Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How is Grendel supposed to work?

PenderTheTyrant

Question

I'm trying to play all the frames i own and get a build for the playstile i like the most set, but i can't figure out some. Gauss was super easy to understand and pretty versatile with different builds, meanwhile this fat bloke makes no sense to me... Am i supposed to go full efficiency and just eat as much as i can and rollout? Spitting enemies seems dumb since it's kinda weird to aim and you lose the use for the enemies eaten for a damage i might as well deal with weapons. And the nourish bonus doesn't seem worth the effort.

Any Grendel mains can tell me how you do it?

17 answers to this question

You don't. You wait for a complete rework of his useless abilities. His Nourish is fine and all but why? His Kirby ability is pretty good but all it does it remove the enemies from the field ala Hydroid kiddy pool. His Vomit is useless and his 4 is probably the most boring and annoying ability to use. It rolls extremely slow, it is extremely sluggish and just... completely unsatisfying to use at all... just... a huge letdown.

Wait for rework.

Suck with 1 > buff with 2 depending on the enemy consumed is either increase energy/dmg/reflection Energy is the most helpful for me tbh cause I always make energy hog builds but if you dont then the dmg would be the best. 3 is what deals the most damage out of his kit and 4 is to do almost the same as 3 just without the toxin damage. And I say his 3 deals the most however that's in terms of raw damage, his 4 can output more dmg in an AoE but his 3 scales better. And to get the most out of his 4 have 10 enemies in your belleh.

Edited by rawr1254

I haven't been using Grendel for serious stuff, mostly just messing around is how I enjoy playing him. I wouldn't take him into a serious mission, but if you can just appreciate the goofiness of a vore based Warframe then you may enjoy him.

Using his first ability a lot to get rid of enemies quickly seems to work, holding the same button spits them back out and will usually kill them. Regurgiate seems to be a pointless power since his first already does that, just at much closer range. Nourish is useful but you have to spam it to get rid of eaten enemies. Rolling around like Sonic is just dumb fun too. 

Short answer, to enjoy Grendel you must eat and play for fun. He's not exactly a Warframe to use seriously. 

you eat things with 1 ,hold to purge your guts

you digest with 2 (gain bonus to you and allies)

you spit an enemy at others, no energy drain

if you have filled gut with 1 enemy click 4 and become meatball that crushes things , more  enemies means bigger

also more u eat bigger armor but more energy drain .

44 minutes ago, PenderTheTyrant said:

I'm trying to play all the frames i own and get a build for the playstile i like the most set, but i can't figure out some. Gauss was super easy to understand and pretty versatile with different builds, meanwhile this fat bloke makes no sense to me... Am i supposed to go full efficiency and just eat as much as i can and rollout? Spitting enemies seems dumb since it's kinda weird to aim and you lose the use for the enemies eaten for a damage i might as well deal with weapons. And the nourish bonus doesn't seem worth the effort.

Any Grendel mains can tell me how you do it?

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako

6 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

you eat things with 1 ,hold to purge your guts

you digest with 2 (gain bonus to you and allies)

you spit an enemy at others, no energy drain

if you have filled gut with 1 enemy click 4 and become meatball that crushes things , more  enemies means bigger

also more u eat bigger armor but more energy drain .

Basically this, And I wouldn't take the people that say either to not use him or not to use him in serious situations. His survivability can be a great asset, he may not have health levels of Inaros but he is on par with that level to me and is more fun than Inaros in my opinion. I have used him in lvl 100+ content and he does perfectly fine, your build may vary of course. On top of sending out buffs, his 2 can heal yourself by spamming it and you can rotate which enemy is being used during his two to get the buff you want. The three buffs that are possible are determined by enemy type. You will learn which does what. 

Just now, CFandCo said:

Basically this, And I wouldn't take the people that say either to not use him or not to use him in serious situations. His survivability can be a great asset, he may not have health levels of Inaros but he is on par with that level to me and is more fun than Inaros in my opinion. I have used him in lvl 100+ content and he does perfectly fine, your build may vary of course. On top of sending out buffs, his 2 can heal yourself by spamming it and you can rotate which enemy is being used during his two to get the buff you want. The three buffs that are possible are determined by enemy type. You will learn which does what. 

honestly my clanmate uses him and had to explain it to me, he wipes out maps by click one and spin in circle then belches them off edge of map... 

