Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Bezerker Warframe W/ Whip

Renathy

I am seriously disappointed about this. I was expecting a twin of Rhino, and instead we get a thin female warframe. Not a problem that she is a woman, but come on: this is the damn opposite of berserker. Pretty sure this is going to be a crap looking warframe with overpowered abilities. Like Nova. Seriously, throw it in the nearest trash bin you see.

I'm not sure what to think of this. As far as I know, berserker (it's not supposed to be a "z" apparently but who cares) is a warrior that wears the skin of a bear, ("ber-" means "bear" in old norse) and works himself into a rage before battle, or takes drugs to "go berserk" (see what I did there? lol) and beat the crap out of anything and anyone around them. And yes, "anyone" means that sometimes they killed each others, I saw old paintings from norse history showing berserkers attacking trees and rocks, so they must heave been really pissed or really high on mushrooms. So most of the posts I read saying that a berserker fights with no armor are right, but their argument is kinda flawed. I have no problem with a Frame that has vitrtually no armor, since the pain is supposed to act as fuel for rage, but I'm not sure about the "skinny chick with cat claws". Don't get me wrong, I don't want a SheHulk, but a minimum of muscle mass wouldn't hurt, she could look athletic without losing any of her femininity or look like a bodybuilder.

If you read that post in it's entirety, kudos! Because I'm not sure it's even relevant or if anyone here cares, just my modest contribution.

I'm not sure what to think of this. As far as I know, berserker (it's not supposed to be a "z" apparently but who cares) is a warrior that wears the skin of a bear, ("ber-" means "bear" in old norse) and works himself into a rage before battle, or takes drugs to "go berserk" (see what I did there? lol) and beat the crap out of anything and anyone around them. And yes, "anyone" means that sometimes they killed each others, I saw old paintings from norse history showing berserkers attacking trees and rocks, so they must heave been really &!$$ed or really high on mushrooms. So most of the posts I read saying that a berserker fights with no armor are right, but their argument is kinda flawed. I have no problem with a Frame that has vitrtually no armor, since the pain is supposed to act as fuel for rage, but I'm not sure about the "skinny chick with cat claws". Don't get me wrong, I don't want a SheHulk, but a minimum of muscle mass wouldn't hurt, she could look athletic without losing any of her femininity or look like a bodybuilder.

If you read that post in it's entirety, kudos! Because I'm not sure it's even relevant or if anyone here cares, just my modest contribution.

IIRC berserkers would attack tree/logs/rocks/ect. to calm down after a fight.

While I like the lithe build, I agree that she could have some more muscle.

I agree with those saying that she could have used a bit more muscles (not armor, muscles), just a slightly more bulky build. If you look at some of the very agile and fast martial artists, they have quite the healthy and fit muscles, which is NEEDED for good agility since you're constantly balancing and throwing your own weight with strength and precision.

By the way, not sure if mentioned already, but I don't think she has any whip weapon on her. Those are likely dangly parts, part of her design. It comes out of her wrist protectors after all.

I think the reason a lot of people have a problem with the heels is that most people in westener society commonly associate it with femininity, but it sound like you issue with it is based more on perception, had her gender been reversed I don't think you would see the collars and skinlessness as a sign of weakness.

The problem with that comment is that there is no history of males being told by superiors, doctors, mates and the culture at large that they are irrational emotional things.  Men are logical and thinkers who also can be emotional and irrational.

There is no history of males being pigeon hold into only one body type(with minor variations).  In movies and games both, characters must fall into traditional standards of beauty.  Including(but not limited to) youth, clear skin, thin, mild muscle tone.  Women as well throw on some additional curves on top.  If you can't fit into that mold you get tossed.  An entire culture that focuses on who gained what weight?  Who is slightly asymmetrical where?  Male leads(in games, the protag or main controllable character) can be anything from Dante to Marcus Fenix to Old Snake.  You won't see the same variation for female characters.

