Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are some good mods for early game?

Fotisb32

Question

I started playing 2 weeks ago and recently got to uranus where enemies have been getting harder for me to beat. I searched for a couple builds but the ones I found were using a few prime mods as well as orokin reactors and catalysts which I do not have and don't know where do I get them from. Could you guys tell some early game mods I should equip/get (and from where I can get them if possible). So far I have been using the auto install function and it seemed to work relatively well until now (also a sidenote but almost all my mods are rank 0 exept a rank 2 vitality and redirection since I don't know which mods I should level up and how much as there is a mod limit plus I don't even have that much endo) . The current weapons I am using are: Hek for primary, mk1-kunai for secondery (only to level it up, I also have max rank furis) and just got Amphis for melee. I am MR5 if it matters and also I am using rhino as my warframe (I also have  excalibur, volt, Loki and vauban but I am not sure who is the best to clear the star chart so any advice is greatly appreciated). Thank you in advance and I am sorry if there are any grammatical errors, english is not my native language.

@Fotisb32 since this is an old post, I'm guessing you already got some mods from @LSG501 🤣

To @LittleFreak92's point, also guessing it's a bit too late for that? LOL. But, don't sweat much about selling or keeping flawed mods @Fotisb32. I'm also L1 and I had no problems making cost efficient builds without flawed mods.

In any case, what @krc473 first said was the best answer to your original question plus @Lolacrayola's recent mod info.

GLHF!

✌️

1. Corrupted mods. The full list of corrupted mods can be found here: Category:Corrupted Mods | WARFRAME Wiki | Fandom. These are mods that have a negative stat and a huge positive stat. They are among the most powerful mods in the game and are staples in many builds.

You get them from Deimos mission nodes where a vault spawns randomly on the ruined void tileset. They are not to be confused with isolation vaults which are Necralisk/Cambion Drift bounties.

To open the corrupted vault, you need 1 of 4 different types of dragon key, which you equip on your gearwheel. To guarantee the vault can be opened, it is a common strategy for players to build and equip all 4 keys. Each key gives you some sort of penalty for having them equipped, like really slow movement speed, massive health and shield reduction etc.

The blueprints for these keys are purchased from the Orokin Lab in your dojo. If you do not have a dojo, then these mods are easy to miss.

2. Another subset of important mods are the rare warframe mods like Continuity and Flow, the rare multishot mods (like Split Chamber, Hell's Chamber, Barrel Diffusion) and the critical hit mods (like Vital Sense and Point Strike).

Most of these you can get by smashing treasure room containers in void missions. The void is an area in the startchart with 3 pathways into it. One of these paths is unlocked from Phobos and gives you access to Teshub and Hepit. Some of these mods like Continuity and Flow are direct replacements for the Flawed mods you start out with. Some primed mods are essentially just better versions of these like Primed Continuity and Primed Flow. However, Primed Mods are on a rotation from Baro Ki'teer who only shows up at relays for one weekend, every 2 weeks so you might not find the ones you want for a long time. Its better that you have a regular Continuity/Flow/etc and replace it later when the Primed equivalent shows up in Baro's manifest.

3. Another very important subset of mods is elemental damage mods. The standard ones are uncommon (silver) and give +90% toxin, cold, heat and electricity damage and are regular drops in lots of missions. If you equip 2 of more or these, they can be combined to create secondary elemental damage like viral (toxin + cold), corrosive (toxin + electric), radiation (heat + electric), magnetic (cold + electric), gas (toxin + heat) and blast (heat + cold) damage.

All enemies in the game have a weakness to a particular element. For example, most grineer have yellow health bars (ferrite armour). Corrosive is strong against ferrite. Radiation is strong against alloy armour. Magnetic is strong against shields etc.

4. Once you get to Sedna, you unlock the final pathway into the void (Aten, Marduk, Mithra and Mot). All of these missions with the exception of Marduk can spawn a boss that drops rare toxin mods like this: Virulent Scourge | WARFRAME Wiki | Fandom.

