Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Teshin needs to be introduced in some other way

Kaotyke

He REALLY needs to.

Some players dont even look at Conclave and comes ''Natah" and go "Who is this... sassy, mushroom hatted, old fart?"

And in TWW, Teshin declares that he trained us... "Is this guy going senile? I never went to his Conclave."

He needs to have some relevance outside of PvP and Quest. Something to actually justify him calling us pupils.

Maybe have him introduce himself at the begining and teach the players the more advanced manuvers and Mods and Combinations, instead of being an obscure part of the PvP.

Make him a tutorial NPC.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

"Who is this... sassy, mushroom hatted, old fart?"

Exactly my reaction! I thought I missed an operation or something. Yes, Teshin needs a better introduction, cause, to this day, I still don't know who the heck he is, just that he shows up every now and then and acts like we've known each other for a lifetime.

• Like 2

i will note that in universe/storywise, Teshin already is a tutorial NPC - Conclave itself is a Tutorial on Sentients long before we encountered Sentients. there to train us for what he knew was coming in the future.

that is all i wanted to bring to this conversation. *waves*

6 hours ago, taiiat said:

i will note that in universe/storywise, Teshin already is a tutorial NPC - Conclave itself is a Tutorial on Sentients long before we encountered Sentients. there to train us for what he knew was coming in the future.

that is all i wanted to bring to this conversation. *waves*

YAGpXPd.png

I agree with this. Honestly if nothing else, Teshin should be the one issuing us our Mastery Rank tests, not the Lotus. If Teshin is truly the one who is training us, then it should be him testing our ability. The Lotus already knows what we are capable of, and to have her giving us these tests, especially after [a particular point in the story] seems oddly absurd.

Just have him give us a small shpiel about who he is and why he's important at the onset of the MR1 / 2 and maybe 3 tests. Have him comment on our growth as his pupil the higher in MR rank we go. Have him make some vague commentary about how he's training us for the future or something when we complete a test. Having him pop up and puff himself up suddenly as "you totally know me, I trained you!" in a quest gained over half-way through the chart when he's never approached us before is a real "??? excuse me creeper man?" moment.

• Like 4

Warframe is filled with gigantic gaps on their lore that defies all logic because of two reasons:

1- DE is just really, really, really bad at writing a cohesive and coherent story. 90% of what every character talk is in that Yoda-esque enigmatic tone just so that they can justify retcnonning anything they said previously. As in, it is 90% empty words that don't matter and maybe 10% of actual story telling.

2- DE used to progress a good chunk of the story via events that are long dead AND LITERALLY DIDN'T APPLY IT TO THE BASE GAME AS QUESTS TO BE MADE BY PEOPLE WHO DIDNT PLAY THE GAME YEARS AGO. Just take a look at stuff like Operation Criotic Front, The whole Balor Formorian thing blowing up Relays and such. Literally the entirety of the lore regarding Alad V. EVERYTHING is disconnected from each other. When you first arrive to defeat Alad V the Lotus begin to talk about all his feats and you're just left around guessing. Then, during all the following quests the only thing the player can think of is: wait, aren't you dead? Didn't I kill you way back in Jupiter? - And goes on like this and it will probably never change.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

He REALLY needs to.

Some players dont even look at Conclave and comes ''Natah" and go "Who is this... sassy, mushroom hatted, old fart?"

And in TWW, Teshin declares that he trained us... "Is this guy going senile? I never went to his Conclave."

He needs to have some relevance outside of PvP and Quest. Something to actually justify him calling us pupils.

Maybe have him introduce himself at the begining and teach the players the more advanced manuvers and Mods and Combinations, instead of being an obscure part of the PvP.

Make him a tutorial NPC.

I saw him in the relays before, but just took it in context to mean that he trained us before our stint in cryosleep and I'd forgotten. (Just like I'd forgotten everything else apparently.) 

That's the impression that I had, anyway. 

10 hours ago, taiiat said:

The problem is that the Conclave is also PvP, so most people don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Giving him an introduction BEFORE he becomes a major player would be nice... Although not introducing anyone, not establishing any foundation and not doing any worldbuilding before just pulling random plot twists out of a hat is something of a signature narrative device of this game.

