Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player time gating

CuddlyTyrant

Wether the 24 hour wait after a failed attempt is a good idea or not, it was responsible for one of my favourite moments from this game.

Baro kteer had an Ignis I wanted to buy but I was only mastery rank 8, one rank away from the Mastery Rank requirement of the Ignis. 

I levelled everything I had on me and by the time I hit mastery rank 9  I only had one shot to get it before baro left. I actually messed up the test a little bit by flinging myself off the stage with a dagger combo, but I still passed.

Anyways, it might be annoying, but I kind of like the annoying parts of warframe. They really stick to an ethos of player investment of time and knowledge. 

Or maybe it’s Stockholm Syndrome, IDK☺️

1 hour ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

As a new player, its extremely frustrating to have a 24 hr cooldown on mastery tests. I think the game would greatly benefit from lowering it to 6 hours or less for the first 10-15 mastery ranks. 

Mastery tests have a cool down because you aren't supposed to rush. If you rush to the end, you get burnt out and leave. It's healthy for both the game and the player for you to slow down. 

There is also a 24 hour cool down on failure to prevent people from trying it over and over again until they succeed which is bad. If you can't pass a test on your first try then you haven't really passed it. 

21 minutes ago, (PS4)segulibanez65 said:

Well you did say "Earn your Rank", as if rank means anything in a game where progression and power are based on mod/arcane collections, not xp.

"Prove to me you've built and ranked 100 terrible pistols, thrown them in the trash, and are using a kitgun like everyone else" lol

Sorry, not trying to be a $&*^, I just loathe the MR system for some reason.  Its just so jarringly out of place in this type of game (though perfect for a f2p, so I get the intention... It was just a poor execution)

The "earn your rank" is just that. Everyone has to do it, so what makes new players so special they get to skip the learning part of the game because they're impatient? It's like crying you don't get to start at bowser in super mario, because others have beatn it. You miss out on valuable experience. Don't cheat. Earn it. You're not special. Play the game like everyone else or find a game that feeds your impatience.  

As for kit guns, I don't use them and straw manning your point is sad.  What do kitguns have to do with the subject at hand, Time gates? 

I don't care what your opinion is if your full of negativity. Calling unfair is just crying.

Edited by (XB1)Rust Plague

10 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

If you can't pass a test on your first try then you haven't really passed it. 

That's the kind of backwards thinking that got us where we are today. 

Where instead of going with a simple elegant solution that checks all the boxes they bent over backwards to implement practice tests.

10 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

There is also a 24 hour cool down on failure to prevent people from trying it over and over again until they succeed which is bad. 

And the reason I'm replying to these out of order is to highlight the irony. 

Because the practice tests negate not only the supposed "one and done or you don't deserve it" attitude but also whatever supposed "benefits" of preventing people from trying over and over until the succeed..... 

From reading this thread the only thing which seems to be clear (or between the lines) is I'm betting the OP wants to rank up for an OP weapon cos he wants to cheese the star chart asap and is pissed cos he failed a mastery test and it's holding him up, which frankly should tell you a lot about where you're at in the game and perhaps rushing things isn't the right time for you.

This whole "i have to be on the same level as everyone else even though i just started" nonsense, is just that, nonsense.

Normal players are doing other things than staring at a timer for their next rank, or y'know practising and not failing in the first place...

But, with all that being said I'm sure the job got completed that much quicker from coming onto the forums to have a rant 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oreades said:

That's the kind of backwards thinking that got us where we are today. 

Where instead of going with a simple elegant solution that checks all the boxes they bent over backwards to implement practice tests.

And the reason I'm replying to these out of order is to highlight the irony. 

Because the practice tests negate not only the supposed "one and done or you don't deserve it" attitude but also whatever supposed "benefits" of preventing people from trying over and over until the succeed..... 

Theres a difference between a practice test and an actual test. You can succeed on a practice test all day and nothing happens. But if you get lucky and succeed the actual test one time you are good. That's what I was saying.

