Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Augment mod slots?

XxElthonxX

So we all know what all augment mods or, but for the sake of newer players somehow encountering this post, the gist of it is that it's basically a mod that enhances a specific Warframe ability. Now, some of them are fun to use, but to other players they see most of them as a waste of mod slots. So, I propose a suggestion for this

Since we have exilus mods, why not add another mod slot for augment mods that works similarly to exilus slots. This way, players can find a way to fit in one augment, and if ever, some may even be able to use multiple augment mods without hindering a lot of stats they get from the others mods. I don't know how many would agree, but then again I mostly play the game for fun and I myself like messing around with various augment mods, although it does feel like sometimes I'd rather put a duration or strength mod, so I think a new 'Augment' slot would solve this issue. 

Anyway, this is just all in my own honest opinion. I'm open to constructive criticism, and I do apologize if I've made any grammatical mistakes considering that English isn't my first language. Thanks for taking your time to read, and hope you have a nice day/night :)

No more mod slots. There has been a ridiculous amount of power creep with all the slots added already. Exilus slot on warframes, exilus slot on weapons, arcane slots on warframes, arcane slots on amps, arcane slots on weapons.

We can't just add a new slot every time people wants to fit something new into their build.

add a augment slot or make half the augments part of their abilities by default, like Ash is a poor frame that is only great IF you use augments and he needs 3 augments to make it worthwile to even use his first 3 abilities.

there are several warframes that also have this issue.

so please either make a augment slot or make 50% of the augments part of their base abilities.

If Augments were really Augments, then having a Mod slot like this would be fine.

You slot it in and you change fundamentally how an ability works.

Soul Punch revive, turn Nekros into this Friendly Necromancer with the Augment. All the +Element to weapon fire, turn them into team support by adding in Extra Damage types. The Fire Kick augment turns your defense Firewalk into an offensive ability.

It's these kind of Augments that would cause having Augment slots not be 'Powercreep'. But when you have Augments that are quite literally just +Additional Bonus effect without any kind of change to how you play them, it becomes power creep.

Nidus +Crit on an ability that you'll already use on many enemies. Wisp +Crit on teleporting to Resovoirs, then you'll already do. Biting Frost.

THese are just BUFFS that do nothing but just make an ability stronger rather than Augment them, and they SUCK. Remove them or rework them sot hat they're actually Augments rather than DE slapping on a Band Aid to bad abilities.

4 hours ago, XxElthonxX said:

So we all know what all augment mods or, but for the sake of newer players somehow encountering this post, the gist of it is that it's basically a mod that enhances a specific Warframe ability. Now, some of them are fun to use, but to other players they see most of them as a waste of mod slots. So, I propose a suggestion for this

Since we have exilus mods, why not add another mod slot for augment mods that works similarly to exilus slots. This way, players can find a way to fit in one augment, and if ever, some may even be able to use multiple augment mods without hindering a lot of stats they get from the others mods. I don't know how many would agree, but then again I mostly play the game for fun and I myself like messing around with various augment mods, although it does feel like sometimes I'd rather put a duration or strength mod, so I think a new 'Augment' slot would solve this issue. 

Anyway, this is just all in my own honest opinion. I'm open to constructive criticism, and I do apologize if I've made any grammatical mistakes considering that English isn't my first language. Thanks for taking your time to read, and hope you have a nice day/night :)

Pablo said no to this on a stream a few weeks ago

2 minutes ago, CosoMalvadoNG said:

Pablo said no to this on a stream a few weeks ago

Yeah, ngl, was pretty disappointed

I mean, in low levels like fissures or whatever, I throw augments on for giggles, otherwise they will never see the light of day (with a few exceptions)

26 minutes ago, (XBOX)Skippy575 said:

Pablo said no to a dedicated slot, and you cannot make them work as exilus either as those are reserved for mobility or utility mods.

Why does everyone say this? A lot of augments already are exilus.

38 minutes ago, CrownOfShadows said:

Right but WHY does this slot have to be that? WHY can't we expand it to include all augments?

You said you were disappointed with what Pablo said, but did you watch the video yourself?  He explained his reasoning there.   That doesn't mean you have to like or agree with that reasoning, but it should answer the "why".

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

You said you were disappointed with what Pablo said, but did you watch the video yourself?  He explained his reasoning there.   That doesn't mean you have to like or agree with that reasoning, but it should answer the "why".

I did actually, watched it live. He didn't talk about the exilus at all. Brozime asked him about a dedicated augment slot and he talked about build diversity being his main reason for not wanting an augment slot.

