The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to avoid scams?

Oriade

On 2019-06-19 at 9:13 AM, Oriade said:

I recently read a forum post on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/230410/discussions/0/1742227264189077980/

where a guy claims his friend was banned for selling something to a scammer who got his platinum against the TOS.

I have only traded like once or twice, but was unaware about this weird logic from DE. 

If someone somehow gets platinum against TOS (whatever that means) and then uses that platinum to buy something, the seller gets banned?

How is one able to ever know that someones platinum is legit? 

I have accumulated a bunch of rivens that I want to sell, but so far was just to lazy to do it.Now, I don´t know if I even dare to trade. 

So, how to avoid scams?  

Everyone makes a way bigger deal of it than it is.  If you're incorrectly banned DE is likely to unban you.  I've been trading for years and have never come across any unlegit plat.  It's rare and not worth worrying about.  Just don't spend plat right away if it's that big a concern.

10 hours ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

Great, I was about to buy the next PA, but I don't like how they handle this.. what should I do now?

You're on console. I don't recall seeing tell of any console players who are affected by this particular issue. Basically our system is more robust, as trying to make fraudulent purchases through our game stores, is going to be a lot easier to track, and punish by banning the account, and the system used to commit the fraud. 

A hundred bucks worth of dirty plat isn't going to cover the cost of buying new consoles each time. 

So, I guess what you do now is "keep playing the game because this issue is a non-issue for us". 

Any trading can lead to account blocking. Since any player can have black platinum. And the developers will ban you. And most importantly, they will demand money for that platinum. DE can punish only honest players, as they value accounts.

You blocked my friend, because of this attitude, our clan leaves the game.

2 hours ago, Netrit said:

-Snip-

Just be careful not to accept offers that seem too good to be true and you should be fine. Keep enough plat on your account to make up for any trading you do just to be certain if something crazy does happen you dont get locked out.

2 hours ago, Netrit said:

Any trading can lead to account blocking. Since any player can have black platinum. And the developers will ban you. And most importantly, they will demand money for that platinum. DE can punish only honest players, as they value accounts.

I mean... you only talked about few things, and left out stuff...
Yes, DE will take platinum away if the source of this platinum wasn't legit.
If an account gets a negative platinum balance because of the removal, then the account will get banned.
In order to get the ban lifted, you need to buy platinum.

So maybe don't trade and spend all the platinum immediately. Wait 1 or 2 weeks before spending it.

There are other things you can do. But I don't have interest in talking about all of them. And you seem to not want to listen to them. Atleast that's what I'm getting from your post.

The vast majority of trades work as intended, by people willing to exchange items for platinum or other items. A large number of trades that go wrong because of bad plat are reported in the forums (often seeking solutions that the forums cannot provide) so you can wrongfully conclude that it's a huge problem when in reality it isn't such a big problem, at least for the vast majority of the player base.

You can take some steps to minimize the risk of bad trades. One is to always keep a balance of platinum on your account and to leave the newly acquired (through trades) platinum untouched for some time. Usually a few weeks is enough. Another one is to check to profiles of the people you trade with: newly created accounts, especially with weird names, pose a much higher trade risk compared to others who have played the game hundreds or even thousands of hours. A third one is to learn about prices of items, such as prime parts or rivens (check warframe market for example). Prices that go way too high are suspicious and should be treated with extreme caution. A fourth one is to conduct trades in relatively small plat amounts, e.g. a prime part here and there, a few ayatan tresures and so on. A large number of transactions reduces the overall risk of having your account suspended.

Last, but not least, record the trades you make (e.g. take screenshots)

On 2019-06-24 at 10:31 AM, Netrit said:

They will demand because you have content nobody payed for, not even you, you can however ask them to remove the content you purchased (note that some items that apply instantly like catalysts or boosters can't be removed)

You have to understand the system is in place to avoid exploits and it's not just charged back platinum, sometimes the platinum itself is actually legit, but falls outside the code of trading that is implemented, it may be sold, it may have belonged to a user that was careless with account credentials and suport needs to undo these transactions and remove platinum that is involved in real money trading.

