Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I value the rivens I want to offload and not use?

AuraOfTheDawn

Question

I'm having problems determining what value they sell for, finding unveiled rivens selling anywhere from 5 plat, to 5000 plat. While I doubt I have anything in the latter category, there's so much fluctuation I don't know if I should be looking for 5, 10, 50plat, or what. I know that unrolled rivens are more valuable because if you get one for the right piece of gear, you can reroll it to get the specific effects you want, so I've left them untouched there, but figuring out how to value them based off their weapon type, or how to go about reliably selling one without ripping myself off, I don't know.

Anyone have some credible advice for this?

If it helps price the specific ones, I'm currently staring at a Catchmoon, Dokrahm, Flux rifle, Tetra, quanta, and gaze rivens (none of which are weapons I care enough to want to use), but it'd be better to learn how to determine their value accurately myself.

6 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

Watch this 

That doesn't seem to help me attaching a price tag for rivens I'm basically trying to sell to someone else. it's a nice breakdown on the rarity of specific effects, but unless I know what someones looking for, that doesn't really help me, and helps me less when trying to figure out what the value of a riven for X piece of gear is, regardless of it's stats.

1 hour ago, AuraOfTheDawn said:

I'm having problems determining what value they sell for, finding unveiled rivens selling anywhere from 5 plat, to 5000 plat. While I doubt I have anything in the latter category, there's so much fluctuation I don't know if I should be looking for 5, 10, 50plat, or what. I know that unrolled rivens are more valuable because if you get one for the right piece of gear, you can reroll it to get the specific effects you want, so I've left them untouched there, but figuring out how to value them based off their weapon type, or how to go about reliably selling one without ripping myself off, I don't know.

Anyone have some credible advice for this?

If it helps price the specific ones, I'm currently staring at a Catchmoon, Dokrahm, Flux rifle, Tetra, quanta, and gaze rivens (none of which are weapons I care enough to want to use), but it'd be better to learn how to determine their value accurately myself.

Catchmoon, Gaze, Dookrahm

are unsellable. Because they are kitgun/zaw, neither weapon class is Relevant anymore. You'll notice in Trading people will post "wtb trash rivens, no Kitgun/Zaws". People buy trash rivens so they can Transmute them into Veileds and get chance at something good. However Transmutation results are limited to be within the same weapon class as what was consumed -zaws only produce zaw veilds, but if zaws are irrelevant, then there's no demand.

Tetra and Flux Rifle

Do Not Sell Yet! When Sister of Parvos arrives, the Corpus Liches will be introducing new variants of both of these weapons. (leaked info)

They will drastically increase in value at that point.

on Day 1, hour 1 of that update, try to sell them for at least 5k plat each. timing is critical, has to be within the first hour of the Patch Notes that officially announces those weapons. Expect the price to halve daily after that.

Quanta may or may not be in the same boat as above, I don't recall if it has been leaked as a Corpus Lich weapon or not. if not, its just junk 5-10p. quanta is not popular or meta

First of all, you need to find out whether or not the weapon is popular/meta. I'm not entirely sure how you can figure that out easily.

I normally pay a little bit of attention to how often people bring said weapon to missions, clan chat and community posts in social media (the longer you play the game, the easier you'll figure out a weapon's popularity on your own). I think you can divide weapon popularity into three groups:

1- Collective delusion. This weapon doesn't exist. (not worth trying to sell a riven for it) 

2- Known around the block. (might be worth trying to sell a riven for it)

3- Everyone and their mother loves this weapon. (definitely sell a riven for it)

Second, you need to figure out which stats are the most desirable for said weapon. You can figure that out on your own by just checking that weapon's stats and/or how you mod it (ignore the latter if you're the type that likes to swim against the tide).

Some stats are universally desirable for every weapon, like +Damage and +Multishot (maybe +Attack speed too, but don't quote me on that).

If said weapon benefits more from crit stats, then Crit Chance and Crit Damage will boost your riven's value much further than any other stat, but that's not to say that all other stats are bad and irrelevant. They each have their own value, but other stats' value wouldn't be as high as Crit Chance and Crit Damage (not even universal stats), in this case.

A negative stat that doesn't hurt the weapon will boost any rivens' value, especially the most sought after ones.

Third, you gotta decide whether or not you want to gamble roll the riven.

It's really up to you, your kuva stock and your time.

Unrolled rivens are valuable for weapon popularity 3-, but that won't boost your price by crazy amounts either. At best, you get an extra 50pl~100pl for that on a popular weapon (3-), nothing~30pl on a not-so-popular weapon (2-), and nothing on bottom tier (1-). You only pay extra for unrolled rivens if you're really trying to save those 10k~15k kuva from the first few rolls.

Godroll rivens (the "perfect" roll) don't devalue with number of rolls, nor are boosted by being unrolled. Anyone who tries to devalue your godroll riven because it's been rolled, is trying to scam you or don't know how rivens work. It doesn't matter if it's rolled 1 or 100 times. A godroll riven will not be rolled anymore, because it's already too good, perfect.

The number of rolls affects your riven value THE LEAST. The actual stats and weapon are the biggest players in gauging your riven's worth.

Last, but not least, set your own standards for rivens over time.

How forgettable a weapon must be for you to insta-transmute a riven or sell for 5pl?

