Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel missions

Fellas92

Not THE most difficult thing out there, but definitely very boring - I didn't grind for literally thousands of hours to just go back to not being able to kill anything.

What I did in the Survival was bring Inaros so I don't insta-die at the very least, spam Heavy Slam -> Super Heavy Slam with a big melee, and Devour when I had to Heal.

Honestly, my biggest issue with this game mode is that I already had no reason to use squishier frames, no make it so you have no energy, no damage and no survivability so that I feel even less inclined to use them. Hell, I didn't use anything other than Heavy Slam on a heavy blade - very mind numbing.

Me and a couple of friends were sure it was bugged at first because of how broken it seemed to be. Not fun, not terribly difficult, and most importantly cheese-able so even if the reward was wholly unique I couldn't care less as anyone could do it eventually.

• Like 2

This Grendel missions are hard. Yes, I like challenge. I like high level missions. I'm not gonna say it's impossible to be done.

BUT... It's too much for a challenge. It has a huge gap between the level 40-45 enemies and the warframes (with default stats; this also for the weapons), not at all in favor for solo players, hence forcing everyone to play in a squad in order to finish the mission. I felt a worse experience compared to me when I was a newbie once. I don't feel fun engaging a dozen of enemies spraying bullets to me at full power while being forced to survive them using equipments just with their base stats (which are crap). I'm disappointed with this.

Well, have tried to solo all the missions with different setups, so far only managed the excavation and that only thanks to Limbo.

In a way it's nice being reminded of how important all the mods, arcanes etc. are, but it is quite frustrating not having ANYTHING to fall back on (especially when soloing). Even tried the new kavat, but since it too is without any mods it can't revive me. So, will have to fall back on Nidus, Inaros and/or maybe Wisp.

What has surprised me most is that during the 15 or so missions, not once has there been another mission/player joining, or even "in action" on the starmap. It couldn't be that DE actually forces us to create squads through chat, now could it? After allowing "anyone" to randomly join trids, arbis, boss fights etc. etc. that would be a total and unexplainable suck. The other reason could of course be that the missions are so hard/horrible that no-one even tries to join up randomly...

16 minutes ago, Graavarg said:

What has surprised me most is that during the 15 or so missions, not once has there been another mission/player joining, or even "in action" on the starmap. It couldn't be that DE actually forces us to create squads through chat, now could it? After allowing "anyone" to randomly join trids, arbis, boss fights etc. etc. that would be a total and unexplainable suck. The other reason could of course be that the missions are so hard/horrible that no-one even tries to join up randomly...

The missions use keys and just like derelicts, public doesn't work.You pretty much have to find a squad in chat or find a solo method.

I would like to add my own opinion here though and say that even with a squad, this was some of the most boring (not frustrating) challenge content I can remember since starting this game. I like fast-paced fun and this is anything but. That and my fear of disconnects just went up.

I just watched an organized group of experienced veterans with voice chat and access to all frames and weapons struggle with these missions. What exactly do you think is going to happen with random PUG groups (recruited or otherwise)?  In addition to not being fun, these missions are going to create a lot of toxicity in the community. Considering all of the changes in this patch (CO rendered useless, catchmoon not far behind, unfun and too difficult missions in a "casual game," endless grind for requiem mods that are purchasable, new gambling system with tradeable lich weapons), DE needs to have a design meeting and seriously think about the direction they want this game to go. 

So hold on, I'm missing something here. To get Grendel, players need to run level 50 missions with no mods on anything? Like, I have to create a new loadout slot with no mods? Seriously? I used to joke about the Terra Corpus being an example of a development team completely giving up any effort in creating challenge by just giving all the enemies all of the things, but this? If true, this is quite literally a development team throwing their hands in the air, going "#*!% it! Our mods system is broken. The only way we can make challenging content is if we bar players from using it." That sends such a bad message across it's not even funny.

• Like 2

I can't wait for the prime time where Rebb and Megan try to farm Grendel. That's going to be some quality entertainment right there. I just tried to farm the survival solo as Nezha. Should not have been too bad but none of the enemies drop energy so there is no refreshing of his halo once you exhaust your initial energy. You probably should have thought about this modifier more when you have balanced the game around abilities/mods that give you healing and energy regeneration.

I will admit that it's a little tedious since enemies take longer to die, but I wouldn't call it hard. I did all three missions on the first try (with a gamepad I might add, since my hands were cramping), and my squad actually liked it and wish there was more gameplay like this. All you need is a well-coordinated team of warframes with good synergies and a strategy design specifically for the task. Basically how it used to be years ago in Warframe before power Creep meet us gods and too lazy to think and strategize.

If you guys think this is hard, try Dark Souls. It's almost as if the developers created that game to make players feel like crap.

Edited by Rythiman

54 minutes ago, Rythiman said:

If you guys think this is hard, try Dark Souls. It's almost as if the developers created that game to make players feel like crap.

The difference in Dark Souls is that eventually you get good at overcoming challenges and defeating obstacles because Dark Souls is a skill based game. Most of the skill in Warframe is heavily invested in knowing what items work with what mods to do what you need it to do. So in this challenge, you take away all the skill involved and hope the players just figure out how to be able to cheese the mission.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rythiman said:

All you need is a well-coordinated team of warframes with good synergies and a strategy design specifically for the task.