1 hour ago, Steel_Rook said:

The problem is that the Conclave is also PvP, so most people don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Giving him an introduction BEFORE he becomes a major player would be nice... Although not introducing anyone, not establishing any foundation and not doing any worldbuilding before just pulling random plot twists out of a hat is something of a signature narrative device of this game.

not to mention how there is any hint that players should take The Conclave as any sort of tutorial. I only knew about the existance of PVP in this game after 150 hours and way after TSD

2 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

not establishing any foundation and not doing any worldbuilding before just pulling random plot twists out of a hat is something of a signature narrative device of this game.

the story definitely made more sense if one played from the start and participated in everything along the way - the bygone Events of old and all of those additions one after another did create a story, but that's lost to anyone that looks at things today.
alas.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, taiiat said:

the story definitely made more sense if one played from the start and participated in everything along the way - the bygone Events of old and all of those additions one after another did create a story, but that's lost to anyone that looks at things today.
alas.

I assume so 🙂 But my introduction to the game consisted of being shown a guy with chicken legs and a sunflower head who beats up his own men, goes to a tomb and straps a potato to the leg of what looks like a humanoid beetle. I'm then given control of that beetle thing, start receiving messages from a woman with a toaster oven on her head and have jargon thrown at me which sounds like it came out of a Dr. Seuss book. It wasn't until dozens of hours in that I got even some fundamental grasp of what the hell is going on, largely through reading Cephalon Fragment texts. It probably took me 600 hours before I realised that the "Orbiter" is not the same thing as the "Landing Craft," the former being a large capital ship and the latter effectively a flying coffin with no internal space.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Warframe is "#*!%ING WEIRD," I believe is the proper term. Despite this, it does absolutely zero world-building on which players can stand to even begin to understand the story and history of the setting. Being present for events might help, but events only fill in specific details. There's still nothing to fill in the broad strokes of the story. Not even something as simple as "Hey, the Grineer are human!"

• Like 3

So I got into Warframe about a month before PoE launched and this was exactly my experience with Teshin. He shows up in Natah and starts acting like I should have some long deep seeded history with him and I am like "Sorry who the F--k are you again? Did I miss something in the last 60 hours I was supposed to see?" It wasn't until after I completed the War Within that I had even the foggiest idea of who this mushroom headed weirdo was or why I should give a rats arse about him and it wasn't until months after that I watched a youtube video breaking down the complete series of events from the Warframe timeline that are relevant to the events in the game and what is being referenced that I actually understood anything about Teshin, Alad V, Lotus, Hunhowe, the Orokin in general, Vor, and basiclly anything else that is relevant. Hell I still don't get why I should give a damn about Vey Heck or Thala Defame besides the fact that one of them is bat S#&$ crazy and wants to murder Cetus and the other is well equally bat S#&$ crazy and runs fight club on Sedna. 

Edited by TheKazz91
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, TheKazz91 said:

So I got into Warframe about a month before PoE launched and this was exactly my experience with Teshin. He shows up in Natah and starts acting like I should have some long deep seeded history with him and I am like "Sorry who the F--k are you again? Did I miss something in the last 60 hours I was supposed to see?" It wasn't until after I completed the War Within that I had even the foggiest idea of who this mushroom headed weirdo was or why I should give a rats arse about him and it wasn't until months after that I watched a youtube video breaking down the complete series of events from the Warframe timeline that are relevant to the events in the game and what is being referenced that I actually understood anything about Teshin, Alad V, Lotus, Hunhowe, the Orokin in general, Vor, and basiclly anything else that is relevant. Hell I still don't get why I should give a damn about Vey Heck or Thala Defame besides the fact that one of them is bat S#&$ crazy and wants to murder Cetus and the other is well equally bat S#&$ crazy and runs fight club on Sedna. 

This happens to anyone who didn't start playing the game after 2014/2015 and it only gets worse and worse over time. I seriously thought they would implement a "mini quest" chain after Operation Ambulas reborn because of the intricacies of the story and how you need some prep before fighting Ambulas aaaand they did the same as always.

Now what happens is, whenever I'm doing any mission on Neptune and Ambulas drop in all I can read in the chat is stuff like "wtf is this Ambulance robot" or "who is Frohd Beck?" and unfortunately all I can do is tell them to go read some pages of the wikia because its just too much to be explained.

• Like 1