1 minute ago, CrownOfShadows said:

I did actually, watched it live. He didn't talk about the exilus at all. Brozime asked him about a dedicated augment slot and he talked about build diversity being his main reason for not wanting an augment slot.

He didn't explicitly do so, no.  But I feel his answer about the value of limited slots implicitly covers the exilus question too.  Augments competing with powerful mods for regular slots has great value in his opinion.  Why would he want non exilus augments to be easier to slot without competing with powerful, regular mods?  It's then an augment slot with exilus sprinkles on top.

Again, I'm not saying you need to agree with him.  Nor that you need to stop asking for an augment slot, nor that the lead designer being against it right now means it will never happen.

I just think the "why" is no mystery at all.

16 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

He didn't explicitly do so, no.  But I feel his answer about the value of limited slots implicitly covers the exilus question too.  Augments competing with powerful mods for regular slots has great value in his opinion.  Why would he want non exilus augments to be easier to slot without competing with powerful, regular mods?  It's then an augment slot with exilus sprinkles on top.

Again, I'm not saying you need to agree with him.  Nor that you need to stop asking for an augment slot, nor that the lead designer being against it right now means it will never happen.

Sounds right

54 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

A dedicated augment slot would indeed cut down on build diversity a bit, I don't argue that.

Making all augments exilus would not however, they are not the same thing. The reason for this is because it's competing against all the exilus mods, most especially Primed Sure Footed (which imo shouldn't even be an exilus mod itself but w/e) - but also things like Rush, Preparation, Coaction Drift, etc.

So the build diversity - that is competition for mod space in a build - is preserved with an exilus solution, the competition has just been moved to fight against other exilus mods instead of the core build mods. Given the general role of exilus, not only is this thematically appropriate imo, but it's also appropriate that they should be competing with something more in their own category (exilus are actually more like augments themselves) rather than against core mods.

In fact, Primed Sure Footed outclasses pretty much every single augment, so it's not even that great a solution, but I think it would go a long way towards helping people find an excuse to use augments. The whole point of asking for augment slots and for making augments exilus is quite simply because we never get to use them (with the essential exception), which is a bit a shame. The fact that we never use them also means that they really aren't even competing, so ironically, making them all exilus might actually increase 'build diversity', that is to say, the competition in the exilus slot will heat up, which isn't a bad thing, especially with how disgustingly dominant PSF is.

Now, will this cool off competition in the core slots? Of course not, there a ton of mods salivating at the mouth for a chance to eek their way in there. Most importantly of all, because most people won't sacrifice PSF even for an essential augment, the augments will still actually compete in the core slots. That's the true beauty of it - they're still flex - they can go either place.

1 hour ago, CrownOfShadows said:

A dedicated augment slot would indeed cut down on build diversity a bit, I don't argue that.

Making all augments exilus would not however, they are not the same thing. The reason for this is because it's competing against all the exilus mods, most especially Primed Sure Footed (which imo shouldn't even be an exilus mod itself but w/e) - but also things like Rush, Preparation, Coaction Drift, etc.

So the build diversity - that is competition for mod space in a build - is preserved with an exilus solution, the competition has just been moved to fight against other exilus mods instead of the core build mods. Given the general role of exilus, not only is this thematically appropriate imo, but it's also appropriate that they should be competing with something more in their own category (exilus are actually more like augments themselves) rather than against core mods.

I don't think simplifying it down to build diversity quite does justice to what he expresses as being valuable in the video.  It's not adequate either, but I think a better two word synopsis is "hard choices", which in turn encourages build diversity.  Whether it's an augment slot or making them all eligible for exilus, that's reducing the difficulty of our current choices.  If for no other reason than that people who are already using non-exilus augments would suddenly have an open slot for ye olde Transient Fortitude or Rolling Guard or whatever.  (Which describes me, as I nearly always use an augment and often two.  The only frame I never do is Harrow.)

I disagree with your statement that augments and exilus are inherently similar to each other.  I do agree PSF does too much for an exilus, and if it didn't exist, the dissonance with slapping augments into the exilus slot would be more clear.  Same if there weren't too many augments that felt inadequate or uninteresting.  Which is the only concrete reservation I recall Pablo having about the current system.  It gave me some hope he might work on that, but given the last batch of augment revisions my expectations aren't high.

10 hours ago, CrownOfShadows said:

Ah here we go again lol.

I'll summarize my previous exploration of this issue:

Power creep due to an augment slot would be negligible.

Instead of an augment slot, just make all augments exilus.

This is a great idea, frankly.

Archived