Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Radiation griefing change suggestion

Damocles

Every so often I go into sorties with a radiation hazard or enemy elemental enhancement being radiation. I find players just intentionally and/or unintentionally griefing the mission by way of CC trolling, killing the objective, or killing other players. These rare but toxic encounters had negatively affected me for when it does happen and I strongly believe it needs to be addressed.

With this in mind, can the radiation procc simple enable allies to deal damage to the effected player instead? ie:
If player A gets hit by radiation, then players B, C, and D, may deal damage to A, but A cannot deal damage to B, C, nor D

I think this would be an appropriate change so that intentionally contracting radiation procc no longer provides the effected player the ability to start shooting allies while maintaining the penalty for not avoiding such a procc by allowing allies to deal damage in return.

17 minutes ago, Damocles said:

If player A gets hit by radiation, then players B, C, and D, may deal damage to A, but A cannot deal damage to B, C, nor D

So instead of player A griefing players B, C and D, players B, C and D get to grief player A?

I'm not sure this is a solution.

Additionally, you said the griefing from radiation is, in your opinion, a "rare" encounter. Players can grief for a variety of reasons. If it were commonplace for this kind of griefing to occur then sure, maybe it should be changed. Personally I have never seen any intentional radiation griefing so I'm inclined to think your claim that this is rare is completely accurate.

This is also a big issue in Lich and Sister Fights where innate radiation weapons are common to wield.

There are some ways of prevent griefing attempts such as finding a source of status effect resistance that can be applied onto allies such as spellbind.

I don't think your suggestion is the right one though but there are ways of getting around the problem.

42 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

They probably want you guys to use things like https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Arcane_Healing

Why try to get these changes when you simply slot an arcane? 

There are no radiation endurance missions.....so you only need to wear it for a 5 minute mission.

that won't help you at all because even if you are protected from radiation status the other people in the mission won't be and can happily nuke you into oblivion.

While radiation hazard sorties are on the rare side what isn't rare is radiation sisters, and sisters encourage you to group up to get hound part drops and 4 guaranteed corrupted holokeys. Swear to god every second person is making radiation sister simply because the element is so useful on weapons. It's gotten so bad I stay outside the room we're fighting the sister in after the first time a player kills me.

The worst part about the whole radiation friendly fire is a lot of the people aren't even griefing they are legitimately trying to help while their arquebex nukes me into orbit, or their wuclone shanks me in the spine. Radiation needs a different effect, you can't out play this one except by not playing with it at all. You can't mod away this problem, and you can't even use the arcane that prevents radiation status because it only protects you not the others on your team. Give it a different effect or give us a way to effectively prevent the entire team from being affected by radiation.

33 minutes ago, (PSN)Stealth_Cobra said:

As long as mission objectives are immune (aka not oneshotting a mobile defense terminal by mistake), the whole point of rad proc is sometimes getting the kill on another player by mistake or intentionally.

I'm not necessarily saying I do it, but if a Saryn or Mesa in the team gets rad procced, then whatever happens, happens. Very frequently. And with extreme prejudice.

Or they accidentally shoot me and down themselves. I love Revenant.

15 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

that won't help you at all because even if you are protected from radiation status the other people in the mission won't be and can happily nuke you into oblivion.

While radiation hazard sorties are on the rare side what isn't rare is radiation sisters, and sisters encourage you to group up to get hound part drops and 4 guaranteed corrupted holokeys. Swear to god every second person is making radiation sister simply because the element is so useful on weapons. It's gotten so bad I stay outside the room we're fighting the sister in after the first time a player kills me.

The worst part about the whole radiation friendly fire is a lot of the people aren't even griefing they are legitimately trying to help while their arquebex nukes me into orbit, or their wuclone shanks me in the spine. Radiation needs a different effect, you can't out play this one except by not playing with it at all. You can't mod away this problem, and you can't even use the arcane that prevents radiation status because it only protects you not the others on your team. Give it a different effect or give us a way to effectively prevent the entire team from being affected by radiation.

You also have rolling guard and your operator.

The game is using a mechanic that's been in games for a long time: it used to be called "confusion". 

The mechanic wants to see if the player can actually pay attention....by seeing the red debuff icon next to their name....they should make an attempt adjust their playstyle according to the debuff.

It takes 1 second to kill your clone as wukong by holding down the 1 ability, so that's was on the player for not paying attention. 

If this game is planning to add raids, more things like this are gonna happen so you should learn to be prepared for missions because that's a normal thing expected from the players. 

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

You also have rolling guard and your operator.

The game is using a mechanic that's been in games for a long time: it used to be called "confusion". 

The mechanic wants to see if the player can actually pay attention....by seeing the red debuff icon next to their name....they should make an attempt adjust their playstyle according to the debuff.