This is very true. Managed the excavation alone, but after 20 or so tries with different warframes and setups I felt it was impossible to solo the defense & survival so we went with a full squad (Trin, Frost, Rhino & Vauban). Even then it was pretty hard, have to admit I seriously doubt players who claimed to have "easily" and/or "boringly" soloed all three missions.

The good thing is that you REALLY have to fight TOGETHER, from start to finish, and that all players are created equal regardless of MR (since all mods, arcanes etc. seems to be removed, from everything). With a dedicated squad it was hair-raisingly fun (at one point we all went down, from breaking the g-damn glass), alone it was total horror (followed by fail).

I am in two minds about this challenge, if there would be a well-functioning mission-specific lobby that would tell you at least some specifics about the mission (like "don't try this alone" 🙂) and where you could calmly "squad-up" and go, then I would definitely give a thumbs up. But desperately trying different stuff (alone) and having no bloody chance sort of sucked the fun out and pulled the frustration in, before it actually got to be fun (going in with a dedicated squad).

Removing all the elements that make the game fun and replace it with nothing isn't fun, it's just very boring. This was clearly designed to be so annoying that you just but the frame instead of playing the game. I can't see any other reason for this but then again maybe i'm just cynical. 

Ok,

Ever since I rediscovered this game, I've loved it, it's exactly what I wanted from a looter/shooter farm game, I just got my 450 login day bonus, and after trying the grendel survival a couple of times, this is perhaps the second time EVER that I just decided to not do it anymore out of pure frustration and boredom. (the first time being doing defection missions for harrow systems) But this one really takes the cake. Seriously who designs this ? Who thinks this is fun or challenging ? Who was this "challenge" aimed at ? I'm mr27 and have access to almost every warframe and weapon, and it's been nothing but frustration at how when I think I figured out this "challenge" and do it with wisp and a prisma obex, how I still get screwed over because I run out of life support. Imagine how it has to be for someone who slaved all his way through the star chart to be able to do arbitrations, managed to finally gather 75 vitus essence to unlock these missions, only to run into this mess.

Now I don't wanna go as far as accuse you guys of making this deliberately frustrating and tedious just so people will spend the plat on it instead of doing it, I've seen enough of what u guys do to at least give u guys the benefit of the doubt that that wasn't a consideration releasing it like this, (it's one of the reasons I love you guys and have great respect for what you're doing) but at the same time I can't blame people who would think so at this point.

Is there anyone at DE who played this him/herself and didn't think it was completely frustrating and tedious ? and didn't think u'd have to be a complete masochist to like this ? It's not fun for low MR people, it's not fun for medium to high MR people, so I can't help but wonder if at any point someone didn't pose the question to themselves/the design team "is this fun and challenging or is it boring and tedious" and that either nobody objected and/or that the majority of them thought it was a good idea.

I'm not doing this the state it is in now, I can handle it when it's a little boring but still a challenge, but I won't put myself through this kind of frustation and tediousness.

18 hours ago, Her_Lovely_Tentacles said:

This is a unique challenge unlike anything I have seen in warframe.
I have failed the defense mission twice, and I loved every moment of it. I was playing with a good friend, and it was a totally new experience with these missions.

I have never had to think that much about which warframe and which weapon to bring. I have never heard someone shout "GRENADE" before.
I have never needed to be this careful and thoughful about my gameplay.

Mission went the shape of the pear twice, but it went with us laughing. We could attempt it again, and with more knowledge earned, we got further every time.
Survival and Excavation were a bit easy in comparison, but man, that defense mission was something.

As aunt Kela would say: "quit complaining, ya know ya love it!"

Nop, I hate it, everyone hates it in case you havent read the whole forum, you are the first one who doesnt says directly that he hates it. The essence of a shooter looter is to get upgrades and resources to make yourself more powerfull. That "thing", is not even a shooter looter, that thing is not a part of warframe, it is a cancerous tumor which needs to be extirpated. 

I did not realize that you can do it other than solo . . . . I have never been placed in a squad by matchmaking and on the map there is no indication of squads!

So for a 64 year old pensioner who has been playing and enjoying this game for a few years, this means only 1 thing . . . . maybe I should look to go back to TF2 or find another enjoyable game to keep my blood pressure in check! 

I bought Grendel just by seeing the Vitus requirement, because I hate Arbys with a passion. I decided to help a friend whose into those though, she had the missions unlocked, so we went into the first one and .. yeah. what?  I could rant for pages about how much this is a total anti-thesis of all things Warframe. But to be honest, I just want to hope we've all gotten this wrong somehow and that there's a gimmick we're missing here.

And if there isn't.. wow DE, are you actively trying to alienate your vet player base?

On 2019-10-31 at 11:08 PM, residente said:

I hope its bugged because I don't know how are we going to complete this if it isn't

Quoting myself because when I realised you could complete the missions in a squad they were as trivial and boring as any other mission. Trying all of them solo was a pain though.