Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[QoL changes] Better HUD customization - Abilities, their timers and their visual/audio clues

SmokinDice

Continuing my work of talking about stuff that is probably really low on most players to-do lists.

I want a better HUD. This HUD is 8 years old at this point and really really outdated, especially when you have bigger monitors now and a much higher resolution than 8 years ago..

20191009203544_1-scaled.jpg?resize=2048,

"Sorry where is my health? ohhhh right, the 3x3 pixels in the far top right. and my important defensive ability duration? oooooooh the tiny tiny egg timer in the far right bottom of my screen where I need to turn my neck like an owl." Now that is an extreme case, and you can upscale the HUD yes, but that also looks VERY ugly.. and it doesn't change the problem at all since the numbers are still stuck to very corner of my screen regardless, no matter the resolution.

so not only do I want a better HUD.. I want a customizable HUD. And I dont mean changing the color, but the actual position of the stuff on the screen, maybe diffrent looks of them as well.

Maybe I want my Healthbar right below my character in the middle of the screen, maybe I want my abilities and cooldowns there. maybe I want my buffs right above my aiming dot. have my energybar at a diffrent place from my abilities. make my ability icons bigger and keep my energy bar small. change my healthbar from numbers to just a big red line and the top of my screen?

I want Options. Maybe I want my HUD to look more like this:

possible-new-hud.jpg

I quickly made this with super expensive software called microsoft paint.

Why even come up with this?

Most of the important defensive abilities have no visual indicator whatsoever, not if they are active or deactive, and even if they have that clue while active, some you want to activate again before they run out.

A better and more interactable user HUD would help alot, where I can move around important numbers on my screen, such as Health, cooldowns, buff timers and ability durations.

An even bigger change would be slight quality of life improvements on many abilities to more cleary telegraph the state they are in.. What you really need is a visual or audio clue that tells you: "hey, your abilitiy is about to run out in 5 seconds" thats what I need to reposition, recast or prepare for it. Because right now for many abilities you have no idea if it is active or deactive unless you look at your buffs or ability timer, which again are really really small and the furthest away from the center of the screen they could possibly be to absolutly make sure you need to completly take away your sight from the action in front of you constantly, over and over again.

or you notice because you randomly just died, because oh S#&$, your 50 seconds duration defensive ability just ran out while you weren't focused 100% on the tiny right bottom vcorner of your screen! how dare you!

Abilties with no audio or visual clue at all:

Chroma, no visiual clue for Vex Armor at all. Meaning no animation while active or when it runs out, no sound while active or when it is about to run out or even runs out.

Gauss, no visiual clue for Kinetic Plating at all

Hildryn I will also put here, since you get no clue about your shield, which is a ressource for you. you need to look at your shield to know if you can still affort having haven active or need to cast pillage. and again, my shield is a very tiny tiny blue pixel line in the far top left of my screen, why can I not have it directly under my character?

Lavos, has no visual or audio clue to let you know if your abilities are ready to be cast, so you always need to check again the bottom right corner of your screen or just try to mash the buttons and hope its ready.

Mesa, no visiual clue for Shatter Shieldat all

Revenant, Mesmer Skin has no real animation and  just turns off and you have to constantly check the amount you have keeping you eyes away from the action.

Titania, her Tribute buffs are at least some what more towards the center of the screen and have a long duration, but thats also a trap that maybe makes you forget about them after 2 minutes. they also have no visual clue at all and just run out if you dont pay attention.

Abilities with (sometimes subtle) visual or audio clues when they are gone, that you want to know before running out regardless to get to a safe spot to recast:

Gauss Redline, you lose tiny particals around you, thats all the clue you get while everything around you explodes. The game wants me to pay attention to 3 small pixels.

Loki, I will put Invisibillity here as well, since it would be really nice to know when it is about to run out, either through a better HUD or a visual clue

Mirage, Hall of Mirrors, it just runs out and you die if you are in the middle of enemies

Mirage, Eclipse another ability that just runs out and you often can't even tell

Rhino, Iron skin is another ability that just turns off and leaves you vulnerable unless you pay constant attention. and the visual loss of metal around you really isn't enough to telegraph to the player how much iron skin is left..

