Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Adding an animation to opening containers

DemonStrikerX

One thing I thought of today is why does opening containers look so weird? I know this is one of the most irrelavant things to think of but I couldnt just think of how it was so weird that opening containers was kind of weird and that is mainly because opening containers has no animation and its just weird that we click a button and the container we see in front of us just opens . I thought it would be cool if opening containers had an animation where our frames smash through them to get whats inside or even better use the parazon to pry open the containers. I know a lot of the "gotta rush through the mission" people wont like this because it will slow them down but I feel like this is a nice quality of life change and once we have we will appriciate it

• Like 2

Perhaps for Supply Cache containers or Rare Loot chests? Those are uncommon enough to excuse a quick lock-pick animation to amp up the 'special'

Regular ones that you just break open or spam X to unlock, however, I agree with everyone else, that'd just bog down pacing.

• Like 2

For my part I would not mind if it have because it is interesting. 

I would add animation for climbing (with climbing feature), swimming, turning, prone, hiding behind cover animation, normal sit (interaction with seats), yoga, hug animation.

Many more could be added but this game is fast paced and everything what not serves a clear purpose would not be added sadly. I personally like the idea to do it since we have hack animation (replaced by parazon) and wall latch and glide also. 

• Like 2

If you recall all the hubbub regarding loot-boxes and EA inducing gambling habits into kids, one of the techniques was elaborate animation of the boxes opening. DE does well NOT to follow suit.

Canisters bust quickly and nicely and I have no desire for neon flashes swirling around or top-popping. Now, if someone wants to see Nova, Mag, or Mesa flashing or top-popping, I could at least understand it - but canisters? They just need to disintegrate when struck, just like they do now!

• Like 2

On 2020-06-22 at 9:34 PM, Canach said:

If you recall all the hubbub regarding loot-boxes and EA inducing gambling habits into kids, one of the techniques was elaborate animation of the boxes opening. DE does well NOT to follow suit.

Canisters bust quickly and nicely and I have no desire for neon flashes swirling around or top-popping. Now, if someone wants to see Nova, Mag, or Mesa flashing or top-popping, I could at least understand it - but canisters? They just need to disintegrate when struck, just like they do now!

Hmm I dont think that is what I was meaning but most of you took it the way i thought you would. I mentioned this idea as a small nice change but everyone is either seeing this is it will slow us down or DE will spend years making it 

On 2020-06-22 at 8:19 PM, (PS4)Gentleman_Raven_ said:

In a heavy RPG game, sure.

In a run n' gun shoot n' loot game, nah.

Even after saying that the animation would be quick like a second or two and saying that all the gotta go fast people wont really be affected much people still bring up the same point. Okay then

On 2020-06-22 at 9:49 AM, DemonStrikerX said:

One thing I thought of today is why does opening containers look so weird? I know this is one of the most irrelavant things to think of but I couldnt just think of how it was so weird that opening containers was kind of weird and that is mainly because opening containers has no animation and its just weird that we click a button and the container we see in front of us just opens . I thought it would be cool if opening containers had an animation where our frames smash through them to get whats inside or even better use the parazon to pry open the containers. I know a lot of the "gotta rush through the mission" people wont like this because it will slow them down but I feel like this is a nice quality of life change and once we have we will appriciate it

This would kill you instantly in higher level content, even if it was only a second or two. Unless you're doing level 50 content, you don't want to stand still at any given point unless you're casting/rezing someone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DemonStrikerX said:

Even after saying that the animation would be quick like a second or two and saying that all the gotta go fast people wont really be affected much people still bring up the same point. Okay then

First of all, 1-2 second animation is a long time in warframe, try using any 1-2 second ability without natural talent, then imagine doing that 30 times in a mission.

Secondly, of course the forums are full of "gotta go fast" people, what the hell do you think warframe is? A game about space ninjas bullet jumping through rooms of deadly enemies, why wouldn't the forums be full of those people? That's literally the core mechanic of the game, this is just nitpicky. 

On 2020-06-25 at 8:03 AM, Richeatue said:

First of all, 1-2 second animation is a long time in warframe, try using any 1-2 second ability without natural talent, then imagine doing that 30 times in a mission.

Secondly, of course the forums are full of "gotta go fast" people, what the hell do you think warframe is? A game about space ninjas bullet jumping through rooms of deadly enemies, why wouldn't the forums be full of those people? That's literally the core mechanic of the game, this is just nitpicky. 

I am pretty sure speedrunners dont bother opening containers, I dont know if am reffering to the wrong thing but I am talking about those big boxes that are either locked or openable by clicking x I am not referring to the small things u can break with ur weapons

I like the implication that container animations would be legend of Zelda chest opening length, and the only time you'll open them is when you're surrounded by a hundred bombards who have their shoot action directly linked to the opening of the box.

This is an idea that could work, if the animation was nothing more than a quick arm wave that didn't interrupt anything else you were doing. Copy Mag's pull and have the parazon fail about a bit, done and done. It takes a moment for the locker to open and drop what's inside before it's picked up anyway.

And realistically, if you're more concerned about opening lockers while there's enemies around, then you aren't really concerned about the enemies in the first place, otherwise you'd clear the area first before looting.