These are colloquially known as 60/60s because when ranked up, they give +60% elemental damage and +60% status chance. They are useful because they enable certain weapons to hit 100% status chance or higher and you can use them to combine secondary elements with very little mod capacity.

You get the heat and cold 60/60s from tier 1 spy missions (Earth, Mars, Phobos, Venus, Mercury). You must successfully complete all 3 spy vaults.

The electricity 60/60s are Baro only, so keep checking the void trader every 2 weeks at a relay to see if he has them.

5. Another class of mods you want to target farm are: Set Mods | WARFRAME Wiki | Fandom

Set mods are usually rewards for completing Plains of Eidolon/Orb Vallis/Cambion Drift bounty stages and the drop tables for them rotate throughout the day.

These are often cheap in terms of mod capacity and have a useful stacking bonus the more of them you equip. Some of them work on your sentinal too such as Augur, Vigilante and Gladiator set mods, so a good way to benefit from this is to use your sentinel and/or their weapon as a container for these mods, so your warframe can get the set bonus.

5. Another useful set of mods to target farm are: Category:Nightmare Mode Mods | WARFRAME Wiki | Fandom

Nightmare mods are obtained from nightmare missions. You can see a list of them under the alerts tab. These are just like regular missions except there is a very bad debuff like, no energy or no shields, or enemies explode on death.

6. If you like melee gameplay you will want the holy trinity of melee damage mods: Blood Rush, Weeping Wounds and Condition Overload. You can get all of them by farming Deimos Necralisk/Cambion Drift bounties. Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds are bounty loot table rewards. Condition Overload is a rare drop from enemies you will encounter while doing these bounties.

7. Special mention to syndicate specific mods. There are Warframe Augment Mods | WARFRAME Wiki | Fandom, which are purchasable from the 6 classic syndicates (Red Veil, New Loka, Perrin Sequence, Steel Meridian, Arbiters of Hexis and Cephalon Suda). You gain syndicate points by just equipping a syndicate sigil and doing any mission. They cost 25,000 points each and some of them are game changers.

If you visit Arbiters of Hexis at any relay, there will be a second vendor that sells Category:Galvanized Mods | WARFRAME Wiki | Fandom. These are extremely powerful gun mods. You can buy them for tokens called Vitus Essence which you get from killing drones in Arbitrations. These are high level missions in the alert tab with perma death. So if you die, you don't respawn. Your teammates need to jump through some hoops to get you back up.

Am 14.12.2021 um 22:40 schrieb Fotisb32:

If I max it and then convert it to endo do I get the 140 endo back or will it be less?

Am 14.12.2021 um 22:34 schrieb Mic.ph:

Yes. While you don't have the regular ones. Then, you can just sell/convert the flawed ones and other extra mods to credits/endo, then use those to upgrade the regular ones once you get them. 👍

Never ever convert flawed mods back into Endo.

Once lost, you cant obtain them anymore.
I'm Legendary 1 and I'd like to use them in cost efficient builds and as placeholder, but since i've dissolved them early in the Game, there is no turning back!
I wish I had known this fact from the beginning.

5 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Seriously, I will give @Fotisb32  the mods that come in those essential mod packs for free (assuming pc), well apart from a random brown mod and a few credits,, I would bet I have most of them (unranked) spare multiple times over.... seriously Fotisb32 don't waste your money on these, it is not worth it. 

Fotisb32, if you want me to do this add me as a friend (same username as forum) in game and give me a shout if you see me.

Wait really? I would seriously appreciate that!

18 hours ago, o1517 said:

Hi can recommend look at Market in game and either trade for or buy the essential mods packs. They are mostly what you need. Just acquire any method you desire.

Seriously, I will give @Fotisb32  the mods that come in those essential mod packs for free (assuming pc), well apart from a random brown mod and a few credits,, I would bet I have most of them (unranked) spare multiple times over.... seriously Fotisb32 don't waste your money on these, it is not worth it. 