It takes 1 second to kill your clone as wukong by holding down the 1 ability, so that's was on the player for not paying attention. 

If this game is planning to add raids, more things like this are gonna happen so you should learn to be prepared for missions because that's a normal thing expected from the players. 

radiation wasn't added to "make you pay attention" Radiation damage originally only came from void lasers, at it's inception it was supposed to be easy to avoid and not a status effect that was even possible to get outside of the void. Even within just the void keys this was a problem though because players who felt like wasting your time would get themselves rad procced then kill the objective on wave 19. Then Damage 2.0 happened and suddenly radiation was in the hands of players and people would use self damage to rad proc themselves and murder their teammates and objectives all over the starchart. The ability to rad proc yourself was removed far sooner than the ability to cause self damage, so clearly it was deemed not healthy for the game. Then of course because DE seems to take multiple occasions to apply the same lessons to future content we got radiation sorties where again players could kill the objective and other players. This time they removed the ability to kill your own objectives leaving the status effect as is because it was another controlled environment where you should expect it. Then along came sisters and once more radiation is a glaring issue.

There are so many debuff and buff icons constantly going off in a group match that little icon at the top with no label is not an acceptable tell tale. It's very clear the player base after having that icon for literal years is incapable of identifying it. This was the same problem bullet attractor had when it was cast on a player you couldn't tell until you killed yourself.

You want to leave radiation as is? Fine give me an option to mod/arcane out of friendly fire so I can have a loadout to use for this, Make status effect way WAY more obvious so other players actually know they're the ones killing everyone. Or make it so being affected by rad means to take but do not dish out friendly fire so it's up to you to protect yourself.

Friendly fire in warframe doesn't work because it's a horde game full of explosives and status de/buffs that fly around like confetti. When you have to rely on your teammates to not be full bricks for brains and pay attention it doesn't work.

53 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

You want to leave radiation as is? Fine give me an option to mod/arcane out of friendly fire so I can have a loadout to use for this, Make status effect way WAY more obvious so other players actually know they're the ones killing everyone. Or make it so being affected by rad means to take but do not dish out friendly fire so it's up to you to protect yourself.

Not sure if it's the answer you want, but you can take Revenant into missions you know for certain is going to contain radiation damage. Mesmer Skin, among a lot of other things, makes you immune to status effects. If a player hits you, their damage simply takes away one stack of the buff and gets reflected back at them. It's also great for Liches and Sisters, because reflections stun them. Just stack very high power strength to increase Mesmer Skin charges and also grab cast speed. If you want to be extra cautious, get Rolling Guard in case charges run out.

I've never had a problem with radiation since I started maining him, and all I've got on him are mods that improve his powers. No HP, shields, armor, augments, or anything.

19:14:43 - <Panzer Vulpaphyla> downed at 2 health from - using a OctaviaPrime
19:14:43 - <Corpus Systems> killed by 760 damage at 325 health from - using a OctaviaPrime
19:14:44 - <L3512> downed at 346 health from - using a OctaviaPrime
19:17:01 - <Corpus Systems> killed by 120,325 damage at 6,275 health from L3512 using a CrpGunbladeWeapon

9 hours ago, Drasiel said:

The worst part about the whole radiation friendly fire is a lot of the people aren't even griefing they are legitimately trying to help while their arquebex nukes me into orbit

Necramechs are immune to status effects, so this should only happen if you have the proc. It's still not a great experience though, especially as the arquebex is not a precision weapon, so it's hard to avoid getting hit by it if that happens.

9 hours ago, Drasiel said:

or give us a way to effectively prevent the entire team from being affected by radiation.

We do have Spellbind and Fire Walker as subsumable abilities that can sort of address this, although neither is a perfect solution. Spellbind requires range and duration to be useful for this, and that doesn't suit every build, while Fire Walker requires people to stand on the patches to stay status immune. There's also the Purifying Flames augment for Fire Blast, and Empowered Quiver for Quiver, which also have their downsides and subsuming an ability and using an augment is a rather large investment for an imperfect solution.

I'd really like some ability that prevents / cures status effects for everyone in affinity range, just because the affinity icon gives a visual indicator one can use to make sure you're hitting the entire squad.

27 minutes ago, L3512 said:
19:14:43 - <Panzer Vulpaphyla> downed at 2 health from - using a OctaviaPrime
19:14:43 - <Corpus Systems> killed by 760 damage at 325 health from - using a OctaviaPrime
19:14:44 - <L3512> downed at 346 health from - using a OctaviaPrime

I feel that the effect of radiation on players is poorly explained in game, and consequently destroying the objective is a rite of passage many players go through when they start playing sorties, simply because they have no idea of the risks involved,

Archived