The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream :135 Overview [Late]

(XBOX)EternalDrk Mako

Ash Koga is the most beautiful skin in the game so kinda weird making him another one when Volt's been sucha good boy but gets the worst skin. Unless you feel the need to make another Ash skin to celebrate fixing his awful marking mechanic if you did. Currently his 2 is his only useful skill which makes him invisible so we won't even see the skin most of the time. Why bother?

23 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Does Revenant have a reference to Vampires? He's supposed to be a Vampire frame too. (supposed to be)

Does Grendel have a reference to Oni? He's designed with horns and stomach mouths like Oni are, as well as having a Kanabo as his signature weapon.

Does Inaros (who, on a side note, revives the dead, or at least shades of them, in his sand monsters, as well as self-reviving, hence necromancer/mummy) have references to Egypt in his description?

Frankly, if Rebb has called her a Vampire frame, then this situation is cut-and-dry. She is a Vampire.

Revenant's are quite similar to Vampires (if I recall, they're another creature you need to drive a stake through their hearts in order to kill), some would even consider them related. Here's the Lotus' quote regarding Revenant: "This is Revenant, the returned - the condemned.".

Now here's Wikipedia's description of a Revenant: "In folklore, a revenant is an animated corpse that is believed to have revived from death to haunt the living.[6][7] The word revenant is derived from the Old French word, revenant, the "returning" (see also the related French verb revenir, meaning "to come back").". (Not to mention, Revenant's 4th is named Danse Macabre, which is an art genre that literally translates to 'Dance of death" and the style is believed to have originated in France, but also spread to places such as Germany and Spain)

I believe Grendel is a re-interpretation of the giant Grendel from Beowulf (who is also described as a ravenous devourer). His Lotus quote also matches the line describing Grendel in the poem Beowulf: "This is Grendel, the devourer, the insatiable. " (Lotus' quote)

Quote from Beowulf: "...the destroyer and devourer of our human kind" and "...poet details how Grendel consumes the men he kills; "now that he could hope to eat his fill.". I think re-designing Grendel as an Oni doesn't stray to far from his original description, and some could say it's quite clever.

As for Inaros' Egyptian references, their much more subtle; because as I noticed, Warframe never directly mentions or references any current day cultures ( Wukong and Nezha, were made to promote the Chinese build, so they're an obvious exception), but you can still see where they got their inspiration (this is one of my problems with Liger's skins, but that's a subject for another thread). Tenshin's outfit and behaviour is clearly an abstract version of a traditional Japanese warrior or Inaros' quest line is obviously Egyptian inspired with all the kavats and giant golems you need to fight off. Self-reviving is something a few other warframes can do, but I think Inaros' is tied to the "Rising from the dead" theme most mummies are associated with.

Here's Inaros' Lotus quote: "This is Inaros, the savior, king of the desert.". Now what do most people think of why you say "desert"? Pyramids, vast open spaces, Egypt, and other Middle Eastern countries (and Inaros was the name of two Egyptian royals, Inaros I and Inaros II).

I'm a little unsure about the DE Reb calling her a Vampire part, since I was referencing what another user here had said earlier. Right now, I'm not going to rewatch the Devstream where Garuda was first shown to confirms this, so I'll walk back a little from that remark.

On 2019-12-22 at 12:50 PM, Loza03 said:

That's irrelevant.

Bathroy is literally referred to as Countess Dracula. If you're making two direct references to some of the most famous, seminal vampires in literature (or their inspiration) with your character who drinks health from blood, then that character is probably supposed to be a Vampire. Their motivations for doing what they did or other literary backdrops to taht is kind of besides the point - they are known for their vampire connotations, and that's what defines them. That's like me arguing Wukong isn't based on Sun Wukong because the character of Sun Wukong was a metaphor for the mind and Wukong the frame doesn't have psychic powers.

Given the idea that Garuda seems designed around gore around blood, isn't it possible they were referencing Bathory, not as Countess Dracula, but as the madwoman who bleed young women to death? That's a pretty gruesome thing, and considering the fact that Garuda is described as Death's crimson maiden, and was dropped with the Bloodshed sigil (one the completely coats your frame in "blood") it would make sense that she would have a reference to a woman who was literally bathed in blood.

Garuda doesn't actually drink the blood from Blood Altar. She drains the enemy's life force, which again, isn't an uncommon healing tactic in Warframe. It's related to blood for strictly thematic reasons.

On 2019-12-22 at 4:44 PM, SordidDreams said:

That's exactly the bug I'm talking about. That's not how it's supposed to work and not how it works in regular archwing.

It works like that everywhere, it's just that outside of railjack missions, nothing does enough damage to drop you in that split second between when your 4 caps you out on energy and your 3 drains it.

4 minutes ago, zuraja said:

It works like that everywhere, it's just that outside of railjack missions, nothing does enough damage to drop you in that split second between when your 4 caps you out on energy and your 3 drains it.

Hm, I went to test it and you're right, it does work like this in normal AW. Thing is, I distinctly remember it not being like this. So I guess this bug is older and nobody really noticed or cared until now? Either way, needs fixing.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-12-22 at 11:37 AM, (PS4)The1stAzrael said:

Even her loose connection to Vampirism (Blood Altar) is questionable, given the fact that draining an enemy's health to regenerate your own is a common healing ability in Warframe (heck, Trinity has a skill called Energy Vampire but no one is calling her a Vampire frame).

You forgot Dread Mirror -- which true to the vampiric inspirations, doesn't have any actual reflections