Your friend was affected because he purchased something, 100 minus 100 will be 0. My sugestion for the future is to leave the platinum stay in the account for sometime, instead of using it right away.

Ask him to contact support, they will likely offer him ways to decrease the value.

I also point out that we cannot help him out, nor should we, we have no clue on what he did, he may be a victim or not, we don't know. contact support.

The trades that happen on a daily basis are many, cases like these are very rare.

Edited by KIREEK

38 минут назад, WhiteMarker сказал:

I mean... you only talked about few things, and left out stuff...
Yes, DE will take platinum away if the source of this platinum wasn't legit.
If an account gets a negative platinum balance because of the removal, then the account will get banned.
In order to get the ban lifted, you need to buy platinum.

So maybe don't trade and spend all the platinum immediately. Wait 1 or 2 weeks before spending it.

There are other things you can do. But I don't have interest in talking about all of them. And you seem to not want to listen to them. Atleast that's what I'm getting from your post.

Account locked due to a transaction that occurred a year ago. I would have to wait a long time.

1 minute ago, Netrit said:

Account locked due to a transaction that occurred a year ago. I would have to wait a long time.

Yeah, sorry if I don't believe this kind of stuff. Sorry, but only support knows all the details about these matters. So I don't buy forum posts.

And no system is perfect.
Do you want DE to stop the removal of this kind plat?
Then I could just make another account, buy platinum and gift it to my main account. Then I do a charge back. The new account surely will get banned for that, but the main account will be fine. And I will end up with platinum I never payed for.
I'm basically stealing from DE. Why would anyone ever pay for platinum again? Or in other words: How will DE pay their bills?

Thanks for some clarification, but the timing of transactions is not important. A friend was banned because of a deal that happened a year ago. Taking pictures and storing them is also very difficult. It turns out that I need to save a huge amount of screenshots. Not the fact that they will have value.

1 hour ago, Netrit said:

DE can punish only honest players, as they value accounts.

And THAT is the crux of your problem. Until DE can punish dishonest players by causing damage to something they value, this problem remains. Your only safe option is to make sure YOU'RE the one that's using the platinum. If you're doing the WTS, than that means that you aren't in any real danger of account blocking. Alternatively, you can do a WTT, or just work out your own system where you can get the items you want without using the trade chat.

9 minutes ago, Netrit said:

Thanks for some clarification, but the timing of transactions is not important. A friend was banned because of a deal that happened a year ago. Taking pictures and storing them is also very difficult. It turns out that I need to save a huge amount of screenshots. Not the fact that they will have value.

I understand what you're sayign, i once had to report a transaction for a primed chamber that happened 2 years ago or so, DE had to undo a few things, accounts, platinum and items were permanently lost and players probably felt exactly as your friend, unaware of what happened because it happened so long ago.

5 минут назад, WhiteMarker сказал:

Yeah, sorry if I don't believe this kind of stuff. Sorry, but only support knows all the details about these matters. So I don't buy forum posts.

And no system is perfect.
Do you want DE to stop the removal of this kind plat?
Then I could just make another account, buy platinum and gift it to my main account. Then I do a charge back. The new account surely will get banned for that, but the main account will be fine. And I will end up with platinum I never payed for.
I'm basically stealing from DE. Why would anyone ever pay for platinum again? Or in other words: How will DE pay their bills?

I do not make you believe, I said it as it is.

In your opinion, it turns out that DE punish only the end user. Since such platinum can go through many hands and they will not be banned. And the starter bot, created to enter platinum, is not needed by anyone. The guilty are not punished, ordinary players suffer.

The system is not perfect, so improve it. Ban the trade, help the players. Some do not know about such platinum. But this DE will not work, because it is an important part of the game that keeps many in the game.
I understand you, I hope this will not happen to you, although the chances are extremely high. Good luck to you.

2 minutes ago, Netrit said:

In your opinion, it turns out that DE punish only the end user. Since such platinum can go through many hands and they will not be banned. And the starter bot, created to enter platinum, is not needed by anyone. The guilty are not punished, ordinary players suffer.

well, do you have any suggestions on how to actually punish those who broke the rules?

