, but I am one of those players. 

But back on topic, there should be a way to make a guaranteed spawn for the wolf like stacking his death marks, capturing fugitives increases his spawn chance, a special daily/weekly mission that has the wolf in it, etc. 

Getting the wolf sledge without trading requires extreme luck, to give you a perspective on how stupid the multi layer RNG is I am the only one in a 1000 player moon clan who got The Wolf Sledge by killing the wolf and stop putting useless mods in his drop table. It’s very frustrating that you spend more than 5 minutes killing him and got blessed with molten impact, not to mention his ridiculously low spawn chance in missions.

I propose that killing him rewards a lot of nightwave standing (I’d say around 5-10k) and probably a reasonable amount of credits and endo because we are hunting a very dangerous criminal and probably the grineer put a bounty on him, so killing him will be worth it.

4 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

I propose that killing him rewards a lot of nightwave standing (I’d say around 5-10k) 

Yeah, it's a bit weird that his minions are worth 50 rep each, but he's worth nowt.

He's either really badly thought out, or there's an event coming at the end where you fight him loads.

The drop raw drop tables ( https://n8k6e2y6.ssl.hwcdn.net/repos/hnfvc0o3jnfvc873njb03enrf56.html ) seem to indicate that the table isn't actually diluted, just low:

100% chance for a mod (split that up however between all the possible mods he drops)

Separate 35% chance for a sledge piece to appear:
- 38.72% handle
- 38.72% head
- 11.28% blueprint
- 11.28% motor

Separate 2% chance for the mask

Getting a mod doesn't preclude seeing a sledge piece or the mask, and I'd imagine folks just overlook the mod appearing when they get a sledge piece since those are super notable, and the mods aren't notable at all. It's not inaccurate to say something like the handle has an overall drop chance of 13.552%, but that also doesn't tell the whole story since they're different tables/rolls.

That said, the overall droprate has felt really demoralizing with bad luck - I'm something like 15 - 20 wolf kills in at this point and I have yet to see a single sledge piece 😞 

2 hours ago, shieldb said:

The drop raw drop tables ( https://n8k6e2y6.ssl.hwcdn.net/repos/hnfvc0o3jnfvc873njb03enrf56.html ) seem to indicate that the table isn't actually diluted, just low:

100% chance for a mod (split that up however between all the possible mods he drops)

Separate 35% chance for a sledge piece to appear:
- 38.72% handle
- 38.72% head
- 11.28% blueprint
- 11.28% motor

Separate 2% chance for the mask

Getting a mod doesn't preclude seeing a sledge piece or the mask, and I'd imagine folks just overlook the mod appearing when they get a sledge piece since those are super notable, and the mods aren't notable at all. It's not inaccurate to say something like the handle has an overall drop chance of 13.552%, but that also doesn't tell the whole story since they're different tables/rolls.

That said, the overall droprate has felt really demoralizing with bad luck - I'm something like 15 - 20 wolf kills in at this point and I have yet to see a single sledge piece 😞 

But thats like super new

When i last checked it some time ago it was like 2% for bp/motor and 4% for head/handle + was mixed in with other rewards

It can have even 100% for a Sledge part, doesnt matter if he doesnt want to spawn in mission XD

25 minutes ago, Raskolnikow said:

But thats like super new

When i last checked it some time ago it was like 2% for bp/motor and 4% for head/handle + was mixed in with other rewards

It can have even 100% for a Sledge part, doesnt matter if he doesnt want to spawn in mission XD

I mean, it's still only a 13.5% chance for handle and head and 4% for the motor/BP, so if it has improved, it's not by much.

I'm still hoping we get a node near the end of the event that will let us have a guaranteed fight with the Woof. At least let us eliminate that part of the RNG.

13 hours ago, Gawizard said:

Thinning out drops through rng is a nice way to time gate content

Yes, but this is time gated content anyway. In a few weeks the Wolf is gone and we have the next Nightwave.

The Wolf is built like grind-boss, like an enemy designed to be fought over and over, but is a rare random encounter most players will see fewer than 10 times.

It doesn't add up.

12 hours ago, shieldb said:

I hadn't gone and checked the actual drop tables (I generally try to avoid looking backstage like that) but cheers and it doesn't make any difference - as you've experienced: we just don't fight him often enough to get the parts.

It's comparable to the Brakk (which took me about 2 years) and the Detron (which I have about 5 barrels for but still don't have a final part) but with no ability to summon him, no time to grind him and a lower drop chance.

On 2019-04-10 at 10:40 PM, Obi-Juan.Kenobi said:

It's a problem with the Wolf, his table is heavily diluted. It feels like he never drops the hammer parts, and it's mostly just Molten Impacts. Over and over.

I don't see why they didn't make the hammer parts in a secluded drop table, similar to how getting some bosses have divided loot pools, separating weapons/frame parts from the rest of their mods. As it is, Wolf does feel like a waste of time to try and farm, especially since there's no consistent way to get him to spawn aside from doing nodes over and over.

This isn't true. The Wolf has two separate possible loot drops. He has a 100% chance of dropping a mod, and a 42% chance of dropping either resources, the Wolf mask, the Sledge BP, or a Sledge component. The mod drop is independent of his sledge drop, so a silver mod dropping doesn't actually affect your chances of getting a Sledge bit.

The only thing 'diluting' his Sledge drop table is the resource drop, which has only a 5% chance of happening.

Edited by MJ12

It's very, very hard for me to believe that an actual, sentient, thinking human person looked at the state of the wolf and thought "this is fine". 

Sometimes I'd really love to get into the minds of DE, because I'm so genuinely curious as to what motivates some of these seemingly insane decisions. 

34 minutes ago, Yousho said:

It's very, very hard for me to believe that an actual, sentient, thinking human person looked at the state of the wolf and thought "this is fine". 

Sometimes I'd really love to get into the minds of DE, because I'm so genuinely curious as to what motivates some of these seemingly insane decisions. 

Given the Nightwave episodes talking about the Wolf and his association with the Amalgams, I'm actually suspecting that the Wolf himself is likely to become the equivalent of the Infested Juggernaut but for Gas City missions. If he gets a 100% chance to spawn upon meeting a mission condition, his drop rates make a lot more sense.

This would make his current appearances basically just a bonus preview which lets some really lucky people get an early Wolf Sledge. In that case, his drop table seems like it's mostly fine. If he's intended to be a limited-time event boss, though, that's where we have problems.

Edited by MJ12
  • Like 1

The only reasonable explanation is that he's going to be grind-able at the end of this. That's all I can possibly imagine. Also, why isn't his drop pool diluted with mods that aren't trash? Like seriously, there's literally nothing else but the hammer parts that's rewarding about fighting him. 

Speaking of which, why is he not worth Nightwave Standing?! He's incredibly difficult to kill and he has unkillable minions that make the fight even more unpleasant. It feels like we're not getting rewarded at all for beating him.