Trinity, while trinity is survivable enough to not instantly die when her Link runs out I would still like to know when they are about to run out. Same goes for Blessing, the ability and the duration of dr buff has no visual or audio clue at all.

Wisp, her Motes, while providing a nice visual clue around you while active, are another ability that just turns off, leaving you vulnerable for attacks.

Zephyr, Turbulence is another ability that just turns off and could turn off in a bad situation if you dont pay constant attention to the timer.

Abilities with visual clue that you really want to recast before they run out:

Gara, Splinterstorm needs to be active at all times or you lose your whole progress on stacking it. the moment it runs out I dont care that I can see that..

Mag, Magnetize is something you could want to have active at all times to protect you, yet you only notice when its gone. It could easily have a pulsating light effect 3-5 seconds (maybe scaling with your duration) before it runs out. Similar to like snow globe when you cast it.

Octavia, all of her spells just turn off, as well as her invis buff. I would really like to know before they do which could easily be done with visual clues that would also be fitting.. or again, better HUD customization to move my skills and buffs below my character so I can see it where I am actually looking at.

Vauban, Bastille is his defensive ability, and same as with mag I would really like to know in advance when it is about to collapse, and same as with mag I would love if it had a pulsating effect or beeping sound 2 seconds before collapsing.

the only abilities that actually have decent amount of visual and audio clue:

Nezha, Warding Halo actually generates the amount of attention I want from a defensive ability, it has a special indicator, it flashes with a bright light when it rouns out, it makes a sound and gives you time to recast it.. that is what I want from all these abilities more or less minus the special indicator (that you also should be able to move around on your screen btw..)

Baruuk, Desolate hands is perfect, since it also doesn't have a duration and you can clearly see the ~ amount of damage reduction you have by watching the daggers around you. and I can recast it without needing to look at the bottom corner.

Embers, the fire around her is a nice indicator and it also has a burn sound when reaching 90%

Wukong, Defy has a special indicator with a bigger circular timer, which helps.

Yareli, her Merulina at least has a special indicator, but also just has a number in it.

2 frames do it right

3 frames do it somewhat right

11 frames do it wrong

7 frames do it very wrong

~15+ frames use gloom (and dont care for duration or visual clues because it is always on, which is another reason why it is so commonly used)

~10 frames dont really interact with duration based defenses or dont care for defenses or dont need clues

5-15 out of 48 frames have a decent way of letting you know what actually is going on with their important abilities at all times.

I need a animation or ping sound to remind me it is about to run out or have my icon in the center of my screen.. otherwise if you dont pay attention for 5 seconds exactly every 30-35 seconds (that you have to count in your head or look at the abyssmally tiny icon egg timer in the bottom corner) the buffs just runs out.

simply adding a simple animation glowing effect to many abilities would already help alot, similar to something like this:

ezgif-4-4525afcd7a.gif

this effect on stuff like vaubans bastille, Mags Magnetize; effects around you like wisps motes, Zephyrs wind; a similar effect around Mesas, Gauss', Chromas or Revenants body shortly before it runs out would already help so so much.. or even more with a low tone beeping sound for 3 seconds or scaling with duration.

again, this is not a life ruining issue and I played the game for 8 years just fine. but I think it is fair to point out that these QoL improvements could vastly increase enjoyment of the gameplay loop.

what are your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, SmokinDice said:

Continuing my work of talking about stuff that is probably really low on most players to-do lists.

I want a better HUD. This HUD is 8 years old at this point and really really outdated, especially when you have bigger monitors now and a much higher resolution than 8 years ago..