1 minute ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

honestly my clanmate uses him and had to explain it to me, he wipes out maps by click one and spin in circle then belches them off edge of map... 

I've not done that myself. I target other enemies to belch them at.

8 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Eat stuff, buff up with 2, puke, chop puke to pieces, repeat. Use 3 and 4 as you wish. Can always keep a few enemies in your belly for armor buff.

^this. I use that to kill crewships crew. Eat them all, puke on the wall, single heavy attack from Pennant or Reaper Prime buildt for heavy attacks kills all. Or, Orthos Prime blender mode does the same in couple hits. 

Grendel is very fun for me, though i rarely use meatball. Too much drain. 3 is ok ranged attack, works like rocket launcher with no self damage. Almost useless vs. high level Grineer, good for corpus and infested. Spitting Noxes into pits is also fun. 2 mostly for heals, changing buffs while fighting is clunky. I'd love to see his energy drain and buffs adjusted. Maybe to ability wheel on 2?

Try to treat eating enemies as nuke/cc, don't run on full stomach. Armor is not worth it and drain makes it unbearable for longer. 

GLHF with my favourite sumo beetle. 

• Like 1

he is a buffer tbh, thats all i can see him useful for, but even doing that the buff mechanics are annoying as heck, as for him spitting enemies as projectiles, that seems utterly stupid given the fact we are carrying "WEAPONS", that do that task far better.  I also had to laugh at his ult when i got stuck on some small steps on hydron, poor bloke couldnt even roll up a tiny few steps without a massive run up and sometimes then still failed.

He is what he is.... mastery fodder.

1 hour ago, Methanoid said:

he is a buffer tbh, thats all i can see him useful for, but even doing that the buff mechanics are annoying as heck, as for him spitting enemies as projectiles, that seems utterly stupid given the fact we are carrying "WEAPONS", that do that task far better.  I also had to laugh at his ult when i got stuck on some small steps on hydron, poor bloke couldnt even roll up a tiny few steps without a massive run up and sometimes then still failed.

He is what he is.... mastery fodder.

I don' agree. Second highest health pool of all warframes, good armor. And not as boring as Inaros. His abilities: Extremally strong 1.  Strong group? Gobble them. Eximus enemy? Om nom nom. Lvl 200 Nox? Yum. Flock of fast moving drones? Get in mah belly! Also, enemies in stomach lose armor and get procs every second. Great for gobbling entire room, softening them a little. Then just vomit on the ground in a neat pile. All in range of your melee, prepared for Condition Overload, Eximus auras turned off.

His other abilities pale in comparison, but are not weak in the least. Ok but very fun 3 (heavies shoot bullets. I shoot heavies :-)) Also, passable ranged AoE, even if you took no AoE weapons. 2 needs slight rework, upcoming Titania style ability circle would suffice. But it's health regain scales with enemy level, as all his abilities do. 4 stomping does good damage, but is hard to control. Best used while jumping into enemies, stomp couple times, turn it off. I rarely use it because of high energy drain. 

Summing up, Grendel is not as tanky as Inaros straight out the box, but his abilities make him much more useful, especially on high enemy levels when Inaros cries for his mummy:-)

• Like 2

Yeah but, how many "normal" players will even end up facing lvl 200 nox/other mobs and their only option being to have fatman eating them? afaik saryn could just as easily decimate the same mobs without even having to get as close initially.

Edited by Methanoid

17 hours ago, SpiritTeA said:

Grendel is one of the best frames for RailJack. Gather all bodies together across the whole area and vomit them in one corner where you will unleash your heavy hammer. Actually the best one for dealing with boarding parties imo.

Overall yes , everything that @(PS4)Jacobivan said

What makes that better than nidus 2?

4 часа назад, PenderTheTyrant сказал:

What makes that better than nidus 2?

Because I don’t have Nidus 😄 I can’t farm too long those infested salvage. And actually that thing that Grendel’s skills scaling with lvl makes him great if you struggling with killing thicc enemies. If I know right setting up Nidus to starting deal damage is very prolonged process, while with Grendel you just need press 1 button and it will take few seconds