Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any Rifles that play like Shotguns?

(PSN)Unstar

Question

Since I started using the Amalgam mod that gives +25% sprint speed, I can't stop.  And since the only Primary Weapons it can't be equipped on are Shotguns, I've pretty much stopped using all proper Shotguns.  But I love Shotguns, they used to be some of my favorite weapons!

I'm guessing there must be Rifle weapons out there that play like shotguns (ie - a single quick body shot does a ton of damage), but I'm not sure what they are.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Thanks!

• Like 1

18 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, taiiat said:

uhhh

Quartakk
Sybaris
Kuva Chakkhurr
Opticor Vandal
Quellor
Zarr

Quellor and Zarr are probably your best bets, as the Alt-Fire for both of these Weapons is essentially a Shotgun.

Fulmin.

The thing is just a shotgun taking rifle mods

• Like 3

Personally I would advise you to get out of this mentality. For me Amalgam mods are pretty useless, less effectiveness with a mediocre added bonus. 

I used to run Rush on all my Warframes because I liked the speed, but after a while I knew that if I wanted to make my builds actually good (except Gauss of course) I needed to drop that mod slot for something better than Rush. Same goes for your primaries.

Just keep that in mind when you think your rifle does less damage or your Warframe build needs another spot (assuming you use Rush if you do not have a Rifle equipped.)

51 minutes ago, RatataBanana said:

What about shotguns that act like rifles?

Kohm is a full-auto crowd shredder.

And while maybe not much like a regular Rifle, Phantasma is a neat Beam weapon + grenade launcher combo.

6 hours ago, (PS4)Unstar said:

a single quick body shot does a ton of damage

Have you tried any Launchers?

E.g. Kuva Ogris (woo Gas build, with innate Toxin bonus) is pretty dang fun / effective,
and not even significantly dangerous to yourself with Cautious Shot.

On 2020-02-13 at 5:20 AM, DragonDude3010 said:

Personally I would advise you to get out of this mentality. For me Amalgam mods are pretty useless, less effectiveness with a mediocre added bonus. 

I used to run Rush on all my Warframes because I liked the speed, but after a while I knew that if I wanted to make my builds actually good (except Gauss of course) I needed to drop that mod slot for something better than Rush. Same goes for your primaries.

not using Amalgam Barrel Diffusion is basically nerfing yourself. you should use it, it's borderline a mandatory Mod.

you might not get excited about Sprint Speed though, and you are welcome to make that choice, that's why the choice was offered.
but don't try and tell people that losing 3.7735% of their Damage for some Sprint Speed is going to make their Weapons useless. that's just lying.

5 minutes ago, taiiat said:

not using Amalgam Barrel Diffusion is basically nerfing yourself. you should use it, it's borderline a mandatory Mod.

How?

You get less Multishot, which can be potentially significant not least on big-single-shot weapons,
since it can (more often) make you fire only 2 shots at once rather than 3, i.e. make you lose 33% damage (also Status chances).

And shorter rolls ... what's really the benefit of that? Might be nice on Limbo for quicker Rift hops
or if you're using Rolling Guard I guess (ever so slightly more time while invulnerable to do whatever), but for regular use ... I don't get it.

3 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

How?

making Rolling significantly faster, letting you perform way more movement actions overall - it makes your Parkour significantly faster.
play with it for a while and then take it off - it's one of those things that once you get used to moving that much faster, losing it is painful.

the 10% Multi-Shot is something that's nice to have, but overall moving much faster is a pretty big deal in a game that's about, well, moving fast. that Lancer or whatever is still gonna die anyways, and you can move through your Mission faster in the part of your movement that matters the most - your Parkour.

On 2020-02-13 at 4:20 AM, DragonDude3010 said:

I take the exact opposite approach.  I mod my frames and weapons so they can handle anything and then slowly swap out power for quality of life and fun.  

I still can survive anything the game can throw at me, but I get to bounce around like a maniac leaving flowers on everything. 

I'm strongly on the side of 'Stay in the fun over power mentality in this game, there is no uberbuild'

The secondary fire of the Kuva Quartak is pretty shotgun like. It fires 4 rounds at once and is the best rifle in the game by far for me.  It’s the only rifle that can consistently 1 shot level 100 and up enemies. Mine has fire for an element and that with a viral crit build is deadly.  Crit rivens are pretty cheap and very effective. 

On 2020-02-14 at 2:12 PM, taiiat said:

that's why the choice was offered.
but don't try and tell people that losing 3.7735% of their Damage for some Sprint Speed is going to make their Weapons useless. that's just lying.