Sorry where is my health? ohhhh right, the 3x3 pixels in the far top left. and my important defensive ability duration? oooooooh the tiny tiny egg timer in the far right bottom of my screen where I need to turn my neck like an owl. Now that is an extreme case, and you can upscale the HUD yes, but that also looks VERY ugly..

so not only do I want a better HUD.. I want a customizable HUD. And I dont mean changing the color, but the actual position of the stuff on the screen, maybe diffrent looks of them as well.

Maybe I want my Healthbar right below my character in the middle of the screen, maybe I want my abilities and cooldowns there. maybe I want my buffs right above my aiming dot. have my energybar at a diffrent place from my abilities. make my ability icons bigger and keep my energy bar small. change my healthbar from numbers to just a big red line and the top of my screen?

I want Options.

Reveal hidden contents

j_0DXqeylOwNhJizjuDX96t1CarYZiVZbKCURa36

NAvNywa.png

stuff like this

Most of the important defensive abilities have no visual indicator whatsoever, not if they are active or deactive, and even if they have that clue while active, some you want to activate again before they run out.

A better and more interactable user HUD would help alot, where I can move around important numbers on my screen, such as Health, cooldowns, buff timers and ability durations.

An even bigger change would be slight quality of life improvements on many abilities to more cleary telegraph the state they are in.. What you really need is a visual or audio clue that tells you: "hey, your abilitiy is about to run out in 5 seconds" thats what I need to reposition, recast or prepare for it. Because right now for many abilities you have no idea if it is active or deactive unless you look at your buffs or ability timer, which again are really really small and the furthest away from the center of the screen they could possibly be to absolutly make sure you need to completly take away your sight from the action in front of you constantly, over and over again.

or you notice because you randomly just died, because oh S#&$, your 50 seconds duration defensive ability just ran out while you weren't focused 100% on the tiny right bottom vcorner of your screen! how dare you!

Chroma, no visiual clue for Vex Armor at all. Meaning no animation while active or when it runs out, no sound while active or when it is about to run out or even runs out.

Hildryn I will also put here, since you get no clue about your shield, which is a ressource for you. you need to look at your shield to know if you can still affort having haven active or need to cast pillage. and again, my shield is a very tiny tiny blue pixel line in the far top left of my screen, why can I not have it directly under my character?

Lavos, has no visual or audio clue to let you know if your abilities are ready to be cast, so you always need to check again the bottom right corner of your screen or just try to mash the buttons and hope its ready.

Revenant, Mesmer Skin has no real animation and  just turns off and you have to constantly check the amount you have keeping you eyes away from the action.

Titania, her Tribute buffs are at least some what more towards the center of the screen and have a long duration, but thats also a trap that maybe makes you forget about them after 2 minutes. they also have no visual clue at all and just run out if you dont pay attention.

Abilities with (sometimes subtle) visual or audio clues when they are gone, that you want to know before running out regardless to get to a safe spot to recast:

Gauss Redline, you lose tiny particals around you, thats all the clue you get while everything around you explodes. The game wants me to pay attention to 3 small pixels.

Loki, I will put Invisibillity here as well, since it would be really nice to know when it is about to run out, either through a better HUD or a visual clue

Mirage, Hall of Mirrors, it just runs out and you die if you are in the middle of enemies

Mirage, Eclipse another ability that just runs out and you often can't even tell

Rhino, Iron skin is another ability that just turns off and leaves you vulnerable unless you pay constant attention. and the visual loss of metal around you really isn't enough to telegraph to the player how much iron skin is left..

Trinity, while trinity is survivable enough to not instantly die when her Link runs out I would still like to know when they are about to run out. Same goes for Blessing, the ability and the duration of dr buff has no visual or audio clue at all.

Wisp, her Motes, while providing a nice visual clue around you while active, are another ability that just turns off, leaving you vulnerable for attacks.

Zephyr, Turbulence is another ability that just turns off and could turn off in a bad situation if you dont pay constant attention to the timer.

Gara, Splinterstorm needs to be active at all times or you lose your whole progress on stacking it. the moment it runs out I dont care that I can see that..

