Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Add Shield Regeneration to Gyre's Coil Horizon

DrBorris

Gyre needs some help, she arguably needs a lot of help, but a full rework is likely not in the cards. If we can only get one change I think the following would do the most for Gyre. 

Enemies hit by Coil Horizon's implosion generate 50 shields for Gyre per enemy hit. Enemies hit by the gyratory sphere directly generate triple (150) that amount. Will generate Overshields. 

In my opinion the worst feeling part of Gyre's kit is that she has nothing she can do to respond to taking damage. You are basically forced to fully disengage with no active options to get back in the fight faster. Giving Gyre some form of shield generation is a way to let Gyre get back in the fight without turning her into a traditionally tanky frame. And in my opinion putting that shield regeneration on Coil Horizon makes the most sense.

• If shield regeneration was on the initial impact of Arcshpere it would encourage spamming your domes instead of letting them be an area denial that they are clearly designed to be.
  • Shield regeneration on the DoT of Arcshpere would turn it into a passive action and would basically make Gyre unkillable even if it only gave 1 shield per damage instance (shield gate go brr).
  • A shield regen perk on Cathode Grace wouldn't beget any active gameplay. A "shield on crit" effect or the like just turns into infinite shields all the time. It also wouldn't feel very good to have no survivability option if the ability were on cooldown.
  • Rotorswell: Much like the options with Arcshpere and Cathode Grace, a passive shield regen for enemies hit would turn Gyre into a shield tank. That isn't the goal here, Gyre doesn't need to "tank", she just needs a survivability option in her kit. 

Shield regeneration on Coil Horizon fits with its use case as either a proactive or reactive ability. You can use Coil Horizon to react to a group of enemies that is causing you pain, getting some shields back that will let you get back in the fight faster. Or when you are using Coil Horizon in a proactive fashion it can give you a bit of buffer survivability. Coil Horizon is also not a fully spamable ability, you won't be able to constantly regenerating your shields and still have to be conscious of your survivability. 

A frame should not need the Augur mods, Brief Respite, or Rolling Guard to function. 

1 hour ago, DrBorris said:

Gyre needs some help

Yes

she arguably needs a lot of help

No

Enemies hit by Coil Horizon's implosion generate 50 shields for Gyre per enemy hit. Enemies hit by the gyratory sphere directly generate triple (150) that amount. Will generate Overshields

Love this

Additionally: Each active Arcsphere increases Gyre's shield regeneration rate by x%

17 hours ago, DrBorris said:

Enemies hit by Coil Horizon's implosion generate 50 shields for Gyre per enemy hit. Enemies hit by the gyratory sphere directly generate triple (150) that amount. Will generate Overshields. 

As Coil Horizon is her Helminth ability, I worry that this will make Gyre the new Sevagoth.  I see Gloom 1-2 times almost every mission.  I see Sevagoth maybe once a month.  Easy access to an enemy grouping ability + shield gating could be a bit too powerful on other frames, though I don't hate the idea on Gyre herself.

Coil Horizon is already arguably better than other Helminth grouping abilities, like Airburst and (nerfed) Larva.

2 minutes ago, sunderthefirmament said:

As Coil Horizon is her Helminth ability, I worry that this will make Gyre the new Sevagoth.  I see Gloom 1-2 times almost every mission.  I see Sevagoth maybe once a month.  Easy access to an enemy grouping ability + shield gating could be a bit too powerful on other frames, though I don't hate the idea on Gyre herself.

Coil Horizon is already arguably better than other Helminth grouping abilities, like Airburst and (nerfed) Larva.

Then nerf the Helminth version. Don't balance a frame around Helminth.

Although I don't know if it would be that universally wanted. Larva (hold enemies for a duration)/Airburst (succ them fast)/Ensnare (pls no ragdoll) have solid niches and Pillage gives considerably more shields (and an armor strip). It is also still an active ability, Gloom is so popular because it makes your frame tanky all the time without you having to micro-manage things.

I don't have her yet, so no opinion on Gyre.  But...

Then nerf the Helminth version. Don't balance a frame around Helminth.

...just want to  support this statement.  It's so weird Gloom never got this treatment.

3 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

...just want to  support this statement.  It's so weird Gloom never got this treatment.

Because if they nerfed Gloom, then the few frames that are seeing a resurgence in use are going right back into the junk pile again. 

48 minutes ago, ZenHare said:

Because if they nerfed Gloom, then the few frames that are seeing a resurgence in use are going right back into the junk pile again. 

Personally I think there was plenty of room to tone Gloom down as an injected ability while still having it be impactful.   

I still think that's likely true, but I'm reserving judgement until I play with it post-eximus rework.

22 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Because nerfing gloom only makes it more useful?

They'd probably do the obvious thing, which is give it reduced range for helminth. Possibly reduce the stat multipliers too

but that just means it'll be more energy efficient, since smaller radius = fewer enemies draining

doesn't really hurt the main reason to Infuse Gloom, -granting a health steal to frames that don't have their own method to regen

36 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

They'd probably do the obvious thing, which is give it reduced range for helminth.

I disagree that that's the obvious thing, but I don't want to detour the thread anymore than I already have.

Archived