If instead of practice tests and cooldowns they allowed you to run the actual test over and over again, you could just run through it repeatedly until you got lucky. Then you wouldn't have to learn anything. The practice tests are about teaching you the skills you need to succeed. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

Even if they made it 6 hours....not having a practice test is kind of asinine, don't you think? You would have to make all your mistakes on the real test and you would a lot more people upset at multiple 6 hours waits instead of 1 24hour for an oops flub that probably wouldn't happen again.

I actually winged all my tests. The mystery was pretty fun.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

The "earn your rank" is just that. Everyone has to do it, so what makes new players so special they get to skip the learning part of the game because they're impatient? It's like crying you don't get to start at bowser in super mario, because others have beatn it. You miss out on valuable experience. Don't cheat. Earn it. You're not special. Play the game like everyone else or find a game that feeds your impatience.  

As for kit guns, I don't use them and straw manning your point is sad.  What do kitguns have to do with the subject at hand, Time gates? 

I don't care what your opinion is if your full of negativity. Calling unfair is just crying.

I'm not going to argue this anymore as we are clearly looking at it from completely different perspectives: one of seeing some kind of value in it, and one of it being completely arbitrary to the function of the whole.  Btw, the joke quote was in the voice of the developer, not you... I assumed that was implied.

38 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

Theres a difference between a practice test and an actual test.

Is there? Is there really? Or are you just convincing yourself that there is? 

Cause I don't see any difference, all I see is a system that was needlessly over complicated to meet a belief that seems to be significantly more placebo than anything else. 

38 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

If instead of practice tests and cooldowns they allowed you to run the actual test over and over again, you could just run through it repeatedly until you got lucky. Then you wouldn't have to learn anything.

There seems to be some pervasive fear that "what if someone just gets lucky, they don't deserve it~" news flash even if they just passed the test by the skin of their teeth, they still passed the test. Maybe we should require all MR tests to be completed three times just to make sure that luck wasn't a factor *spoopy moosics*

And the assumption that people wouldn't have learned anything without the "on attempt" timegate or that knocking your face into the practice tests somehow embiggens the experience is laughable. 

The only thing that this current system does is prop up head canon and needlessly frustrate players, particularly new players and frankly that is the last thing any F2P game needs to be doing. Especially if they can retain the timegate in a way that achieves the goal of pacing people a bit while simultaneously removing the element of needless frustration from the mix.

But hey lets keep frustrating new players because this is important for the soul reason that I keep telling myself it's important. 

Edited by Oreades

New accounts are not leveling up mastery quickly in the first place.  A fresh account doesn't have the gear or access to planets to get the resources to build or power level easily.

As time goes on as you gather more stuff and unlock the star chart things get better.  Once you hit mastery rank 18. The other ranks don't matter.

2 hours ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

As a new player, its extremely frustrating to have a 24 hr cooldown on mastery tests. I think the game would greatly benefit from lowering it to 6 hours or less for the first 10-15 mastery ranks. 

By the time you hit Mastery Rank 5 - you won't even notice it. 

3 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

It tells you right when you apply for the test, that you can in fact practice it.

It only gives you the option to practice if you go to a relay and click on the console.  If you are anywhere else click start and select the flashing mastery rank test menu you are not given a menu to practice.

I only found out about the practice option or the room on relays at something like rank 14.  After failing multiple times and a youtube guide showed me the practice option.

Newer players are not given much guidance.

I still have no issues with there being a cd period.  Perhaps the first mastery test should force players to go to a relay so they can see the practice menu.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

It only gives you the option to practice if you go to a relay and click on the console.  If you are anywhere else click start and select the flashing mastery rank test menu you are not given a menu to practice.

I never said that it gives you a button to go to the relay, but, it 100% says: "You can practice the tests at the relays" right on the menu when you press to qualify to a test.