Mag, Magnetize is something you could want to have active at all times to protect you, yet you only notice when its gone. It could easily have a pulsating light effect 3-5 seconds (maybe scaling with your duration) before it runs out. Similar to like snow globe when you cast it.

Octavia, all of her spells just turn off, as well as her invis buff. I would really like to know before they do which could easily be done with visual clues that would also be fitting.. or again, better HUD customization to move my skills and buffs below my character so I can see it where I am actually looking at.

Vauban, Bastille is his defensive ability, and same as with mag I would really like to know in advance when it is about to collapse, and same as with mag I would love if it had a pulsating effect or beeping sound 2 seconds before collapsing.

Nezha, Warding Halo actually generates the amount of attention I want from a defensive ability, it has a special indicator, it flashes with a bright light when it rouns out, it makes a sound and gives you time to recast it.. that is what I want from all these abilities more or less minus the special indicator (that you also should be able to move around on your screen btw..)

Baruuk, Desolate hands is perfect, since it also doesn't have a duration and you can clearly see the ~ amount of damage reduction you have by watching the daggers around you. and I can recast it without needing to look at the bottom corner.

Embers, the fire around her is a nice indicator and it also has a burn sound when reaching 90%

Yareli, her Merulina at least has a special indicator, but also just has a number in it.

2 frames do it right

11 frames do it wrong

~15+ frames use gloom (and dont care for duration or visual clues because it is always on, which is another reason why it is so commonly used)

~10 frames dont really interact with duration based defenses or dont care for defenses or dont need clues

5-15 out of 48 frames have a decent way of letting you know what actually is going on with their important abilities at all times.

I need a animation or ping sound to remind me it is about to run out or have my icon in the center of my screen.. otherwise if you dont pay attention for 5 seconds exactly every 30-35 seconds (that you have to count in your head or look at the abyssmally tiny icon egg timer in the bottom corner) the buffs just runs out.

again, this is not a life ruining issue and I played the game for 8 years just fine. but I think it is fair to point out that these QoL improvements could vastly increase enjoyment of the gameplay loop.

what are your thoughts?

But there is option to scale hud so wtf or are you at max already??
Anyway you should then ask for better SCALE and option to position it at your will and you would be set

WfOUWYU.png

4 minutes ago, ZeroX4 said:

But there is option to scale hud so wtf or are you at max already??
Anyway you should then ask for better SCALE and option to position it at your will and you would be set

WfOUWYU.png

I explained in the sentence below the picture that just scaling the HUD doesn't fix any issue whatsoever because the numbers are still on the corner of the screen.. which is such an outdated place for important information, no matter the monitor or resolution, you will need to take your eyes off the center of the screen to check this information over and over, which is not fun, not good for your eyes or your neck.

5 minutes ago, SmokinDice said:

I explained in the sentence below the picture that just scaling the HUD doesn't fix any issue whatsoever because the numbers are still on the corner of the screen.. which is such an outdated place for important information, no matter the monitor or resolution, you will need to take your eyes off the center of the screen to check this information over and over, which is not fun, not good for your eyes or your neck.

Isn't there an option to specifically scale HUD margins from the borders?

5 minutes ago, -Krism- said:

Isn't there an option to specifically scale HUD margins from the borders?

This makes any mod pickup show up in the middle and block your field of vision constantly. This is especially an issue in survivals. Why is there no option to turn it off? I agree with OP, there are so many easy QoL things they could do if they just wanted to. But instead we had pointless UI rewamps in the past, just to look prettier, not more functional. Remember the hover menus?? 

Totally agree with OP. This game's HUD is just so damn ugly, unintuitive and useless. Been dreading this HUD for so damn long, DE never tried to change it.

The tweak options just doesn't cut for me. The buffs are non-existent, so many icons that doesn't mean sh*t. Cooldowns not properly shown. 

You'd figure after 9 f*cking years they'd come up with something nice? 

