Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Garuda Talons (melee) Buff Idea

Knight_of_the_Fall

using one of garuda's abilities empowers her talons

Duration of empowerment is 4 seconds

Increases damage by 15%

increases melee range

Every hit has a chance to inflict Garuda's bleed debuff from her 4, which is still affected by mods (if debuff from her 4 would have 100% bleed proc, debuff from empowerd melee would also have 100% bleed proc)

These would also be affected by garuda's mods. Range would increase melee range further, Duration would increase durationg of the empowerment, and Strength would increase damage buff and chance to inflict the debuff.

also unique stance because Garuda's Talons is the only melee exalted weapon that doesnt have one.

Some interactions her talons could have with her abilities if equipped:

Dread Mirror) Her lunge also does an empowered melee attack on her target, if it's health is below the threshold after the melee damage it dies.

Blood Letting) She does an empowered spinning melee attack to everything around her with extended melee range.

Edited by Knight_of_the_Fall

As stated in title, previously posted in Fan Concepts but realized this is probably a better place. Sorry about that. Also considering that her talons are unique to her, I figured the Warframe feedback section would be more appropriate than Weapons.

Basically, from everything Ive seen, Garuda's melee talons are largely considered useless, which sucks because theyre also pretty iconic to her. Here's a couple ideas that could improve them in ways that are hopefully more interesting and fun than just a flat stat buff.

using one of garuda's abilities empowers her talons:

1) Duration of empowerment is 4 seconds

2) Increases damage by 15%

3) increases melee range

4) Every hit has a chance to inflict Garuda's bleed debuff from her 4, which is still affected by mods (if debuff from her 4 would have 100% bleed proc, debuff from empowerd melee would also have 100% bleed proc.

These would also be affected by garuda's mods. Range would increase melee range further, Duration would increase durationg of the empowerment, and Strength would increase damage buff and chance to inflict the debuff.

also unique stance because Garuda's Talons is the only melee exalted weapon that doesn't have one.

Some interactions her talons could have with her abilities if equipped:

Dread Mirror) Her lunge also does an empowered melee attack on her target, if it's health is below the threshold after the melee damage it dies.

Blood Letting) She does an empowered spinning melee attack to everything around her with extended melee range.

again, sorry for double posting, feel free to flame my ass.

Tbh as a major Garuda fan I don't think she needs changes to her talons.  Sure, it would be cool to give it something extra to make it more "hers" but it's not like you can use her claws with other frames.  And the more you argue about making them more integral to her kit the more you'd be pushing it to exalted territory.  Personally speaking if they were to do anything extra with them i'd ask for merely a built in combo amount to start with and/or have her perform mercy/insta melee kills with their own special animations.  But that's it.

Thank you to whoever moved the first post here

The thing is, as of right now there isn't really a major reason for Garuda players to use the talons besides "rule of cool" because there are so many better melee options. The goal with this was to make them half-exalted weapons or something along those lines, since they are specific to Garuda and feel like such an integral part of her theme. However, as of now you would be sacrificing other melee options for no real payoff. They're basically just a half decent melee weapon which doesn't feel right to me.

One particular thing that's always bugged me about her claws is that they're slash status weapons on a frame that can already make any damage source produce slash status effects.  This is by no means bad per se, since her 4 allows the doubling up of those effects, and it's not on all the time.   But it would be elegant design if the Talons had better crit potential.

So...what if not only the damage, but also the crit% and critX of her claws scaled with her passive in some way?  That seems like potentially a pretty fun niche to me.

Edited by Tiltskillet

4 hours ago, Knight_of_the_Fall said:

The thing is, as of right now there isn't really a major reason for Garuda players to use the talons besides "rule of cool"

That's literally the only reason they are in the game. They aren't going to essentially make them into an exalted weapon with no cost.

I still wish DE would just let me take her talons on Melee only weapons.
I mean it really is blur isn't it? It is neither an exalted weapon nor a stand alone melee weapon.

Not to mention some of the animations are really weird. as she's always just smacking with her talons then slashing them.
Even on animations that other claws do slash, she wacks.

9 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

So...what if not only the damage, but also the crit% and critX of her claws scaled with her passive in some way?  That seems like potentially a pretty fun niche to me.

This would let her Claws reach Venka Prime’s level of crit scaling which would be nice.

6 hours ago, (PS4)thegarada said:

Garuda talons will kinda always be useless. The issue is that they are a free melee weapon. And thus, the damage they provide has to be lower than melee weapons you build or buy (especially late game ones). They are there for aesthetics. 

That's a fair point. Maybe if there was some way to improve it after you build Garuda, similar to the paracesis with each forma installed it improves, so you would have to invest in them rather than just being given a free strong melee

On 2019-12-22 at 5:50 AM, Knight_of_the_Fall said:

using one of garuda's abilities empowers her talon

I like the idea, but Garuda's talons are kind of supposed to suck. She isn't Valkyr.

They should probably be a little better than they are, but they're not exalted and shouldn't be buffed by abilities.

Garuda has some of the highest DPS in the game - clunky and a pain to use, but she is to Slash what Saryn is to Viral/Corrosive. She's also very much about range, not melee, especially with shooting through walls.

She recently got some really good buffs. She still needs her 1's DMG shown in the UI and some improvements to her shield (it's bugged and doesn't stop Napalms or Bombards). I'd rather they fixed that.