16 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

I never said that it gives you a button to go to the relay, but, it 100% says: "You can practice the tests at the relays" right on the menu when you press to qualify to a test.

When i was newer it never said that to me.  I only found out about the practice option months into playing.  So previous to that if i did a mastery test with a bad gear setup i was doomed.

Its not a problem to me though. Once you find you can practice and you gather the right gear each test can be cheesed.

And like i said new accounts won't have the stuff needed to fly through mastery ranks quickly anyhow.

3 hours ago, (PS4)segulibanez65 said:

I'm not going to argue this anymore as we are clearly looking at it from completely different perspectives: one of seeing some kind of value in it, and one of it being completely arbitrary to the function of the whole.  Btw, the joke quote was in the voice of the developer, not you... I assumed that was implied.

Learning how to play the game is not arbritrary... It's the point. You do yourself no favors by skipping over gameplay elements because you're impatient and are envious of others who have the shiny you are jealous of. It makes you a liability in modes team work and experience are essential. Ie. Eidolon hunts. This is an online multiplayer game......

Again, you're defending the side of the argument that's crying for a bfg and placement at the final boss with no idea what you're doing, while everyone else played and earned their way to the bfg and the final boss. But it's ok, because that's fair, for you to cheat ahead. We're also supposed to respect you as an equill in skill, because our skill is irrelevant. Keep that in mind next time you ask for help. Be mindfull who you're asking. Those of us vets don't know better than you new players..........

As for the kitgun quote, be more clear. It was obvious it was pointless. 

31 minutes ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

Learning how to play the game is not arbritrary... It's the point.

Literally taken care of by playing the game.... 

You do yourself no favors by skipping over gameplay elements because you're impatient and are envious of others who have the shiny 

What elements is anyone asking to skip over prey tell? Funny I don't seem to recall anyone saying anything about skipping out on the MR tests. Simply calling into question what if anything the cooldown timer as it stands brings to the game and how it can be improved. 

It makes you a liability in modes team work and experience are essential. Ie. Eidolon hunts. This is an online multiplayer game......

Hmmm *dusts off brain* can't say as I recall a single MR test that is relevant to the Eidolon hunts that is presented anywhere around the time new players would be injected into them. I mean there is the one Amp related test but that's somewhere in the 20s(?) long past the time new players would have dipped their toes into Eidolon hunts. But nice try at desperately trying to find relevance I guess? 

Hell the MR test for hacking is somewhere around lvl 3 or some such but I still regularly run into MR 26+ players who can't run a spy vault to save their lives so, yeah...... MR tests are totally relevant and reflect a players grasp of the game..... heccin not. 

Again, you're defending the side of the argument that's crying for a bfg and placement at the final boss with no idea what you're doing, while everyone else played and earned their way to the bfg and the final boss. But it's ok, because that's fair, for you to cheat ahead. We're also supposed to respect you as an equill in skill, because our skill is irrelevant. 

Oh hey a bunch of empty chest pounding, what's next gonna play the vet card?

32 minutes ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

Those of us vets don't know better than you new players..........

Oh....

(warning mild spoiler if you havent completed War Wtihin quest) Just got my first riven from completing war within, it's MR locked to level 8 and the weapon it applies to...MR locked to lvl 10. Tell me again how those time gates are useful and well thought out? I'm currently MR 7(trapped here for another 24 IRL hours) with about 100 hours in game, some of it grouped with friends carrying me. So, my first end game card isnt even usable until Im MR 10... So, Probably another 20 or so hours of MR leveling specific gameplay to unlock my guaranteed quest reward riven card as opposed to time spent playing how I WANT to play. The only salient point was the gate being targeted at preventing bots. This system was designed to slow progression at release, and should be reworked. Also, someone mentioned you could buy with plat any weapon, that is not true. You do NOT have access to those weapons until you reach the requisite MR. 

Edited by CuddlyTyrant