The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player time gating

CuddlyTyrant

Well between all mastery tests or after failing one ? Because it tops at like 27 ish day to this date so a month to max rank is quite hard to realise unless you play a lot.

If its after failing a test you can practice them in simaris sanctuary on the right staircase.

Welcome to the forums tenno ^.^  

1 minute ago, Acersecomic said:

Don't be silly, potato seedling. Why rush when you can enjoy all the pleasures of being new and exploring?

It's not silly to want to be able to experiment with more weapons early on or advance quicker in a game that's been out a while. 

There is an answer to ease this situation a bit.

Head to any relay (like Larunda on Mercury), and Fast Travel to Cephalon Samaris.

Walk along the right wall, and there will be a sort of winding ramp.
All mastery rank tests are here to be practiced, to be sure you have a method for completing them.
You will only be able to practice the Next test, and past ones, but this helps quite a bit.

This way, you're able to make sure you have a strategy and loadout capable of taking on the test.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

As a new player, its extremely frustrating to have a 24 hr cooldown on mastery tests. I think the game would greatly benefit from lowering it to 6 hours or less for the first 10-15 mastery ranks. 

For a long time now I've been of the opinion that they should just change where the cooldown triggers on MR tests from "On Attempt" to "On Completion". Which means you could just take the test and infinite number of times until you passed it. 

The reason they have the cooldown is to prevent people from chewing through all of Warframes content in one or two days and changing where the cooldown kicks in both removed needless player frustration. Cause lets face it when you fail an MR test nine times out of ten it takes all of thirty seconds to reassess your build and the next go is a cakewalk..... As well as retaining the desired time gating effect so players can't complete multiple MR tests in the same day. 

It's a win/win for everyone involved. 

As for what to do with the current "practice" tests, since it would likely be more trouble to remove them from the game, just relable them "refresher courses" and leave them accessible through Simaris for those who actually want to retry a course for whatever reason. 

Tho ideas like this are usually met with a ton of super salty replies that essentially boil down to "This is how I did it and that's the way it should be done because tradition".

2 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

I just don't see the point in time gating the first 10 mastery ranks

Because you could get that done in just a few days. I could understand not having a lock on ranks one and two, but that’s about it. But, the restriction is there for a reason. 

• The first 10 ranks is far too many.

Make peace with your fate. You're not being delayed. Thing that will put you behind is not weapons or frames, but mods. Mods which will require endo and credits.
Make peace that Warframe is not a one-stop-shop like MMOs of today where you start the game at lvl 60.

Ahhh the good days where going from beginning to end was a journey and not a race. Young people these days.

I'm another new player like you, OP, and I, too was impatient about the test cooldown for the first few ranks.

About to hit MR7 now, and it's becoming pretty obvious that, short of playing 24/7, the required mastery points per level are already more of a time gate than a cooldown timer could ever be.

I think the cooldown exists more to deter you from blindly rushing into later tests than as a time gate for new players.  There are only a few early ranks where the point grind goes quickly enough to overtake the time gating. 

9 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

Time between tests and failing one. I just don't see the point in time gating the first 10 mastery ranks, especially with 24 hours. Sure, later on it doesnt matter because of the exponential growth but early on it shouldnt be time gated. 

See the thing there is pretty much the first 10 Mastery tests are essentially the only ones that technically "need" to be timegated. 

Once you push past the first 10 or so, it becomes very hard if not impossible to fill your MR bar within the existing 24hr cooldown. So I'd day it's essentially the opposite, if they drop the timegate period it would be after the first 10 or so tests and only then because the time it takes to gain the affinity required essentially fulfills the desired role of time gating the tests. 

That said, just changing where the gate triggers and everyone wins~

Edited by Oreades

14 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

As a new player, its extremely frustrating to have a 24 hr cooldown on mastery tests. I think the game would greatly benefit from lowering it to 6 hours or less for the first 10-15 mastery ranks. 

You can still keep getting Exp, It will all be added after you succed on the MR test.

10 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

Time between tests and failing one. I just don't see the point in time gating the first 10 mastery ranks, especially with 24 hours. Sure, later on it doesnt matter because of the exponential growth but early on it shouldnt be time gated. 

Its not explained anywhere in game but you can do trail runs of mastery tests at any relay before taking it for real.

Just now, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

You're supposed to practice before you try.

It's ok, I googled it for you. While you're waiting, your affinity still rolls over to the next rank.

I failed one when I started and didn't even run anything because I thought it would just be lost affinity lmao.

I did practice it. It's not a matter of failing and not being punished. Having a 6 hour timeout is reasonable. A full 24 hours is goofy and mobile game style gating. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)Quantaminum said:

Are we tho?

Last time I played, the game didn't make any effort to tell me I could practice tests.

The game may have been updated then, since the last time you played. When you go to the menu and click on mastery test to start, a prompt comes up and says if you fail it will be 24 hours, consider practicing at cephalon etc

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Quantaminum said:

Are we tho?

Last time I played, the game didn't make any effort to tell me I could practice tests.

I think it's a subtext in the MR test menu, That said if DE was serious about it it would be an actual button (that takes you to the practice test) in that menu not a blurb buried at the bottom that barely touches at the practice tests are a thing that exist. 

That said the practice tests IMHO are a bandaid that doesn't need to be there when there is a simpler and more elegant solution of just shifting where the cooldown triggers. 

Edited by Oreades

7 minutes ago, Kodo651 said:

I'm another new player like you, OP, and I, too was impatient about the test cooldown for the first few ranks.

About to hit MR7 now, and it's becoming pretty obvious that, short of playing 24/7, the required mastery points per level are already more of a time gate than a cooldown timer could ever be.

I think the cooldown exists more to deter you from blindly rushing into later tests than as a time gate for new players.  There are only a few early ranks where the point grind goes quickly enough to overtake the time gating. 

Right, I completely understand the later MRs are gonna be a play gate. And a 6 or even 8 hour cooldown would prevent most people from retesting in the same play session. As opposed to limiting it to once a day, and possibly worse depending on your play schedules. 

2 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

I did practice it. It's not a matter of failing and not being punished. Having a 6 hour timeout is reasonable. A full 24 hours is goofy and mobile game style gating. 

Your affinity will roll over either way. I'm sure you can find something to do until then. If you needed the MR for a specific weapon then you can use another one until tomorrow? Other wise you're only missing out on a loadout slot and void trade limit lol.

1 minute ago, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

Your affinity will roll over either way. I'm sure you can find something to do until then. If you needed the MR for a specific weapon then you can use another one until tomorrow? Other wise you're only missing out on a loadout slot and void trade limit lol.

Sure, but that doesnt make the time gate any less dumb.

3 minutes ago, Oreades said:

I think it's a subtext in the MR test menu, That said if DE was serious about it it would be an actual button (that takes you to the practice test) in that menu not a blurb buried at the bottom that barely touches at the practice tests are a thing that exist. 

That said the practice tests IMHO are a bandaid that doesn't need to be there when there is a simpler and more elegant solution of just shifting where the cooldown triggers. 

Even if they made it 6 hours....not having a practice test is kind of asinine, don't you think? You would have to make all your mistakes on the real test and you would a lot more people upset at multiple 6 hours waits instead of 1 24hour for an oops flub that probably wouldn't happen again.