How many rolls you wanna put into a riven before trying to sell it (if any)?

Minimum price for OK-ish roll for popularity 2- weapon?

Minimum price for OK-ish roll for popularity 3- weapon?

Maximum price for great roll for popularity 2- weapon?

Maximum price for great roll for popularity 3- weapon?

Among other things you have to find out for yourself.

Don't be draw too much by the 5000pl end of riven sales. That is a [lucky] minority.

There are a lot of people selling OK-ish rivens for 50pl~200pl.

Honorable mentions:

When a new popular weapon is released, it's common to see people pay unreasonable amounts of plat for the trashiest of rolls, but that only lasts for a few days. Try to take advantage of that period. This applies more to new weapons than new variants, as new variants already have a S#&$load of rivens just lying dormant in many people's accounts.

Disposition has no direct impact on riven value, but it might affect popularity.

MR requirement has no impact on riven value.

Most non meta weapon rivens people are picking up for pet projects. I usually dont offer more than 50p if im going to have to roll it myself. I will offer up to 100 plat on a really good roll i might not change.

Expecting to get more than 100-150p for any non meta, non rubico riven is a pipe dream. Ive tried giving away rivens for free and no one wants em.
IMO, if you cant offload a riven after a month just transmute it.

Those energy weapon rivens might be worth holding onto for next update when there will undoubtedly be a demand for some.

Well... the way I view it, is its complicated. You have different variables to consider. A weapons popularity is an obvious factor. In recent times, I have seen Cedo and Epitaph Rivens requested a lot, even if they are trash/unrolled at set high prices (usually over a 100 plat, and its WTB) because even though those weapons disposition for those weapons are weak, they are popular enough, that people will be willing to spend a lot of time and energy (Kuva) to try and get a decent/good roll. 

Then there are hidden gem weapons too... nowhere as popular, but weapons that are decent, and with a powerful Riven, can be extremely powerful. You have a Riven for this type of weapon, lots of people may overlook it for low plat, but a keen eye might be willing to pay larger plat for it. Personally, I view Quanta and Flux as such weapons/Rivens (and Gaze depending on how you build it). 

Then again, its generally pretty easy to get Kitgun rivens for the Kitgun you want, they are usually much cheaper/less desired. That being said... if you have a really good roll... then a person doesn't need to invest time and energy into the weapon. A very well rolled Riven Gaze set up, is a popular alternative to Kuva Nukor, which is going to be nerfed, so its popularity could potentially go up. Then being able to predict the future a little, and people who buy Rivens being knowledgable as well on upcoming changes. Flux Rifle and Tetra are getting Granum/Corpus Lich versions next update. Aforementioned Gaze being a possible Nukor alternative for some. 

Like leaving your Rivens unrolled is a good strategy, for some weapons, but if a lot of people are advertising Rivens for that same Riven, then people are going to gravitate towards the better stats, especially if its for a low dispo Riven, where you need the stats to reach certain thresholds to actually warrant replacing a mod. Like I have Rivens for the Flux Rifle, Bramma, Rubico, Cedo, and Nukor. For the Flux, I get a huge buff, Bramma and Rubico moderate buff (but they are really good Rivens), Cedo is a slight buff and the Nukor... is more of a side grade. If you are familiar with what makes a weapon strong, and your Riven has the stats to warrant replacing another mod, then it can be worth rolling for those stats (if you are willing to invest the time, Kuva, to get the ideal stats) 

Then there are personality factors, like your time and patience. Personally, I suck at the selling aspect with Trade, I often sell low/cheap, so I can move on to do other stuff. An earlier poster mentioned the Quanta being trash, but I adore my Quanta Vandal riven set up, and it doesn't bother me if people think its trash... that just means its dispo will stay strong. I wouldn't sell my Riven for 300 plat! Except... you don't care for your Riven, so you could arguably sell it for 5 plat and benefit... but its possible if you wait around, you'll find someone like me, who might buy it for 100 plat and consider it a deal. Thats an unlikely scenario for a weapon like the Furis though. 

All this and more is why I consider it a bit complicated. Simple version, its really just about your patience and chance/luck, and what you want now VS the possibility of what you might get in the future. Then remember that you are dealing with humans, and we can be odd. Here's an example. The Flux Rifle, the last time I checked had the strongest dispo for a Primary. Its not popular at all. The Riven I have is really powerful stats wise. Makes the gun SP viable. Soon, there is going to be a Granum version, with the next update. Sisters of Pavos weapons are going to be new and shiny. The Granum variant is going to have a really low/weak dispo, like all new weapons do... and the difference between the default and variant is going to be the biggest possible difference between any weapon and its variant/Prime version. Yet... your probably going to be able to sell your Flux Riven for much more in 3 weeks, than you did 3 months ago. Just because more interest. Then again, some people have probably been buying such Rivens these last few weeks, while they are cheap, and the dispo will be low, so you will also have more competition. 

My simple TL;DR advice is, you should try not think about the idea of being ripped off. If you don't care about the weapon the Riven is for, put the price a bit higher than you think its worth, then progressively decrease the price until your patience will allow it, until it sells or you are willing to transmute it. Oh and time and experience helps too, you learn what people are willing to pay for, how often some people check in etc

Good luck! 

Archived