Am 22.4.2022 um 18:32 schrieb SmokinDice:

"Sorry where is my health? ohhhh right, the 3x3 pixels in the far top right. and my important defensive ability duration? oooooooh the tiny tiny egg timer in the far right bottom of my screen where I need to turn my neck like an owl." Now that is an extreme case, and you can upscale the HUD yes, but that also looks VERY ugly.. and it doesn't change the problem at all since the numbers are still stuck to very corner of my screen regardless, no matter the resolution.

I want Options. Maybe I want my HUD to look more like this:

possible-new-hud.jpg

I quickly made this with super expensive software called microsoft paint.

2 frames do it right

11 frames do it wrong

simply adding a simple animation glowing effect to many abilities would already help alot, similar to something like this:

ezgif-4-4525afcd7a.gif

this effect on stuff like vaubans bastille, Mags Magnetize; effects around you like wisps motes, Zephyrs wind; a similar effect around Mesas, Gauss', Chromas or Revenants body shortly before it runs out would already help so so much.. or even more with a low tone beeping sound for 3 seconds or scaling with duration.

what are your thoughts?

that was my suggestion long ago too. i waited many years and they dont seem to care! even child should understand that all important information SHOULD BE IN THE MIDDLE! and not in the ass of the world.................

there was even joke about quake III aimbot. all screen was dark and u can only see cursor... u should press mouse 1 when u see enemy here........ cant find it. but this was the point!

I agree. In fact every action game HUD should be centered around the reticle or other focal point, and it frustrates me how few game developers understand that. Like, I can count on one hand the number of games with an actually good and useful HUD.

Even the age arguement doesn't apply here. Look at this:

maxresdefault.jpg

This is the hud of Planetside 2 (screenshot is not mine), a game one year older than Warframe. All the most important information is right around your reticle. You got health bar below, ability energy to the left and ammo count in the magazine to the right. And it is in the game from 2012!

How is this not a standart?

Gerade eben schrieb ant99999:

I agree. In fact every action game HUD should be centered around the reticle or other focal point, and it frustrates me how few game developers understand that. Like, I can count on one hand the number of games with an actually good and useful HUD.

Even the age arguement doesn't apply here. Look at this:

maxresdefault.jpg

This is the hud of Planetside 2 (screenshot is not mine), a game one year older than Warframe. All the most important information is right around your reticle. You got health bar below, ability energy to the left and ammo count in the magazine to the right. And it is in the game from 2012!

How is this not a standart?

this is sure not the best example. but i know what u mean. i played ps2 to long and its dead game. but your point is right: we focus in the middle and ignore information in the corner! this should be obvious!

6 hours ago, Battle.Mage said:

i played ps2 to long and its dead game.

I'm not sure how is this relevant to the hud composition, but anyways I play it from time to time, and the last time was like three days ago. And it certainly does not look dead for me.

Games with great hud don't die so easily, I refuse to believe it!

From the elements we saw debut in The New War, HUD customization as an expansion of an adjustable UI has been something I've been seriously dreaming of for a while now. There's a lot of elements that sort of... clash, or are straight-up missing, there being this visual dissonance that really makes all the disparate elements show their age. (Seeing Exploiter's heat gauge just... floating in a corner of my screen, rather than attached to her large HP bar, just feels... so bad on my eyes.) Both having the whole system get a fresh coat of paint, as well as all the disparate elements woven together so they look nice, plus giving everyone options about what information is where and what it looks like... well, maybe I'm exaggerating, but I feel like it'd make the game itself feel a lot smoother to play. (And hey - I'd be willing to dig into my platinum reserves for various HUD themes, too...!)

Various MMOs I've seen allow for pretty much every sort of "zone" of the screen to be designated to various UI elements, and the actual designs of these elements be adjusted - from simple bars and numbers to more elaborate, flashy & artistic elements. I get that this probably would be a headache for D.E. to build from the ground-up, since there's so much stuff they'd need to build around this (past and planned future UI elements, special quest segments, etc) - but it's something I hope to see done someday. 

Archived