Fotisb32, if you want me to do this add me as a friend (same username as forum) in game and give me a shout if you see me.

2 minutes ago, o1517 said:

Hi can recommend look at Market in game and either trade for or buy the essential mods packs. They are mostly what you need. Just acquire any method you desire.

Well since I am fairly new to the game I highly doubt I have anything worth trading so where can I buy them? When you say market do you mean the market that's on the right when I log in to the game or is there another?

6 hours ago, Fotisb32 said:

I searched for a couple builds but the ones I found were using a few prime mods as well as orokin reactors and catalysts which I do not have and don't know where do I get them from.

I'm afraid it's time for you to start Trading to Aquire Platinum...

. I am MR5 if it matters and also I am using rhino as my warframe (I also have  excalibur, volt, Loki and vauban but I am not sure who is the best to clear the star chart so any advice is greatly appreciated).

Definitely Nezha... You can Acquire Nezha from the Tenno Lab in your Clan's Dojo....

You do have a Clan right ? 😱

Could you guys tell some early game mods I should equip/get (and from where I can get them if possible).

But until you get the Fancy Pants mods you see all over YouTube I would suggest trying to get elemental mods... as those matter quite alot  early in Progression. Specifically the Toxin Mods as you will need those to make Corrosive and Viral....... These normally drop from Corpus Enemies ironically...

5 hours ago, Fotisb32 said:

I am only using the kunai for the exp I don't usually use the secondary so I thought I would equip a random one to level it up. Also is the amphis not good? If so which one should I go for?

Whatever you do... Don't sell it...

I don't remember correctly but I believe you need the Amphis to craft another Weapon....

That’s a tough one, since there’s interplay between movement and other game mechanics like resistances, abilities, and weapons.

I’m mildly surprised to hear that the Hek with its high puncture damage isn’t doing as much damage against the armoured level 25-ish Grineer. I would think though that a simple moderately-leveled Heat element mod would help.

Your mk-1 Kunai will definitely need a boost in damage; Hornet Strike and some matched elements will go a long way to giving it a boost.

When it comes to resistances though, especially elemental resistances, don’t expect to use the same weapon for every enemy in a level. I’d recommend equipping a scanner on your gear wheel and looking at some enemies through it; a little readout will appear on the right indicating what the enemy is resistant or weak to, and that can help decide which of the weapons brought to use against them

Regarding mods like Vitality and Redirection, I wouldn’t bother with them too much for the level range of Uranus; as long as you don’t stay in the same place for more than a few seconds (like when melee fighting or aiming at enemies), and keep on the move around the fighting area, your shields will often get a chance to recharge chip damage and your survivability won’t require those mods. Losing shields can be pretty scary, but that mainly means getting a little distance if possible and playing more defensively until they get a chance to recharge a little

edit: just tested the Hek; it hits for okay damage at core power, but a small damage boost in the form of elemental or Puncture wouldn’t go amiss

double edit: I like the Amphis, but with its impact and electricity damage, it wouldn’t be my first choice against the Grineer; it’d find good use against the Corpus, though. If it’s going to match against the Grineer, it’s going to need some help overpowering innate Grineer resistances

2 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

[[Hek for primary ]] Which is Impact based...

The Hek is 65% puncture, 20% slash and 15% impact.  Perhaps you are crossing it up with the sobek or strun.  FWIW, the Hek is perfectly capable of clearing the star chart but I'm sure the OP needs to add a catalyst and get scattered justice and other mods.  Hells chamber, blaze, elemental damage, etc.

45 minutes ago, Fotisb32 said:

It is 140 endo and 6k credits is that expensive for a flawed mod?

In the scheme of things it is cheap. I am not sure how much you will get back for dissolving it, but I got around 70% of my endo back on a rank 5 common mod (Rupture). So if it is anything like that it should be fine.

• Edit: I tried a flawed mod. I put 70 in and got 58 when dissolving. Flawed Ammo Drum, common, level 3.

27 minutes ago, Fotisb32 said:

Is this it?