There is no history of males having their strength being limited and controlled by mitigating factors.  Men can just be strong.  Be powerful.  Women always have some mitigating factor.  Some feminine clothes or colors.  Make-up.  Or some kind of wounding emotionally.  Often either lacking emotions in the "Ice queen" stereotype or being in cute/girly/vulnerable(which always seem paired up) and often needing saved.  

If those three things were equal across all the genders.  If they hadn't dominated the entire market for a century.  If games hadn't done this over and over and over already.  If it wasn't toxic and sad.  And if it just wasn't already IN this game...

Then I'd agree.  But it's not.  And it's frustrating to watch this game fall into the same trap.

Yeah,i'm such a misogynist because i want a game about SPACE NINJAS,in a WAR ,to not have a warframe called BERSEKER ,and be a woman.

Berseker implies actual brute force,not 0 muscle barbie body composition and magic tricks to compensate for it

The misogynist vibe comes from the latter half of that comment.  This is the math you just gave us.

Berserker = brute force

Woman = not berserker

Not berserker = zero muscle mass, barbie body comp, compensating "tricks" to cover for lack of strength.

We can extrapolate from there.

Woman = Not berserker = zero muscle mass, barbie body comp, compensating "tricks" to cover for lack of strength.

Simplified

Woman = zero muscle mass, barbie body comp, compensating "tricks" to cover for lack of strength.

And I'm going to extrapolate a bit more here...

Berserker = strong, large body, muscular, powerful, powerful looking.

Woman = Not berserker

Woman =/= Berserker

Therefore.

Woman =/= strong, large body, muscular, powerful, powerful looking.

The issue here is that you end up having to assume that this is the ONLY type of female possible.  That you can't have a strong woman.  And that women are simply not strong(or not as strong as men).

Now I could be wrong, which is why *I* didn't call you a misogynist.  I don't know what your views are here.  But I know how they appear to come off.

The issue I have is that DE seems to think in the way I outlined above...

Ultimately, this is all preference. I see no issue with her look. She looks "Berserk"-ish enough to justify the name. Not all people think of "Berserker" and expect some She-Hulk muscly lookin' beef log. Though, this is only an opinion. 

Emphasis on opinion. 

There is a difference between "SheHulk" and "athletic". There is, seriously. Oh and I'm sorry but in my mind, a "chopstick on heels" isn't even remotely "berserk"-ish...

Emphasis on - in my mind -, prove me wrong DE, and I will be the first to apologize, I can promise you that!

Ultimately, this is all preference. I see no issue with her look. She looks "Berserk"-ish enough to justify the name. Not all people think of "Berserker" and expect some She-Hulk muscly lookin' beef log. Though, this is only an opinion. 

Emphasis on opinion. 

Instead we got more of the same thing we had.  Argh!  Give me something different! Something new! Blargh!

There are plenty of women smaller than Bruce Lee that can break the arms off of Chris Hemsworth with no trouble, don't try to defend your sexist statement with a sexist argument point and than try to sarcastically say you aren't being sexist.

penalty for using the word sexist too many times in one sentence =P

So are people asking the frame to look like this?

1000px-DC_-_Amazon.png

Not all berserkers are the same, example of two characters with the title berserker, but are vastly different in body type.

Berserker.%28Fate.zero%29.240.1320841.jp

berserker-fate.png

Now just an artwork I like depicting a female berserker, which is why I'm not too against the current Concept of the frame, just a few tweaks would do (Stronger arms), not a whole "let's make it as buff as Rhino"

the_flaming_berserker_by_dantewontdie-d5

Bodybuilder with tons of muscles are for show, that's the whole point of bodybuilding.
Fighters have lean dense muscles, as many have said Bruce Lee. 

Edited by FateZero

So are people asking the frame too look like this?

1000px-DC_-_Amazon.png

Not all berserkers are the same, example of two characters with the title berserker, but are vastly different in body type.

berserker-fate.png

Now just an artwork I like depicting a female berserker, which is why I'm not too against the current Concept of the frame, just a few tweaks would do (Stronger arms), not a whole "let's make it as buff as Rhino"

Bodybuilder with tons of muscles are for show, that's the whole point of bodybuilding.

more like this

WE_Berserker.jpg

Guest DeadGoanna

So are people asking the frame too look like this?