If you would kindly read my comment again, I said "Amalgam Mods are pretty useless". Personally I find it a bit annoying that you thought the above statement was true..

On 2020-02-14 at 2:12 PM, taiiat said:

About this? Mandatory? This is entirely your opinion. I personally like myself some extra damage and I will stand by my case that I find Amalgam Mods useless. I gave up Rush for better builds, then I'm not going to condition me to do it again with some Amalgam mod.

You cannot convince me out of this how hard you try. (Saying this to prevent 5 page long Forum discussion, please don't start.)

On 2020-02-14 at 6:34 PM, FreeWilliam said:

I take the exact opposite approach.  I mod my frames and weapons so they can handle anything and then slowly swap out power for quality of life and fun.  

I still can survive anything the game can throw at me, but I get to bounce around like a maniac leaving flowers on everything. 

I'm strongly on the side of 'Stay in the fun over power mentality in this game, there is no uberbuild'

I absolutely love your mindset, but this all goes on your definition of fun of course. As a Harrow main whom loves his team like no one else I like making my build the best I can and just being there, the support, in the action, hmm! Love it! I suggest you do whatever you find fun to do and just own it!

But as for the topic I was on, I was simply giving my experience with these mods and one specific stat on Warframes (sprint speed) and how I find it affected me negatively, since OP said:

On 2020-02-13 at 6:12 AM, (PS4)Unstar said:

I can't stop.

And I already saw what I had done prior so just giving my experience.

Welp, I hope y'all have a great morning/afternoon/evening/night whatever, Tenno!

4 hours ago, DragonDude3010 said:

If you would kindly read my comment again, I said "Amalgam Mods are pretty useless". Personally I find it a bit annoying that you thought the above statement was true..

About this? Mandatory? This is entirely your opinion. I personally like myself some extra damage and I will stand by my case that I find Amalgam Mods useless. I gave up Rush for better builds, then I'm not going to condition me to do it again with some Amalgam mod.

You cannot convince me out of this how hard you try.

i don't care about convincing you, only that you try to enforce your personal preferences onto other Players, of that you will always take a single point of Damage over any Utility anything.
you can do that, you're the one playing - but telling other people that some Mod that offers some Utility should be straight ignored? when a Player already decided that they want to use some Utility trait? that's not okay. 

so i'm far less concerned with convincing you of anything, than showing an opposing force to "this is useless, don't use it, because".

On 2020-02-13 at 10:20 AM, DragonDude3010 said:

Just keep that in mind when you think your rifle does less damage or your Warframe build needs another spot (assuming you use Rush if you do not have a Rifle equipped.)

Amalgan Organ Shatter would like a word with you 😉

15 hours ago, DragonDude3010 said:

I absolutely love your mindset, but this all goes on your definition of fun of course. As a Harrow main whom loves his team like no one else I like making my build the best I can and just being there, the support, in the action, hmm! Love it! I suggest you do whatever you find fun to do and just own it!

That's actually part of what I dig about Warframe.  People can really lean into different build strategies and have them all be effective, making lots of room for personal fun.  Sure, every now and then build approaches butt heads (like poor Nidus trying to get stacks when everyone else is making all the mobs dead) but there are also tons of odd synergies that crop up and as long as everyone's alive and the mobs are dead then it's pretty harmless to carry a Tenno or two with less optimized builds.

16 hours ago, DragonDude3010 said:

I was simply giving my experience with these mods and one specific stat on Warframes (sprint speed) and how I find it affected me negatively

I'll admit I also haven't gotten as much out of sprint speed.  I spent the longest time as an Atlas main (Before Primed Sure Footed let other frames stand toe-to-toe with beefy mobs without getting knocked down) and never actually RAN anywhere.  it was either bullet jumping or using a lot of attack speed with my stance to move (I was practically a Clashing Forest main before Melee 3.0), and despite Atlas being 'slow' I didn't end up falling behind because bullet jumping is very, very fast.

One weird thing to add...I don't know about you guys but thanks to Lich Hunting I'm absolutely SWIMMING in Tenno Specters (Especially Vapor and Phase).  I'm already at the point where I can toss them out like Pizzas rather than treating them like a resource.  Volt and Wisp specters add more speed than we can get from all the mods combined in one frame, so that's another angle if someone likes speed but needs those frame slots (or really wants to put Peculiar Bloom in there) 🙂