Yes, that's what @LSG501 is referring to. 👍

P.S.
What I personally did was just sell my extra mods (flawed or regular) for either credits or endo (depending on what I need), but keep at least 1 copy of each mod. Try this out as an option for starters. Doing Maroo's hunt is fine too.

9 minutes ago, Mic.ph said:

Yes. While you don't have the regular ones. Then, you can just sell/convert the flawed ones and other extra mods to credits/endo, then use those to upgrade the regular ones once you get them. 👍

While the flawed mods are usually superseded by the non flawed mods and can be sold DO NOT sell flawed flow.. that actually comes in useful and is actually handy to use on some high mod cost builds.

@Fotisb32 I can't remember if you can do this at your level or not but do the ayatan mission from maroo on a weekly basis, the endo from them soon adds up.. ideally after you've added the stars to the statues.

3 minutes ago, Fotisb32 said:

If I max it and then convert it to endo do I get the 140 endo back or will it be less?

It will be less than what you put in iirc it's around 50% but I'd need to double check the exact amounts

4 minutes ago, Mic.ph said:

1 minute ago, Fotisb32 said:

So I should max it?

5 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I would equip it, if it is cheap to upgrade do that too - not if it will cost a lot. Aim to get a normal one though. It’s a fairly common mod, so you should be able to find one sooner or later. 

It is 140 endo and 6k credits is that expensive for a flawed mod?

11 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

... If you were online, I would've helped already...

Anyway...

Look... the auto-install function, even though its useful when you literally have 1 mod, is more detrimental than helpful. At Saturn or Uranus, you were supposed to know your way around modding. I'm not referring to your MR because that's only an indicative number of what you have collected and "mastered"... And if you chose to take a proper approach, you would've also scanned your enemies and learned about their resistances and vulnerabilities...

Which takes me to the following...

Which is Impact based...

Which is Puncture based...

Which is Impact based... I'm not even going to mention how much of a bad choice that was...

... oh wait, I just did...

Anyway, both armor types of Grineer units provide resistances vs Impact and vulnerabilities vs Puncture... So, if you were wondering why your Hek isn't killing with rank 0 mods, that's why, and your mk1-kunai isn't supposed to be used beyond Earth...

(No one called the Slash zealot and his/her MR-L1 advices that don't fit the MR and game progress of this thread author. Crawl back to the rock you came from.)

I know that its possible to complete the star chart with full Mk1 weaponry... I did it... But I'm not expecting players to do it, and neither is DE... So, you need to choose proper weapons first and then mod them properly without using the auto-install function. One of the things this game offers is room for exploration, which is one of the things you're skipping by using the auto-install function, and ruining yourself in the process.

You can literally clear the Star Chart with anything so~ there's not much of an advice to give in this area except... I don't know, if you're using Rhino then its probably best to also add Steel Fiber and upgrade it with Vitality and Redirection by keeping all 3 at the exact same rank.

... I can give properly detailed advises and explanations ingame, or through the forum private message function.

I am only using the kunai for the exp I don't usually use the secondary so I thought I would equip a random one to level it up. Also is the amphis not good? If so which one should I go for? 

Yeah I figured using the auto install wasn't the best idea but the builds I found online didn't help a lot so that's why I just went with that. Do you have any suggestions as to what general mods should I try to get/equip?

Btw thank you for the help!

5 minutes ago, Fotisb32 said:

I have only the flawed version of hornet strike should I equip and upgrade it or try to get the normal one?

This:

2 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

there isn't really a reason to not use the flawed until getting the regular version.

You'll get the regular ones as you run more missions, so just make use of what you have ATM.

+1 to @krc473's answer. 👍👍

6 minutes ago, Fotisb32 said:

Thank you for taking the time to answer me! I have a question, I have only the flawed version of hornet strike should I equip and upgrade it or try to get the normal one?

I would equip it, if it is cheap to upgrade do that too - not if it will cost a lot. Aim to get a normal one though. It’s a fairly common mod, so you should be able to find one sooner or later. 

Archived