1000px-DC_-_Amazon.png

berserker-fate.png

That first image....... O.O

Guess I'm one of the few people that don't mind her sharing a body model with Ember or Saryn.

Thing is Blatant, that plenty of people expected, not a female Rhino but at least some deviation from the standard body type that pretty much every female warframe has. Whereas this is hardly an issue in the case of males (Rhino, Nekros, Excal, etc).

The fact that this is supposed to be a 'Berzerker' warframe gave hopes that the opporunity would finally be taken.

Edited by RahuStalker

I would actually have thought it was going to look like a female Rhino or at least something comparable to Saryn (which is the only female Warframe that is both tanky AND does not look like a frail teen)

That concept seems to be more adapt at kicking enemies with legs than using her arms. I mean look at the legs and feet.

It would kinda make sense, as by buffing legs you get both kicks and speed, but... if it's Nova's little sister I'm gonna cry.

Why can't we frie...

Whoops, Everything would be so easy if they didn't give her the berserker title, just the next female frame. Problem arise when labels are put on frame/people. (True story bro)

I like the concept but know it is still concept, I'll hold off my opinion till I see the model in-game. We don't need it to be overly buff, I much prefer a lean body type.

Repost from another topic

The fact that this is supposed to be a 'Berzerker' warframe gave hopes that the opporunity would finally be taken.

Exactly.

I cannot believe that Warframe is taking it's queues from Mortal Kombat circa 1994 where they have a 'Female Ninja' model and just pallet swap to make it unique.

I don't think anyone is asking for a stupidly over the top She-Hulk body, just that the frame should look like she can punch stuff without hurting herself. She doesn't need to be huge but she does need to look like she has muscles. Women can be tough and be any shape and size certainly, but in physical terms if you are swinging a Galatine then yeah, you have to be athletic rather than slender. It looks like her arms would snap if she tried doing the charge attack.

There just needs to be more than her. She doesn't need to be masculine, nor does she have to be an amazon. But she REALLY needs to look like she's done some physical training. I mean just look towards the body types you see on female soldiers; people who work out and are used to pulling apart tanks. Not huge, just well toned.

We don't need it to be overly buff, I much prefer a lean body type.

The problem is that we've already got a female Warframe with a lean body type.

In fact, we've got seven of them.

So you can have those, but where's the female Warframes for the people who don't prefer a "lean body type", eh?

The problem is that we've already got a female Warframe with a lean body type.

In fact, we've got seven of them.

So you can have those, but where's the female Warframes for the people who don't prefer a "lean body type", eh?

Not in this game. Can you ask an artist to break their artistic integrity just to pander to the community which I don't even know which is the majority, it seems divided a hundred ways on how it should have looked? This does not mean changing a little bit like stronger arms, but asking the artist to scrap the idea and create a female frame as buff as Rhino.

Funny how you only took that from my post and none about the the bolded part.

Funny how you only took that from my post and none about the the bolded part.

Because at this point I care a lot less about the fact she's a Berserker without any muscle mass ( although that was the original complaint )-- there are a bunch of different arguments about that, including the fact that the suits do all the work anyway, and so muscle doesn't matter.

The reason I responded to the rest of your post was because you said we didn't "need" a buffer female, and that you "preferred" a lean one-- and yet we have seven of those, and no buff ones. Not even a thicker one. And yet we have VERY different male body types in the game; comparing Rhino to Nekros to Vauban and around again? It's not that the artist's "integrity" is on the line with these female designs, and it wouldn't be "pandering" to change them-- what the designers are doing right now is pandering. They're pandering to a sexist double-standard where men in the game are allowed to be diverse, but women all have to be paper-thin with midsections like they're wearing corsets all the time.

It's awful, it's unprofessional, and I expect better.