7 minutes ago, Netrit said:

The system is not perfect, so improve it. Ban the trade, help the players.

And what does that mean?
As you said it yourself, banning the bot at the beginning of the line won't do much. And somehow they have to remove the platinum. Otherwise things happened as I described, and no people will stop paying for plat altogether.

9 minutes ago, Netrit said:

Some do not know about such platinum.

I mean, how do these problems described in this thread start?
Someone buys platinum from a third party site and not from DE. They pay on that site, and get platinum traded to them in the game.
Then the seller does a charge back, so he doesn't have to pay for the plat.
That's the most common way how illegal platinum finds its way into the game.

How do we prevent this from happening? Maybe people should start using their damn mind? If the official site charges a specific amount for platinum, then why would any other site charge way less?
If Apple charges 1.5k dollars for their new iPhone, why would you go and buy if for 500 dollars in another shop? Do people actually believe that this would be legit?

So as it was already asked: How would you improve the system in a way that can't be exploited? If you believe it is easy to come up with a solution, then present it to us. Maybe DE will implement it.

12 минут назад, DeckChairVonBananaCamel сказал:

well, do you have any suggestions on how to actually punish those who broke the rules?

I do not work in de. Is it difficult to offer something, but to block and extort money is it fair?

9 минут назад, WhiteMarker сказал:

And what does that mean?
As you said it yourself, banning the bot at the beginning of the line won't do much. And somehow they have to remove the platinum. Otherwise things happened as I described, and no people will stop paying for plat altogether.

I mean, how do these problems described in this thread start?
Someone buys platinum from a third party site and not from DE. They pay on that site, and get platinum traded to them in the game.
Then the seller does a charge back, so he doesn't have to pay for the plat.
That's the most common way how illegal platinum finds its way into the game.

How do we prevent this from happening? Maybe people should start using their damn mind? If the official site charges a specific amount for platinum, then why would any other site charge way less?
If Apple charges 1.5k dollars for their new iPhone, why would you go and buy if for 500 dollars in another shop? Do people actually believe that this would be legit?

So as it was already asked: How would you improve the system in a way that can't be exploited? If you believe it is easy to come up with a solution, then present it to us. Maybe DE will implement it.

So, in order to draw attention to the prohibition system curve, it is necessary to propose its improvements. So?

Good. You can make access to trade with 10 rank. Make the authorization system tied to a mobile phone. And for those who refuse, they simply tighten trade restrictions, for example, no more than 50 platinum per day.
Create a level of honesty players to see, this person has made many deals and can be trusted. Do temporary things, platinum will have a verification period. You can buy a weapon or warframe, and they will have the symbol "Temporary". After verification, the system will decide automatically. If platinum is good, then the item will remain and its course will be saved, otherwise it will be canceled. and will not need to ban.
There are many options and they are much more humane than the current ones.

Moved here, symbolically, given that the DE can be viewed as a scam. After all, they are blackmailed by the game.
If they appreciated the players, they would have made the system much more reliable. And they only minimized financial damage by spitting on the community. The only thing that keeps the game from failures is its distribution system. Good luck to everyone, I do not recommend this game.

49 minutes ago, Netrit said:

Moved here, symbolically, given that the DE can be viewed as a scam. After all, they are blackmailed by the game.
If they appreciated the players, they would have made the system much more reliable. And they only minimized financial damage by spitting on the community. The only thing that keeps the game from failures is its distribution system. Good luck to everyone, I do not recommend this game.

Ok, bye. Because here's the thing, as far as I know, your buddy might have been trying to do something illegal. All we have is the word of a third party, who doesn't know what was going on, and is saying really silly things because they aren't getting their way. 

The system is highly reliable, and people contact support to contest false flags and do get the bans reversed. 

Instead of going that route, what have you and your buddy chosen to do? Oh right, throw a tantrum in a place where none of us is going to be able to help you, trying to get others on your side, accusing the company of underhanded tactics, and generally making ridiculous threats to leave? 

So do yourself a favour and just stop. Tell your buddy to contact support, or quit, or do whatever the heck they want to do. Because what you are doing is ridiculous.